Killing the Rabbit

Killing the Rabbit

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Murder is the main attraction in this dark and wickedly comic new thriller that follows a young indie filmmaker on her way to fame, fortune, and a shoot-out to the death.

Hannie Reynard landed every aspiring filmmaker’s dream: a hefty grant to make her documentary Freaks or Frauds. But the groundbreaking film that was supposed to launch Hannie’s career may kill her first. B...more
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published July 31st 2007 by Bantam (first published July 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Killing the Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing the Rabbit

Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

Whoever wrote Killing the Rabbit's description, has done it a great disservice. "A wickedly comic" thriller? Really? When was it funny exactly? When pregnant women were shot? Or when a man was cut into ribbons by some gang members? I am still waiting for those LOLs.

Anyway, the book is actually a quite gruesome and occasionally gross crime drama.

A forecaster for a huge Japanese pharmaceutical company specializing in contraceptive drugs in his zeal came up with a 200-yea...more
Dark Matter
Nalini Haynes reviewed this book; for more reviews by Nalini, see Nalini Haynes on Dark Matter Zine.

Rating: 4 and a half out of 5 stars

Previously published in the US in 2007 under the title Killing the Rabbit, Clan Destine Press published A New Kind of Death in Australia for the first time in 2012.

A New Kind of Death is set in Australia in 2008, 10 years after Hannie Reynard graduated from film school and Mosson Ferret opted out in favour of securing a paycheck. Hannie has mismanaged her grant...more
Heather Bode
I really enjoyed this book. Unlike most authors that like to tease you with hints that you don't understand then forget about later, Goodman gives it to you straight, but all in good time. The characters are well-written and morally ambiguous, revealing more about themselves as the book progresses, leaving you with rich emotional turmoil. I randomly chose this book off of a library bookshelf, and I'm glad I did. It was an intriguing thriller that held my attention throughout its rich plot.
Really more of 2.5 stars, but I thought giving it 2 stars would be too low. This was not a bad book, it just wasn't for me. I picked it up because I loved Goodman's Dragoneye duology and I love mysteries. Unfortunately, this was more of a "thriller," not a mystery- the motive and the bad guys are known from the beginning. That took all the fun of whodunnit away from me and that's what I read mysteries for. If you like adult thriller novels I'm sure you will like this as well.
Pete Aldin
I've just read this novel in its new incarnation as A New Kind of Death (republished by Clan Destine Press). Definitely not for the squeamish. One of the best thrillers I've ever read, if a little hard to classify.

Japanese corporate espionage, assassins, filmmakers, Melbourne freeways and suburbs and restarants, Yakuza, Triads ... and a couple of illnesses that are horrible to contemplate but facinating to see the effects of.

Can't recommend this highly enough. One of the few books set in modern...more
Kelly
A young film maker starts out making a documentary about women who are medical freaks. Along the way she is blackmailed and then joins with an accountant from the film commission she procured funds from.
Turns out there is also a shady Corporation and an ambitious business executive who orders a hit on one of the women the film maker wants to interview.
The story line has multiple viewpoints including those of the film maker, the accountant, the assassin and the executive. The characters are vivi...more
Lindy Cameron
I have loved this books since it was a mere manuscript. First published only in the US - as Killing the Rabbit - is a great and gritty Aussie crime novel.
Jp
Interesting book. More of a thriller than a mystery, but an interesting romp through Australia.
David McLean
The contrivance that drives the plot is remarkably plausible.
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Linda Todd
Linda Todd marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Alkmini
Alkmini marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Lissoko
Lissoko marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
ThatWasClassic
ThatWasClassic marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Alicia Gannon
Alicia Gannon marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Mishelle Boligor
Mishelle Boligor marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jesa
Jesa marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Liberty Brown
Liberty Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Tien
Tien marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Khadija
Khadija marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Alison is the author of EON and EONA, a New York Times Bestselling fantasy duology which has sold into seventeen countries and been translated into ten languages. EON was short-listed for Victorian, NSW, and WA Premier’s Literary awards, and won the 2008 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Novel. It was also listed as an American Library Association Best Young Adult Book (2010), a James Tiptree Jr. Ho...more
More about Alison Goodman...
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) Eona: The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2) Singing the Dogstar Blues Eon & Eona, a Duology Series Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1)