Start by marking “Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)

Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  18 reviews
She lost her job. She almost lost her life. Now Hannah Ives is taking her first brave steps back into the world, wearing a wig and her heart on her sleeve after a frightening bout with breast cancer. But in the small Chesapeake Bay town where she came for a vacation, she does not find the relaxation she deserves. Instead, Hannah finds a body --- of a girl who disappeared e ...more
Published August 10th 1999 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Sing It To Her Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sing It To Her Bones

Terri
Hannah Ives is working on surviving cancer, so she takes a vacation visiting her sister-in-law. While walking the dog, she finds a body in a cistern of a girl who had disappeared 8 years before. The girl reminds her of her own strained relationship with her daughter and she seeks to find answers for the girl's family.

I loved this book. Hannah was a wonderful character and the support cast interesting. I read this book in a little over a day because I couldn't put it down. And the solution to the
Kathryn Bain
First let me say this book was written back in 1999, before e-books came out. That being said, it's really a warning to those who don't like a lot of setting in their books. Because there is quite a bit.

The story itself was pretty good. It's one of those cozies where the heroine sets out to solve a murder when she has absolutely no experience in that regard. The thing I liked about this one is she didn't solve the case. The only reason she found out who the killer was was because (s)he tried to
B
The type of well crafted mystery that I like, plausible but not obvious requiring good digging. And it takes place in Annapolis and southern Maryland so familiarity with places and streets is fun. Also lots of sailing action! This author will be visiting our Crofton library on 4/27 at 2 pm for a mystery panel discussion.
Kristen
Hannah Ives is a recovering cancer, unemployed, and down on her luck. Her marriage have hit a crisis point, when she goes to Pearson's Corner to take time for herself and discover a dead body of a girl who disappeared a decade ago. When she's asking questions around, she stirs up a hornet's nest. Now people are trying to scare her off from the truth, when there's been some attempts on her life to shut her up. When her sister-in-law's sailboat's pirated by the killers, the truth comes out in the ...more
Mary Jo
I ordered the first two books in this series because it was recommended to me and seemed to have good reviews on Amazon. I expected to like it a lot--the premise is interesting and some of the action writing is very good. But I found over the course of the book that I don't like Hannah much. To my mind, she's kind of a drama queen, and she goes off half-cocked. A lot.

I also felt that the Paul/Academy subplot didn't add anything to the book. It just felt like filler. And more drama. I will read t
Barbara
Good first in a series - 2nd one is better! Hannah Ives -
Marcie
Beach read.
Candace Davidson
I was looking forward to enojoying this book. I met the author at a Deadly Divas book signing. She made her books sound appealing. I gave it a try. Suffice to say I disliked the book so much I didn't finish reading it. I was really hoping I would like it. I didn't like it due to it, it not being as funny as I would of liked. My rule which which hasn't led me astray is if I don't laugh on the 1st page then I won't like the rest of the book. :(
Amy C
The story line in this book is decent- a good enough mystery. I wondered if the authors constant illusion to the thin features of the main character, who is recovering from cancer, and the heaviness of others was over the top and too repetitive.
Pat
May 20, 2015 Pat rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
First book first novel takes place in Southern Maryland, with geographic names changed. Some good elements, including sailing and living in the country.
OK book.
Also read in 1999.
Marcia Talley is Systems Librarian at Naval Academy.
Margaret
The title is a quote from Shakespeare. I thought this was a pretty good book - the undercurrent of Hannah recovering from her cancer, along with the problems her husband was having in his job, gave more interest to the story.
Julia
Just discovered Marcia Talley on Facebook-Deadly Divas. This is the first in the Hannah Ives mysteries, and off to a good start! I look forward to finishing this one, and continuing with the series.
Connie
Oct 14, 2013 Connie added it
This is the first book by this author I've read and now I plan to read more.
Enjoyed it for the locale (Maryland shore and sailing) as well as the character development. 3 stars
Kristi
I didn't hate this book, but didn't love it either. At this point I have no desire to read any other books in this series. Just didn't care for any of the charaters.
Courtney
I am going to meet this author when I go to Annapolis in April. Her husband is one of Curtis' clients. He recommended that we read this book of hers first.
Linda
Not bad, but not sure I will continue on with the series.
Shauna
Julie
Julie added it
May 29, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Mar 29, 2015
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Lisa Keating
Lisa Keating marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • Cognitive Therapy of Personality Disorders
  • Media Unlimited: How the Torrent of Images & Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to a Moral Economy
  • The Skeptic: A Life of H. L. Mencken
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • The Middle Mind: Why Consumer Culture is Turning Us Into the Living Dead
  • Day Of Confession
  • The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • The True and Only Heaven: Progress and Its Critics
Marcia Talley is the Agatha and Anthony award-winning author of DEAD MAN DANCING and six previous mysteries featuring amateur sleuth, Hannah Ives who, like the author, is a breast cancer survivor.

Marcia is author/editor of two star-studded collaborative novels, NAKED CAME THE PHOENIX and ID KILL FOR THAT set in a fashionable health spa and an exclusive gated community, respectively. Her short sto
More about Marcia Talley...

Hannah Ives Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Unbreathed Memories (Hannah Ives Mystery, #2)
  • Occasion of Revenge (Hannah Ives Mystery, #3)
  • In Death's Shadow (Hannah Ives Mystery, #4)
  • This Enemy Town (Hannah Ives Mystery, #5)
  • Through the Darkness (Hannah Ives Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Man Dancing (Hannah Ives Mystery, #7)
  • Without a Grave (Hannah Ives Mystery, #8)
  • All Things Undying (Hannah Ives Mystery, #9)
  • A Quiet Death (Hannah Ives #10)
  • The Last Refuge (Hannah Ives Mystery #11)
Naked Came the Phoenix I'd Kill For That Unbreathed Memories (Hannah Ives Mystery, #2) A Quiet Death (Hannah Ives #10) Occasion of Revenge (Hannah Ives Mystery, #3)