Start by marking “Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror” as Want to Read:

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,270 ratings  ·  39 reviews
From the Publisher: This book takes a critical look at Stephen King's most iconic works and reads between the lines to uncover the personal influences and demons as reflected in each monster, epidemic, and depraved character. Unseen family photographs and 16 pieces of previously unpublished ephemera - such as handwritten manuscript notes, typed early drafts, lengthy journa...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Fall River Press

Be the first to ask a question about Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror

Becky
Jan 09, 2010 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephen King Fans
Knowing my love for King, you might be surprised to learn that I just found out about the existence of this book today. Despite the fact that I am a devoted King fan, and a member of the Stephen King Fan group here on GR, in which there was a thread about this book open since last October, I somehow managed to miss it.

But that was kind of fortuitous, as events worked out in such a way as for me to get this book 1/2 price. But even if I hadn't, it would still have been worth every penny.

This is...more
Christina
It's like stuff you could collect out of Stephen King's garbage and recycling if the restraining order didn't keep you at least 300 yards away!

It's a cliche, sure, but if you're a dorky stalker-fan such as myself (I mean, I've actually hung out in front of his Bangor home hoping for a glimpse of even a shadow on the curtain), you shouldn't be without this fascinating peek into sections of his life you've probably never seen.

Fun, fun, fun -- the paper artist in me just ate up the envelopes ful...more
Kandice
The text in this book didn't hold a lot of surprises, especially if you're a stalker fan like me, but the pictures alone are worth the price of the book. Throw in the eight glassine envelopes that hold copies of manuscripts, sketches, letters, news articles and pages in King's handwriting and you have a virtual gold mine of memorabilia.

I have three other books "about" King, Feast of Fear: Conversations With Stephen King, The Complete Stephen King Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Works o...more
Tobin Elliott
My only complaint...and it's a minor one, because Bev Vincent definitely did his homework here, is that I would have enjoyed an even deeper dive into the books. Why did King choose the characters he did? Why did he take the story in that particular direction? That sort of thing. But that's the writer in me asking for that stuff. All in all, an enjoyable read and an informative look into the mind of Stephen King.
Elizabeth Moore
A must-read for the King's fans.

I've always gotten a *chuckle* out of readers (I hope they're 'readers' and not just the General Public) who ask Stephen King such an inane question as "where do you get your ideas?" He has, over the years, freely shared from whence his ideas pour. I grimace when people assume writers who produce strange works must be strange -- not always so. I used to follow Stephen King, reading about him, and his writing, in addition to his works, until I pondered whether I wa...more
Jay Jessmer
I thoroughly enjoyed this glimpse into the mind and workings of one of the most gifted authors of our time. This book takes a look at the thought process and inspirations behind some of King's most popular novels.
After reading so many of these stories, it was fascinating to see the intricacies that went into the development of them. It was very interesting to me to realize how many stories were at one time started, only to be abandoned, and then revisited years later. The glimpses at so much o...more
Frank
Questo bel libro si rivolge sia agli appassionati di Stephen King sia più in generale agli scrittori in erba.

I primi potranno trovare un volume pieno di aneddoti e curiosità che riguardano il loro scrittore preferito; i secondi invece, troveranno spunti ed incentivazioni psicologiche per proseguire con spinta rinnovata verso il sogno della vita.

Il libro è strutturato in 14 capitoli, ciascuno dei quali presenta una parte descrittiva, un insieme di fotografie spesso inedite, diverse immagini di do...more
Jack
Nov 13, 2012 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans
For Stephen King fans and non-fans alike, a deeper look into the author and his life.

With a couple of exceptions, each chapter focuses on one of King's bestselling novels:
~The Shining
~The Green Mile
~Bag of Bones
~The Dark Tower series
~Lisey's Story

Also included are stories about other events that were going on at the times when these books were written and released. Insights are revealed concerning inspirations for the stories.

Several chapters includ...more
Patrick
Any Stephen King fan would love perusing this sort-of coffee table book featuring analysis of many of his books, biographical information, quotes from King, photos, and various other odds and ends. The section on the Shining was probably my favorite, he talks about realizing that writing about Jack Torrance was really writing about himself. The real draw here is the removable facsimiles of various documents from his history, including typewritten pages with handwritten corrections, his first "pu...more
Steff
This book was all sorts of marvelous. Not only is it full of interesting things about this brilliant author, but it also has little goodies for you to get your hands on. Copies of manuscripts of first drafts, handwritten editing, handwritten stories, you name it. It's almost as if you went digging through things you shouldn't have. There was plenty of things within this that I already knew, mainly from reading Stephen King's 'On Writing', but it was still very informative. The only thing I would...more
Craig
I don't believe that King participated in the compilation of this volume; there are numerous quotes, but all are marked with footnotes attributing them elsewhere, but it does compile an amazing amount of fascinating trivia, curiosities, and photographs. There are many cool little glassine pockets affixed every so often that contain reproductions of manuscripts in various stages of production, some early fanzine appearences, some early fan-club newsletter pages, correspondence, etc. All in all, a...more
Eijomio23
Excellent read! I love getting the behind-the-scenes stories on some of King's popular works, and the reprints of handwritten drafts and other miscellanea is a HUGE bonus for a life-long King fan such as myself. Now I want to go back and re-read all of my favorites all over again (Needful Things, It, Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Tommyknockers, Desperation, Under the Dome...). If there's any complaint it's an unfair one -- I wish the book was longer and went into the process behind the creation of...more
Cameron Kunzelman
THIS BOOK HAS SOME GREAT PICTURES
Samantha

CONCLUSIONI: A parte la libidine che ho provato nell'avere tra le mani le veline con riprodotti gli scritti originali del Re, è stato molto interessante conoscere i retroscena per ogni libro. Ne è valsa la pena! Un libro di straordinaria qualità! Avendo letto anche "On writing" ho notato che alcune notizie si ripetono ma sono poche e, a mio avviso, si completano.
PROMOSSO
Katherine Wade-easley
Great book - fun photos and a lot of great trivia about Mr. King and several of his famous tales - a great read for the Stephen King fan - or the Stephen King Curious....
Linds
The quotes in this book are mostly a rehash of On Writing, Stephen King's excellent memoir. What makes this book special is that it ties in the biographical details into the catalog of his works. The book has a lot of inserts of rough drafts complete with corrections. While they're interesting, it's annoying and gimmicky to take them out of the envelopes.
Todd
This is a GREAT book to have on the shelf even if your not a King Fan. I have enjoyed learning about his history and path to get where he is in his writing carreer. This book includes copies of manuscripts and other pieces of his history. I found this on the discount shelf at Barnes & Noble and am very happy I picked it up.
April (The Steadfast Reader)
This is really a coffee table book, but it's still enchanting. A must have for hard-core Stephen King fans. It features reproductions of pieces of copy edited manuscripts in folders that can be pulled out of each chapter. Rarely seen photos and insight on some of his most important novels up through 'Under the Dome'.
Mahduk
Good overview text with a couple of interesting tidbits. The real joy of this volume is in the photos. There are some real gems in that department. Highly recommended.
Jennifer Patrick
Wonderful! Tons of photos of the master of horror & every few pages a bonus surprise, like a facsimle of his highschool newspaper that he wrote for. I discovered many new bits of trivia and the story behind the story on many of his most known works. SK always has been and always be my favorite!
Colleen Martin
I love poring through this book...it's such a treasure trove of information on my favorite author and getting to see copies of early, unedited manuscripts and other tidbits from his career is thrilling. My favorite - the telegram announcing that Carrie had been picked up. I had goosebumps.
Kimberly
Jan 27, 2010 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephen King Fans
An extremely interesting book that gives insights to Stephen King's life and books. It includes many pictures as well as copies of notes, parts of manuscripts, drawings and much more. A great book for an Stephen King fan.
Roberta - ロバータ
Da avere!!!
La parte biografica non aggiunge molto di nuovo a ciò che lo stesso King ci ha raccontato negli anni. Ma le foto, i disegni e gli allegati rendono il libro imperdibile.
La filologa che è in me lo adora. :D
Barbara
Bel volume per appassionati, soprattutto per gli allegati che non sono reperibili altrove. L'aspetto tipografico non è il massimo e si trovano un bel po' di refusi. Forte sconto su Amazon
GONZA
informazioni sul re, raccolte dei suoi scritti, piccoli aneddoti rispetto alla scrittura di alcuni suoi capolavori. un must per gli amanti di King
Matt 2D
The biography/encyclopedia of everything and anything about Stephen King. From his childhood, to his latest novels, this book tells it all!
Bre
Cooool! I got it for Christmas. I knew most of the stuff inside already but the pictures and pull out manuscripts are neat.
Bonnie Von dollen
Very fun and informative. Lot's of pictures and descriptions of the inspiration for several books. I really enjoyed it.
Katie
Ma got it for Christmas from my sister so I browse through it when I visit. THIS THING IS SO COOL.
Stephen King Fans: The Stephen King Illustrated Companion 5 27 Mar 11, 2012 10:25AM
  • Stephen King: The Art of Darkness
  • Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
  • Bare Bones: Conversations on Terror with Stephen King
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #1
  • The Stand: American Nightmares
  • Stephen King's N.
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus The Dark Tower Companion: A Guide to Stephen King's Epic Fantasy The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly The Stephen King Illustrated Companion Twenty-First Century King