The Bride and the Beast

The Bride and the Beast (Fairy Tales #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  3,233 ratings  ·  193 reviews
Teresa Medeiros makes her hardcover debut in this magnificently sensual and romantic tale filled with passion, humor, and suspense. It is the unforgettable story of two indomitable characters whose love affair is the stuff of which legends are made....

Gwendolyn Wilder did not believe in dragons.But the superstitious villagers of Ballybliss did, and so Gwendolyn found herse...more
Published November 26th 2008 by Bantam (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride and the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride and the Beast

Linds
This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast set in 1700's Scotland.

The story starts with our hero Brandon. His family, the lord of a village was betrayed to the English by one of the villagers. His family was killed and he was taken prisoner for many years. He is hiding back out in his ruined castle after many years away.

The heroine Gwen is 25 and thought to be strange by her family and village because of her love of science in a time of superstition. The villagers think there is a half man/half...more
Elaine Mcdonald
Love Medeiros!

My favorite quote from the story:
"How could I have let you do any of those things when I've never even seen your face? When I don't even know your name?"

"That may be true," he said quietly, "but for just a moment there, I would have sworn you knew my heart."
Bookwatcher
Nov 21, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My worst enemy
I swear!!! I try, try and try but this lame book was to much for me! Abandoned (after 1 day and more than 100 pages of boring reading!).

Hate the main female character! All hers possible jokes was terrible! Hate the way she describe every woman as a who** and only she is the virtuous one! (come on! Soooo terrible some jokes about her sisters!)

Hate even more the main male character! OMG, someone PLEEEEEASE tell me why I should be charmed by one so annoying as him!

So, my point is.... I'm paying...more
Ann Keller
Long ago, someone in the village of Ballybliss betrayed the Laird of Weyrcraig to the English and both the nobleman and his family were slaughtered. Years later, a fearsome creature - a dragon no less - claims Castle Weyrcraig, demanding food and drink be brought to him, as well as a thousand pounds of gold, the reward given to betray the laird. The superstitious villagers accede to the Dragon’s demands, including giving him the fair Gwendolyn, an innocent, to appease his unceasing hunger.

Yet, t...more
Cynthia
After reading the cover blurb and through Chapter 2, you can pretty much see exactly how the rest of the book will go. Now, that's no problem, if engaging characters, rich dialogue, or humorous situations keep you entertained while you read. No such luck.

Hero is boring, emo, 1-D. Dragon analogy is stretch throughout the book in non-clever, corny ways. I must be revenged! What? I love her? Ok.

Gwen is curvy/plump. Don't worry about forgetting it, because it's shoved in your face about once a page....more
Christy Stewart
As a retelling of the often retold 'Beauty And The Beast' I expected this book to be painful and contrived. Or painfully contrived. But it was good!

When Medeiros tried to be funny, it was funny. When she tried to be clever, it was clever. That alone is rare, but her characters were also lovable and had a lot of depth.

I'm still confused as to how Tupper isn't gay though...I was so sure...
Elle
As the only virgin (literally it's a bit disturbing) left in the Highland village of Ballybliss, Gwendolyn Wilder finds herself being sent off as a sacrificial offering to the legendary "Dragon" of Weyrcraig, literally tied to a steak and wrapped in virginal white Gwendolyn finds herself not as an offering to a mythical creature but as a temptation to the mysterious castle inhabitant. The "Dragon" of Weyrcraig is overly tempted by Gwendolyn's abundant curves, her over educated (for the time) min...more
Dawn
As you can guess this story is based off of beauty and beast.

Life in Ballybliss has fallen on hard times. Fifteen years ago the laird and his family were murdered by Englishmen and nothing has really been right since then. Gwendolyn is a young woman who is trying to live by her virtue and take care of her father. All of her life she has been subject to ridicule because she is overweight. Sadly Gwen is one of the few people who has common sense and is also literate. Her brains are what take her i...more
Sara ♥
4.5 stars. I REALLY liked it.
Teresa Medeiros's writing style is not my FAVORITE. It's too flowery and like... poemy... I don't know how to describe it. Fanciful, maybe. A lot of metaphors that... well, I feel like you should have a good reason to use a metaphor... it shouldn't just be RANDOM. But they were. And similes. And I just don't know. It was odd.

I liked the premise (a Beauty and the Beast story, obviously, that takes place in Scotland in the mid/late 1700s) and I really loved the heroin...more
♡Esra♡
This is more like somewhere between a 2.5 and 3.5

Unfortunately, I found myself skipping at some parts. The story isn't bad at all, but I don't why I couldn't connect with the characters as much as I would've liked. Maybe it was too short? I don't know. Hope you end up enjoying it more than I did.
Hortencia
This is the first of Medeiros's books that I've read, and I have to say I am impressed. The Bride and the Beast's main characters are well written and have depth. The tale proceeds at a good pace and has a logical, satisfying conclusion. The author's prose dances off the page with rich description and a lovely rhythm. I found no over- or incorrect usage of figures of speech, i.e., similes, metaphors, etc., not to mention, I was not bothered by the reiteration of the heroine's size. It made sense...more
LiteraryLover
I thought The Bride and the Beast was one of the better fairy tale inspired romances I've read. The first 2/3rds of the book I loved, but towards the end I thought it got a little silly. I also sort of wished her period in the castle went for a little longer but that's just being picky. I still thought it was rather good anyways.
Deniz
It is very heart warming romance and it has a little mystery and humor.
The storyline is original and really catches your attention..
I really enjoyed this book
Thanks VERİ!
C.
I know I liked this book once. It was the first Medeiros I ever picked up, and I certainly liked it well enough to become a regular reader of her novels. But this really may just be one of those places where age and awareness have ruined something for me.

What’s really spoiled it for me now is the entire attitude of the heroine. She’s just so Special Snowflake because she reads and has held onto her virginity, and the amount of slut-shaming she heaps upon every other woman in the village, includ...more
Cruth
Author: Teresa Medeiros
First published: April 2001
Length: 324 pages, 3505 kindle locations
Setting: Georgian Highland Romance - Scotland 1761. Memories of Culloden (1746) colour their actions and decisions.
Sex: Reasonably explicit. Only a couple of bedroom scenes, towards the end.
Heroine: Is plus-size ("generous, but shapely, derriere" p.104, loc.1108). Her size colours how she sees herself, and how she is treated. She eats many biscuits and has many (kissable) dimples. It is not an issue for our...more
Astrid Yrigollen
Kathy
Shivanie
"Vaporous tongues of mist crept out of the glens and hollows, swirling like dragon’s breath around the parapets of Castle Weyrcraig. The sea pounded at the cliffs below, roaring with mindless fury. The full moon cast an icy glow over the castle, chilling everything it touched and deepening the illusion that the ancient stones had been frozen in time."

I love this description the most out of the book. But through out the book Teresa has done an amazing job describing the scenes from the book. I...more
Leyla Fernandez
This was my first romance novel. I read it a few years ago and the memories still dance in my head. You know that feeling when you're trapped so beautifuly in a book. The butterlfy and hungry feeling to just keep reading and reading. Well thats what happened to me every time I read this work of art. It has all the romance ingredients you would love to encounter when you grab a book.
I thank Teresa Medeiros for delighting us with her story telling.
If you love passion, pain, love and a good story,t...more
Carolyn F.
Am I the only one who didn't like this book? It wasn't horrible but it wasn't very good either. Gwendolyn's a chubby little girl who has a crush on the Laird's son Bernard. Then she thinks he's killed with his family. Years later the Laird's protector(?) a dragon is making the village live in fear and since she's the only virgin left, they tie her up at the castle. Well the dragon is more than she thought. There's this convoluted romance that was so irritating, it was skimtastic. Which I also en...more
Violet
Oh, this book brings memories from times long ago - not the book itself, but the genre - of living in a dorm in my college, and reading borrowed crappy romance books, instead of studying.
No better way to prepare for an exam, than reading some crappy romance, as it very successfully vacuums out your brain and voila, you're prepared to study! (not really).
As for crappy romance books, this ain't one of them. Campy as hell, full of tropes and cliches, plump heroines and lairds, all the ravishing yo...more
Robin
The mysterious Dragon of Weyrcraig Castle has once again demanded the villagers at Ballybliss provide him with food and whiskey. But this time he also wants gold. Since the villagers don't have any gold, they decide a virgin sacrifice will have to do. So, they stake Gwendolyn Wilder in the castle courtyard, hoping she will satisfy the Dragon's appetite. Gwen soon finds herself a prisoner to the Dragon, a man who treats her like a princess, but keeps to the shadows so she cannot see his face.

Cute...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
This telling of a classic tale, with changes and liberties, is an imaginative and well penned story. Bernard is not the beast you think, and the 'Beauty' of the story doesn't show all her beauty on the outside, but the inside as well. A charming read!!
Susinok
After reading all of the good reviews on this book, I was dissapointed. The story started out well, but then both characters developed a huge streak of immaturity. I'm also not a fan of characters running away from their situation.
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
This was a quick and easy read that was fairly enjoyable, however it was a bit forgettable. It was entertaining and held my attention whilst I was reading it, but it isn't something that I would keep or read again.
ChloeLeeNH
I had this in my shelf for years... the B&B theme was there... I liked how he treated her as his captive... it definitely gave the feel of the true B&B... there were some twists... GOod overall.
Cata
The Bride and the Beast de Teresa Medeiros é um retelling d’A Bela e o Monstro. A acção decorre na Escócia e tem alguns pontos interessantes: o Monstro não é feio, nem está deformado (as suas cicatrizes são emocionais) e a Bela não é a beldade da aldeia.

Outro aspecto que gostei bastante foi a maldição e o impacto que tinha nas pessoas (que eram facilmente susceptíveis e impressionáveis). Esta maldição fez com que houvessem situações caricatas, provocadas por um pânico geral que se propagava como...more
Katie
This I really enjoyed! The chemistry here was so amazing that I found myself wanting more smutty times, but the UST was damn good!
pauliree
I didn't think this was much like the Beauty and the Beast fairytale as the hero was not remotely Beastly, he was a very attractive man. It was more like the heroine Gwendolyn continually harped on about how fat she was and the hero said it all - (not a direct quote) 'If you didn't keep drawing attention to your weight I wouldn't have noticed anything.'

I think this is something modern women do more than women of that time, although I am sure women back then had weight issues, I'm not sure they w...more
Susan
Classic Medeiros storytelling.

Loved the hero, heroine and setting. A wonderful way to dream away an afternoon!
  • Lord of Danger
  • The Lady Flees Her Lord
  • Courting Claudia
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • Beast
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • Seize the Fire
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • Tutoring Lady Jane
  • Beauty
  • Taming The Beast
  • Highland Rogue (Clan MacKenzie #2)
  • Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)
  • Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • How to Marry a Duke (How To Series #1)
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
19971
New York Times bestseller Teresa Medeiros wrote her first novel at the age of twenty-one and has since gone on to win the hearts of both readers and critics. All of her books have been national bestsellers, featured on the New York Times, USA Today and Publishers Weekly bestseller lists. She currently has over 10 million books in print.

She is a seven-time Rita finalist, two-time PRISM winner, and...more
More about Teresa Medeiros...
Yours Until Dawn Charming the Prince (Fairy Tales, #1) After Midnight (Cabot, #1) A Kiss to Remember (Fairleigh Sisters, #1) The Devil Wears Plaid

“Then you're a bigger fool than I thought. Since when has any man ever been worthy of the woman he loved? It's only by God's grace that they love us in spite of ourselves.” 17 likes
“They were old, their covers cracked and their bindings frayed, but as far as Gwendolyn was concerned that only made the words cocooned between their musty pages more precious.” 4 likes