Start by marking “Nice Girls Finish Fat: Put Yourself First and Change Your Eating Forever” as Want to Read:
Nice Girls Finish Fat: Put Yourself First and Change Your Eating Forever

Nice Girls Finish Fat: Put Yourself First and Change Your Eating Forever

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
From a therapist and expert in emotional eating, the first book to explore the link between weight gain and women who do too much, complete with proven techniques for dropping pounds.

Many women put too much on their plates, both literally and figuratively. In Nice Girls Finish Fat, psychotherapist Karen R. Koenig explains the link between the two and gives overweight wome
Published June 2nd 2009 by Touchstone (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Nice Girls Finish Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nice Girls Finish Fat

Kristie J.
Jan 18, 2013 Kristie J. rated it it was ok
Intriguing title and subject but this book didn't quite deliver. I was expecting some practical tips on how to assert myself with others to get my needs met in regard to food, such as asking my husband to hide his potato chips, saying no to food pushers, and sticking to my diet when visiting family. The entire book focused on the psychological analysis of nice girls (and guys) who eat due to the stress of putting everyone else first. Eye-opening concepts for a nice girl like me to read but few p ...more
Ann Douglas
While Koenig makes some valid points in this book, the book's premise is danced around rather than proven. (I was expecting references to journal articles and a discussion of the effects of stress on the body's biochemistry as opposed to the superficial and repetitive discussion provided here.) The case studies -- providing snapshots of the lives of women who are too self-sacrificing -- and the analysis of the role of family history in establishing unhealthy life patterns are the book's key stre ...more
Rhea
Jan 30, 2011 Rhea rated it liked it
This book was great for me in the beginning but once it got to the final chapters it became less relevant to my life. I feel that the book held a lot of valuable information for me to apply to my life, but it also spent a lot of time blaming parents for womens weight problems. I am not saying that this can't be the case, but it just spent too much time talking on that topic, and any topic always came back around to the parents.
Maddy
Jul 11, 2013 Maddy rated it it was ok
This book was horribly written. I gave it 2 stars because it did have some good ideas but the presentation was awful. I ended up skimming the last half of the book just to finish. She wrote it like an infomercial. I wouldn't recommend anyone read it unless they truly are nice to a fault in every single thing they do.
Amy R
Jan 22, 2011 Amy R rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
A great book for those that are "nice". After taking their self-analysis test, I am apparently not one of them. And, I'm perfectly ok with that! This book wasn't really what I was looking for. However, if you're a NICE person worried about your weight and eating habits, this book may be for you.
Orlagh
Mar 30, 2014 Orlagh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This doesn't give the whole story, but as a supporting argument for those of us who were brought up to believe that women support other people, put themselves last and generally don't say 'no'.....it's a good supportive read to some of the others on the list!
Janeene
Oct 24, 2010 Janeene rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
2.5 stars - points out how that most individuals who take care of everyone but themselves, often find themselves overweight and with health issues, because we don't take time to care for ourselves.
Betsy
Dec 01, 2010 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, self-help, weight
I thought this book was great for not only controlling what you are eating, but controlling your life. How to stop being such a giver and finally learning how to take care of your needs.
Michelle
Feb 21, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Great book! Lots of new insight! I highly recommend this book even if you don't think you're a nice girl you'd be surprised that you really are!
Wendy Burbridge
Nov 05, 2012 Wendy Burbridge rated it it was amazing
Great book! If you've ever succumbed to temptation because you don't want to say no or hurt someone's feelings this book is for you!
Steffie
Aug 03, 2012 Steffie rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. So needed. She brings a new clarity and awareness to why some of us do what we do with food. Healing!!!
Betti White
Apr 19, 2012 Betti White is currently reading it
Its good- interesting. Why would being nice correlate to weight gain- but it does! I'd recommend.
Jenny
Jul 04, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Good book about the connection between food and emotions and the way you were raised.
Sharyn L.
Free kindle download. The chapters about work and stress are relevant to me.
Melissa
Aug 30, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it

Had some good tips here and there. Overall, good self help book.
Shawna Jean
Shawna Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Jennifer Cuevas
Jennifer Cuevas is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Jennifer Wegis
Jennifer Wegis rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2016
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Sarah Lessage
Sarah Lessage marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
kathryn rafnson
kathryn rafnson is currently reading it
May 11, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Loveleen Toor
Loveleen Toor marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Psmithsted
Psmithsted marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Review that has become separated from book 3 167 Aug 13, 2012 06:29PM
Karen R. Koenig, LCSW, M.Ed., is a therapist, educator, eating coach, national speaker, international author, and expert on the psychology of eating—the how and why, not the what of it—with 30-plus years of experience teaching chronic dieters and overeaters the skills that "normal" eaters use naturally to maintain a comfortable, healthy weight for life without dieting.
More about Karen R. Koenig...

“What you need is some balance in your life: to know when to say no and when to say yes, how to ask for help as easily as you give it, when to let other people live with the consequences of their choices, how to be honest with yourself (always) and forthright and direct with other people (most of the time), and why it’s important to give up striving to be perfect and accept your perfectly imperfect self.” 0 likes