Start by marking “Killing the Rabbit” as Want to Read:
Killing the Rabbit

Killing the Rabbit

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Murder is the main attraction in this dark and wickedly comic new thriller that follows a young indie filmmaker on her way to fame, fortune, and a shoot-out to the death.

Hannie Reynard landed every aspiring filmmaker’s dream: a hefty grant to make her documentary Freaks or Frauds. But the groundbreaking film that was supposed to launch Hannie’s career may kill her first. B
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published July 31st 2007 by Bantam (first published July 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Killing the Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing the Rabbit

As seen on The Readventurer

Whoever wrote Killing the Rabbit's description, has done it a great disservice. "A wickedly comic" thriller? Really? When was it funny exactly? When pregnant women were shot? Or when a man was cut into ribbons by some gang members? I am still waiting for those LOLs.

Anyway, the book is actually a quite gruesome and occasionally gross crime drama.

A forecaster for a huge Japanese pharmaceutical company specializing in contraceptive drugs in his zeal came up with a 200-yea
Dark Matter
Nalini Haynes reviewed this book; for more reviews by Nalini, see Nalini Haynes on Dark Matter Zine.

Rating: 4 and a half out of 5 stars

Previously published in the US in 2007 under the title Killing the Rabbit, Clan Destine Press published A New Kind of Death in Australia for the first time in 2012.

A New Kind of Death is set in Australia in 2008, 10 years after Hannie Reynard graduated from film school and Mosson Ferret opted out in favour of securing a paycheck. Hannie has mismanaged her grant
Heather Bode
I really enjoyed this book. Unlike most authors that like to tease you with hints that you don't understand then forget about later, Goodman gives it to you straight, but all in good time. The characters are well-written and morally ambiguous, revealing more about themselves as the book progresses, leaving you with rich emotional turmoil. I randomly chose this book off of a library bookshelf, and I'm glad I did. It was an intriguing thriller that held my attention throughout its rich plot.
Really more of 2.5 stars, but I thought giving it 2 stars would be too low. This was not a bad book, it just wasn't for me. I picked it up because I loved Goodman's Dragoneye duology and I love mysteries. Unfortunately, this was more of a "thriller," not a mystery- the motive and the bad guys are known from the beginning. That took all the fun of whodunnit away from me and that's what I read mysteries for. If you like adult thriller novels I'm sure you will like this as well.
Pete Aldin
I've just read this novel in its new incarnation as A New Kind of Death (republished by Clan Destine Press). Definitely not for the squeamish. One of the best thrillers I've ever read, if a little hard to classify.

Japanese corporate espionage, assassins, filmmakers, Melbourne freeways and suburbs and restarants, Yakuza, Triads ... and a couple of illnesses that are horrible to contemplate but facinating to see the effects of.

Can't recommend this highly enough. One of the few books set in modern
A young film maker starts out making a documentary about women who are medical freaks. Along the way she is blackmailed and then joins with an accountant from the film commission she procured funds from.
Turns out there is also a shady Corporation and an ambitious business executive who orders a hit on one of the women the film maker wants to interview.
The story line has multiple viewpoints including those of the film maker, the accountant, the assassin and the executive. The characters are vivi
Lindy Cameron
I have loved this books since it was a mere manuscript. First published only in the US - as Killing the Rabbit - is a great and gritty Aussie crime novel.
Interesting book. More of a thriller than a mystery, but an interesting romp through Australia.
David McLean
The contrivance that drives the plot is remarkably plausible.
Matie marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Julie Tift
Julie Tift marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Poonam marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Misterelle marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Crystal Anderson
Crystal Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Sophia marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Amoonna Baer
Amoonna Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Sharron Allen
Sharron Allen marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Rhianna Neel
Rhianna Neel marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Michael Justine
Michael Justine marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Adriana Maras
Adriana Maras marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Paul Lock
Paul Lock marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Katie added it
Mar 07, 2015
Tabitha marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
  • Red Spikes
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • The Land of Dragons
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • Nightsiders (Twelve Planets book 1)
  • Black Glass
  • The Secret of Talmor Manor
  • Beyond Fear
  • Escaping the Tiger
  • Walking The Tree
  • Whispering Death (Inspector Challis, #6)
  • Secret Lives of Books (Twelve Planets book 10)
  • Blood and Other Cravings: Original Stories of Vampires and Vampirism by Today's Greatest Writers of Dark Fiction
  • Asymmetry (Twelve Planets book 8)
  • The Female Factory (Twelve Planets book 11)
  • Fire in the Sea
  • Spirit: Or, The Princess Of Bois Dormant
  • Lifespan of Starlight
Alison is the author of EON and EONA, a New York Times Bestselling fantasy duology which has sold into seventeen countries and been translated into ten languages. EON was short-listed for Victorian, NSW, and WA Premier’s Literary awards, and won the 2008 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Novel. It was also listed as an American Library Association Best Young Adult Book (2010), a James Tiptree Jr. Ho ...more
More about Alison Goodman...
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) Eona: The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2) Singing the Dogstar Blues The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1) Eon & Eona, a Duology Series