Start by marking “The Truth about Medium: Extraordinary Experiments with the Real Allison DuBois of NBC's Medium and Other Remarkable Psychics” as Want to Read:

Recounts four years of experiments at the University of Arizona with the real Allison DuBois--the inspiration for NBC's drama Medium--as well as the true-life cases Allison has worked on. These experiments clearly demonstrate the validity of psychic ability and mediumship--Provided by publisher.
Published October 5th 2005 by Hampton Roads Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Truth about Medium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth about Medium

Waverly Fitzgerald
Jan 23, 2015 Waverly Fitzgerald rated it it was ok
Turns out this is the second time I've read this book and I think both times I just skimmed as the writing is bland despite the fascinating topic. Schwartz is a scientist who has devised quite complicated studies to test the accuracy of mediums, including Allison DuBois, the medium whose life was used as the basis for the TV show, Medium (which I have never watched). I read it because I'm writing a novel about a Victorian trance medium and I wanted to know more about how mediums worked. I didn't ...more
 Marla
I was fascinated by the incidents that happened in Allison DuBois' life that were recreated in the TV show.

The scientific experiments got a little tedious, but you have to appreciate how the scientists tried to preserve the integrity of their experiments and anonymity of the test subjects. How exactly did the mediums even know who to read when it was being done via telephone through a second party?

I don't know how much I believe in psychics and mediums, but it was an interesting book.

Rachel
May 10, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
I found this book interesting and it made me realize how much of a skeptic I still was about mediums and mediumship. I was amazed by the people involved and the results from the readings time and agian throughout the book. The way this doctor/author set up, performed and graded the results was brillant so no one could go back and say it was set up or faked in any way. Even if you don't believe at all you should take a look at this book. You may find your beliefs shaken and have to rethink what y ...more
Pam
Aug 06, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
I found the topic very interesting and the book gave me many resources plus things to think about.
Jan 21, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok
The first half was interesting but then it devolved into the politics of skeptic/believer, and started listing the author's own grievances, and I suddenly got really really bored.
David
Nov 12, 2009 David rated it it was ok
I got about halfway through this book and found I could get no further... It just wasn't what I expected. Too "scientific" yet not convincing.
Cathy
Feb 17, 2009 Cathy rated it did not like it
Too much scientific jargon for me.
Sabrina Rutter
Sabrina Rutter rated it did not like it
May 25, 2009
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2008
david lethbridge
david lethbridge rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2008
Caiti
Caiti rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Beth Frazier
Beth Frazier rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2008
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Mychele
Mychele rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2010
Taylor
Taylor rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2010
Julee
Julee rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2009
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2008
Misericordia ❣
Misericordia ❣ rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Ann444
Ann444 rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Sandi
Sandi rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2009
Susan Donk
Susan Donk rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Suzanne Giesemann
Suzanne Giesemann rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
May 21, 2011
Emily Mcilroy
Emily Mcilroy rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2013
Gillian Doyle
Gillian Doyle rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Gary E. Schwartz, Ph.D., is Professor of Psychology, Medicine, Neurology, Psychiatry, and Surgery at the University of Arizona, at the main campus in Tucson. In addition to teaching courses on health and spiritual psychology, he is the Director of the Laboratory for Advances in Consciousness and Health.

Gary received his Ph.D. in psychology from Harvard University in 1971 and was an assistant profe
More about Gary E. Schwartz...