Start by marking “Resistance The Gathering Storm” as Want to Read:
Resistance    The Gathering Storm

Resistance The Gathering Storm (Resistance Universe)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Great Britain. July 1951.

Three years ago, Russia went dark. Nothing got in. Nothing got out. The world assumed it was political strife. But it was the Chimera: voracious extraterrestrial invaders. And in December 1949, they burst across the Russian border and poured into Europe. The luckiest humans died. The less fortunate succumbed to an alien virus–and changed.
Within a
Published April 28th 2009 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Resistance The Gathering Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resistance The Gathering Storm

Fabian
I typically stay away from video game to book stuff. I never felt it passed well. However I am a big fan of alternate history. I read all of Harry Turtledove's World War II series and this one was just like that.

Alternate earth where ww2 never happens, the tzar beats the communists and and aliens attack in the 50's. The story falls between the PS3 Resistance 1 and 2 during the two year gap. 2 main side stories tell the tale of war against a highly advanced enemy.

Very well done. Nathan Hale was b
Dima Yakovenko
На удивление, отличная книга.
Очень понравилось манера автора, вводить много персонажей, таким образом, в книге около десяти героев и более того: нам дадут взглянуть на мир, даже глазами химеры. Дитц отлично передает атмосферу этой фантастической войны и безысходности, мир пал, война почти проиграна и это отлично осознаешь и чувствуешь, читая данную книгу. Что и говорить про отличных героев, которых очень и очень много. Стоит ли говорить про диалоги и описание сражений? Думаю, стоит. Они отличны
Ali Crabtree
I absolutely loved the Resistance games, and I was really excited to read this book. However, the book fell way short of my expectations. The author tends to be overly descriptive, causing the story to drag in numerous places, especially the meetings in the white house. Also, the way Nathan Hale is portrayed in the book conflicts with how he's portrayed in the games. He is a completely different person in the book than he was in the games. Finally, the games, while giving the player an alternate ...more
CP
I enjoy video games such as Halo, and I really don't pay that much attention to the story - I am there for the action. So it is kinda funny that I not only read a book based on a video game, but that it is also a game that I have never played. It ran a bit long for me in certain parts, but I enjoyed it overall, and it kept me interested until the end. This is definitely targeted to the gamers, because the author assumes you know what the different creatures look like and therefore doesn't spend ...more
Elvis
The book is about Luitenant Nathan Hale who is fighting against the chimera and the chimeran virus in him.The Chimera are a race of aliens that are attacking the Earth. The Americans are losing the war but the SRPA that house the sentinel: soldiers wit the chimeran virus in the and trained to combat the chimeran menace. I like this book because i played the games and it goes good with the story. The book is an of a video game series. I liked how the author added things to make the story more int ...more
Paige-lee
for the first action book i've read in a while it was packed with it. also great for people who haven't played the game it's based on as it gives good description of the characters. And from a person who hates reading politics The political side of things was quick, to the point and interesting.
Klajdi
This book was not as good as the other books I've read, but it's decent. One of the important characters, whose name is Hale, didn't seem all that interested in the war, and he acted like he did not want to be there. It made me think many things, one of them being "What is the whole point of signing up for a job if you are not going to do what you are assigned?" It can relate to school in a way. One reason that I rated it only 3 stars was because the book was mostly narration, and it did not foc ...more
John
Not a bad companion novel for the Resistance series, its quite interesting and has a few unexpected twists, my main gripe however is with the unnecessary otheruse of calling the Chimera by the lazy name of "stinks" when no such reference exists elsewhere in the series. The story itself tells the tale of Nathan Hale and a few other characters between the gap of Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2 and includes the tale of a political betrayal and the creation of Daedulus. People unfamiliar wi ...more
Relstuart
Picks up mid stream (or later) of the invasion as all events take place in the USA.
Dale Thomas
Pretty good novel. Good length, well written, engaging and fits well with the game series. My only criticism is the ridiculously decapitated ending. The last few pages are a whirlwind of trying to tie up a few loose ends and leave it open for a sequel. It was beyond rushed, it's like another 10,000 words were compressed into a few pages. And there were other loose ends that were not addressed at all. But apart from that, it was pretty enjoyable.
Teddy Brewer
While an enjoyable book that takes place in the Resistance universe, it left me unsatisfied with the ending. Most gaming books add to the universe and create more depth. This one gave the main character some depth, but outside of that it was just some side story that didn't really feel like it related to the main story line.
Mansour
Robert
Though Dietz is not the greatest writer, the Resistance setting is a fun one to spend a few hours, moving from adventure to adventure quickly enough that the reader never spends too much time thinking about some cliched set-pieces and uneven main character.
Keith
was alright, but there wasn't too much of a story. I never played the Plastation game so that might have been part of the problem, but stand alone it just kind of went from one encounter to another without much in between.
Bran82
if you read this book as a collection of short stories or episodes it's ok. To enjoy it more than I did you should really be into the video-game... overall it was ok but kind of repetitive.
Danny
I really liked this book but it's such a shame that it didn't tie in to the start of Resistance 2. The author had the perfect chance to do it but for whatever reason, didn't.
Terri Benavides
This was a good story but hard to imagine all the creatures. I did not realize this was based on a video game so not so interested unless I become familiar with the game.
Jen
The book was boring and didn't have much interesting stuff in it. The video games were much better than the book ever was. I thought the ending was very stupid.
Daniel Haight

It's not that bad of a book it was a little hard to get past a few parts. It didn't really go with the resistance series story flow. But still I enjoyed it
SUPER BRETT
Resistance was a book about Lieutenant Nathan Hale as he battle the alien enemy and the elements in the fight or struggle to take back North America
Michael Cheevers
It was pretty good, but it sometimes felt like it was written from the vernacular of a 12 year old.
Greg Lindsay
This was a great book, the only thing that I would have liked is more action scenes.
ZWiggs
A good book looking back to what happened before resistance 2.
☆Joycedale☆
Don't know anything about the game but I really enjoyed this book.
Adrian
The world of Restistance is a savage and brutal world, and I like it!
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
  • Crysis: Legion
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Dead Space
  • Aspho Fields (Gears of War, #1)
  • The Horizon (Arisen, #6)
  • Homefront: The Voice of Freedom
  • Halo: Fall of Reach - Covenant
  • The Darkness Compendium, Vol. 1
  • Endgame (Doom #4)
  • Reflexive Fire
  • Dragon Sim-13 (The Green Berets, #2)
William Corey Dietz grew up in the Seattle area, spent time with the Navy and Marine Corps as a corpsman, graduated from the University of Washington and worked as a surgical technician, college instructor, and news writer. Later he worked for US West in a number of different marketing communications and public relations related positions, before leaving to accept a job as Director of Public Relat ...more
More about William C. Dietz...
Halo: The Flood Legion of the Damned (Legion, #1) Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1) Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4) The Final Battle (Legion, #2)