Start by marking “Jonathan Livingston Seagull” as Want to Read:
Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  136,090 Ratings  ·  4,703 Reviews
This is a story for people who follow their hearts and make their own rules...people who get special pleasure out of doing something well, even if only for themselves...people who know there's more to this living than meets the eye: they'll be right there with Jonathan, flying higher and faster than ever they dreamed.
Published April 14th 2009 by Scribner (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Jonathan Livingston Seagull, please sign up.

Malva Heed I loved those! They really added to the atmosphere as well as gave you room to ponder the text.

Jonathan
May 21, 2008 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who smell like patchouli
Recommended to Jonathan by: my birth certificate
Basically, you've got a seagull who just can't fit in with other seagulls. If this was written within the last decade, Jonathan would be coping with his outcast status by wearing a black trench coat and rolling 20-sided dice for fun. He would also achieve a loyal following of other socially awkward birds by totally kicking ass in Guitar Hero.

Sadly, this was written in the halcyon days of the 70's, so Jonathan goes on a soul searching quest and learns how to fly better than any other seagull. Gra
Ahmad Sharabiani
داستان «منطق الطیر» عطار که «سی مرغ»، در جست و جو به سیمرغ میرسند این بار دستمایه ی «ریچارد باخ» شده. سیمرغ عطار در این شعرگونه همان بهشت است، که جاناتان میپرسد: آیا مکانی به نام بهشت وجود دارد؟ در جواب میشنود از مرغ فرزانه، که خیر جاناتان، چنین مکانی وجود ندارد. بهشت یک مکان، یا یک زمان نیست، بهشت یعنی کامل شدن. احمد شربیانی
Jonathan Livingston Seagull - a story, Richard Bach
نخستین بار در سال 1354 با عنوان: پرنده ای به نام آذرباد؛ با ترجمه سودابه پرتوی در انتشارات امیرکبیر و در سال 1369 با نام
Mrelia
Dec 15, 2011 Mrelia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after hearing for years that it was great and life-changing. I expected at worst that it wouldn't be quite as good as advertised. Boy was I in for a surprise!

What I read was the biggest load of self-indulgent, pseudo-inspirational tripe I've read in my life!

Apparently, the moral of the allegorical tale is that being "ordinary" is bad, ignoring practical needs to pursue your passion is good and if others don't understand you it's because you're a misunderstood genius/spiritually
Janet
Mar 08, 2008 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are inspired by Abraham Lincoln
Shelves: life, spirituality
"Most gulls don't bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight--how to get from shore to food and back again," writes author Richard Bach in this allegory about a unique bird named Jonathan Livingston Seagull. "For most gulls it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight."

Flight is indeed the metaphor that makes the story soar. Ultimately this is a fable about the importance of seeking a higher purpose in life, even if yo
Benjamin
Aug 21, 2008 Benjamin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this. Go look at a seagull and think about life on your own if you must. What you come up with will be better than this.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
You know, sometimes you should just leave fond childhood memories alone.

description

But I have a hard time resisting any kind of (reading) challenge, so when Karly threw it down yesterday (see the thread to this review for her very funny and half-hearted trolling efforts), I felt compelled to go dig out my old copy of Jonathan Livingston Seagull--and it did take some digging--to see if I could justify my then-three-star review.

Unfortunately, I can't.

description

This flimsy and fluffy little book was a massive best-sell
Jonathan
The dismissive review of this text: What an absolute waist* of time! I mean OMG how bad is this!

The intellectual review of this text: Well, um, I do believe that, um, this is positively remarkable. With only 87 pages Mr Bach produces a fable of such monumental importance to all humanity. He discusses the idea of alienation, provides a subtle sense of xenophobia and highlights the hamartia of humanity.

The unsure student's review of this text: I think it was, like, sort of good. I mean I like the
Ruth
Mar 05, 2009 Ruth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: total-crap
Puerile platitudes posing as wisdom.
anne
Dec 02, 2008 anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens and Teens in small towns
Recommended to anne by: Matt Young
ok, like I just wrote in a comment . . . this is probably one of those books that you have to read at a particular moment in your life.

for me I was 15, had just run away from home and was in utter despair that the entire world was as mean, strict and narrow-minded as my peers seemed to be at that time. I longed for a friend, I longed for a sense of the world being more than what was drowning me.

the friend who put this book in my hands also gave me Blind Melon's first album - and together these
Afshar
Jun 04, 2015 Afshar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
چرا دشوارترین کار در جهان این است که پرنده ای را متقاعد کنی،آزاد است؟

این کتاب اول از شناخت خویشتن و مطابق آن زندگی کردن و نه بخاطر نان زندگی کردن می گوید

اغلب مرغان رنج آموختن پرواز را در حدی فراتر از یادگیری ساده ترین حقایق به خود هموار نمی کنند
می اموزند که چگونه از ساحل به سوی غذا پرواز کنند و چگونه بازگردند
برای بسیاری از مرغان تنها خوردن غذا مهم است و پرواز اهمیتی ندارد

در ادامه ریچارد باخ یه جورایی میخاد بگه که انسان توانایی انجام هرکاری رو داره،اگه بتواند عدم محدودیتش را باور کند

آنچه که دیدگ
J.G. Keely
This book is a response to the flawed and disappointing underbelly of humanity, revealed for author Bach in Vietnam, the Kennedy assassination, the battles for Civil Rights and Feminism, and the Sexual Revolution. Unfortunately, it is not a work which embraces or explores those changes, but seeks an escape from the difficult questions of the world.

Perhaps it should be unsurprising that the author would want to escape the everyday anxieties which mark the changing world. There is a sort of blind
Kim
Mar 28, 2007 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: favorites
I don't even know what to say about this book. One of my favorite books ever. It's very short and extremely easy to read. Great for children, even better for adults. JLS is my hero, pretty much.

Our copy of this book no longer resembles a book so much as a stack of papers.
W.C.
Aug 18, 2007 W.C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for this book. Throughout early Christianity, and especially in the second and third centuries, it was commonly believed that Jesus was just a really exceptional guy that God "adopted" and put to use as a redeemer of sins. Even after the Mark and Q Gospels were written and the circumstances of Jesus's birth were decided, the vote at Nicea was pretty slim that made Jesus the only begotten of the Father. Well, here's a book that goes back to the roots; any gull with a mind of his own ...more
Cecily
May 16, 2010 Cecily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overrated
This reminds me of Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist (the only one of his I've read). It's self-consciously "beautiful" and spiritual, but doesn't really have much depth. I enjoyed it in my late teens, when I had delusions of profundity, but I don't think it has much to impart to adults.

It has 2* for nostalgia. If I read it now, I expect I'd only give it 1*.

Fatima kiyan
Jan 15, 2016 Fatima kiyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
شیفته ی این کتاب شدم , خیلی ساده و کوتاه با داستانی شیرین و نمادین شاید حرف هایی رو زد که قرن ها پیش پیامبران سعی میکردند به مردم دوره ی خودشون یاد بدن , نماد زیبایی از تمام وجود های اوج گرفته و سیراب نشده اما رشد کرده ای بود که همچنان هم در حال رشدند و به دور از محدودیت هایی که جامعه هاشون براشون در نظر میگیره , پرواز میکنن و پرواز رو هم به عشاقش یاد میدن , بدون هیچ ادعایی بدون پذیرش اینکه چیزی و یا قدرتی شبیه به خدا دارند ...همه ی وجود ها فراتر از جسمند اما درگیر این جسم هستند و فقط تحمل دیدن ...more
Sonia Gomes
Jan 23, 2010 Sonia Gomes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cannot think who
I am so glad, I got to know how other people feel about Jonathan Livingstone Seagull.
All these years I was under the impression that some great philosophy and inner meaning had flown past my head, I was one of the very few who had missed it all.
Seems I was right, there is no great philosophy. Phew ! I am not a dumb idiot after all.
Janice
Jan 05, 2009 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to see further by flying higher
Recommended to Janice by: The Love of My Life
Shelves: religion
Ethan just finished reading this book to the kids, and I had to update my rating from a three to a four. I guess this book just meant more to me right now than it did when I read it in the past. And I think the fact that it is one of Ethan's favorite books and he read it with so much adoration kind of helped it to grow on me. I feel like there is so much going on in both our lives that is exciting, but that personally I have become a little stagnant with where I am going. It is like I have becom ...more
Henry Avila
Ode to the Paper Book: Holding a paper book in yours hands,smelling it ,feeling the pages as you flip them.Touching the cover.Looking back as you pass the bookshelf at an old friend.No, a computer can never replace that!A machine, cold ,impersonal,dead!As long as there are people in this crazy world of ours , the paper book shall survive!-Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a different kind of bird.He would rather fly as high as possible,than catch a fish.Recklessly diving,for fun, he cheats death ma ...more
Sara Alaee
جاناتان مرغِ دریایی، داستان پرواز است و رهایی، پریدن و دل بریدن، اوج گرفتن و رسیدن به معنا.
یک مرغ دریایی به نام جاناتان برخلاف مرغان دیگر که پرواز را تنها وسیله ای برای زندگی و به دست آوردن غذا می دانند و به حداقل آن چه می توان داشت قانعند، دوست دارد شوق پرواز را تجربه کند؛ شوق رسیدن به کمال نامحدود... پرواز در ذات بال های اوست. او آنقدر تلاش می کند تا سرانجام راز پنهان را می یابد. چشم هایش زیبایی و عشق حقیقی را می بیند. او به یک مرغ دریایی کامل تبدیل می شود و سرانجام آن قدر درخشان و نورانی می
Mahsa Tahmasebi
Jun 23, 2016 Mahsa Tahmasebi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
اول چندتا جمله از کتاب رو مینویسم.

برای اغلب مرغان دریایی پرواز اهمیت ندارد، خوردن مهم است.اما برای این یکی خوردن اهمیتی نداشت، پرواز مهم بودجاناتان بیش از هرکار دیگری ، عاشق پرواز بود.اوفهمیده بود این طرز فکر باعث محبوبیت نزد مرغان دیگر نیست.

اکنون زندگی مفهومی به جز تقلای یکنواخت درپشت وجلوی قایق ها خواهد داشت. ما میتوانیم خود را از جهل بیرون بکشیم، میتوانیم خودراموجوداتی دارای فضیلت، هوشمندی و مهارت بدانیم. می توانیم آزاد باشیم! می توانیم پرواز یادبگیریم.

"خب از اینجا به بعد چه میشود؟ ماکجامیروی
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

This book is EVERYTHING I LOATHE about children's fables. I'll write a better review later because right now I'm itching to punch Bach!

****Review****

Once upon a time there was a seagull and all he wanted to do was fly - fast, high, rolling dives.....

Don't bother me, I just want to FLY, B*tches

Okay... whatever.... you want to fly, birdy, I get it! However, you also NEED to eat, you know, to survive and all!! The flock steps in on JLS and tells him he needs to stop fluttering about like an idiot a
Jeff
Jan 16, 2014 Jeff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a lad, I had to endure my hippie science teacher's self-narrated slide show of the entire book. It beat listening to a lecture about photosynthesis, but not by much.
valee
Jul 25, 2010 valee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one. This is a fast, easy read. A wonderful lesson to learn about friendship, freedom and the value of things that really matter.
In it you'll follow Jonathan's travel around the world and see everything through his eyes. I know it seems you could not learn anything from a seagull, but you really do. This is a wonderful tale. I really do recommend it, specially while you're at holidays.
شبگیر
خیلی رو بود. بعضی جملات جالب بود. ولی داستان خاصی نداشت.
من ترجمه "سیده مبینا شاهری" رو خوندم. جالب بود تو مقدمه از خودش تعریف کرده بو. البته ترجمه بد نبود.

.آنچه را چشم هاست به تو نشان می دهند، باور نکن! تنها چیزی که آن ها نشان می دهند محدودیت است. با آگاهی ات نگاه کن.
Michael
Jul 04, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dreamy teenagers or anyone else who wonders a lot
I read this originally when I was about 11 years old I think. I had never read anything like it.

I enjoyed the simplicity, and I think I identified with Jonathan more than a little—even at 11.

As I think about this book almost 30 years later, I wish that I hadn't sold my copy of it, as I have an urge to re-read it and refresh my memory of Jonathan's struggles to break through.

July 2, 2009:

Just re-read this for the first time in many years. "Let's begin with level flight." So much truth in that s
Sheree
Jan 25, 2009 Sheree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheree by: Mum
A timeless inspirational story (published in 1970) about Johnathan Livingston Seagull, a seagull bored with the limitations of 'seagull life'. What sets this book apart is its simplicity in conveying thoughts on life and what the reader takes away depends on their personal perception. Motivation to seek a higher purpose, follow your dreams and not be held back by conventional limitations.
Viraj
May 18, 2008 Viraj rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a few
Recommended to Viraj by: Swanand
Shelves: god-religion-etc
I was told that everyone who reads this book, find something different in it and it is an eye opener and what not. I found nothing great in this book. It is a simple story which could be an analogy at best. Look in old Marathi or other language literature for good analogies which are better eye openers or help thought process...

Here is what I wrote immediately after reading the book.
The best thing about this book is that it gets over quickly as it is pretty small and of the 127 pages, about 27
Sofia
Apr 30, 2016 Sofia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Γνώριζε καλά από πείρα πως δεν ήταν φτερά και κόκαλο,αλλά μια τέλεια ιδέα ελευθερίας και πτήσης,που τίποτε στον κόσμο δεν μπορούσε να περιορίσει"
Τέσσερα αστέρια για αυτή την φράση και για πολλές άλλες που συναντάς σ'αυτή την ιστορία.Προσωπικά αγάπησα τον Γλάρο όσο τον Μικρό Πρίγκηπα και την Κότα που Ονείρευόταν να πετάξει.
Κάθε βιβλίο που σε παρακινεί να ξεπεράσεις τον εαυτό σου και να κυνηγήσεις αυτό που πραγματικά είσαι,αξίζει μία θεση στην καρδιά μας και την βιβλιοθήκη μας.
Sercan Vatansever
Birkaç gün önce okumuştum. Bugün de sesli kitabını dinleyerek okudum. Aynı şeyi birkaç gün sonra tekrar yapabilirim.

'en doğru yasa bizi özgürlüğe götürecek olandır'
Bethany
Oct 27, 2007 Bethany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where do I begin? The positives? It has a good, albeit somewhat patronizing message about thinking outside the box and reaching for your dreams. Also, it was very short. There. That said, I must say that I just don't get the hype. I found the story simplistic and uninspiring- just a bunch of 70's, new-age psycho-babble... and don't even get me started on the Neil Diamond movie (pretty pictures... that's all it was). AARRRGGGHHH! Fingernails on the chalkboard. I wish I liked it more as a good fri ...more
Classical book 4 46 Mar 08, 2016 09:27AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach 3 25 Jul 02, 2015 06:28AM
i read this four times... and twice of its sequel 32 337 Mar 10, 2015 02:35AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach 2 11 Feb 19, 2015 05:35AM
The new part 4 1 25 Jan 15, 2015 01:49AM
  • The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet
  • Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior
  • The Prophet
  • درخت زیبای من
  • The Secret of Shambhala: In Search of the Eleventh Insight (Celestine Prophecy, #3)
  • L'amico ritrovato
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • Monsieur Malaussene (Malaussène, #4)
  • Elianto
  • Animal-Speak: The Spiritual and Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small

Since Jonathan Livingston Seagull - which dominated the #1 spot on the New York Times Bestseller List for two consecutive years - Richard Bach has touched millions of people through his humor, wisdom and insight.

With over 60 million copies of his books sold, Richard Bach remains one of the world's most beloved authors. A former USAF fighter pilot, Air Force captain and latter-day barnstorm
More about Richard Bach...

“Don’t believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding. Find out what you already know and you will see the way to fly.” 665 likes
“You have the freedom to be yourself, your true self, here and now, and nothing can stand in your way".” 265 likes