Start by marking “Impetuous” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  1,803 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Grade school teacher Carlie McDaniels trades in her frumpiness for the look of an exotic harem girl, at least for one costume party. So long, spinsterhood--and hello, tall, dark and handsome Tyler Ramsey....
Even after the best night of their lives, Tyler hasn't guessed the identity of his harem hottie...and Carlie plans on keeping him in the dark. After all, a gorgeous gu
ebook, Nook, 224 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Harlequin Famous Firsts Collection (first published June 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Impetuous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impetuous

♥ WishfulMiss ♥
This is Lori Foster, so of course I loved it!

When shy repressed Carlie shares a passionate night with Tyler, she knows it was a one time thing. Tyler was out of her league. Until he wasn't.

Tyler felt a strong physical connection with his mystery harem girl but when he starts spending time with Carlie, he finds himself connecting with her on a whole new level. But what will happen when he finds out his sultry harem girl and his prickly spinster-ish best friend are one and the same???

I'm a sucker
**2.5 stars**

Wow! It's been a long time since I've read about a heroine that was THIS messed up.

The description of the book explains it all: they sleep together one night without him knowing her identity and then she refuses to let the guy know it was her, even when they become friends. Even though he obviously enjoyed having sex with her and wants to find out who she is, she has all these ideas that the guy would be appalled if he knew because she's not "his type". It's not as if she's a crimin
This is a sweet romance about two people who have had plenty of heartache in their past finding their way to happiness. I really enjoyed this book. Carlie was a character I could definitely relate to. After a marriage gone wrong, she closes herself off to men, dressing in drab clothes that conceal her figure. Her self esteem has taken a beating and its hard for her to let people in. Tyler grew up with a mother who cared more about booty calls than raising her two sons. Once grown, he's achieved ...more
Jan 18, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm so conflicted about this book. On the one hand, I'm generally a fan of Lori Foster. I liked her spicier novel, Too Much Temptation, so I thought I might enjoy this one too.

Not so much. I liked the characters, but I just could NOT get past some of the language that was used, especially by the hero. Bosom, dalliance, impertinent, and especially frequently calling women "females". I mentally scoffed at one quote in particular by the hero: "How plump are you? How bountiful is your bottom?" Reall
Aug 28, 2012 Stevi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
WOW The cover for this one is OKAY at best but WOW what an amazing story line!!

I just love how deep you get in the two main characters Carlie is a shy once divorced women who one night at a Halloween party gives herself to her best friends brother- in-law while wearing a mask and he has NO Clue who it was who rocked his world and who he felt a strong connection with.

Tyler is a well off bachelor, who is played by women who went a way to get to the top.

Carlie is a school teacher who has been hurt
Dec 30, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Guys. I don't know if this is the normal price or if I should chalk this up to a New Year's miracle, but this book was only .86. EIGHTY-SIX CENTS. It's like I stepped into a Tardis and went back to 1962 and people are smoking pot in the parking lot and if the books are too expensive in 1962 I can jump back in that Tardis and go to 1902 or 1925 or 1933 and I'll somehow find a time where ALL books are .86 and it'll be awesome. DO YOU GUYS KNOW HOW MANY BOOKS I CAN BUY WITH $10 IF THEY'RE ALL ONLY ...more
Surprisingly entertaining even though it contains one of my least favorite device: hidden identity. If you suspend disbelief a bit, the interaction between Carlie and Tyler was charming and mostly believable. I though Foster handled Tyler's confusion over his feelings quite well. The back-and-forth went on a little too long, but I stil enjoyed the book more than I'd hoped.
Jan 20, 2011 Krista rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-challenge
I hated this book. Carlie is not redeemable as the female lead. I just wanted to shake her through the whole book--get over your frumpy clothes and cranky ass attitude!. Tyler, the male lead, kept me in the book, but really couldn't figure out why he cared.

I skipped over the sex and just finished the book because I started it.
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳

Loved this one. I need more Lori Foster in my life...
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Sep 17, 2014 Judy (Geeky Reading) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own

[Read more at my blog, Geeky Reading!]

This is very obviously an early book by Lori Foster. And I did not really enjoy it. I was glad when it was finally over.

The characterization is not good. Foster’s new books are stereotypical, sure, very formatted, each of her books extremely similar—but that’s what you’re looking for when you read one of her books (at least, I am). Her characters have good backstory, they’re relatable, they’re understandable. The characters in this book were not.

Liking the sexy cover and the great price (86 cents at Amazon), I couldn’t resist this purchase while later thinking “Oh no, not another “frumpy” heroine.” But to my surprise, I liked this book.

First, I admit Carlie did grate on my nerves (a little) at times, but she wasn’t over the top and I found myself liking this intelligent, funny, caring woman. Carlie McDaniels is an emotionally tortured heroine. She is all alone having no family who love her. Having been raised by a grandfather who did n
Mar 06, 2013 HÜLYA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bazı yaraların tedavisi uzun sürer...Veya bazı yarlar iyileşmez..
Bu hikaye için oldukça uygun bir söz....Oldukça düşündürücü bir hikaye idi...Yazarı ilk defa okuyorum kalemini sevdim..Kadın karakter Carlie bazen beni sinir etti..Ama onun durumundaki ruhu yaralı bir kadının yapacağı türden şeydi bu..
Evde kalmış kız kurusu görünümlü orta yaş öğretmenlerne benzeyen Carlie'nin bu görüntüsü düzmece idi..
Başından çok kötü bir evlilik tecrübesi geçirmiş olan Carlie'nin kadınlık özgüveni eski kocası tar
May 23, 2016 Kinga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 csillag

Aranyos kis romantikus jópofa szócsatákkal ötvözve a két főszereplő között, és még tanulságot is le lehet vonni belőle. Igaz, ami a történet elején történt, az nekem túl gyors volt, de végülis ebből indult ki a bonyodalom. A műfajhoz mérten szórakoztató olvasmány. ;)
Oct 26, 2015 Nela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't finish this book.

Generally I really enjoy Lori Foster's books, her unique characters, especially heroines, that are strong, yet mostly not bitchy.

Well, Carlie certainly made my head spin.

She was a bitch. Stick-up-her-ass, boring, judgemental bitch.

She judged the hero for almost everything he did and even some things he didn't do. I honestly don't understand what he saw in her.

I gave this book the rating of two stars thanks to the hero and some funny dialogs, that are trademark
Mar 26, 2015 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary romance with protected sex. This is LF's first published novel. It's obviously a Harlequin & written in 1996. This is a reread for me, but I didn't remember much about it.

I REALLY wanted to give this one at least 3 stars. I really loved the hero, Tyler. He's funny & a good guy. Generous & kind. He puts up with WAAAAAY too much when he gets involved with Carlie.

We're supposed to feel sorry for Carlie. An orphan, raised by an uncaring grandfather. She already had a low
This is Lori Forster's first book, originally published in 1996 and reissued in a new hot avatar in 2009 by Harlequin. I read this as a part of an event on Goodreads, where we were to read one book by Lori Foster in August. I don't know why I always end up (unknowingly) picking up the author's first/second attempt. This book had a new looking cover, and turns out.. it was old wine in new bottle!
May 29, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is a quick read that you would enjoy on vacation or to take along on you errends. Lori Foster knows how to creat characters that are real and believable.

This is a really great story of love and attraction that will make your heart beat a little faster, but will also have you wanting the characters to make things work between them.

Dec 31, 2014 Mandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This takes some serious suspension of belief. Tyler is right up there with the immensely moronic Lois Lane. Glasses on: Clark Kent. Glasses off: Superman. Glasses on: Clark Kent. Glasses off: Superman. *sigh*

So, Tyler screws a woman at a Halloween party. His mystery screw is none other than good girl school marm, Carlie. Of course, he has no idea that it’s Carlie because she’s wearing a wig and contacts. Uh huh. Right. Tyler starts falling for Carlie, but can’t get his Halloween lay out of
Maja Devic
I could not put down the book once I started. Carlie was a shy teacher who hid behind her clothes. Tyler was a lawyer who was her best friends brother-in-law. One night at a masquerade party she dresses completely out of her character, thanks to her best friend, and they have a wild night in which he never sees her face or finds out her name. Carlie and Tyler end up building a unique friendship and he never suspects that she is his mystery woman. But when their relationship starts to move forwar ...more
Mar 22, 2016 Drava rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 Stars - The synopsis is slightly misleading - Tyler's brother Jason is married to Carlie's best friend Brenda so Carlie and Tyler kind of know each other but they aren't best friends. Carlie does sleep with Tyler at a costume party but he can't find out who she is and she wants to keep it that way because of a horrible marriage and divorce. Carlie is a teacher and hides herself in frumpy, baggy clothing. Tyler fills in for Jason in helping Carlie with a elementary school program for troubled k ...more
Gina Briganti
Jul 11, 2015 Gina Briganti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harlequin novels from 1996 tended to have a lot in common with one another, but Lori Foster managed to set herself apart with her excellent character building and good writing flow.

Of many debut novels I've read, I thought hers was one of the best. I thought she backed up Carlie's hesitation to reveal herself to Tyler, and that she brought great heat to the story.

Tyler was a very likeable character, and I adored his relationship with his brother.

Impetuous was a lot of fun, and it put Lori Foste
Feb 22, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one. My first by this author. Even though Carlie completely frustrated me I thought it was believable. Some people are their own worst enemies, they get hurt, the walls go up and no matter what they can't seem to get out of their own way. That was Carlie in a nutshell. Tyler was what seemed like your typical playboy but was oh so much more. They grew a wonderful friendship that was fun, easy and genuine. I loved it. With a little help from their friends/family all was set right an ...more
Casse NaRome
I enjoyed this book even though it involved the plot I hate the most...Stupid pointless secret. I seriously didn’t see the point of this secret and once it got to a certain point anyone would say “hey man here is the deal and here is why.” But of course it snow balled out of control and she kept doing crazy things and blatant lies to cover. It got to the point were I could understand where he was coming from when it blew up.
Still he blew up to the extreme and I was like uh he has issues nobody
Dec 04, 2011 Karla rated it really liked it
Short, fun, kind of cute and in many ways real.
Carlie is shy, extremely so. One night she is tricked by her best friend into wearing a sexy costume at a party. In her shyness she runs away to hide when she notices Tyler, her best friend's brother in law notices her. Tyler finds her but he doesn't know who she really is as she is wearing a mask. They indulge in a night of passion, but the next morning the mystery girl is gone and his sister in law refuses to tell him who she is. Then Tyler takes
Anna's Herding Cats
Originally posted at Herding Cats & Burning Soup

Lori Foster is one of those authors that just makes me happy. Doesn't matter which of her books I'm reading. If they're her new books or one of her firsts (like this one). Mercenaries, fighters, preachers. Part of a series or a stand alone. They just make me happy. Really can't ask for more than that, right? I hadn't heard of this one but saw it at the store and had to grab it up. Wasn't quite sure what to expect but whoa, baby, it really wasn'
Feb 28, 2010 Alea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the premise for this book, shy woman dresses up for a costume party in a costume that no one can recognize her in, she has a very HOT interaction with a man she's always had a crush on and then makes a run for it before he can find out it is her. In their real lives they end up working on a project together and start to have feeling for each other but Tyler doesn't know that Carlie is also his mystery woman who he can't stop thinking about!

I loved their interactions, their flirting, thei
Aug 11, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Omg I loved this book. Every other romance I ever read was basically the same. Where the girl always get rejected. I liked how Carlie never gave in when she told him no. Well then she did give in but when they went to the morning after she held her ground. I love Carlie! I really appreciated when Tyler put his heart out she didn't imminently jump into his arms. The characters were intriguing. They both keep me on my toes. In every other Harlequin Romance I ever read always had me hoping the her
Aug 18, 2013 Melinda rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I generally like Lori Foster and she has a thing for the chick who is actually a hottie but doesn't know it. Except this time she pairs this type of woman with a guy who is over women who have experience. I don't think Lori Foster would explain it that way. I think that she would say (I don't know her, so I'm guessing) that her hero, Tyler, is over women who use him. But relationships in the U.S. are based on a transaction system. Women give sex for status & material things and men get sex i ...more
Jan 01, 2015 Xenos rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Impetuous"?!?! "Insipid" is more accurate. The absolute WORST Lori Foster book EVER. So much is wrong (and just plain stupid) that I cannot believe A) that it's a Lori Foster novel and B) that any publisher would print this drivel. Do try Ms. Foster's "Men Who Walk The Edge of Honor" series or "Love Undercover" series, though. Much, MUCH better.
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
I really hate when characters cannot make up their minds. It's definitely a pet peeve for me in a novel. Throughout the entire book Tyler, who is an amazing guy by the way, kept trying to convince Charlie that he was a good man and they should be together. She fought him all the way to the end, literally. I even skipped over a few parts. I get she had a bad marriage etc, but come on, give in a bit. Overall, it was just an ok read, nothing special.
Lori Foster's New Winston Story Featured in New Anthology 1 3 Dec 01, 2009 09:44AM
  • Ambushed! (Sons of Chance, #2)
  • Houston, We Have A Problem (Florida Doctors, #2)
  • Unraveled
  • All Through The Night (Brava Girlfriends #1)
  • A Daring Proposition
  • Rage of Passion
  • Charmed (Ghost Hunters, #0.5; Winston Brothers, #2)
  • The Most Expensive Night of Her Life
  • Season for Miracles (Bethlehem, #1)
  • Under His Skin
  • Simply Sensual (Simply, #3)
  • Forbidden Fruit
  • Anything for You (It's All About Attitude #6)
  • Lone Star Millionaire
  • My Christmas Wish
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • Scoring (Lowell High School #2.5)
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)

Lori hosts a very special annual “Reader & Author” event in West Chester, Ohio. Proceeds fro
More about Lori Foster...

“She pulled a deck from a drawer and sat across from Tyler. "What would you like to play?" She looked at Tyler.

"Strip poker?"

Carlie started to rise, her mouth drawn in annoyance, but Tyler stopped her. He was laughing. "Okay, okay. Bad jest. Sorry."

She nodded grudgingly. "So. What should we play?"

With a twinkle in his eyes, he asked innocently, "Old maid?"

She threw the cards at him, then sat there glaring.

"Well, I suppose that decides it." He grinned wryly, a card sitting on top of his head, the rest scattered in his lap and on the floor. "Fifty-two pickup it is."

-Carlie and Tyler”
“Tyler caught her wrist. "You can't walk home now. It's raining."

"Believe me, it won't bother me a bit."

"Now, Carlie, don't be obstinate."

"Tyler, I'm dangerously close to laying you low." She had to get away from him. Now.

"Violence? My, my, your cold is making you surly."

She tugged, but he didn't release her. "Tyler, what did you intend to do today, before you came here and decided to harass me?"

"I was going to harass Brenda, but you'll do better.”