Start by marking “Making It Up As I Go Along: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Making It Up As I Go Along: A Novel

Making It Up As I Go Along: A Novel

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  8 reviews
When California-born war correspondent Saffron Roch discovers that she’s pregnant (read: knocked-up, newly jobless, and single at thirty-eight), she decides to leave Sierra Leone and surgeon Oscar DeVries, the baby’s cheating father who, despite his huge ego and surprisingly small member, had captured her heart.

So Saffron turns in her backstage pass to the violent dissolut
Published June 7th 2005 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Making It Up As I Go Along, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making It Up As I Go Along

Nancy Brady
The story of Saffron, a 38-year-old war correspondent who finds herself pregnant with a cheating man's baby. She returns home with newborn in tow to California where she has inherited the bulk of the family estate with caveats attached. Becoming friends with several women in the breastfeeding class, she reveals her life in Sierra Leone over time. Told with humor, this is a story any mother would understand as she goes through all the new mother trauma (getting baby fed, diapered, burped, diapere ...more
Barbara
Quick and enjoyable read but nothing particularly special or compelling.
Kristen
From a journalist in war-riddled Africa to single motherhood in Beverly Hills.

I found this book on the library shelf and based on the summary decided to read it. I found it interesting. There is a great variety of characters that interact in Saffron's life and I wish a few would have been expanded a bit more.

Some of the flashback scenes seemed out of place and I had to reread sentences occasionally to figure out what was happening; but once I did, it would get clear again.

I found the ending to
zespri
A great story, an easy light read that kept me turning the pages....

Picked it at the library as thought the title was great, and as most mothers know, we do indeed make it up as we go along...

But there was more to the book than just a commentary on new motherhood. Saffron, the main character, is a new mom who has left Sierra Leone where she has been a war correspondent. Her reason for leaving - she falls out with the father of the baby who just happens to be a gritty, good looking surgeon who ha
Lindsay
Huh. This was a weird book. It mixed extremely disturbing and difficult world events with extremely trivial and unimportant daily events. I think she was attempting to make you see the obvious frivolity of life in LA as compared to life in Sierra Leone but she seriously missed the boat. It was disjointed and confusing at times and there were parts that were so completely unimportant and not even remotely necessary that it was distracting. Not a good book...I picked it up as I hurried through the ...more
Rachel
A lot of people seemed to have disliked this book, but I really enjoyed it. It had everything I liked in a book - a quick-reading love story wrapped up with politics and an ending that I found cathartic. Four stars out of five.
Suzanne
A great book about the realities of mothering. This book was enjoyable, witty and easy to relate to especially if you've ever been the mother of newborn. I would definitely recommend this book!
Alissa
Wimpy, somewhat thin plot and the flashbacks to life in Africa aren't handled well. Supporting characters are two dimensional.
Amy Yazdani
Amy Yazdani marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Iliana Sandoval
Iliana Sandoval marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Jessie Haynes
Jessie Haynes is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Tamara
Tamara added it
Apr 15, 2014
♥ Sandi
♥ Sandi marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Jae Bull
Jae Bull marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Ronnie Brue
Ronnie Brue marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Brandie
Brandie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
MOTHERS Book Bag: Book Review: Making It Up As I Go Along 1 4 Nov 14, 2011 11:25AM