Start by marking “Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping” as Want to Read:
Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping

Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  6,107 ratings  ·  371 reviews
Revolutionary retail guru Paco Underhill is back with a completely revised edition of his classic, witty bestselling book on our ever-evolving consumer culture—full of fresh observations and important lessons from the cutting edge of retail such as Internet behemoths Amazon and iTunes as well as the globalization of retail in the world’s emerging markets.
Published June 2nd 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Why We Buy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why We Buy

Wayne
Aug 06, 2007 Wayne rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning retailers
Rather disappointing -- it reads like a book length sales brochure for Envirosell, the company the author founded. Every page follows the same formula: A foolish retailer was doing this. I told him to do this. He did, and he is now more virile, has a better looking wife, has more money than he could imagine, and he thanks me daily.

This gets old. A few fun tricks of retailing are buried here and there, but the book should be subtitled: How to Get Rich Using Common Sense.
Danielle
Horrendous, for several reasons.
First, it is outdated, which is my own fault -- he has a newer book and I happened to pick up the wrong one at the library. There are references to dial-up modems and portable cassette players, among other things.
Second, it reads like a sales pitch. The guy is arrogant and self-serving, pitching his company (Envirosell) throughout. That's just plain annoying.
Third, and probably most offensive, it is sexist, making broad generalizations about female vs. male shop
Jen
Nov 30, 2007 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
As a consumer, this book frightens me; every display, every sign, every detail in a store is designed to part me from my money. I'm pretty aware of that, but the details in this book will frighten you.

For librarians, this book has a vital message: marketing (and thinking about marketing) is everything. We have something to sell, even if we don't make a profit. The author, from a science-sales point of view, thinks that books should have age ranges; that's scary to me, but understandable from a s
Santhosh
Firstly, Why We Buy should have been How They Buy, because 1) the book is about insights on shopping (and not shoppers), based on extensive observations of shoppers when they're shopping and, 2) it's addressed from the retailer's point of view, about what they can do to make people buy more things.

The structure of the book goes something like this:
* Opening scene: the retailers were basically village simpletons who happened to have stores that were being visited by cattle masquerading as custome
Jessie Young
This book was recommended to me after I became absolutely obsessed with grocery shopping in Santiago, Chile. I think it was the hunt, or maybe just that I had a ton of time, but I went grocery shopping pretty much every day while I lived in Santiago. I found the assortment of foods fascinating and the way they were packaged (mayo in a bag!?) even more-so. I'm also, in general, a very tactile shopper so I was interested in what he'd have to say about that.

My expectation was that this book would b
Ryan
Don Draper would scoff and say "what?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DCaf...

I could barely finish this, and I'd say he ripped off Don Draper were it not for the fact that Mad Men was written after this book was. Is advertising really all about love? Hmph.

This book is written by Paco Underhill, who presents himself as an arrogant, simple-minded know-it-all who left (cue schlocky singsong playground bully voice) "academia" to go out in the Real World to actually apply all these "scientific" thi
Andrea
Here is a literary example of "good idea, bad execution." Underhill has lots of interesting little anecdotes, yet presents them in a disorganized, sometimes arrogant, sometimes wistful, and occasionally creepy style.
Some points I found interesting and profoundly true:
-You need to be slowed down when entering a store from a parking lot (caught myself speeding past the section I needed in Target just the other day).
-Despite my mom's vigilant hand-slapping when I was young, the adult consumer in
K.M. Weiland
I bought this out of interest in the psychology that prompts people to buy things—primarily online. On that score, the book was pretty disappointing. As other reviewers have pointed out, it’s more about the science of selling—and not even that so much as just shedding light on shoddy merchandise presentation. And the (single) chapter on e-selling is pretty much a blow-off.

That said, what *is* here is fascinating, humorous, and highly entertaining. Underhill shares anecdotes from a lifetime of s
Michael
I will never be able to go into a business, especially a retail store, without an eye on traffic flow, product placement, the employee and purchaser environmental factors, along with signage, without thinking what I learned about the aforementioned topics. An enlightening read on "why we buy", and also an aid on possibly controlling why we buy. Great book.
Eh?Eh!
I guess his point is good, that we miss the obvious...but repeatedly stated in such a 'tada!' manner that makes you want to dislike him very much.
Tripleguess
This was an interesting book for the first couple chapters. I was fascinated by the premise: stores nowadays function as their own advertisement and can affect whether and how much shoppers buy through the judicious placement of signage, merchandise, and staff; however, it's hard to determine what ought to be moved without thorough study of current "traffic patterns" and even then adjustments don't always have their intended effect because "the obvious is not always apparent." Take the "butt-bru ...more
Rebecca Radnor
Quick easy read that I would suggest to every adult who holds a job. Underhill is an anthropologist who studies what does and does not work in terms of increasing sales to your customers who have already walked into the store, but its stuff that could be applicable in classrooms to public spaces. He looks at what does or does not make people comfortable, where you should or should not put a sign to ensure it gets read, understanding who buys what and making it easier for them to buy it, etc. Its ...more
Megan
Oct 18, 2008 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: Caris
I learned about this book from a coworker at the library and am really glad I sat down to read it. This isn't a very long book, and it doesn't necessarily have to be read all the way through to glean the important points. Nevertheless, I really wish we could make every one of my coworkers read this book!

The author uses actual research he's done over years and years to glean new insights into the world of shopping and the people who shop. He researches everything from seat placement to aisle widt
Erik Graff
Feb 01, 2015 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consumers
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: psychology
I picked this up, thinking it might serve as a gift for someone difficult to engage in reading. Everyone shops, right? However, finding myself without reading material, except for this book, I started it and was sucked in, the first half or so of it being amusing and sometimes consciousness raising.

My initial enthusiasm petered out towards the second half, author Underhill having become repetitive and predictable.
Rebecca McNutt
Really interesting (and at times eye-opening, even shocking) book, detailed and well-written and invaluable for anyone who ever questions their products.
Mark
Paco Underhill (with a name like that, how could you go wrong?) takes the tools that he learned as an anthropologist and in the 70's started applying them to the largest tribe in America: consumers and shoppers. It turns out that retailers are willing to pay a lot of money to find out how many towels shoppers will handle before they purchase a set, how many feet from the entrance of a store a display should be placed for maximum exposure, etc. Is Underhill a sell-out? Possibly, but the scales ar ...more
Andrea Eckelman
A fascinating look at how we shop. I listened to the audio book, and found myself really considering how I move through a retail space. He's spot on about the things that will make me quickly leave and the things that will make me buy more than I came for!
Anna

Dit boek richt zich vrijwel volledig op instore marketing en instore onderzoek. Paco Underhill heeft meer dan 20 jaar onderzoek gedaan naar het gedrag van winkelbezoekers. Met dit boek doet hij veel van zijn onderzoeksresultaten uit de doeken. Hij geeft o.a. antwoord op de vraag: Hoe reageren mensen op bepaalde set-ups in winkels, en hoe zijn deze te optimaliseren?

Je leert o.a. over de ‘Butt-brush factor’ en de ‘Decompression zone’.

Persoonlijk:
Jullie begrijpen waarom ik het boek interessant vind
Vanessa
A good read for those who work in retail or marketing with an interest in how we interact and behave in retail spaces.

However, this book didn't quite satisfy what I was looking for, which was insight into our actual shopping behaviors and impulses. I wasn't actually that interested in how store layouts and design influence buying habits.

While the author has done a great deal of research to understand and quantify the general behaviors of different demographics, I still bristled when he made swe
Stacy
This book is a must have for retail managers or for those, like me, who would love to open my own business someday. Underhill is the CEO of a research company that specializes in helping companies, like McDonald’s and General Mills, attract more customers and bigger sales. He and his associates spend hours studying the psychology of the shopper in the shopping environment. They study the most mundane of decisions shoppers make to help the companies change things like product placement and the ad ...more
Stephen
No book on marketing, Why We Buy is an introduction to the novel field of retail anthropology. Young Paco Underhill was once an urban studies student assigned to monitor traffic flow down a given street. Watching pedestrians interact with the shopping displays and vendors lining it, he had an idea; why not watch the shoppers, and figure out what about the goods and services on offer attracted them, and what didn’t? What made certain products fly off the shelf and others not? That idea was the ge ...more
Sean
The first half of this book is incredibly interesting. Lots of common sense advice for store owners. Basically it boils down to always considering the experience of the shopper when organizing the sales floor or designing signage. But all of it very interesting and a little eye opening.

Unfortunately the second half of the book falls apart a little. The authors biggest flaw being that he seems to lack any understanding of how computer's work. He spends an entire chapter discussing how online shop
Kimberlie
A friend listened to the audio version and thought of me, so he bought me the book. (Hmmm... me and shopping? I don't see the connection.) I loved it! The author has a subtle sense of humor (doesn't try too hard) and the otherwise dull material was really quite interesting. I'll read it again sometime. Very interesting!
Jasmine
Rating clarification: 3.5 stars
Incredibly fascinating book, one that exposes the hidden world of shopping and the way we interact with signs, displays and layouts, whether consciously or unconsciously. one minor gripe is that Underhill's style of writing seems to be a little erratic, going from friendly mentor/advisor to guerilla-style businessman in some chapters. The section on internet shopping was also a tad depressing as well, as he painted the web as a very messy and disorganised system th
Susana
Lectura obligada para todos aquellos que quieran conocer las nuevas tendencias en estudios de mercado, la aplicación de técnicas de la antropología al entendimiento de los motivadores detrás de la compra. EXCELENTE.
Emily
A must-read for anyone in a selling profession. And, really, isn't that all of us?
Paul Bard
This book gives practical advice on retail product positioning. It's not about the psychology of selling, although it attempts to be.

It gives retailers many hints to increase sales over short and long periods of time.

Suggestion for reading: the first third of the book is the most helpful for retailers. The opening chapters are more factual, middle more opinion. Skip the last two chapters.

It is unusual to have a business book deliver definite benefits directly to retailer's bottom line, but for
Martha
Mostly interesting, though I was skimming towards the end--especially the chapter where the author was just talking about jobs his company had done in different countries, which didn't really add anything to the book except a bit of boasting. He was most entertaining when he talked about the common-sense mistakes businesses make while trying to sell goods. Even though this edition was "updated and revised for the Internet," it's already outdated--especially the comments about how internet shoppi ...more
Vanessa
The author comes across as an utter cock. There are insights scattered in here, sure, but they're sandwiched between promotion for his company and I told you sos and snobby, disparaging comments about everyone from Wharton business grads (they think they know things but they don't!) to mall cleaning crews (they don't even move the marketing displays before mopping the floor!).

The (newly-added, I think) chapter on internet in particular makes the author sound like a befuddled old guy as he tries
Rachel
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are
  • Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire
  • How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market
  • Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World's Most Powerful Consumers
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy
Underhill has spent more than 25 years conducting research on the different aspects of shopping behavior, earning his status as a leading expert and pioneer in the field. Paco helps companies understand what motivates the behaviors of today’s consumer. His research shows how today’s retail world is ruled by factors such as gender, “trial and touch” and human anatomy. He is an insightful and captiv ...more
More about Paco Underhill...
Call of the Mall: The Geography of Shopping What Women Want: The Global Market Turns Female Friendly City: Rediscovering the Center Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire Boom: Marketing to the Ultimate Power Consumer: The Baby-Boomer Woman