Italian Country Cooking: The Secrets of Cucina Povera

Italian Country Cooking: The Secrets of Cucina Povera

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews

Italian Country Cooking is about the real food of Italy. It is about cucina povera, the name Italians give to traditional cooking, the kind that is more likely to be found in humble trattorias, homes and farmhouses than in fancy restaurants.

As cookbook author Loukie Werle explains, cucina povera has no adequate translation–it can mean “poor cook” or “country food”–but it t

Published December 31st 2008 by Metro Books

minervasowl
Although I spend quite a bit of time reading and daydreaming about France and Paris when it comes to food (especially cheese), wine, fashion, art, history and scenery, when I read a book like this, I think that Italy might be the way to go instead. Not that I haven't also long been a fan of Italian food, wine, fashion, history, art and scenery, but the daydreams are usually about Paris and France.

The first section of the book is devoted to pasta, probably my second favorite food after cheese, an...more
Herman
My favourite and most used Italian cook book. The recipes are simple, relatively easy to make, and work beautifully. The author clearly has a great knowledge and respect for Italian food.
Dianna
I tried several recipes from this book and all were quite serviceable.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jaimi
Jaimi marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Mekay
Mekay is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2014
Elaine Searle
Elaine Searle marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Amanda Pomeroy
Amanda Pomeroy marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Cheyanna
Cheyanna marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Gary
Gary is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2013
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Nm
Nm added it
Dec 15, 2012
Seth
Seth added it
Jul 27, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2012
Denise
Denise added it
Apr 28, 2012
Ingredients Trattoria Pasta Saffron, Garlic & Olives Australia's Big Cheap Cookbook The New Classic Cookbook