Start by marking “Rapunzel's Revenge” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rapunzel's Revenge

Shannon Hale

Rapunzel's Revenge (Rapunzel's Revenge #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  12,792 Ratings  ·  1,931 Reviews
Once upon a time, in a land you only think you know, lived a little girl and her mother . . . or the woman she "thought" was her mother.Every day, when the little girl played in her pretty garden, she grew more curious about what lay on the other side of the garden wall . . . a rather enormous garden wall.

And every year, as she grew older, things seemed weirder and weirder
Published August 1st 2008 by Turtleback Books

Melki
 WANTED
 DEAD OR ALIVE
 RAPUNZEL
 For horse thieving, kidnapping,
 jailbreaking, and using her own hair
 in a manner other than
 nature intended!

This is one spunky Rapunzel, a gal with gumption, well able to rescue her own doggone self from a tower, thank you!

She reminds me so much of Jessie from Toy Story 2! Rapunzel uses her long braids for roping and wrangling, tearing through a fairy tale that mixes it up with the Old West. There are cacti, giant snakes, coyotes and even a jackalope to cont
Betsy
Jun 04, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A popular novelist may be prone to looking at the whole of their oeuvre. They consider their past works, look to the future, and decide to write a graphic novel. What makes them do this? Is it the potential to reach whole new audiences? Is it the accessibility of the format? The trendiness of it all? Or it is something else? Could it be that graphic novels are the wave of the future? Could be. Certainly they offer an author a whole new way of looking at the literary format. Why an enterprising y ...more
Jessica
Jun 29, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fresh, funny take on the Rapunzel fairy tale. Set in the Old West, Rapunzel's braids prove to be useful as more than just a ladder as she lassos her way to freedom along with her cohort, Jack.

Shannon and Dean's clever dialogue and hilarious narration are just that: clever and hilarious. In fact, I think they should collaborate on more projects, but as with any graphic novel, I'm into it for the pictures, and Nathan Hale does not disappoint. (I'm also a huge fan of his picture books, so I wasn'
Ronyell
“Rapunzel’s Revenge” is an awesome retelling of the classic Brothers Grimm tale “Rapunzel” by Shannon and Dean Hale along with illustrations by Nathan Hale (no relation). “Rapunzel’s Revenge” is a brilliant tale of adventure and romance that both children and adults will enjoy for centuries!

Shannon and Dean Hale has done a great job with writing their first graphic novel together and they make the story both exciting and dramatic at the same time. Shannon and Dean Hale had brilliantly retold the
Laura Florand
Loved this. My daughter had read it first and kept saying I should read it, too, so finally she got me to read it to her for her bedtime story. Very well done, great art, great characters, good touches of humor, and Rapunzel is a strong heroine.
Becky
Aug 18, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hale, Shannon and Dean. 2008. Rapunzel's Revenge. Illustrated by Nathan Hale.

Rapunzel's Revenge is a graphic novel. A great graphic novel of an empowered and spunky Rapunzel who's on a quest for revenge. Really there are no words for how much fun this one is. It does begin in a familiar way, "Once upon a time, there was a beautiful little girl..." and it is loosely based on the fairy tale...but most of the story is original and fun and wonderful. The book really begins to take off when Rapunzel
Eva Mitnick
Rapunzel doesn’t know there’s anything wrong with her life – a gorgeous villa, plenty of food, servants and guards, a powerful mother named Mother Gothel – until she manages to finally scale the high wall that surrounds her opulent home. Beyond it lies an industrial wasteland, starving workers policed by vicious guards, and… Rapunzel’s real mother, a worker dressed in rags whose baby was taken from her by Mother Gothel. Rapunzel furiously confronts Mother Gothel, who has her taken away and impri ...more
Skip
Oct 28, 2016 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Shannon Hale has taken a classic fairy tale, added in a dash of Jack (of Beanstalk fame) and set it in the wild, wild west, and told in a graphic novel format. When privileged Rapunzel discovers her "mother" took her from her birth mother and is destroying the surrounding lands, her objections land her in the famous tower. Rather than waiting for rescue by a prince, this Rapunzel uses her own gifts to escape and seeks reunion and retribution. Along the way, she becomes a bit of an outlaw/rogue. ...more
Praxedes
Nov 13, 2010 Praxedes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel is on the Middle School Battle of the Books list. The use of artwork to create a story is skilfully woven into the plot. In fact, there are entire sequences told via the graphics which require no words. That is what a graphic novel should be...the synthesis of two different genres to create a third. The story is a modern-day version of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale, but with clever twists and sub-plots. Very enjoyable.
Shantelle
Rapunzel's Revenge was a fun, entertaining graphic novel by Shannon Hale. It was a quick read that I enjoyed (besides the scenes with witchy someone or another), and I may read the sequel someday! *smiles*
Anne
Cute cowboy twist on a classic fairytale.
Artemis
Have you ever seen a film - or read a book - and thought, "This has everything"? In hindsight it is an absurd and childish phrase. Because no story that has ever been told has "everything" in it, for nothing is so varied and good that it could please everyone. Even the word "epic" means different things to different people. But after finishing 'Rapunzel's Revenge' - created by the wife-and-husband team Shannon and Dean Hale - I found myself thinking exactly that, while also dealing with a tidal ...more
Nancy
Feb 03, 2017 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2017/02/0...

Continuing with my fairy tale theme, this week we meet Rapunzel- who is a spunky red headed cowgirl who can lasso her hair like no one’s business!

We first meet Rapunzel as a pre-teen who lives in a lush villa with her mother and servants. She is adequately cared for but not coddled by her stern mother, but is plagued by a dream of being loved by another couple. As she starts to question why the walls are so high ar
Misty
When I first started this, I have to say I was pretty iffy.  There's a bit to get through to get to the 'current' story, and I don't know that I've ever read info-dumping in graphic novel form.  It was...odd.  It made me feel really disconnected, and I wasn't sure I was going to like this.  But once Rapunzel is banished to her high, um, tower of sorts, it started to pick up, and it took off when Jack entered the story -- it was enjoyable from that point on.

There was great humor in unexpected mom
Nancy O'Toole
As a child, I loved fairy tales, but as I’ve grown older I’ve started to see their flaws. One of the things that have struck me the most is their portrayal of women. You can be Rapunzel, the beautiful, goodhearted maiden that must be rescued by the handsome prince, or the evil, ugly witch that locks her in the tower. With all of the modernizations of fairy tales released in the past several years, these stereotypes are often turned on their heads. Rapunzel’s Revenge is a great example of this. I ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Rebecca Wells for TeensReadToo.com

Once upon a time, in a land very far away, there lived a girl with her mother. Every day as the girl grew and played, she also became more and more curious about the world outside. One day she finally climbed up her wall and discovered that she really knew nothing at all.

And that was when she decided to do something about it.

Think you know Rapunzel? You've never heard it like this!

With a feisty heroine who uses her ridiculously long hair as a weap
Cara
Mar 11, 2009 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
When I first saw this title I hadn't realized that it was a graphic novel. As a rule I tend to avoid them since (at least to me) they don't seem like real books, but since I love Shannon Hale,s work I decided to give it a chance.
I enjoyed it a lot more than what I expected. It is a very unique and cool retelling of Rapunzel's story. It was more like she was a comic book hero (which wasn't bad), I guess what I'm trying to say is that I thought it was pretty cool that she had killer braids. We are
Leslie
"Now with a name like the Devil's Armpit, you'd think it'd be a right jolly place. -We didn't sleep much at night."

My first foray into the land of graphic novels was very entertaining. What's not to like about a red-headed chick with a scorpion tale hair braid and a stinging attitude to match it! Throw in a handsome, mysterious sidekick, an evil stepmother, plants and animals with serious growth issues, and you have a modernized version of the classic fairy tale.

Without giving too much away, m
Lori
May 20, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'll be honest -- this is the first graphic novel I have ever read. I was drawn to it because of the attractive artwork - the illustrator did a great job and the colors literally jump off the page.

I was torn between giving it a 3 star rating or a 4 star rating. It was easy to read and interesting. Having just watched "Tangled" a few weeks ago, I found this interpretation of Rapunzel's story interesting. The authors took the basic elements of Rapunzel's story and added some more fantasy elements
Kathryn
Feb 24, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
When Repunzel discovers the woman she has always called mother stole her away from her family as a child and is sucking the life out of the land, she knows that she must use all of her meager skills to return the land to its fertile origins. With the help of her new friend Jack and his crazy goose Goldy, Punzie finds an inner strength and a community ready to come together to take down the most evil witch of all.

This a cute story that mixes the Brothers Grimm with Mother Goose and throws in a t
Marissa
Oct 25, 2008 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first graphic novel read!
And, sorry graphic novels, I enjoy written word better.
This is obviously, Rapunzel. The little pictures capture and tell the story so well but I would have loved intense descriptions and reading more.
On the other hand, my daughter Julia, loves it. She keeps sneaking it into her bed at night to read when she thinks I am not looking. I think it's giving her a bridge from a typical picture book with not so much plot shown in images that she can follow some of the passa
Deanna
Oct 30, 2009 Deanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first graphic novel...

My last graphic novel?....

I like that Hale is making an effort to revive the old fairy tales. Okay I love that. However, I'm not a big fan of Calamity Jane or the old west but some how Rapunzel became Calamity Jane, only with really long hair. So this book wasn't really about Rapunzel and an old fairy tale but about Calamity Jane. I'm sure everyone else will love it, I was bored.

She definitely threw some "I am woman, I can take cake of myself" stuff in there too. Why mus
Luann
This was fun! Such a unique and spunky version of the Rapunzel story - with a little Jack and the Beanstalk thrown in for good measure - and I'm sure I also saw some dwarves and a jackalope! (My second book with a jackalope.) A great collaboration by Shannon and Dean Hale with illustrations by Nathan Hale (no relation). I look forward to the sequel.
Elizabeth
Mar 16, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shannon Hale fans! :)
Shelves: fairy-tales, legends
This was cute, laugh out loud, smile n sigh, graphic novel. (meaning basically a comic book the length of a novel... graphic as in pictures!)
I loved the illustrations, especially the expressions on some of the characters faces at times! :) This western tale of a girl with twenty-foot braids, and a boy with a quick sense of humor and a knack for stealing is a clean, fun read!
Halee
Feb 14, 2016 Halee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
While this book was very entertaining, it had quite a bit of magical elements I didn't appreciate. Spells, witches, etc. This is set in a fairytale land which was pretty interesting!

Despite the fact that I didn't like the magic, I'll be reading the next book. :)
Marian
Dec 05, 2009 Marian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute take. Of all the fairy tale princesses I have thought Rapunzel to be the dimmest--sitting all by herself with two long "ropes" to use for escape. So yeah for Hale empowering Rapunzel to wait for no one and save herself.
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
OH MY GOSH. Way better than I expected, I loved it so much! THIS is the kind of thing kids need to be reading. Full review to come!
Aug 12, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j
K and J both really liked this one!
Daphne
This was a really fun book. It's western re-telling of Rapunzel, and in this version, Rapunzel saves herself, no prince required. (Although, I really enjoyed the Prince's cameo.)

I didn't give this 5 stars because I felt that it dragged a bit in the middle, and that the ending was a bit rushed. I think the graphic format really worked for it since there are lots of action sequences, but because it's extremely visual, you lose the character development that could be done in a traditional book.

Th
Ann Santori
Feb 01, 2017 Ann Santori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
So adorable . . . with light romance (not until the very end for those kids/young adults who don't like any of that kissing stuff!) and a badass female protagonist. Somewhat similar to the "Fables" series in that it makes references to different fairy-tale 'worlds' within one universe, but completely kid friendly (this could even go lower than YA -- into middle grade for sure, and maybe elementary).
Madison Mega-Mara...: #136 Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale 1 2 Dec 17, 2016 08:29AM
Future Teachers, ...: Jones-Review 3 1 2 Oct 24, 2016 09:06PM
Too many versions 31 61 May 27, 2013 11:01AM
  • The Storm in the Barn
  • How Mirka Got Her Sword (Hereville #1)
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • Foiled (Foiled, #1)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • The Courageous Princess
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Princeless #1
  • Sidekicks
  • The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • Copper
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more
More about Shannon Hale...

Rapunzel's Revenge (2 books)
  • Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2)

“WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE: RAPUNZEL
For horse thieving, kidnapping, jail breaking, and using her hair in a manner other than nature intended!
REWARD”