Christopher Mouse: The Tale of a Small Traveller

Christopher Mouse: The Tale of a Small Traveller

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Features a brave small mouse which embarks on a perilous journey.
Published December 1st 2004 by Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books (first published 2004)

Timberley Mouat
Do you like adventur,and poems if you say yes then this book is right for you.This book has both of those.

It started out when a mother mouse with about 5 babies.And the mother mouse has a owner.The owner has a job where she has to take the babie mice and take them away from there mother,and cell them ethier a pet shop or a miedical labortory.
Shelley
This was a fun book for reading aloud. Lots of new vocabulary and a sweet story. My boys (5, 6 & 8) would have probably liked a little more action, but they got a kick out of trying to guess what would happen next and they loved the ending.
Joel Simon
Nov 15, 2009 Joel Simon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joel by: Olivia
Shelves: children, fiction
Christopher Mouse is a great, wholesome story. It is the story of a kind, white mouse as he gets sold to a pet shop, and then passes through a series of owners, good and bad. Along the way, Christopher experiences a lot of different emotions and learns a lot about life, all in a few weeks! One of my favorite sections in the book is the banter between a hamster and a parrot in the pet shop. The parrot used to live with an owner who was an amateur poet. The hamster, who has very high standards for...more
Jackie
Christopher Mouse begins life in the house of Mrs. Crimmins. He and his three brothers and one sister are lovingly cared for by their mother. Eventually, though, his mother tells him Mrs. Crimmins will sell them to one of two places: a pet shop or the dreaded animal testing laboratory. Christopher and Anna, his sister long to move together to a family which treats them with kindness and compassion. Eventually Anna and Christopher are sold to a pet shop, but Anna leaves with a little girl and Chr...more
Mice are smarter than we think. Christopher mouse is raised in a home where mice are sold to both pet stores and the dreaded laboratory. Christopher has a special bond with his sister who ends up at a pet store with him. But, they are soon separated and Christopher finds himself in a terrible situation. He must manage on his own and find an owner who will care for him properly.

This is a fantasy story that would please the youngest chapter book readers. This book won a California Young Reader Med...more
Tyler
I read this because my 9 year old said it was the best book he has ever read. It was ok, but it's clean and it's kind of a fun story for kids.
Erin
I read this aloud with my 4th grade daughter in preparation for the school's "Battle of the Books". My first reaction is that it is a little boring, not much action at all. After reading other people's reviews, I would agree that it is a wholesome(not so common these days)book, filled with rich, beautiful vocabulary and a happy ending.

I am not so sure children would be attracted this type of book with all of those fast-paced fantasy books out there, but it is worthy of reading, especially after...more
Matt Norvell
A good read. Novel study with my fourth graders.
Greta
A cute little animal tale about a mouse's adventures from the nest to the pet shop and various owners. There's a bit of excitement as he escapes being sold to a "Youthful Taxidermist" who planned to kill and stuff him, his attempts to survive in the Metropolitan Museum on his own and finally his happily-ever-after life with the best family of them all. The story was written in the first person and in a language that didn't spare advanced vocabulary and complex sentence structure just because it'...more
This was Emma's foot-of-bed Christmas book. She inhaled it, loved it, and suggested it to me. I'd just finished Twilight and needed something positive and uplifting. This one has won many awards. I thought it was sweet, but a little shallow and lacking creativity. The language was rich and watching Christopher's poetry skills develop throughout the book was intriguing. I'd suggest it for a 7-8 year old reader.
Kristy McRae
A very sweet middle-grade story about a mouse's adventures, from being kidnapped as a baby & taken to a pet store, to being the pet of a couple different children, and even being on his own for a brief period of time...as told from Christopher's point of view. A cute, fun story, with a happy ending!
Sarah Judd
LOVED THIS BOOK!
I read this book when I was a lot younger, I picked it up from a travelling book fair on a whim. I was not disappointed! The characters are interesting and even thought most are not human you really feel for them, especially Christopher himself.
The writing and story itself is great, Christopher's adventures are exciting and the writing is fast paced.
Kellie
I was a bit concerned in the beginning when it was mentioned about the mice going to the "medical laboratory", but once past that part I was caught up in Christopher's story and his adventures.

Not quite as charming as The Tale of Despereaux, but a fun, light, enjoyable story just the same. A good one to pass an hour on a weekend afternoon.
Melissa
Such a charming book. I'm not sure why it isn't better known. I read it to my five-year-old and he loved it. The vocabulary is very rich but my son was able to follow it well. Recommended to upper elementary readers, but younger as a read-aloud.
Amenah
One of my absolute favourite books as a child. I still treasure my copy, and sometimes, on a particularly bad day, I'll cuddle up with it in my duvet and escape once again into the wonderful big world of Christopher Mouse.
Kelsey
Adventurous,brilliant,funny. It also teaches an very important lesson about: true friendship,loyalty, and how to keep your cool when you must face tough challenges. In all, definitely a five-star book!!!
Kim ~*Nina*~
I love animals and this point of view from a mouse was so cute. He really shows to be an adventurous mouse.A really brave moouse and i think the title really fits the book.
Maggie
A nice little story about the life of a white mouse, with lots of problems and action. Good morals. Will be enjoyed by younger children.
Charity
Dec 28, 2007 Charity rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children Ages 9-12
Shelves: children-9-12
Cute story about a pet mouse and his various owners. Winner of the California Young Readers Medal 2007 award.
Jean-Marie
3rd grader read this for a book club and rated it 4 out of 5 stars. Not her favorite book but a good read. :-)
Theadora
Elfiegirl
Very good book! It ends kind of abruptly, and there's not really any plot to it, but it's so wonderful!
Erin (work)
I recommend this book all the time. A great read-aloud. In the tradition of Cricket in Time's Square.
Pamela
Sweet, gentle story which I will use for my young book discussion club -7-9 year olds.
Annabelle
A great book from the eyes of a mouse!!!!!!!!!! Named Christopher!!!!!!!
Kristie Stauffer
This is a cute little book. A fun book to read to young children.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A mouse tells the tale of his lives with various owners. Cute!
Gwen
A perfect sweet adventure.
Nona
loved it!!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
A prolific author of both fiction and nonfiction, William Wise has been writing books for children for nearly half a century. His work includes straight nonfiction books and whimsical titles on mythical monsters, as well as rhyming picture books for the very young. Among his many children's titles are the rambunctious Ten Sly Piranhas: A Counting Story in Reverse (a Tale of Wickedness—and Worse!),...more
More about William Wise...
Ten Sly Piranhas Zany Zoo Dinosaurs Forever Perfect Pancakes If You Please Nell of Branford Hall