Start by marking “Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association” as Want to Read:
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association

Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  4,187 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
In addition to providing guidance on grammar, the mechanics of writing, and APA style, this manual offers an authoritative reference and citation system. It also covers the treatment of numbers, statistical and mathematical data, tables and figures.
Published July 1st 2009 by American Psychological Association (APA) (first published December 31st 1983)

Bibliomantic
... featuring perhaps the most absurd rules of all time for citing references.
Jim Schools
Jan 02, 2012 Jim Schools rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: idt
This book certainly must rank as one of the most "ironic" publications in recent history. The whole point of this book is to provide clear instructions on how to format a scholarly paper that is produced for a college-level class. Good intentions were in place to update and reorganize the material in the previous edition, but apparently they forgot rule number one: be sure to proofread and double-check your work! The result is an infamously error-ridden guide on how not to commit errors. Nonethe ...more
Jenn
Jun 03, 2011 Jenn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I have to say that this reference was required reading for my Masters degree. I don't know WHAT possessed the university to select this horrible publication manual. Secondly, unless you're forced to use it, I would never recommend this publication to another scholar. I felt like I was walking into the inner circles of the Inferno with Dante Alighieri.

The work is poorly laid out and confusing. Just when I thought I understood an APA format for a cited web site journal, I still managed t
Tortla
I keep noticing inconsistencies/errors in my MLIS professors' reference lists, which I think gives me the authority to declare myself Finished With This Book.

I really really prefer MLA and Chicago and AP. Like, why you gotta be so different in-text and in your reference list, APA formatting? Why you gotta require title pages and abstracts instead of just letting people present their information immediately? What's the deal with not capitalizing article titles like they're titles?

I mean, all styl
Will
Jan 30, 2013 Will rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the standard issue for describing APA style publishing. All the information found in this book is found on the web site apastyle.org which of course is the most comprehensive. This book is best for those about to pursue a graduate degree or a research-intensive undergraduate degree. It's best to read through this before beginning to write, because there are sections about phrasing and punctuation that you would want to know before beginning. The main shortcoming of this book is that ...more
Arda
Aug 31, 2015 Arda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, why do academics and researchers insist on taking the passion out of writing?

My struggle with quantitative research was an affirmation that there's a creative nature in me that may respect the rules but will always be frustrated by the exclusive confinement of analysis.

Thanks to this book, I now know that:
1) If I am to ever become a published scholar, my name will be cited as "Aghazarian, A." I declare that as denouncement of identity, dammit.
2) I respect the rules of writing, but
Sue
Jul 23, 2010 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any student
Recommended to Sue by: University
Shelves: school, apa, dissertation
I have looked through this book more times than I can count. It is not exactly something I could sit reading cover to cover however it is an excellent resource book for APA6. I actually waited until all the bugs were edited out of the previous versions before buying my copy as I did not wish to get all the updates and I did not mind paying the extra amount for it as it has been well worth the amount of documentation. I have gotten more information on how to ensure papers are correctly cited usin ...more
Courtney
Feb 14, 2009 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must have if you do a lot of writing in APA format. This book answers every question one might have about writing in APA. It also give numerous examples. Great book!
James
Mar 19, 2008 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers and students
A standard reference used far more widely than the title implies, this is a handy guide to all the nitpicking format questions that come up in a lot of academic and professional writing situations. A tool every writer should have on the shelf.
Lyddie
Jan 17, 2011 Lyddie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It doesn't tell you how to site Web pages, and the index wouldn't let me find most things I needed. The in-text citation information wasn't helpful, either. Is it possible to give something negative stars? MLA is so much better.
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Hate, hate, hate this book and everything about it. The last edition was so much easier. This one - it is hard to find anything - I found it easier just to look things up on line than in here. Very choppy and not set up well.
Linda
This is an excellent tool for anyone using APA format for writing or editing social science research papers. It's clear, concise, and so far has answered any questions I have had well writing in this format for many years. This is the 5th edition copyright 2002.
Lisa
Not a book you can really like or dislike. If you need to know APA it is a required read, if you don't ... it is the sure cure for insomnia :)
Melanie Olson
Jan 12, 2010 Melanie Olson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
An absolute MUST HAVE for anyone who writes: students, practitioners, etc. I use mine just about every single day! Well organized, and information is easy to find.
Fredrick Danysh
The manual discusses style and content of manuscripts for publication. Bias, punctuation, abbreviations, and spelling are covered as is proper citation of sources.
Randina
Jun 29, 2009 Randina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you need to know about proper APA format. You know you want to read it!!
Lea
Sep 24, 2012 Lea is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great for writing a paper. Also great for curing insomnia.
Patti McDermott
very old, but the only copy I have available at the moment.
Ronda  Tutt
Nov 02, 2009 Ronda Tutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
Every college student should have this book on their shelves
Patrick
Aug 19, 2010 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most hard to use reference books I've come across in a while.
Lisa M. Whalen
Oct 30, 2016 Lisa M. Whalen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference

Extremely helpful resource for scholarly writing. I'm using this while writing for my doctorate. Where I have the paperback, I also wanted the digital version for my tablet to have with me whenever i needed it.
Rhonda Anderberg
Working on my Masters Degree, this is a valuable reference that I use constantly.
areadersjourney
I needed this book at the beginning of class. I wouldn't have missed so many points. Ughhh!!! :o(
Barb  Arnold
This was required reading for a class on APA formatting for my BSN. My original college/nursing was 25 years ago. I do think understanding APA is anymore clear today than 25years ago. The book is good for reference guide but has many errors. Not good for a reference. Online guide for double checking is great resource.
Terri Lynn
Dec 23, 2013 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book I recommend to the general reader. It is for academic writers and researchers. Those who are not college students, graduate students, or people with a master's or doctorate who do research and academic writing will not be quite as giddy as I am about this. Goodreads has it down that I began reading this today which is not true. I have read parts of it here and there as needed since 2010. I know some of it by heart from using it so much. I finally sat down this month and have r ...more
Aseel
Jan 07, 2013 Aseel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pdf, printed
Errors in the first printing of the sixth edition

Despite multiple reviews of the manuscript at the copy-editing and proof-reading stages by senior editors, staff realized, shortly after the manual had gone to press, that the sample papers contained multiple errors.
On October 5, 2009, APA staff responded to the note, clarifying that errors were found in the sample papers, that the papers had been corrected and posted online, that the substantive guidance in the manual was correct and accurate as
Christopher
Can someone tell me why the APA is now the leading authority on citation style in the social sciences? I get that parenthetical citation is worlds better than old-style footnotes, but why the American Psychological Association?

This book gets into the gory details of citing every source you can think of. Website? Nae problemo. Interview? Got it. Email thread? It's in there. Dissertations, theses, patents? They got you covered.

I don't claim to have read the whole thing (although I think I've read
Garrett
Nov 03, 2010 Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For getting information out about APA style, it does its job.

For the authors be willing to update and fix their own style errors in the first printing, they get 5 stars.

APA is not the easiest or most understandable style out there, but it is what I am supposed to be teaching my students. So, I thought I should actually buy it.

I skimmed more than I read it, but it seems well organized and provides some examples that should be helpful.

I do applaud them for trying to put more online and leaving the
Sushipink
Jan 27, 2013 Sushipink rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This thing haunts my nightmares!

why do they even need to control this stuff?!! Gah, I fully accept that people who do not know the difference between a colon and a semi-colon should be appropriately chastised, but inherent control-freakery of the APA speaks to something pathological lurking in their psyches. Why do we buy into this behaviour and thus legitimise it?! And why, oh why, are there SIX editions?! Don't these people ever have fun?

and yes, I recognise that this is all my fault for not
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV
  • Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy
  • Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
  • DSM-IV Made Easy: The Clinician's Guide to Diagnosis

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »