Start by marking “Making It Up As I Go Along: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Making It Up As I Go Along: A Novel

Making It Up As I Go Along: A Novel

When California-born war correspondent Saffron Roch discovers that she’s pregnant (read: knocked-up, newly jobless, and single at thirty-eight), she decides to leave Sierra Leone and surgeon Oscar DeVries, the baby’s cheating father who, despite his huge ego and surprisingly small member, had captured her heart.

So Saffron turns in her backstage pass to the violent dissolut
Published June 7th 2005 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Making It Up As I Go Along, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making It Up As I Go Along

Nancy Brady
The story of Saffron, a 38-year-old war correspondent who finds herself pregnant with a cheating man's baby. She returns home with newborn in tow to California where she has inherited the bulk of the family estate with caveats attached. Becoming friends with several women in the breastfeeding class, she reveals her life in Sierra Leone over time. Told with humor, this is a story any mother would understand as she goes through all the new mother trauma (getting baby fed, diapered, burped, diapere ...more
Barbara
Quick and enjoyable read but nothing particularly special or compelling.
Kristen
Oct 21, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From a journalist in war-riddled Africa to single motherhood in Beverly Hills.

I found this book on the library shelf and based on the summary decided to read it. I found it interesting. There is a great variety of characters that interact in Saffron's life and I wish a few would have been expanded a bit more.

Some of the flashback scenes seemed out of place and I had to reread sentences occasionally to figure out what was happening; but once I did, it would get clear again.

I found the ending to
zespri
Jan 22, 2012 zespri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
A great story, an easy light read that kept me turning the pages....

Picked it at the library as thought the title was great, and as most mothers know, we do indeed make it up as we go along...

But there was more to the book than just a commentary on new motherhood. Saffron, the main character, is a new mom who has left Sierra Leone where she has been a war correspondent. Her reason for leaving - she falls out with the father of the baby who just happens to be a gritty, good looking surgeon who ha
Lindsay
Aug 29, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Huh. This was a weird book. It mixed extremely disturbing and difficult world events with extremely trivial and unimportant daily events. I think she was attempting to make you see the obvious frivolity of life in LA as compared to life in Sierra Leone but she seriously missed the boat. It was disjointed and confusing at times and there were parts that were so completely unimportant and not even remotely necessary that it was distracting. Not a good book...I picked it up as I hurried through the ...more
Rachel
Jan 17, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of people seemed to have disliked this book, but I really enjoyed it. It had everything I liked in a book - a quick-reading love story wrapped up with politics and an ending that I found cathartic. Four stars out of five.
Suzanne
A great book about the realities of mothering. This book was enjoyable, witty and easy to relate to especially if you've ever been the mother of newborn. I would definitely recommend this book!
Alissa
Dec 07, 2008 Alissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Wimpy, somewhat thin plot and the flashbacks to life in Africa aren't handled well. Supporting characters are two dimensional.
Janet
Janet rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2008
Amy K
Amy K rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Hannah Showalter
Hannah Showalter rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2007
Maria Lennon
Maria Lennon rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2010
Stacycam
Stacycam rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2009
Angel Mariano
Angel Mariano rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Rachel Gabriele
Rachel Gabriele rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Aviva
Aviva rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2007
Mary Beth Seefelt
Mary Beth Seefelt rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2009
amanda  miller
amanda miller rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2008
Cynthia Griesedieck
Cynthia Griesedieck rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it did not like it
Jun 30, 2008
Clarityseeker
Clarityseeker rated it liked it
May 31, 2011
Dievanniekerks
Dievanniekerks rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2009
Stevi
Stevi rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2009
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
MOTHERS Book Bag: Book Review: Making It Up As I Go Along 1 4 Nov 14, 2011 11:25AM