Start by marking “Beauty and the Beast” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  9,802 Ratings  ·  440 Reviews
Jeanne Marie Le Prince de Beaumont was a French novelist born in 1711. After her first marriage was annulled she moved to London, becoming a governess. After a successful writing career she remarried had many children and lived in Savoy. Beaumont wrote several books on education. She was one of the first to write fairy tales for children. Mme Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Vi ...more
Paperback, Abridged, 48 pages
Published December 15th 2008 by Book Jungle (first published 1756)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty and the Beast, please sign up.

Rebe A. Vargas 3 brothers and 3 sisters, and they were mean to her because they were jealous.

Huda Aweys
I love this story .. really :) .. and I think that: this story was able to teach -at some point- about the meaning of nobility and compassion to the children indirectly way !
بالمناسبة بعد قراءتي لألف ليلة و ليلة اكتشفت ان الجميلة و الوحش هي اقتباس لواحدة من حكاياتها :) ! كم انتي عظيمة يا الف ليلة و ليلة
:)))
Νόρα
Τραγική παράλειψη από μέρους μου να μην έχω προσθέσει ένα από τα αγαπημένα παραμύθια της παιδικής μου ηλικίας.Η διασημότερη ιστορία αγάπης και το πιο ρομαντικό παραμύθι που ειπώθηκε ποτέ.Το πιο σημαντικό όμως είναι ότι η ιστορία για την πεντάμορφη και το τέρας έχει πολλά κοινωνικά μηνύματα.Όπως το να μην κρίνεις και διαχωρίζεις τους άλλους ανάλογα με την εξωτερική τους εμφάνιση, είναι ένα από αυτά. Η ομορφιά ή η ασχήμια της ψυχής δεν συνάδει απαραίτητα με αυτή της εξωτερικής παρουσίας.
Πρέπει να
Brad
Out of idle curiosity, I've lately been turning my reading to Scoutie into a discovery of the source texts for Disney's biggest films. I stumbled upon versions of both Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty that were surprisingly close to Disney's Princess movies, and we had much fun with them (I wish old Walt hadn't cut the baby-eating Ogre Queen Mum from Sleeping Beauty, though. What fun that would have been).

Our most recent read was Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve's La Belle et la Bête, the ve
Eman
Oct 09, 2014 Eman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATES:

• Thanks to Rachel in the comments below, it turns out that Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve is the author of the original French version which was published in 1740, La Belle et la Bête, which is more elaborate but less famous. If anyone knows where I can get an eBook with good English translation, please be generous and kindly let me know.

• Found the original book! Reviewed [here].

• Can you feel the Belle in Emma Watson? I totally can. Imagine Emma x Hermione x Belle.. All in one
Mangrii
Jul 23, 2015 Mangrii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nunca había leído el cuento original, y esta ha sido una ocasión perfecta, aunque sea una versión abreviada escrita por Leprince de Beaumont. No voy a desvelar nada de la trama, pero sí que tengo que decir que tiene muchos cambios con respecto a la conocida versión de Disney, aquí Bella no es hija única y la rosa es importante, pero en otro sentido. En las apenas 50 páginas que tiene el volumen te ves sumergido en este cuento, tanto seas niño como adulto.
Un cuento lleno de magia y sobre todo, de
Bennet
Mar 02, 2013 Bennet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels-stories
I recently found an interesting dissertation about this author, which prompted a rereading of her version of the fairy tale, one of my favorites. To the several good reviews of de Beaumont's telling, I'll add this: The emphasis tends to be on Belle's redemptive love for the beast, but his redemption depends just as much on his love for her; she stays with him because of his kindness to her. It's mutual care and respect that enable this love despite the difficulties. The lesson, girls and boys -- ...more
Meags
4 Stars

It's a tale as old as time...

See what I did there? Hehe. Seriously, though, Beauty and the Beast has always been a favourite classic fairytale of mine. I grew up absolutely obsessed with the Disney version because of reasons...

I was always crazy jealous of Belle for snagging herself the owner of the greatest make-believe library in the world. That Beast seriously has it going on!!!

Hearing that a live-action film version is on the way in 2017 was the kick I needed to finally attempt to rea
Raoofa Ibrahim
May 23, 2016 Raoofa Ibrahim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dead-authors
I read this story when I was 7 years .. I still remember some of my imagination about it.
and now I'm re-reading it in English.. It didn't fascinate me like it did when I was little, but It's a good story!
----
I'm excited to see the movie .. Emma watson as Beauty
Beauty and the Beast Official US Teaser Trailer
Nickolas
Apr 22, 2012 Nickolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That’s right I just read Beauty and the Beast. I’m a man too by the way. A MAN! I’m a man that wins pennants and state championship rings. I’m a man that fought in Valley Forge and later stormed the beaches of Normandy to kill Nazi’s. I’m a man that hates sissy stuff and will bench press your face off if you question otherwise. This is not a Disney book OH NO! This is not full of singing and chirping fa la la NO WAY! This is a cautionary tale for real men LIKE ME, who are seduced by pretty women ...more
Yani
Me gustó (carita feliz con una lágrima). De más está decir que terminé de leerlo un poquitín indignada por las atribuciones que se tomó Disney para cambiar la historia (y lo peor de todo: asentarla en la memoria), aunque igual tenía cierta lógica. En el cuento no hay un desarrollo de los personajes, ya que es tan breve que no da tiempo para esas cosas e importa más la moraleja. En esta versión, Bella tiene hermanos e inciden directamente en la historia, por ejemplo. De todas formas, la esencia e ...more
Maryame
Nov 09, 2016 Maryame rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After seeing the new photos from the Beauty & The Beast movie, I just had to read this.

This is story will forever hold a special place in my heart. I just adore evrything about it.

Belle, next to Rapunzal, is my Favorite princess. & the fact that she's a bookworm makes her even greater.

There are of course differences between the book & the Disney movie, but both are Fantastic and I just Love them so so much

It's just a beautiful, charming story with an amazing message, & I just CA
Amalie
I'm beginning to wonder "the evil" in the fairy tales are really evil? It seems that all the witches and wicked fairies are the smartest women lived in these fairy-tale times. They often cast evil spells to teach wicked people to learn their faults and change, like modern-day rehab. For examples: Frog Prince (the prince himself), Sleeping Beauty (The lesson was for the parents), Beauty and Beast(for Beast).

I used to adore Disney version but this one is better. In this version, Beauty has 3 brot
Marquise
It's a shorter version of Madame de Villeneuve's rendition, less than half the length, and that it's a summation shows, because Belle is less fleshed out and comes out as more archetypical than "real life."

Still, I love the ending of this version more than Villeneuve's for one reason: although in both versions Beast sheds his animalistic form in the end and turns back into a handsome prince, in Beaumont's rendition she expresses dismay at the disappearance of Beast. Which echoes what a lot of f
Ana Rînceanu
While I still have not read the original The Beauty and the Beast by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve, I know that this abridged version is the most popular. I was pleasantly surprised by how gentle the Beast was compared to the Disney version, even if their relationship resembles more a case of Stockholm Syndrome than of true love.
Maricarmen Estrada M
This, I believe, is the original version of the classic tale for children so popular today. The real worth of a person is her/his virtue and kindness, above wit and beauty. I enjoyed it very much.
aetan
Feb 17, 2017 aetan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's a good, short story but there lacks something, it may be because I love the Disney movie so much.
Aura
Dec 25, 2016 Aura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ha sido diferente a la película pero aun así precioso. Es muy cortito pero me ha encantado.
Carla
Jul 27, 2016 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: minha-estante
Um conto de fantasia lindo e que me surpreendeu pela positiva, isto porque nada tem a ver com o filme da Disney. Apesar de gostar muito da adaptação cinematográfica e ser um dos filmes que mais gosto de ver, adorei o livro. Tem um encanto muito próprio, uma beleza de escrita extraordinária.
Fico sempre surpreendida com os livros adaptados ao cinema, neste caso não foi diferente. Escrito em 1757 é um livro de uma simplicidade maravilhosa e de um encantamento delicioso.
Uma excelente escolha para Le
Chicco Padovan
Jan 21, 2015 Chicco Padovan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La fiaba non è certo quella di Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, pur vantando la traduzione di Beatrice Masini, e chi sia l’autore della riduzione del testo non è dato sapere. Le illustrazioni di Gabriel Pacheco, quelle sì sono uno splendore: non ricordo disegni più belli ispirati a La bella e la bestia. Per i collezionisti di albi illustrati un gioiello!
Neri.
Jan 14, 2016 Neri. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful fairytales ever told. This classic story is beautiful and absolutely magical.
Mckinlay
Feb 23, 2017 Mckinlay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-owned, 2017
gotta say, i prefer the movie. i thought this would be longer and more fleshed out, but the movie is actually more fleshed out than this. this is very short, and fast, but the movie just has so much more magic. i can appreciate the original tale for all that it has inspired, but definitely not my favorite.
Donna Bijas
Feb 02, 2017 Donna Bijas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lunch hour read with only 50 pages. Everyone knows a tale as old as time. No need for me to embellish and this is a wonderful fairy tale to read aloud to children.
Barbara Ann
Dec 08, 2013 Barbara Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This rendition of the classic fairy tale is based on the original eighteenth century version. No Disney elements are found here. This original version was written and distributed widely in France to protest the marriage system of the day in which women had no right to choose or refuse a mate. The original version was a full length novel written for adults, which was later shortened.

At the beginning of the tale, the reader meets a wealthy merchant who has six sons and six daughters. They live sum
Carol
Aug 28, 2015 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2015
I dont' remember where I've heard the story before, but it's exactly as I remember it was.
Quite typical fairy tale, the merchant who has 3 daughters, 2 of them evil as Satan himself, and the youngest one a fair, decent, honest maiden, full of virtue and selfless. And, as always, good things happen to her, and bad things to her sisters.
But it's quite a lovely fairy tale, the Beast is certainly far more decent than Disney's one. XD
✣ Freya Wilkinson ✣
"I prefer you, just as you are, to those, who, under a human form, hide a treacherous, corrupt, and ungrateful heart."

Short and sweet. I wanted to read the original story out of curiosity because I've loved numerous retellings and in its essence it's one of my favourite stories of all time. This is the very bare bones of the classic tale.
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
La historia es abreviada pero sigue manteniendo la esencia y la magia de la historia clásica. Las ilustraciones son preciosas, amplias y todas en tonos blancos y negros. Una edición preciosa y muy elegante, perfecta para cualquier regalo.
Rachel Skye
A classic. I am actually writing a paper on Beauty and the Beast and all the tales that are well known. To be updated then!
تماضر المهدي
I remember Mama reading this to me & my sister when we were kids so reading The Beauty & The Beast at this age has brought so many memories & i just couldn't help but smile during the whole thing :D
Andrea
Jan 31, 2017 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Due to the hype over the upcoming remake of the Disney adaptation of this story, I decided to finally tackle the original. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised; that a fairy tale like this could be so effective in its simplicity. It has all the ingredients for a timeless classic fairy tale: a strong yet goodhearted heroine, wicked antagonists for the reader to scoff and sneer at, and a plot which involves racing against time to undo a magical curse. With an interwoven message for the reade ...more
Emily Dones
This was okay. I wouldn't read it again. The Disney version has given it more meaning to Beast's curse. However there are some similarities of course like in the end. When they have become friends and Beauty/Belle doesn't realize the extent of her feelings until she thinks that something bad happened to him. Overall I think fans of the Disney version would be very dissapointed in this simplistic version of the story.
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Cinderella, or The Little Glass Slipper
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Cinderella
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • Snow White
  • East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon
Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, born Vaimboult was a French teacher, journalist and writer. She is the author of many classic tales for children and youth.

Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, née Vaimboult était une pédagogue, journaliste et écrivain française. Elle est l'auteur de nombreux contes classiques pour les enfants et la jeunesse.
More about Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont...

“There is many a monster who wears the form of a man; it is better of the two to have the heart of a man and the form of a monster. ” 45 likes
“Afterwards, thought she to herself, "Beast surely has a mind to fatten me before he eats me,” 2 likes