Start by marking “Christopher Mouse: The Tale of a Small Traveller” as Want to Read:
Christopher Mouse: The Tale of a Small Traveller

Christopher Mouse: The Tale of a Small Traveller

Features a brave small mouse which embarks on a perilous journey.
Published December 1st 2004 by Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Christopher Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christopher Mouse

Erin
Jan 24, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as part of the Battle of the Books competition for this year. I found it entirely charming. I am impressed with the writing style and language William Wise uses here. He gives a lot of credit to his young readers and what they are capable of reading and understanding. I like that this story doesn't condescend to them in any way, and gives them great opportunities to expand their vocabulary. When I read this, I was surprised to see that it was first published only a decade ago. I ...more
Timberley Mouat
May 27, 2010 Timberley Mouat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like adventur,and poems if you say yes then this book is right for you.This book has both of those.

It started out when a mother mouse with about 5 babies.And the mother mouse has a owner.The owner has a job where she has to take the babie mice and take them away from there mother,and cell them ethier a pet shop or a miedical labortory.
Shelley
Mar 27, 2009 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book for reading aloud. Lots of new vocabulary and a sweet story. My boys (5, 6 & 8) would have probably liked a little more action, but they got a kick out of trying to guess what would happen next and they loved the ending.
H.R.H. Carpathia
This was cute. Reminded me of the good old 80s and 90s cartoons.
Arianna Kraljic
Mar 27, 2016 Arianna Kraljic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In William Wise's Christopher Mouse, he tells of an imaginary mouse who goes through many adventures that are fascinating and scarring. William Wise gives Christopher the curious personality and does a good job doing that. Christopher is a smart mouse, but he always remembered that his mother told him to be careful so that he would not end up in a jam jar like his uncle did. Christopher on his adventures tried always to think of what his mother would want him to do and how she would want him to ...more
Chazzi
May 07, 2015 Chazzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Another book for my Juvenile shelf.

Christopher Mouse is just a regular white mouse to the average eye. His life and the paths it goes down are not.

Born in a wire cage to a caring mother, he is educated by her and by her teaching her children to read the newsprint that lines their cage floor. Though both sources Christopher acquires quite a store of knowledge of things happening in life. He is also a budding poet and finds ideas for his original poems.

These particular mice are raised for possib
Joel Simon
Oct 01, 2009 Joel Simon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joel by: Olivia
Shelves: fiction, children
Christopher Mouse is a great, wholesome story. It is the story of a kind, white mouse as he gets sold to a pet shop, and then passes through a series of owners, good and bad. Along the way, Christopher experiences a lot of different emotions and learns a lot about life, all in a few weeks! One of my favorite sections in the book is the banter between a hamster and a parrot in the pet shop. The parrot used to live with an owner who was an amateur poet. The hamster, who has very high standards for ...more
Jackie
Christopher Mouse begins life in the house of Mrs. Crimmins. He and his three brothers and one sister are lovingly cared for by their mother. Eventually, though, his mother tells him Mrs. Crimmins will sell them to one of two places: a pet shop or the dreaded animal testing laboratory. Christopher and Anna, his sister long to move together to a family which treats them with kindness and compassion. Eventually Anna and Christopher are sold to a pet shop, but Anna leaves with a little girl and Chr ...more
Melanie
Oct 23, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nov 17, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mice are smarter than we think. Christopher mouse is raised in a home where mice are sold to both pet stores and the dreaded laboratory. Christopher has a special bond with his sister who ends up at a pet store with him. But, they are soon separated and Christopher finds himself in a terrible situation. He must manage on his own and find an owner who will care for him properly.

This is a fantasy story that would please the youngest chapter book readers. This book won a California Young Reader Med
Erin
Jan 02, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this aloud with my 4th grade daughter in preparation for the school's "Battle of the Books". My first reaction is that it is a little boring, not much action at all. After reading other people's reviews, I would agree that it is a wholesome(not so common these days)book, filled with rich, beautiful vocabulary and a happy ending.

I am not so sure children would be attracted this type of book with all of those fast-paced fantasy books out there, but it is worthy of reading, especially after
Cathy
May 02, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: Battle of the Books 2016
Though his life begins "in a commonplace way," Christopher Mouse is not the least bit common. Born in an ordinary wire cage, he endures various young owners who range from bad to worse before narrowly escaping death by taxidermy. His adventures continue in the Metropolitan Museum of Art as he encounters a large cat in the Egyptian room. Throughout his journeys, Christopher proves an adventurer of the most intrepid sort-and a budding poet as well. With the delightful feel of a lost (and found) cl ...more
Greta
Mar 09, 2011 Greta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
A cute little animal tale about a mouse's adventures from the nest to the pet shop and various owners. There's a bit of excitement as he escapes being sold to a "Youthful Taxidermist" who planned to kill and stuff him, his attempts to survive in the Metropolitan Museum on his own and finally his happily-ever-after life with the best family of them all. The story was written in the first person and in a language that didn't spare advanced vocabulary and complex sentence structure just because it' ...more
Jim Erekson
Jan 12, 2015 Jim Erekson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
This charming read-aloud was required for Pearl's Battle of the Books list, and we read it aloud in the car on the way to and from skiing this weekend. It was a nice car book, and maybe we should have tried audio!
Wise played with Dickensian themes of loss and abandonment (as in so many other animal fantasy novels), but he didn't do the usual fixup at the end, instead leaving it to our imaginations! I liked that restraint, similar to what Lowry did at the end of The Giver.
This was Emma's foot-of-bed Christmas book. She inhaled it, loved it, and suggested it to me. I'd just finished Twilight and needed something positive and uplifting. This one has won many awards. I thought it was sweet, but a little shallow and lacking creativity. The language was rich and watching Christopher's poetry skills develop throughout the book was intriguing. I'd suggest it for a 7-8 year old reader.
Kellie
I was a bit concerned in the beginning when it was mentioned about the mice going to the "medical laboratory", but once past that part I was caught up in Christopher's story and his adventures.

Not quite as charming as The Tale of Despereaux, but a fun, light, enjoyable story just the same. A good one to pass an hour on a weekend afternoon.
Sarah Judd
LOVED THIS BOOK!
I read this book when I was a lot younger, I picked it up from a travelling book fair on a whim. I was not disappointed! The characters are interesting and even thought most are not human you really feel for them, especially Christopher himself.
The writing and story itself is great, Christopher's adventures are exciting and the writing is fast paced.
Kristy McRae
Dec 28, 2013 Kristy McRae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet middle-grade story about a mouse's adventures, from being kidnapped as a baby & taken to a pet store, to being the pet of a couple different children, and even being on his own for a brief period of time...as told from Christopher's point of view. A cute, fun story, with a happy ending!
Kristin
A short, heartwarming story that reminded me a lot of Stuart Little and The Mouse and the Motorcycle. I like stories that have that old-fashioned feel to them around the holidays. Other than the ending which seemed to be a bit of a stretch, the rest of the book had some delightful ups and downs with real emotion. Fun!
Miss Amanda
gr 2-4 152 pgs

Mice, fantasy. Christopher Mouse just wants a nice home and to stay together with his sister Anna. Instead, he is sold to a nice, little boy who is tricked into giving him away. His new owner is anything but nice and despite the dangers Christopher decides to escape. Will he ever find a home?

Cute story!
Kelsey
Jul 25, 2013 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9
Adventurous,brilliant,funny. It also teaches an very important lesson about: true friendship,loyalty, and how to keep your cool when you must face tough challenges. In all, definitely a five-star book!!!
Heidi
Mar 28, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventures
Do you like small furry pets? If you do, you'll like Christopher Mouse, the story of a white mouse who knows very little of the wide world, but is always hopeful of finding just the right owner where he can be happy. Unfortunately, he has to go through a lot of scary experiences first!
Melissa
Jul 30, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a charming book. I'm not sure why it isn't better known. I read it to my five-year-old and he loved it. The vocabulary is very rich but my son was able to follow it well. Recommended to upper elementary readers, but younger as a read-aloud.
Michelle
Apr 07, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that was on Mel's list for her Battle of the Books. We read it together. She and I enjoyed it. I would recommend this to a friend
Jean-Marie
Sep 22, 2012 Jean-Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter_book
3rd grader read this for a book club and rated it 4 out of 5 stars. Not her favorite book but a good read. :-)
Nana
Mar 10, 2016 Nana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventures, fiction
This book is about a very adventurous mouse, who has amazing travels to places he never dreamed he would go.
Pamela
Jul 16, 2009 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, gentle story which I will use for my young book discussion club -7-9 year olds.
Matt Norvell
A good read. Novel study with my fourth graders.
Annabelle
Jun 25, 2008 Annabelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book from the eyes of a mouse!!!!!!!!!! Named Christopher!!!!!!!
Caren

• The Sword in the Tree
  • Roxie and the Hooligans
  • The Tarantula in My Purse: and 172 Other Wild Pets
  • Edison’s Gold
  • Aliens Are Coming!: The True Account of the 1938 War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Teacher's Pet (Puppy Patrol, #1)
  • The Broccoli Tapes
  • Lucky Stars
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Tales from the Odyssey #1-3)
  • Wishes, Kisses, and Pigs
  • Worth
  • The Kite Fighters
  • Lavender's Blue
  • Frozen Stiff
  • The Enormous Egg
A prolific author of both fiction and nonfiction, William Wise has been writing books for children for nearly half a century. His work includes straight nonfiction books and whimsical titles on mythical monsters, as well as rhyming picture books for the very young. Among his many children's titles are the rambunctious Ten Sly Piranhas: A Counting Story in Reverse (a Tale of Wickedness—and Worse!), ...more
More about William Wise...