Start by marking “Killing the Rabbit” as Want to Read:
Killing the Rabbit

Killing the Rabbit

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Murder is the main attraction in this dark and wickedly comic new thriller that follows a young indie filmmaker on her way to fame, fortune, and a shoot-out to the death.

Hannie Reynard landed every aspiring filmmaker’s dream: a hefty grant to make her documentary Freaks or Frauds. But the groundbreaking film that was supposed to launch Hannie’s career may kill her first. B
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published July 31st 2007 by Bantam (first published July 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Killing the Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing the Rabbit

Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

Whoever wrote Killing the Rabbit's description, has done it a great disservice. "A wickedly comic" thriller? Really? When was it funny exactly? When pregnant women were shot? Or when a man was cut into ribbons by some gang members? I am still waiting for those LOLs.

Anyway, the book is actually a quite gruesome and occasionally gross crime drama.

A forecaster for a huge Japanese pharmaceutical company specializing in contraceptive drugs in his zeal came up with a 200-yea
Dark Matter
Jun 21, 2014 Dark Matter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nalini Haynes reviewed this book; for more reviews by Nalini, see Nalini Haynes on Dark Matter Zine.

Rating: 4 and a half out of 5 stars

Previously published in the US in 2007 under the title Killing the Rabbit, Clan Destine Press published A New Kind of Death in Australia for the first time in 2012.

A New Kind of Death is set in Australia in 2008, 10 years after Hannie Reynard graduated from film school and Mosson Ferret opted out in favour of securing a paycheck. Hannie has mismanaged her grant
Heather Bode
Feb 17, 2011 Heather Bode rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Unlike most authors that like to tease you with hints that you don't understand then forget about later, Goodman gives it to you straight, but all in good time. The characters are well-written and morally ambiguous, revealing more about themselves as the book progresses, leaving you with rich emotional turmoil. I randomly chose this book off of a library bookshelf, and I'm glad I did. It was an intriguing thriller that held my attention throughout its rich plot.
Jun 04, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Really more of 2.5 stars, but I thought giving it 2 stars would be too low. This was not a bad book, it just wasn't for me. I picked it up because I loved Goodman's Dragoneye duology and I love mysteries. Unfortunately, this was more of a "thriller," not a mystery- the motive and the bad guys are known from the beginning. That took all the fun of whodunnit away from me and that's what I read mysteries for. If you like adult thriller novels I'm sure you will like this as well.
Pete Aldin
Jun 21, 2014 Pete Aldin rated it it was amazing
I've just read this novel in its new incarnation as A New Kind of Death (republished by Clan Destine Press). Definitely not for the squeamish. One of the best thrillers I've ever read, if a little hard to classify.

Japanese corporate espionage, assassins, filmmakers, Melbourne freeways and suburbs and restarants, Yakuza, Triads ... and a couple of illnesses that are horrible to contemplate but facinating to see the effects of.

Can't recommend this highly enough. One of the few books set in modern
Kelly Roll
Jan 24, 2010 Kelly Roll rated it liked it
A young film maker starts out making a documentary about women who are medical freaks. Along the way she is blackmailed and then joins with an accountant from the film commission she procured funds from.
Turns out there is also a shady Corporation and an ambitious business executive who orders a hit on one of the women the film maker wants to interview.
The story line has multiple viewpoints including those of the film maker, the accountant, the assassin and the executive. The characters are vivi
Lindy Cameron
Jun 15, 2013 Lindy Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved this books since it was a mere manuscript. First published only in the US - as Killing the Rabbit - is a great and gritty Aussie crime novel.
Jp
Mar 07, 2008 Jp rated it it was ok
Interesting book. More of a thriller than a mystery, but an interesting romp through Australia.
David McLean
The contrivance that drives the plot is remarkably plausible.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Rhonda L.
Rhonda L. marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Maddy Taub
Maddy Taub marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Hanna-anneli Belt
Hanna-anneli Belt marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Pattiannespicer
Pattiannespicer marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Kelli Santistevan
Kelli Santistevan marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Alyssa Vardas
Alyssa Vardas marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Andrew Allen
Andrew Allen marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Annabel Mcastillo
Annabel Mcastillo marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Paris
Paris added it
Apr 21, 2016
Hyatt Excel
Hyatt Excel marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Michelle Mai
Michelle Mai marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Tanya King-Carmichael
Tanya King-Carmichael rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Kyra
Kyra added it
Apr 07, 2016
Anna Carlzén
Anna Carlzén marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
KG
KG marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
  • Resurrection Bay (Caleb Zelic, #1)
  • The Land of Dragons
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • Red Spikes
  • The Secret of Talmor Manor
  • Nightsiders (Twelve Planets book 1)
  • The Female Factory (Twelve Planets book 11)
  • Secret Lives of Books (Twelve Planets book 10)
  • Fire in the Sea
  • Black Glass
  • Whispering Death (Inspector Challis, #6)
  • Walking The Tree
  • Blood and Other Cravings: Original Stories of Vampires and Vampirism by Today's Greatest Writers of Dark Fiction
  • Facing Up
  • The White Tyger (Princess of Roumania, #3)
  • Spirit: or, The Princess of Bois Dormant
  • Lifespan of Starlight
  • Paper Chains
Alison is the author of EON and EONA, a New York Times Bestselling fantasy duology. Her latest novel --The Dark Days Club-- is Book 1 in a new trilogy, and will be published in the USA and UK in January 2016, and December 2015 in Australia. It has been reviewed by Publishers Weekly as "a delicious collision of Regency romance and dark fantasy". Alison calls it "Pride and Prejudice meets Buffy in E ...more
More about Alison Goodman...