Start by marking “Killing the Rabbit” as Want to Read:
Killing the Rabbit

Killing the Rabbit

Murder is the main attraction in this dark and wickedly comic new thriller that follows a young indie filmmaker on her way to fame, fortune, and a shoot-out to the death.

Hannie Reynard landed every aspiring filmmaker’s dream: a hefty grant to make her documentary Freaks or Frauds. But the groundbreaking film that was supposed to launch Hannie’s career may kill her first. B
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published July 31st 2007 by Bantam (first published July 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Killing the Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing the Rabbit

Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

Whoever wrote Killing the Rabbit's description, has done it a great disservice. "A wickedly comic" thriller? Really? When was it funny exactly? When pregnant women were shot? Or when a man was cut into ribbons by some gang members? I am still waiting for those LOLs.

Anyway, the book is actually a quite gruesome and occasionally gross crime drama.

A forecaster for a huge Japanese pharmaceutical company specializing in contraceptive drugs in his zeal came up with a 200-yea
Jun 04, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Really more of 2.5 stars, but I thought giving it 2 stars would be too low. This was not a bad book, it just wasn't for me. I picked it up because I loved Goodman's Dragoneye duology and I love mysteries. Unfortunately, this was more of a "thriller," not a mystery- the motive and the bad guys are known from the beginning. That took all the fun of whodunnit away from me and that's what I read mysteries for. If you like adult thriller novels I'm sure you will like this as well.
Heather Bode
Feb 17, 2011 Heather Bode rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Unlike most authors that like to tease you with hints that you don't understand then forget about later, Goodman gives it to you straight, but all in good time. The characters are well-written and morally ambiguous, revealing more about themselves as the book progresses, leaving you with rich emotional turmoil. I randomly chose this book off of a library bookshelf, and I'm glad I did. It was an intriguing thriller that held my attention throughout its rich plot.
Amy
Oct 08, 2016 Amy rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-not-owned, crime
I have been struggling to read this book for awhile. The main problem I have is the layout. There seems to be no beginning of a chapter to be found. I got just over halfway through and I gave up. From reading the blurb I was expecting a more crime/ mystery than a conspiracy theory. I was confused.
Dark Matter
Jun 21, 2014 Dark Matter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nalini Haynes reviewed this book; for more reviews by Nalini, see Nalini Haynes on Dark Matter Zine.

Rating: 4 and a half out of 5 stars

Previously published in the US in 2007 under the title Killing the Rabbit, Clan Destine Press published A New Kind of Death in Australia for the first time in 2012.

A New Kind of Death is set in Australia in 2008, 10 years after Hannie Reynard graduated from film school and Mosson Ferret opted out in favour of securing a paycheck. Hannie has mismanaged her grant
Kelly Roll
Jan 24, 2010 Kelly Roll rated it liked it
A young film maker starts out making a documentary about women who are medical freaks. Along the way she is blackmailed and then joins with an accountant from the film commission she procured funds from.
Turns out there is also a shady Corporation and an ambitious business executive who orders a hit on one of the women the film maker wants to interview.
The story line has multiple viewpoints including those of the film maker, the accountant, the assassin and the executive. The characters are vivi
Pete Aldin
Jun 21, 2014 Pete Aldin rated it it was amazing
I've just read this novel in its new incarnation as A New Kind of Death (republished by Clan Destine Press). Definitely not for the squeamish. One of the best thrillers I've ever read, if a little hard to classify.

Japanese corporate espionage, assassins, filmmakers, Melbourne freeways and suburbs and restarants, Yakuza, Triads ... and a couple of illnesses that are horrible to contemplate but facinating to see the effects of.

Can't recommend this highly enough. One of the few books set in modern
Lindy Cameron
Jun 15, 2013 Lindy Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved this books since it was a mere manuscript. First published only in the US - as Killing the Rabbit - is a great and gritty Aussie crime novel.
Megrov Rellik
Megrov Rellik rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Tamora Pierce
Tamora Pierce rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2008
Nicky
Nicky rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2010
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Tanya King-Carmichael
Tanya King-Carmichael rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Shani Brown
Shani Brown rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2013
Jessica Maynard
Jessica Maynard rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Ahmed Monir
Ahmed Monir rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2014
Elizabeth Alger
Elizabeth Alger rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Justyne Bryndza
Justyne Bryndza rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Giavanni Freniere
Giavanni Freniere rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2016
Alison Evans
Alison Evans rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2010
Lyra
Lyra rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2013
Diana Murphy
Diana Murphy rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Dimity Powell
Dimity Powell rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Naneen
Naneen rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Catelin
Catelin rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Sarah Stephen
Sarah Stephen rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
marc
marc rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2007
Diane
Diane rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2015
William Howe
William Howe rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
  • Resurrection Bay (Caleb Zelic, #1)
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • The Land of Dragons
  • Red Spikes
  • Black Glass
  • Nightsiders (Twelve Planets book 1)
  • The Secret of Talmor Manor
  • Blood and Other Cravings: Original Stories of Vampires and Vampirism by Today's Greatest Writers of Dark Fiction
  • Secret Lives of Books (Twelve Planets book 10)
  • QF32
  • The Female Factory (Twelve Planets book 11)
  • Fire in the Sea
  • Walking The Tree
  • Whispering Death (Inspector Challis, #6)
  • Beyond Fear
  • Asymmetry (Twelve Planets book 8)
  • Facing Up
  • Lifespan of Starlight
Alison is the author of EON and EONA, a New York Times Bestselling fantasy duology. Her latest novel --The Dark Days Club-- is Book 1 in a new trilogy, and will be published in the USA and UK in January 2016, and December 2015 in Australia. It has been reviewed by Publishers Weekly as "a delicious collision of Regency romance and dark fantasy". Alison calls it "Pride and Prejudice meets Buffy in ...more
More about Alison Goodman...