Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)

Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #2)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  1,822 ratings  ·  78 reviews
A Jedi ambush leaves the Sith ship Omen marooned on a remote alien world, its survivors at the mercy of their desolate surroundings and facing almost certain death. But Sith will no more bow before the whims of fate than they will yield to the weapons of their enemies. And Omen's cunning commander, Yaru Korsin, will let nothing keep him and his crew from returning to the s...more
Published November 9th 2009 by Random House Publishing Group (first published July 15th 2009)

Jeff
As a continuation of the Lost Tribe of the Sith series, Skyborn gives us a lot more detail on the world and philosophies of the local inhabitants. Since these books are very short, I don't have a lot of fodder to review, but I'll do my best.

Point one: They're short. That can be good or bad depending on what you like. It's a fast read that you can knock out in an hour if you're busy. Probably less.

Point two: It's an interesting world, and is growing increasingly more so by the page. While it does...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
I really do with these stories were a bit longer, because they really are interesting and I do want to know more but it's irritating to get to a really interesting part and suddenly it's done two paragraphs later. I did like this one more then the first in the series, Precipice, as I felt the writing was a bit better and now I can honestly say I like it. I just wish there were more to it then the 47% there is before it gives you a 'teaser' for the next one.
Shawn Fairweather
Miller seems to do much better work with Skyborn than Precipice. The story line was definately more coherent and easier to follow. It is hard to gauge however being that it is only about 20 pages long, but so far accompanied with #1 of the series, it is turning out to being more promising than I orginally anticipated. Some suspense is building as I now wonder what Korison is all about so I am definately looking forward on moving to the next novella.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The second part of a short story series, this tells of the encounter between the natives of a planet on which some Sith have crashed. Nothing special.
Cassie Hawkings
Half the time I didn't know what was going on. I'm not liking these Sith short stories. Sorry. 1 star.
Jeremiah Johnson
Not a bad story, but we'll have to see what the next stories bring for the series.
Ken
Skyborn is the follow up to Precipice and introduces us to the Keshiri, the native population of the planet Kesh that the Sith crash landed on in the previous short story.

The book takes the view of a Keshiri named Adari, a scholar amongst a race of primitive beings. She is branded as a heretic from teaching her people that the land they are living on came from the volcanoes instead of their great beings from above, the Skyborn. During a confrontation with the town chief a nearby mountain explode...more
Amy Victoria's girlfriend ❤
What I don’t like about these books is their form – as short stories – what I mean is, that reading them as one book wouldn’t work for me because I want to take it sequentially and therefore I’d have to stop at one point and star another book because the last two stories are after some other books, at least according the time-line. And reading them as separate books is also not the same because they’re too short to build up some atmosphere and suspense, not a very good one, though I admit that t...more
Jeremy Stephens
This is a blanket review for all of the Lost Tribe of the Sith stories (1-7 have been published as of this review) since there currently isn't any way to review them as a whole.

All in all, I found this to be one of the most enjoyable facets of the Star Wars universe I have come across in a long time. These books can sorta stand on their own as their own story as the reader could read these without knowing anything else about star wars and not have to worry about missing references or not unders...more
Leeanna
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith: Skyborn, by John Jackson Miller

"Skyborn" continues filling in the history of Kesh, an integral location to the new Fate of the Jedi series.

Five thousand years before the battle of Yavin, a ship of Sith crashed on the planet, seemingly falling out of the sky to the native Keshiri. With their Force powers, the Sith quickly fulfilled the local legends of the "Skyborn," and started taking over the Keshiri people.

This ebook starts out slowly, introducing readers t...more
AndrewP
The second 'book' in the series. I'm ashamed at the publishers for even calling this a book. It's just a short story on the front of the sample of another book.

It's better than the first one but still glad it was free. I see that you can buy the complete collection but if the samples are any indication it would not be worth it.
Ariel
Plot: This book really confused me at first. Being a sequel, I expected the original story to be continued right away. However the first half of the book is about a completely different person and her world. It wasn't until the stories merged that the ending of the first book made sense.

Characters: I like the main character in this one a lot better than the first one. Her character's point of view makes the story much better in this one than other other character's would.

Setting: The setting doe...more
Michael E. Colton
A good second story

Not as good as the first story but did provide a different view from the indigenous population.worthy of being a second of four.
Phillip Tomasso
I am making my way through the short stories that make up The Lost Tribe of the Sith. I will write a more comprehensive review once complete.
Yves
5000 après l'épisode 4, un vaisseau Sith s'écrase sur une planète inconnue. Cependant ce n'est pas parce qu'elle est inconnue qu'elle n'est pas habitée. Dans ce tome, on découvre les natifs de cette planète et leur culture. C'est aussi dans ce tome que les natifs feront la rencontre des Sith. Ceux-ci exploiteront les vieilles des Keshiris pour se faire passer pour des dieux.

Ce tome n'est pas mauvais. On a droit ici à un choc des cultures qui d'après moi tournera à l'avantage des Sith. Encore une...more
Kevis Hendrickson
I found myself enjoying 'Skyborn' just a hairline more than the first offering 'Precipice'. Sadly, there isn't enough going on in the story to grab me and I found myself just going through the motions waiting to reach the end. With that said, I am hopeful that this series will improve with each new addition and that John Jackson Miller will give readers the kind of quality storytelling that will make Star Wars fans lose their minds. Having previously heard Miller say that he has something specia...more
John
Not bad. Felt like a chapter, not a short story.
Cameron
Skyborn feels kind of like a crash course in Keshiri theology. The first half of it is only slightly more entertaining than a textbook on the subject would be. The second half is much more interesting, though. I could have done without a new main character; I like Korsin, and his absence in the first half of the story really hurts this entry.

I felt a little bad giving Precipice 2 stars, as it was very close to being worthy of 3 and only just missed the mark. However, I have no issue with giving...more
logankstewart
Skyborn continues The Lost Tribe of the Sith mini-series by introducing a new character and a new group of beings. We get to see Adari Vaal, a Keshiri heretic and widow to a fallen uvak-rider. We're told of Keshiri religion and the Skyborn, the tale that their saviors will come from the sky.

I enjoyed getting to see the connections taking place and the worldbuilding Miller has done. Bring on Paragon.
Avery Delany
I enjoyed this book a lot more than the previous one. The story is more understandable and not so busy with introducing a million different characters. I could also actually understand what the storyline *is* in this one, whereas in the previous book I had no idea what was going on half the time and it was like sorting through a jumbled mess. I found this book a lot more interesting and actually allowed me to get into the story.
Rob
Another easy read. At first I was slightly confused, then quickly realized that this short story was taking place concurrently with the events of the 1st one. This series is reminding me of the Tek War series by William Shatner, the writing is easy to read and while the imagination is used to fill in a few of the blanks, it's not as in depth as Asimov or Heinlein or even Timothy Zahn. An interesting story line so far.
Ash
I didn't get as drawn in with this story as I did with the first, but I do still enjoy the writing.

It's nice to get a bit of story with the Keshiri and how it pertains to this lost tribe of Sith. Even though I do know a good deal of this pre-Yavin era story, I am a relatively new Star Wars reader. Despite that, I wasn't lost at all.

Fredrick Danysh
The widow of a dragon rider is accued of being a witch. When she flees for her life she stumbles across a damaged space ship carrying the Skyborn who are beleived to be gods by her people. After leading the skyborn to her village and regaining status, she helps them adjust and to find the materials to repair the spaceship.
Gerold Whittaker
In book 1 of this series, the ship Omen crashed on a remote world after being ambushed by the Jedi.

In this, book 2, the locals believe in gods whom they call Skyborn and the surviving Sith exploit this belief to subjugate them.

A free ebook, downloaded through Kobo.
Joseph
I think this was shorter than the 1st one... The book was easier to understand, but again not sure what the point of these stories are. I almost feel like he could have waited until he had more to write and put them all together.

The book still doesn't feel Star Wars to me... No Jedi or Sith stuff going on.
Michael P
I love the star wars expanded universe so I am biased. this is a great little story that I popped out in an afternoon. I got them as a package on Amazon so it is real easy to read. they are drivers of hopefully a bigger story which will explain more about the Sith. I don't feel the movies did justice to that
Petra
I would say - you can add up all "The lost Tribe of the Sith" books to the length of a real book.
After every book (4 Chapter) is a sneakpeak for other StarWars Books, that is about 1/4 of the lenght of the tribe book. So I have the feeling these are mainly advertiser books for the other ones!
Much like the first book, this lacked ANY character development. Now I understand that its only about forty pages but that's not the point. A good story does not cram as much information into it as possible in as few pages as possible without paying attention to any of the characters.
Hari
Again, took less than an hour to read. More interesting than the last, owing to the intriguing main character. It looks like this series is a novel that has been hacked into many pieces. One could probably put all the entries as chapters in a 'Lost Tribe of the Sith' book.
  • The Hive (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #3)
  • Saboteur (Star Wars:  Darth Maul, #1)
  • Star Wars: A Forest Apart
  • Jedi Twilight (Star Wars: Coruscant Nights, #1)
  • A Practical Man (Star Wars: Boba Fett)
  • Siege (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #2)
  • Fatal Alliance (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #3)
  • Crosscurrent (Star Wars)
  • Ylesia (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14.5)
  • Fool's Bargain (Star Wars)
  • Annihilation (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #4)
  • Omen (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #2)
20028
John Jackson Miller has spent a lifetime immersed in the worlds of fantasy and science fiction. He's known for his Star Wars work, including Star Wars: Knight Errant, his national bestselling novel from Del Rey; Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, his e-book series with more than a million downloads; and his long-running Knights of the Old Republic comics series. His Overdraft: The Orion Offensive...more
More about John Jackson Miller...
Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1) Kenobi (Star Wars) Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3) Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4) Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)