Start by marking “30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute” as Want to Read:

30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute (30-Second)

I Think Therefore I Am, Existentialism, Dialectical Materialism? The Socratic Method and Deconstruction? Sure, you know what they all mean. That is, you've certainly heard of them. But do you know enough about them to join a dinner party debate or dazzle the bar with your knowledge?

30-Second Philosophies takes a revolutionary approach to getting a grip on the 50 most sig

Published January 1st 2009 by Fall River Press

To ask other readers questions about 30-Second Philosophies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30-Second Philosophies

Emily May
takes me a bit more than 30 seconds for each one and there's no way i will remember everything unless i read it all over again twice.... but it was nice to revise a bit of philosophy and learn a couple of new concepts, the format is really nice
Doug Newdick
Aug 23, 2013 Doug Newdick rated it it was amazing
This has to be the single best introduction to the many different parts of philosophy that I have ever seen. These are single page introductions to all of the major philosophical positions that are clear, concise and yet convey the core of the idea in language that is simple enough for a lay-person to understand. If you are interested in what philosophy is about, but don't know where to start then this is the book for you. Others who have a grounding in philosophy will still find this an amusing ...more
Don
Jul 16, 2012 Don rated it it was ok
I need the full 60 seconds.
Greg Stoll
Mar 03, 2017 Greg Stoll rated it liked it
This was fine enough. Having one page per philosophy is neat and a good way to introduce a bunch of stuff at once, but it turns out I'm really just interested in the ethics-related topics.
Cate
This book is one of a collection of 30-second books. This doesn’t mean it takes you 30 seconds to read the entire thing, now that would be silly, it means it takes several schools of philosophy and gives a base explanation in nothing more than two pages per school. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it’s one of those books I like to have lying around to dip in and out of at will; however, on my first read through I did start at the beginning at go through to the end.

The book and its contents a
Helmut
May 03, 2013 Helmut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!
Wenn auch nicht ganz so böse wie Bruces' Philosophers Song aus The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus; All the Words, so ist in diesen kurzen Abschnitten über die wichtigsten Philosophien der Weltgeschichte doch auch immer ein Schuss Humor dabei, was die oft sehr abstrakten Themen auflockert. Doch selbst das hätte es kaum gebraucht - so kurz und knapp, wie die Thesen Heideggers, Kants, Poppers, Nietzsches, Platos, Descartes oder Russells h
Marcel
Oct 06, 2016 Marcel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Filosofie in 30 seconden. Dat klinkt als een contradictio in terminis, en dat is het bijna ook. Een beginner in de filosofie, waarvoor dit boek geschreven is, heeft zeker ná de 30 seconden leestijd nog wat luttele seconden nodig om de inhoud te bevatten. Die is (te) kort, bondig, en bevat daardoor lang niet een doorwrochte analyse van het gedachtegoed van de op die pagina behandelde filosoof.

Niettemin is het een aardig boek, zeker voor wie al eerder kennis heeft gemaakt met de behandelde ideeën
TheShrike
Nov 28, 2016 TheShrike rated it really liked it
I struggled a bit to rate this book. I was debating between 3 and 4 stars. Ultimately I gave it 4 because the book does indeed more-or-less do what it intended to set out so I need to give it that credit.
That said, it is unavoidable in this type of book, that there were certain topics that were very interesting and others a bit boring. I felt myself slogging through certain parts while others kept my attention.
Still, it does cover many of the most "important" concepts of philosophy and many subj
Ho Manh
Feb 05, 2017 Ho Manh rated it really liked it
The book provides a good introduction to all the greatest questions in modern philosophy: questions concerning the nature of consciousness, logical paradoxes, moral dilemmas, etc. Recommended for anyone who does not want to read too much philosophy but want to know the type of problems philosophers want to solve.
Mohammed Al-Garawi
Aug 26, 2013 Mohammed Al-Garawi rated it liked it
This is a rather interesting collection of famous and classic philosophical projects and ideas. The book is good for those who have read in philosophy, but digging deep in such a book without the right mindset won't take you anywhere.

The book is divided into seven chapters, covering various schools of thoughts and branches of philosophy such as language and logic, science and epistemology, mind and metaphysics, religion, and ethical and political society.

It's definitely a good reference for thos
Razvan Zamfirescu
Este singura "enciclopedie" de filosofie pe care o recomand. Cu siguranta singura de apreciat fata de toate celelalte care se gasesc acum in librarii.
Nu doar ca selecteaza foarte atent teoriile pe care le propune, dar da si un bun exemplu de gandire critica si, mai ales, ajunge cu trecerea in revista la filosofiile recente incluzand nume ca Putnam, Goodman, Gettier, Chalmers sau Fodor, nume pe care nu le intalneam in alte carti de introducere in filosofie si pe care nu cred ca astazi ar mai fi c
Jonathan
Oct 25, 2015 Jonathan rated it liked it
It is a little bit difficult to rate the book. On the one hand, it is a good informative book; you get to know a lot of different philosophers with their ideas. There is also the fact that the book is well done illustrated.
On the other hand, the text was very compact, it would have been nicer if it was told different and/or a little more extended.

After all: it's a good book for starting with filosofie; to get introduced to the basic.
Pavel Tugarinov
Feb 21, 2015 Pavel Tugarinov rated it it was ok
Исключительно для любителей англосаксонских умозаключений - метафизика была так давно, и это все неправда, континентальная философия тут показана как придурь европейских дурачков("Ничто - это то, что вы получаете, когда пытаетесь определить смысл произведений Хайдеггера"), да и вообще всю философия можно Бертраном Расселом мерить; иному читателю даже страшно станет - чтобы случилось с миром без американского прагматизма и британской аналитики?
Jake
Dec 30, 2011 Jake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like these books because they are a very simple, straight forward introduction to the subjects presented in an attractive format that is easy to follow.
It is also good for a refresher on the basics of the particular topic that each book covers, and 30 Second Philosophies is no exception.
I do question however, using a full page for their illustrations that sometimes aren't helpful. But it is hardly a reason not to like this book!
Codfather
Jan 16, 2013 Codfather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Hmm - this wasn't really for me. I didn't like the layout and idea of the book - but I pushed on as far as I could until I take it no more ;-)

Nigel Warburtons books are a far better bet to get some good information on Philosophy in my humble opinion.

It's not a bad book , I just didn't enjoy it.
Val
Oct 07, 2014 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm not sure this book will help you join in discussions at dinner parties or dazzle people in the pub, but the book does what it claims otherwise. It explains the major philosophical concepts and the language terms used in such an understable way that you will know what people are talking about when they discuss them (if you have dinner parties or drinks with people who do).
Graham Proud
Feb 08, 2014 Graham Proud rated it really liked it
Very worthwhile as a launching pad to a wide range of important topics. My favourite quote is from • Socrates: “The unexamined life is not worth living.”

I read this concurrently with 30-Second Psychology, so I have to ask, how on earth can we even start basic philosophy unless undergirded first by robust psychology?
Gavin
Nov 06, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: friend-recs
A great introduction of philosophical concepts, especially for someone with close to zero prior exposure. I made sure to only read about one per day to give time to let the ideas and implications sink in. The 3-minute follow-up thought section on each page was great for this. I found the accompanying metaphorical images to be rather unnecessary filler though.
Jayden O'Hare
Sep 25, 2014 Jayden O'Hare rated it it was amazing
If you ever want to know the basic ideas of inspirational and revolutionary philosophers, this book is the tool for you! clearly and easily explained by the author, anyone can pick this book up and understand a good 90% of the philosophies discussed.
Eva Ziaka
Nov 07, 2011 Eva Ziaka rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Withing a few words gives some crucial hints on the basic theory of each philosopher. Though, I think it would be more comprehensive with a little bit more analysis in each theory.
Erik
Jun 28, 2011 Erik rated it really liked it
This is a historical review of philosophy, rather than a guide to current thought. It's fun but ultimately left me frustrated and looking for a more thorough treatment.

Where is the 3-minute philosophies book?
John
May 27, 2016 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: didnt-finish
I was hoping for more general "30 second" overviews of different philosophical schools, but this text focuses more on particular case studies and theories. It's fine for what it is, but I wasn't terribly engaged.
Ahmad Gamal
Aug 16, 2014 Ahmad Gamal rated it liked it
Informative and interesting at times and complicated at others. I found some of these ideas to be very interesting specially the "Grand Moments" section and "Religion" section.

Might be a good book for beginners interested in philosophy.
Marc Dupuy
Aug 16, 2013 Marc Dupuy rated it really liked it
Résumer en 30 secondes les grandes théories philosophiques.. Apparemment difficile, mais ce livre y arrive superbement !
C'est vrai que c'est une initiation plus qu'une explication, mais cela permet de se remettre à la philo, sans se casser la tête ! :)
Pip
May 28, 2016 Pip rated it it was amazing
This book has a serious intent, explaining the ideas of important philosophers as succinctly as possible, but it is done in such a lighthearted way as to make the book an amusement rather than the puzzling slog most philosophical publications turn out to be.
Saafir Evada
I very much enjoyed this book. It covered all the high points that I learned in my philosophy classes at University. The descriptions of the ideas are accurate and well-written. The book is also beautifully published.
Nico Macdonald
Found in Tate Britain bookshop. Beautifully designed and produced.
Ben Holmes
Nov 25, 2014 Ben Holmes rated it it was ok
Meh
Michael
Jun 04, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: thought-religion
Not too shabby for a VERY brief introduction to some of the Big Questions.
Michael Head
Sep 17, 2012 Michael Head rated it really liked it
Excellent quick reference guide.
  • 30-Second Theories: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Theories in Science, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Psychology: The 50 Most Thought-Provoking Psychology Theories, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Economics
  • 30-Second Politics
  • 30-Second Religion (The 50 most thought-provoking religious beliefs each explained)
  • The Great Philosophers (From Socrates to Foucault)
  • The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
  • 30-Second Mythology: The 50 Most Important Greek and Roman Myths, Monsters, Heroes and Gods, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • The Web
  • ESSENTIALS OF PHILOSOPHY: The Basic Concepts of the World's Greatest Thinkers
  • The Big Questions: Philosophy
  • Political Emotions: Why Love Matters for Justice
  • Time Fall

30-Second (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • 30-Second Anatomy
  • 30-Second Ancient Egypt: The 50 Most Important Achievements of a Timeless Civilization, each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Architecture: The 50 Most Signicant Principles and Styles in Architecture, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Astronomy: The 50 Most Mindblowing Discoveries in Astronomy, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Brain: The 50 Most Mind-blowing Ideas in Neuroscience, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Economics
  • 30-Second Elements: The 50 Most Significant Elements, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Evolution
  • 30-Second Jazz: The 50 crucial concepts, styles and performers, each explained in half a minute (30 Second)
  • 30 Second Leonardo da Vinci: His 50 Greatest Ideas and Inventions, Each Explained in Half a Minute