Are We Winning? Fathers and Sons in the New Golden Age of Baseball

Are We Winning? Fathers and Sons in the New Golden Age of Baseball

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A hilarious tribute to baseball and to the fathers and sons who share the love of the game.

Are We Winning? is built around a trip to Wrigley Field to watch the St. Louis Cardinals play the Chicago Cubs--the "lovable losers" to most fans but the hated enemy to the Leitch men. Along for the ride are both Will's father, the gregarious but not-exactly demonstrative Midwestern...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Hyperion (first published 2010)

Josh
Jun 01, 2010 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Not sure what the other reviews are talking about here - this is a book about baseball and fathers, and how baseball can foster and shape a relationship. It's not about the Cardinals, they just get the majority of the ink here, but a baseball fan will be able to see their own fandom, no matter the team, reflected in Will's. My dad and I have always bonded over baseball, and I'm not alone in this. Any baseball fan who has a father (which is probably a good percentage) will enjoy this book. Leitch...more
Eric
In his acknowledgements, Will Leitch asks "why do people write books?" The question comes as something of a slap in the face for those trying to extract a purpose to this memoir about Leitch's visit to Wrigley Field for the 2008 Cubs' division-clinching win over the beloved St Louis Cardinals.

In this sprawling memoir, we have a few ruminative sections that address the father-son dynamic in light-hearted ways. The bulk of the book seems to be whatever is on the author's mind and relevant to baseb...more
Brad
Sadly for all us Cardinal fans, the answer to this question right now is, decidedly, “No.” Still, Will Leitch’s book by the same title gave me a lot of laughs and brought back a lot of great memories from growing up a Cardinal fan. In “Are We Winning: Fathers and Sons in the New Golden Age of Baseball,” Leitch details a trip to Wrigley Field for a series between his beloved Redbirds and the despised Cubs. He’s joined on the trip by his father (who, like so many of us, was responsible for Will’s...more
Ryan
Feb 10, 2013 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sports
Great book about fathers & sons, family, best friends. Anyone who is a Cardinals or Cubs fan (I am neither), or an alumnus of the Univ. of Illinois (which I am) will love this book.
Kevin
I'm going to review this book in list form. The author didn't really seem to put that much effort into the book, so why should I in my review?
- Leitch overuses the whole capitalize ordinary words to make an Important Point technique.
- It's reasonable to expect some errors in a first printing, but this one looked like they just ran a spellchecker and let it go.
- It's almost cute how Leitch tries to convince us of the importance and potency of the Cardinals-Cubs rivalry while criticizing the Yanke...more
Ivan
A really good, well-written book by a man who clearly loves baseball and his father. The narrative is structured inning-by-inning around a Cardinals-Cubs game during the 2003 playoff chase and is interlaced with the author's memories, musings, and stories by other baseball fans.

It reminded me of the pure joy and heartbreak being a Dodgers fan can be and made me think of my own father who took me to my first game at Dodger Stadium, my little brother who I fed countless groundballs to until he ju...more
I flat-out loved this book. Will Leitch grew up in Mattoon, which about 30 minutes south of Champaign. He's a Cardinal fan (the fool), but is as devoted to his team as I am to the Cubs. He attended the University of Illinois, as did I, although in different decades (I'm older). And he and his dad bonded over baseball, just like I did with my dad.

I also liked the structure of the book, which unfolds by half-innings of the 2008 Cubs' division-clinching win over the Cardinals. Each chapter opens wi...more
M. R.
Very well done; this is a humorous and well-done examination of relationships -- father and son, fan and team, Cards fan and Cubs fan -- through the lens of the grandeur of the game of baseball.

Because of the format of the book - each Chapter is a half-inning, so there are eighteen chapters - some chapters seem more forced, stretching some topics to reach eighteen. In some of these, he seems more than happy to take unpopular positions (players using steroids aren't that evil, advanced stats don...more
Matt Simmons
An incredibly enjoyable book about an ultimately meaningless baseball game. But that game, a September 2008 Cubs/Cardinals game, provides opportunities for Leitch to talk about the game itself, its place in American culture, and, most especially, its place on connecting fathers and sons. If you're a man who values his father, who is a father and wonders what kind of father he's going to be like, what it means to be a father, hell, anything about father-and-son relationships--well, this is stuff...more
Saxon
Will Leitch, founder of the gossip/humor sports blog Deadspin, writes a personal story that all takes place during a single Cubs versus Cardinals game. Really, though, its about his father-son relationships, growing old, America, beer, the effect of the digital age and a whole lot of baseball. It's also one of the funniest books I have read in a long time.

Parts of this book could really appeal to the average reader. Parts, though. The other parts, would be totally boring or go over their head un...more
Robert
Leitch (who started one of my favorite website's with Deadspin.com) does a superb job mixing sports and life together in this book. I love the bond that is there between him and his father, and that baseball is what seems to strengthen that bond. As a Yankee fan it is fun to see that there are actually other baseball rivalries such as Cubs/Cardinals. I also think I might need to steal his idea of keeping a journal of every scorecard he has done. That chapter itself made the book for me. I think...more
J.W. Nicklaus
This was another book I got to review for the New York Journal of Books. A terrific father-and-son 'memoir' of growing up in a relationship with your dad where the only true flee-flowing conversations are about your love for the game of baseball. This isn't just a stats or reenactment of the golden age of baseball, it's a real gem about the inner workings of familial ties and things that keep us bound together. My full review can be found here.
Christy
So many positives, and yet so many negatives. If you like baseball and like making fun of the Cubs you will enjoy this book. If you like the Cubs I wouldn't recommend reading this, unless you have a very good sense of humor about the team and your fandom. While this was an enjoyable read, it lost serious points for chapters that are too long, information that detracted from the book rather than added to it, too much discussion of things in the past, and too many descriptions of his father's beer...more
Mike Manley
The BEST baseball book I have read. Equal parts history of baseball, father-son relationship, cynical observation of sports. Great humor and poignant self-reflection. If you love baseball, you'll love this book.
Tim Lapetino
This book is as much about fathers and suns as it is about baseball. Set against the backdrop of the 2008 baseball season, Cardinals fan and author Will Leitch journeys to Wrigley Field with his dad, on the eve of the Cubs clinching the Central Division title. It's funny, poignant, and a passionate case for why the game of baseball is amazing, and why it draws men of different generations together in a way that no other sports can. I highly recommend it.
Mike Schneider
The message in this book really resonated with me. It worked on several levels--first, as an insight into the basebal Cardinals/Cubs rivalry, secondly, as a father/son relationship explanation, thirdly, as an ode to baseball in general. All three levels were significant to me and I revelled in this book. A must for baseball fans, particularly Cards fans!
Rob Rausch
I actually read this cover-to-cover today, on a Fathers' Day bus trip to a ball game with my dad. It was a great way to remember prior games together and his years coaching me in Little League. Like the author, my dad also meticulously keeps score at every game. Definitely a must-read for anyone who has shared a love for baseball with their dad.
Ken Dowell
Funny book. Leitch is a great writer. It's about one nine-inning baseball game that the author attends with his father. Nine innings can take a long time and a baseball game has a lot of dead spots so you think of a lot of things. In Leitch's case those things mainly involve family and baseball and that's what he writes about.
Ethan
Absolutely demolished this book throughout one day that I was sick from school, means a lot to me since I'm a huge baseball fan and it talks about the father-son bond that comes from the game. Really enjoyed it, but you do have to be a baseball fan to like it, so if you're not, there's no reason to pick this book up.
John
A good book for any baseball fan. Covers the relationship between a father and son with baseball as the common bond between the two. The language in the book is R-rated at times, so this is not a book for kids. It is a short, enjoyable read.
Andrew
Phenomenal book. Beginning with a letter to his unborn son, Will Leitch keeps you enticed he entire way with unequivocal insight, personal anecdotes about his childhood, and an expressed healthy fear of aging.
Ben
Jumps back-and-forth between chapters on his personal story and chapters about baseball in general. Rather hit or miss, but some of the best chapters - like the one on Bartman - are exceptional.
Bill#5
A fun read, made me laugh. If you're a dad/son, bleed Cardinal red, and like beer you'll enjoy the book. It's almost like he was writing just for me.
Todd
Really enjoyed this Cardinals loving Cubs bashing Father/Son baseball book. Very funny in many places and it helped me relive some nice ballpark memories.
Marcus Lynn
If your relationship with your father included lots of baseball, then this book will resonate with you.
John
If you are a transplanted cardinals fan don't write an autobiography just give people this book.
John
Phenomenal. I'm ready to stitch Leitch's name to the back of my shirt.
Rob Cantrall
Pretty good. Laugh out loud funny at times.
Patrick
Hilarious and touching, I highly recommend it.
Paul
Funniest book I read all summer!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cardboard Gods: An All-American Tale Told Through Baseball Cards
  • As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires
  • The Game from Where I Stand: A Ballplayer's Inside View
  • Flip Flop Fly Ball: An Infographic Baseball Adventure
  • Big Hair and Plastic Grass: A Funky Ride Through Baseball and America in the Swinging '70s
  • Fantasyland: A Sportswriter's Obsessive Bid to Win the World's Most Ruthless Fantasy Baseball League
  • A Well-Paid Slave: Curt Flood's Fight for Free Agency in Professional Sports
  • Nine Innings: The Anatomy of a Baseball Game
  • Watching Baseball Smarter: A Professional Fan's Guide for Beginners, Semi-experts, and Deeply Serious Geeks
  • The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin'
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Diamond in the Rough: A Memoir
God Save the Fan: How Preening Sportscasters, Athletes Who Speak in the Third Person, and the Occasional Convicted Quarterback Have Taken the Fun Out of Sports (And How We Can Get It Back) Catch Life as a Loser God Save the Fan 21 Proms

“I was just growing old enough to start realizing my own limitations, which is the first step to dying, I think.” 1 likes