Start by marking “For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)” as Want to Read:
For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)

For a Few Demons More (The Hollows #5)

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  47,601 Ratings  ·  1,156 Reviews
Despite dating one vampire and living with another, Rachel Morgan has stayed ahead of trouble until now. A serial killer stalks the Hollows, claims victims across society, and ignites a vicious Inderland gang war. Rachel hides an ancient artifact that could stop the killer or start a battle to the death among supernatural races of Cincinnati. Every action has its price. Wh ...more
Audio CD
Published June 7th 2007 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about For a Few Demons More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For a Few Demons More

Kat Kennedy
Sometimes, though you know it to be true, nature will remind you of what a bitch it is.

Like, for example, if you come to Australia and manage to avoid the myriad of poisonous spiders, snakes, scorpions, jelly fish, stone fish and some frogs.

Then you manage to not get killed or viciously maimed by the crocodiles, koalas, cassowary, dingos, sharks, sting-rays and locals (do you have any idea of how many tourists go missing and get murdered in Australia?)

Then you survive the outback with its inten
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

@!-#VampiresEpictear

So I don't know if I'm using the "@!?#" button correctly, but in my head it's the "WTF?! Elephant." Has been since I first laid eyes on it. So if that's not what it's supposed to mean, now you know what it means to me:

Elephant as illustration for WTF?! + @!?# (WTF?!) = WTF?! squared.

And that is what is going on here. And it is fan-friggin'-tastic.

Right. So Trent's getting married to Ellasbeth, and he wants Rachel to work security for the wedding.

*blinks*

I know what you'r
Jonetta
Just too much Rachel/Ivy drama for me. I suffered through about 12 hours of that until the story got interesting. And, I'm not seeing any real character growth so I'm taking an extended, maybe permanent break. It was tiresome seeing Rachel make the same dumb mistakes over and over again through five books.

On a brighter note, the narration is excellent.
Laz
Jan 23, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
“There were no more choices, no more options, no more clever ways out of a tough situation. And the rush, I realized in a brutal wash of despair, is a false god I’ve chased my entire life. One that cost me everything in the blind search for sensation. My entire existence amounted to nothing.”

I have no idea how I found the courage to read this book until it's very end. This one was full of suspense and a constant stress and a feeling that someone wouldn't come out of this alive, and for once, I
La Mala ✌
description

ACLARACIÓN: Aunque esta reseña tiene marcado 'spoilers' después de cada ítem, no suelo spoilear nada. Es decir, no escribo nada que arruine la trama principal. (En caso de hacerlo, lo advierto previamente con una nueva marca de spoiler!! O sea, te encajo un spoiler adentro del spoiler, porque estoy muy jugada, y soy re heavy y re jodida.)

Reseña para leer escuchando: Cobrastyle (Y no me pregunten porqué, me pintó ese tema nomás.)

¿De qué trata? Rachel Morgan, polígama en potencia, que nunca se
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
It was so darn good to get back into this world. Even though I knew I loved this series, it was a huge reminder just why I love it.

Once again Rachel has gotten herself into a sticky situation. One full of danger, lies, and oh yeah, demons. The stakes are getting higher and not everyone is going to come out of this one alive.

There were so many feels with this, I don't even know where to begin. So much was revealed and said, and done.

I can't even begin to express how much I love this series. It
Joana
Nov 21, 2007 Joana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. That was my final impression of the much anticipated fifth book in Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series. Much like Harrison’s previous work, For a Few Demons More was a non-stop, action packed romp through an alternate version of Cincinnati. My only complaint was that the relationship of two of the main characters seems to have taken two steps back for the single step forward it gained. And of course the death of a beloved character never sits too well with anyone. But enough of the teasing. ...more
Currently working my way through the requisite hundred or so pages of relationship angsting that has to happen before the plot starts. That may sound tedious, and frankly it is. But it's Harrison's pattern, and once the plot kicks into gear it's a fantastic ride. You just have to slog through that introductory angst first.

***

And now that I'm finished, I'm not sure what I think. The story itself was pretty darned exciting, but I'm getting a little sick of Rachel, and most of the people around her
Laura Kreitzer
What is up with authors killing the characters I love? Argh!
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
There is something wrong with Rachel. I'm starting to like this series less and less. Why is she so stupidly slicing off her nose to spite herself? She's a total screw up from what I can tell. She is also a selfish bitch who has too many loyal friends. Why do they gather around her? I really don't know. How many people is she going to take down with her? While I did like reading to learn more about what is going on, I'm starting to really dislike this dumb bitch. If there is one thing I can't ab ...more
Kribu
It seems that The Hollows is a series that might just be a bit like crack: I don't find it that particularly awesome, and there's a lot about it that I don't in fact like, but overall, it's addictive and hard to stay away from - and dammit, I want more.

First, the bad: honestly? Pretty much the same things I've complained about in my reviews for the previous books. Epithets. Dear god, the epithets. There were long stretches where I either didn't notice them or an editor had got hold of some chunk
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Book five is such an interesting blend. While it is one of the best in the series, likely the funniest, it is also the most tragic and depressing.

For the characters, a reader gets plenty of page time with their favorites. Al is around quite often but not in the typical fashion and for different reasons. There's the return of an older villain. Trent gets plenty of time on the page, as well, but this book soured my impressions of him. Even after reading all the books now up to book 12, I still fee
Katie Michaels
This book shredded me. I cried for the last 50 pages or so. And not just a silent tear or two, but out-loud crying... messy with used Kleenex all over the sofa. I will not spoil the why's of it, but I can't possibly talk about this book without acknowledging its enormous emotional impact. I don't know if I can ever forgive Kim Harrison.

With the ending weighing on me so heavily, it's hard to look back to the rest of the book. It starts out strong, addressing the repercussions of Rachel's interact
VampireNovelFan
Not too far removed from Book 4, in For a Few Demons more we see that Rachel still has "the focus," a 5,000 year old demon-crafted werewolf artifact that was the focus of book 4. Considering its power, it's a hot commodity and everybody who is anybody wants to get their hands on it, from the evil Vampire Piscary to business tycoon and underground druglord, Trent Kalamack, to the Weres themselves. Rachel's got her hands full, and it doesn't help that her werewolf friend, David, is suspected of be ...more
Charlie
I'd completely forgotten how upsetting this book is. I'm crying ugly tears and I don't like it. As usual, 5 stars.
Mark
Jan 12, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good storyline, but some very confusing choices by Rachel and the other main characters. Major surprise for one of them.
Shandra
Actual rating: 3 to 3.5 I-Expected-More stars.

If I'm forced to pick a least favorite in the series thus far, it'd be this one. I'm not a fan of a few huge plot points in this one. I can't say more for fear of spoiling. Will I continue the series? Well...duh!!! This series and world and characters are still crack to me!!!
jD
I stopped about 100 pages into this one in Fall 2010 because I did not see enough character development. Had I continued to read it I don't think I would have come away with a different perspective because I wanted it too badly. I was reading it at the same time I was getting into Cat and Bones of Night Huntress so I wanted more of that. My opinion of what should happen overshadowed my ability to really enjoy what was. This time around, I was better prepared for the character short comings due t ...more
valee
Oct 07, 2009 valee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
For me this installment in the series wasn't as good as the last 2 books, which were a 5 stars-rating and favs. I would give this book 3.5 stars if possible.

The beginning was good. All the drama with Al was a great way to begin the book. I like him a lot. He's not one of my fav characters but a really good one; you just know that if he's in the picture thing will get juicy.

My problem was that then things got slower and slower. It took me forever to finish it. I got bored more than once and had
Steven
Sadness. Great book but umph did it hit me right in the feels?!?!
Lauren
Aug 16, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was soooo good! I swear, I love Rachel Morgan - she is so badass! The beginning of the book was really good. All the drama with Al was great. I like him a lot. He's not one of my fav characters but definitely one of the good ones! Plus, you just know, if Al's involved, things are bound to get juicy!

I had a few problems with this book. Mainly with Ivy. I liked her before, I even felt sorry for her in previous books but now her tragedy comes across as a bit irritating and overdone someti
Marianne
Sometimes, a novel is so good, yet so heartwrenchingly sad that just the thought of reviewing it, leaves you emotionally drained. This is one such book. Now that I'm done, I feel like I have to rely on coping mechanisms: I try to remember only the happy moments. Like Rachel's birthday party, or Ceri standing up to Trent, heck, even his wedding;-) Reading somebody their rights can be a lot of fun, especially when Rachel's the one doing the reading;-) Or Minias, the charming new demon who shows up ...more
Ashley
Mar 17, 2011 Ashley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
You know I really don't have a problem with same sex relationships, but if Ivy and Rachel go there I'm seriously going to stop reading this book. Like I said I don't have I problem I really just don't want to read about it. And Rachel, well she just keeps getting worse and worse ugh. I mean if Ivy doesn't want to go there then stop pushing it. Especially if neither of you can control yourselves. It's extremely annoying. Then there's the fact that nothing good ever happens. First Rachel lets ever ...more
Susana
I don't think this story could have been any better. It was full of action, drama, romance, and last, but not least, it was heartbreaking sad. I knew, what was going to happen, with a character in this story. I have known it, probably since the second book, when i decided to read some comments on the upcoming books. I have known it, in the way that, that character has slowly being removed from the spotlight of this one's and the previous book plot.
Knowing it, didn't make it easier...so i will jo
Rita
This was Heart Pounding! I was cold and then hot, I was engulfed in this one. I was disappointed about Brett; I wanted him to become a part of the team. Sick about Kistin, still despise Ivy. I think Trent cares about her, but he will turn into a snake at a moment’s notice. I liked Manias and Big AL was funny. I laughed a lot in this one. This just might be my favorite one. Can't wait to see what is next.
Louisa
Jan 08, 2013 Louisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
So good, loved rereading this book, I had forgotten which book Kisten dies in, and yeah, that was really sad, can't wait to get the conclusion soon! Now to read more!

*First read August 4th 2013*
This book started to break my heart. I mean, things were pretty good, and steady, and then they pretty much go to hell in a hand basket, and then Kistin? Yeah, broken heart, meet me.
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
That is certainly sad, but not as sad as I expected.
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plain and simple: I love this series. That's about all there is to it. I know I sound like a broken record, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find something more entertaining and imaginative, at least in this genre. Harrison is a fabulous writer who's created some of the most heartfelt and entertaining characters I've come across in a long time.

This novel feels like everything has finally come to a head: Rachael's dealing with demon magic, she being the keeper of the much sought after were fo
Kahalachan
Jan 24, 2015 Kahalachan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With any Hollows book I feel I have to take the bad in order to enjoy the good. I also feel I'm the wrong gender for this book at times.

Women talking about their feelings over tea - Boring
A demon taunting a mortal - Cool
People are scared of tomatoes - Silly
A witch casting spells - Fun
References to Tinkerbell - Corny
A witch hunting down various supernatural beings - Awesome!

This book was no exception. Generally I found what I usually enjoyed at the beginning and especially at the end. Most of wha
Kasia
Dec 27, 2011 Kasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slipping back into Kim Harrison's world of Rachel and her friends and foes is very comforting. It makes me wish that I could never leave it because once I start reading her books I feel lost and amazed, the real world forgotten and far away in my mind. Each new volume beckons me to indulge in another fantastic adventure where the fights, jokes, puns, some wicked magic and charismatic characters hold me in a trance until the last page is devoured.

The fifth book of the series has been the book of
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • City of Souls (Signs of the Zodiac, #4)
  • Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • Burn the Night (Dark Days, #6)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or on the links.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KimHarris
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)

“That's why I want you there, he said. You're unpredictable, and that can be the difference between success and failure. Most people make decisions in anger, fear, love, or obligation. You make decisions to irritate people.” 668 likes
“Sure am glad I'm not royalty," I muttered. "I wouldn't want to have to bump uglies with someone I can't stand. On a regular basis. And no one else."
"Ow!" I exclaimed, trying to yank my fingers from Trent but finding them caught. Then I colored, realizing what I'd said. "Oh… sorry," I stammered, meaning it. "That was insensitive."
Trent's frown turned into a sly smirk. "Bump uglies?" he said, eyes on the table behind me. "You are a font of gutter slang, Rachel. We must do this again.”
78 likes