Start by marking “The Complete Alice” as Want to Read:
The Complete Alice

The Complete Alice

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  442 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
For over a hundred years, Lewis Carroll's classic stories of logic and lunacy have delighted young and old alike. Abundantly illustrated, these contemporary and accessible interpretations are full of warmth and humour. Alice herself is truly a child of our times – casually dressed, personable and spirited. In Helen Oxenbury's hands, the topsy-turvy world of Wonderland is a ...more
Published November 2nd 2009 by Walker Books (first published October 13th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Alice

Susan
Dec 29, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Review of ISBN 9781447275992

The Complete Alice was published by Macmillan, the original publisher of Lewis Carroll’s Alice, to mark the 150th anniversary of the most famous children’s classic of all time.

The cover image can’t do justice to this gorgeous hardcover edition. The cover itself is richly embossed with a cream-on-white design featuring Alice in Wonderland characters, and a die-cut hole revealing an end paper which also has a hole in it to create a 3-D effect of the White Rabbit disappe

Elilith
Feb 11, 2016 Elilith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esta edición es una maravilla.
A parte de contar tanto con Alicia en el país de las maravillas como con Alicia a través del espejo, contiene además las cartas que Lewis Carroll escribió a los niños, un capítulo inédito de Alicia a trabés del espejo y curiosidades sobre cómo se escribió Alicia, el por qué y los diferentes procesos editoriales. Sin duda una joya que todo aquel fan de estas aventuras subterráneas debe de tener.

Ben
2016 Reading Challenge: #1 A book at least 100 years older than you.

This was a beautiful edition but sorry, I just don't get the idea of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, maybe I'm stupid or I don't know, but I don't like this silly stories.

I'm sure Lewis Carroll fell in love with a kid (pedophilia). Sorry bad joke, but really guys think about it.
Sylvia
Jun 24, 2012 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be fair, I'm pretty much always reading this book. I have a slight Lewis Carroll obsession. I actually tracked down his original Alice drawings the other day, pretty awesome! Still love the Tenniel drawings though. I will read bits of this book when I'm stressed or sad, or trying to remember a quote. Other parts I've memorized and torture my students with at random. This book always has something new for me. For as long as I live, Wonderland will always be my favorite playground.
Mya
Dec 20, 2015 Mya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
4/5 Stars

The joy of this book definitely holds through for me as an adult. I go into the details of the story, as I’m sure that most who are reading this review are familiar with it (via the many books or movie renditions). Alice’s journey into Wonderland is a wonderful tale for readers of all ages.

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is full of humour in the forms of clever puns, jokes, and advice. I think is one of those books that you’ll discover something new each
Kythe42
The Complete Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll and Kent David Kelly contains much more than the original stories of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. This edition also contains two additional versions of Alice in Wonderland, which are Alice's Adventures Under Ground, which was the original first draft of Alice in Wonderland, and The Nursery Alice, which was a version written for young children. Also contained within this text is a missing chapter from Through the ...more
Steve Bouchard
Aug 31, 2013 Steve Bouchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I've ever read the entire stories of "Alice in Wonderland" or "Though the Looking Glass," so this compendium was a treat to find. It would be presumptuous of me to critique the stories themselves, so instead I'll center on the presentation of this Kindle edition.

In a word: Complete. Not only does the collection contain "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Though the Looking-Glass...," but it also contains: a deleted chapter; the original text of the story written for the real Al
sabisteb
Für die meisten Leser ist Alice's Adventures in Wonderland gerade mal der bekannte erste Band und vielleicht noch die Fortsetzung Through the Looking Glass. Dabei umfasst das Alice Universum noch drei weitere, nicht mehr ganz so bekannte Varianten und Werke
Alice's Adventures Under Ground '- Das Original, das Carroll seiner echten Alice schenkte
The Nursery Alice -' Eine farbig bebilderte Variante für Kinder unter fünf Jahren
The Hunting of the Snark an Agony, in Eight Fits -' Ein nonsense Gedicht,
Kris Larson
A little girl falls down a rabbit hole into what is either a hallucinogenic drug trip, a political satire or simply a weird children's story. (In Looking Glass, she goes through a mirror into a giant chess game.) Filled with quirky poetry, talking animals and a series of size problems for Alice that really resonate if you're the tallest kid in class, Alice is one of those books you can read for the first time when you're six and go on reading until you're a senior citizen.

This particular editio
Bea ♥ (El festín de los sentidos)
Una edición maravillosa, pensada hasta el último detalle. Lo único que he echado en falta son algunas anotaciones para hacer notar los juegos de palabras originales del autor o los dobles sentidos con los que quería referirse a la sociedad del momento en que vivía.
Stacey
Jul 26, 2015 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh so much better than the movie/s! A delight and wonder from start to finish- I felt like a grinning child again. My sons 1941 version has wonderful illustrations and I dream to think who else has delighted in its pages over the years.
Arya
Oct 19, 2015 Arya rated it it was amazing
This was a re-reading, and was completely worth it. I could gush about these two books forever. I noticed that there were a lot of things in the books which I did not understand when I was younger, and I did not appreciate any of the poetry earlier either. I don't think it should be considered a children's book, because, really, it isn't. It just isn't that much fun if you read it when you're six or seven.
Helen Oxenbury's illustrations are so great! Google her. I especially love the pic of the D
Jaquelin
Aug 06, 2015 Jaquelin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great! Love the imagination Lewis Carroll brought.
Alexandra Rolo
Jan 03, 2014 Alexandra Rolo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Para quem gostou de Alice no País das Maravilhas e de Do outro lado do espelho, vai gostar da adaptação para BD da obra de Lewis Carroll.
A história não se desvia da original e o desenho adequa-se perfeitamente ao ambiente e estilo de escrita de Carroll. É uma boa leitura mas o melhor é mesmo o desenho e a cor. A obra está dividida em quatro pequenas partes, duas para cada um dos livros.
(...)
in: http://livrosportodolado.blogs.sapo.p...
Brett Ashton
I know a lot of people just love Alice in Wonderland and I'm certain I'm going to stand out as the oddball as far as that goes but I have to say that I just couldn't finish it. There is no existing sense of a plot at all. Just random and nonsensical dream after dream. I'll give it two stars just for the sake of creative imagination though.
Pedro
Nov 10, 2011 Pedro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not really my type of book, especially the verse (and the *GOOD* commentary) but I liked it nonetheless.

I wanted to read it in English. I read a portuguese translation of Alice in Wonderland when I was little and have always wanted to read it in English.
Lee
Great book, made me remeber how Mich I loved these stories. I got a lot more from it reading it as an adult than I did from the story as a child. I think everyone should make it a point to re-read this at some point.
Heidi Landry Phelps
Absolutely love this set! The language is rhythmically appealing to the ears, the content amusing for the brain and the illustrations visually charming. A must read (or a must reread if it's been awhile).
Kerry Lumpkin
Jul 07, 2012 Kerry Lumpkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Although I haven't finished my read of this book, I have read the enclosed stories separately before. If you'd like to add some whimsy to enliven your existence I heartily recommend the Alice tales.
Robbie Whyman
Jul 22, 2013 Robbie Whyman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice in Wonderland is one of my all time favourite stories. I enjoyed Through the Looking Glass also, though not as much, hence I've given an overall rating of 4 stars. I'd give the original all 5.
Eyehavenofilter
This has everything. But I'm sure I will look for more, once you start you can't stop. 2 step forward on to the side, as the knight says!
Babette
Sep 03, 2012 Babette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
it was a very curious but nice book. that's all.
Izhna Al chilla
I like every part of her adbenture :)
Sabri Santos
Sabri Santos is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2016
Forest Davenport
Forest Davenport rated it it was amazing
Katherine Navarro
Katherine Navarro marked it as to-read
Anna-Marie Meyer
Anna-Marie Meyer rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Bruna
Bruna marked it as to-read
Goodreads Librari...: Please fix this description 3 15 Oct 27, 2015 01:25AM
  • Gaspar And The Fantastical Hats (Gaspar the Thief, #0.5)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Complete Radio Series (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #1-5)
  • Whom God Would Destroy
  • Oz (All 15 Books, Ultimate Collection)
  • Mrs. 'Arris Goes to New York
  • Changes
  • Three Days of Rain
  • I Need You For Christmas
  • L. Frank Baum: Creator of Oz
  • Shades of Kink: From Alphas to Masters
  • Ophelia's Shadow Theatre
  • The Haunted (Sleeping with Monsters #1)
  • Until Death
  • Mad About Madeline: The Complete Tales
  • أسئلة وتساؤلات
  • Genealogía de una bruja
  • Le Cirque D'Amour (Burlesque! #1)
  • Imitation and Alchemy (Elemental Legacy #2)
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...