Love Fights, Vol. 1

Love Fights, Vol. 1

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  7 reviews
It's hard enough for your average person to get a date with all the anxieties we have in our modern world. For Jack, it's even worse. Where he lives, superheroes are a common sight, flying through the air and showing off their outrageous muscles in their skintight outfits. In comparison, a regular guy must seem boring and puny. So when he meets Nora in the midst of two ste...more
Published May 4th 2004 by Oni Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Love Fights, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Fights, Vol. 1

Beth
This totally charming graphic novel romance is set in a city where it's just another fact of life that superheroes exist. interrupting daily life when they have fights that break up the mid-morning commute. They are the talk of the water cooler and star in the comics, news and tabloids, where they may or not father illegitimate children.

Nora, an assistant for sleazy Ex-pose magazine bumps into inker Jack on the train and interest is piqued on both fronts, but Jack, insecure in a world where girl...more
Jen
Oct 30, 2007 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Well, this was a quick read, and I really enjoyed the artwork. The problem is that I'm not totally sure I enjoyed the story. Basically, the story takes place in a Watchmen-style world where superheroes are common and are celebrities, and a romance begins to blossom between a guy who draws comic books (about a superhero, sort of like publicity pamphlets) and a girl who writes for a newsmag tabloid sort of thing that exposes all the gossip and rumors about superheroes. It's interesting, I just did...more
Rainey
Watson tried to throw in superheroes
for action, but this graphic novel just came off as a dull soap opera.
Holly Letson
This takes place in a world, where Superheroes and Superheroines are real, and they seem to be looked up to by everyone when being good and hated when going through scandals. That aspect reminds me of *Tiger & Bunny*, but the similarities end at that.
--------------------------
Superheroes aside, this is just another geek-looking-for-a-girlfriend-then-obviously-easily-winning-her-over story. It's OK, but not highly impressive.
------------------------
I really liked the cat in this story, an...more
teresa
The main character is a guy who writes comic books about superheroes but the twist is that superheroes really exist and the comic books exist as publicity for the superheroes.

He is looking for love but feels that with superheroes around women aren't that attracted to regular girls.

Good illustrations. Ok story.
Matt Mazenauer
Cute and kinda sweet, what drew Kate & I to thsi originally, was teh kickassedly unique art style. It's a fun ongoing series with love, gossip, politics, superheroes, and jealous cats all interwoven.
HeavyReader
I barely remember reading this book, even though I read it in the last couple of years.

Superheroes...Romance...Misunderstandings...
Filipe Alves
Filipe Alves marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
David Bubash
David Bubash marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Olivia
Olivia added it
Jul 11, 2014
Itai
Itai marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
David Bubash
David Bubash marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Rubs
Rubs marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
reba
reba marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Andrew "Andi" Watson (born 1969) is a British cartoonist and illustrator best known for the graphic novels Breakfast After Noon, Slow News Day and his series Love Fights, published by Oni Press and Slave Labor Graphics.

Watson has also worked for more mainstream American comic publishers with some work at DC Comics, a twelve-issue limited series at Marvel Comics, with the majority at Dark Horse Com...more
More about Andi Watson...
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4 Clubbing Breakfast After Noon Slow News Day Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Uninvited Guests (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #12 Buffy Season 3)