30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  27 reviews

I Think Therefore I Am, Existentialism, Dialectical Materialism? The Socratic Method and Deconstruction? Sure, you know what they all mean. That is, you've certainly heard of them. But do you know enough about them to join a dinner party debate or dazzle the bar with your knowledge?

30-Second Philosophies takes a revolutionary approach to getting a grip on the 50 most sign

Published January 1st 2009 by Fall River Press

To ask other readers questions about 30-Second Philosophies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30-Second Philosophies

Don
I need the full 60 seconds.
Doug Newdick
This has to be the single best introduction to the many different parts of philosophy that I have ever seen. These are single page introductions to all of the major philosophical positions that are clear, concise and yet convey the core of the idea in language that is simple enough for a lay-person to understand. If you are interested in what philosophy is about, but don't know where to start then this is the book for you. Others who have a grounding in philosophy will still find this an amusing...more
Razvan Zamfirescu
Este singura "enciclopedie" de filosofie pe care o recomand. Cu siguranta singura de apreciat fata de toate celelalte care se gasesc acum in librarii.
Nu doar ca selecteaza foarte atent teoriile pe care le propune, dar da si un bun exemplu de gandire critica si, mai ales, ajunge cu trecerea in revista la filosofiile recente incluzand nume ca Putnam, Goodman, Gettier, Chalmers sau Fodor, nume pe care nu le intalneam in alte carti de introducere in filosofie si pe care nu cred ca astazi ar mai fi c...more
Cate
This book is one of a collection of 30-second books. This doesn’t mean it takes you 30 seconds to read the entire thing, now that would be silly, it means it takes several schools of philosophy and gives a base explanation in nothing more than two pages per school. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it’s one of those books I like to have lying around to dip in and out of at will; however, on my first read through I did start at the beginning at go through to the end.

The book and its contents a...more
Helmut
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!
Wenn auch nicht ganz so böse wie Bruces' Philosophers Song aus The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus; All the Words, so ist in diesen kurzen Abschnitten über die wichtigsten Philosophien der Weltgeschichte doch auch immer ein Schuss Humor dabei, was die oft sehr abstrakten Themen auflockert. Doch selbst das hätte es kaum gebraucht - so kurz und knapp, wie die Thesen Heideggers, Kants, Poppers, Nietzsches, Platos, Descartes oder Russells h...more
Ahmad
Informative and interesting at times and complicated at others. I found some of these ideas to be very interesting specially the "Grand Moments" section and "Religion" section.

Might be a good book for beginners interested in philosophy.
Kyle
While it's hard to criticize the scope of the book, I do think it leaves a lot to be desired in thoroughness. I understand that such elaboration would undermine the purpose of the book so perhaps I'm asking for the impossible here. Still, contributors might do better to add why individuals should care about a particular concept or problem. It's one thing to discuss a concept in brief, but quite another to explain why it's meaningful. And given that the probable audience for this book is a person...more
Mohammed Al-Garawi
This is a rather interesting collection of famous and classic philosophical projects and ideas. The book is good for those who have read in philosophy, but digging deep in such a book without the right mindset won't take you anywhere.

The book is divided into seven chapters, covering various schools of thoughts and branches of philosophy such as language and logic, science and epistemology, mind and metaphysics, religion, and ethical and political society.

It's definitely a good reference for thos...more
John Simms
A useful and accessible introduction to a raft of philosophical thought
Jake Foster
I really like these books because they are a very simple, straight forward introduction to the subjects presented in an attractive format that is easy to follow.
It is also good for a refresher on the basics of the particular topic that each book covers, and 30 Second Philosophies is no exception.
I do question however, using a full page for their illustrations that sometimes aren't helpful. But it is hardly a reason not to like this book!
Graham Proud
Very worthwhile as a launching pad to a wide range of important topics. My favourite quote is from • Socrates: “The unexamined life is not worth living.”

I read this concurrently with 30-Second Psychology, so I have to ask, how on earth can we even start basic philosophy unless undergirded first by robust psychology?
Marc Dupuy
Résumer en 30 secondes les grandes théories philosophiques.. Apparemment difficile, mais ce livre y arrive superbement !
C'est vrai que c'est une initiation plus qu'une explication, mais cela permet de se remettre à la philo, sans se casser la tête ! :)
Erik
This is a historical review of philosophy, rather than a guide to current thought. It's fun but ultimately left me frustrated and looking for a more thorough treatment.

Where is the 3-minute philosophies book?
Abi Saafir
I very much enjoyed this book. It covered all the high points that I learned in my philosophy classes at University. The descriptions of the ideas are accurate and well-written. The book is also beautifully published.
Eva Ziaka
Very interesting book. Withing a few words gives some crucial hints on the basic theory of each philosopher. Though, I think it would be more comprehensive with a little bit more analysis in each theory.
Shea
Found this book ditched on the side of the road. Opening it up and finding out if it deserved to be there.
Berkles
A solid easy introduction to basic philosophical problems. For: intro philosophers
Verena
A good and quick introduction to various philosophies with some humor thrown in.
Michael
Not too shabby for a VERY brief introduction to some of the Big Questions.
Eric
Actually more insightful and thought-provoking than I had expected.
Nico Macdonald
Found in Tate Britain bookshop. Beautifully designed and produced.
Dana Miranda
for purely personal reasons this is a wonderful book to me.
Colin
Pretty much everything I could have asked for from a book like this.
Courtney LeSueur
A good general summary of some high points of philosophy.
Alex
An excellent introductory text.
Michael Head
Excellent quick reference guide.
Ayman Elmasry
Ayman Elmasry marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
John
John added it
Aug 23, 2014
  • 30-Second Theories: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Theories in Science, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Psychology: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Psychology Theories, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
  • 50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • The Philosophy Gym: 25 Short Adventures in Thinking
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: The Other People in Norman Rockwell's America
  • Crossings (The Harry Reese Mysteries, #2)
  • 1,227 Quite Interesting Facts to Blow Your Socks Off
  • From Mangia to Murder
  • Under the Black  Ensign: A Pirate Adventure of Loot, Love and War on the Open Seas
  • The Philosophers Toolkit: A Compendium of Philosophical Concepts and Methods
  • Deceptive Cadence (The Virtuosic Spy, #1)
  • Brave Genius: A Scientist, a Philosopher, and Their Daring Adventures from the French Resistance to the Nobel Prize
  • Philosophy of Science: The Central Issues
  • Sweet Holy Motherfucking Everloving Delusional Bastard
  • Inception and Philosophy: Because It's Never Just a Dream
  • Firedrake (Dragonrealm, #1)
  • A Vision of Angels
3 minutes pour comprenre les 50 plus grandes théories philosophiques Nichts Leichter Als Das: Das Buch Von Coppenrath Für Alle, Die In Nur 150 Minuten Endlich Wissen Wollen, Wie Die Welt Denken Lernte ; Die 50 Wichtigsten Philosophien In Je Nur 3 Minuten Meaning In Mind: Fodor And His Critics Physicalism and Its Discontents Meaning, Mind, and Matter: Philosophical Essays