Start by marking “The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery” as Want to Read:
The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery

The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  3,558 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
Since 1997, The Four Agreements has transformed the lives of millions of people around the world with a simple but profound message.

Now bestselling author don Miguel Ruiz and his son, don Jose Ruiz, collaborate with this powerful sequel The Fifth Agreement.

The Four Agreements provides the foundation for breaking thousands of agreements that create needless suffering and wi
Published December 15th 2009 by Amber-Allen Publishing

Lynne Tull
Nov 17, 2010 Lynne Tull rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Skip The Four Agreements (Ruiz' first book).
Go directly to The Fifth Agreement!

You get all Five Agreements for the price of one!
1. Be impeccable with your word-
Never use the power of the word against yourself.
2. Don’t take anything personally-
All humans live in their own world, in their own movie/story/dream and you in yours.
3. Don’t make assumptions-
Most assumptions are not the truth; they are fiction.
4. Always do your best-The only thing you can “do”;
the first three will naturally follow.
5. B
Shellie
Apr 22, 2013 Shellie rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
As far as "Better Yourself" books go, I only found a few lines in this one that were even nod-provoking, let alone new and insightful. If you have heard that THE FOUR AGREEMENTS is profound, definitely skip straight to THE FIFTH AGREEMENT because it summarizes the four and just tacks on one more for the price of a whole new book.
Basically, the father and son Ruiz team are telling us that life has true perfection before we create our "virtual reality" by putting words, symbols, meaning, and judg
Dragos Roua
Feb 26, 2012 Dragos Roua rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
I was really curious when I first saw this, being an avid supporter of the four agreements. Unfortunately, "The fifth agreement" is just a rehearsal of the initial book, with a little bit of sugar on top. The fifth agreement, that is: doubt stuff, not just take everything for granted (including the book itself). Nevertheless, despite the way too complicated approach, the repetitions and the inconsistency in style (the book is written together with Miguel' son), I still give it 5 stars.

I live by
Oct 13, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
It is a good book to make you evaluate your life and get rid of needless worry. Basically, it is saying your life can be anything you make it. Just look at things in the light you want to have it. The 5th Agreement is the follow up to The 4th Agreement. All are good points, but I would just skip to this book because he goes over everything from the 1st book in some detail, but adds the 5th agreement which is doubt. I think that for me that is the most meaningful one. It is something that is hard ...more
Jeff Maziarek
Mar 08, 2010 Jeff Maziarek rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. Although there is some repeat of information from Ruiz's book "The Four Agreements," there is also a lot of new and very insightful content. As such, I highly recommend The Fifth Agreement as a spiritual growth resource. Here's one of my favorite passages:

"Let’s say you’re living with guilt and shame for a mistake you made ten years ago. The excuse for your suffering is, “I made a terrible mistake,” and you’re still suffering for something that happened ten years ago,
Ghada Zakaria
Apr 22, 2012 Ghada Zakaria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
Great review of the Four Agreements and tying it in with the the Fifth Agreement which takes you more in depth into self awareness, the unconscious behaviours and perhaps the perpetual attitudes and clearly defines the choices and options we do have to work with to bring about the change we seek, always enhancing the state of awareness and of course in the process providing us with better skills in understanding ourselves and others..
It is the process of unlearning what we have previously learnt
Kelly
Feb 02, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok
***Spoiler Alert*** The Fifth Agreement is.....

Be Skeptical But Learn To Listen.

Thank goodness because the gems of this book are buried underneath wayyyy too much repetition. The symbols you put so much faith and meaning into are just that... symbols...got it...I got it the first 20 times....Doubt is your friend...got it....

Among the gems however, is the call to let go of the shame from your past, both from your own actions and the actions of others, they don't need to rule your life now and yo
King
Jan 12, 2011 King rated it did not like it
I was given this book as a gift by my sister for Christmas. I am not sure if she read this or not, but I am assuming the primary motivation for its purchase was that it had a big neat number 5 on it's cover. That's my favorite number. And that's pretty much the only thing I like about this book. If it seems interesting to you, I suggest saving the 20 bucks(seriously, at that price I have to say it's a POS), and just read the dust jackets flaps. All you need to know about this book is there. The ...more
Jen
Jan 02, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
I really liked Four Agreements,The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom, A Toltec Wisdom Book and I loved The Voice of KnowledgeThe Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace. This book just reiterated and repeated what those books said. I didn't feel like there was anything new.

You'd think that would frustrate or bore me, but it didn't. I liked reading the same information again. I think I needed to read it again, but I wouldn't pick up the same books.

I like the remi
Perry
Jan 16, 2013 Perry rated it it was amazing
I love the book and I love the audio book.
This book really has the power to transform you, it has the power to change your feelings about things
necessarily things that bother your inner emotions, it puts a halt to all the racing thoughts that are corrupting reality inside of your brain. It is helping you cope with things that really do not matter in the real world, all the unnecessary lies that slow our day down day by day by day. If it is difficult for you to understand or if you have problems
Rachel Fleming
Apr 14, 2012 Rachel Fleming rated it it was ok
I expected to resonate more with this book than I did. I found the concept of truth problematic. It appears that aside from objects in the world and universe around us, truth is relative. We each have our dream; you have your truth and I have my truth. However, the world is either round or flat, and the unseen either exists or does not just like objects, so the idea of relative truth is a strange one to me.

I like the idea of each of us as artists creating our world, and recognize that we all ha
Hector San Martin
Apr 18, 2011 Hector San Martin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Neta.... los acuerdos están chidos pero insisto, con 10 páginas para explicar cada uno es más que suficiente. Esta vez se aventaron 100 páginas recapitulando los primeros 4, con las mismas cursilerías y redundancias, y el quinto en las 100 y pico restantes. El tono de auto-superación es insoportable a momentos. En fin, para los que no han leído el primero, ahórrenselo y dense este que trae el resumen y uno más y si quieren ahorrar aun más, lean las solapas en la tienda y se acabó. De hecho, no g ...more
Barbara
Apr 04, 2013 Barbara rated it did not like it
Second verse, same as the first... Geez, this guy must get paid by the word. By the way, if you missed the first book, not to worry, it's all again in this one.

Personally, these are the only words I would have paid for, and they came from the inside front jacket cover:

Be Skeptical, But Learn to Listen
Don't believe yourself or anybody else. Use the power of doubt to question everything you hear: Is it really the truth? Listen to the intent behind words, and you will understand the real message.
Max
Jan 16, 2013 Max rated it it was amazing
In the Fifth Agreeement, the "Messenger" for don Miguel et all is the "listener"--Listening respectfully to the multi-surfaces of self and other and perhaps beyond, to the Angels and into the "non-human" animal and plant realms, and wider still--into the songs of the rocks and molecules. This dictum to "listen" invites us all to embrace the ultimate challenge of the heart--opening to the entire Cosmos, in all of its mystery of design, at last, carrying us far into what we remember as Truth...
Kathy
Apr 30, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
A good review of the 4 agreements, plus the 5th: Be skeptical; listen with respect.
All sound advice, although I thought it was interesting that even though one of the "agreements" is "Make no assumptions," the author seems to assume that the reader is having a terrible life and has suffered some terrible past that needs to be forgiven and/or forgotten. Otherwise, a decent perspective.
Patricia Carpio
Jul 15, 2013 Patricia Carpio rated it did not like it
Fluff. And blah blah blah. More fluff. Even more blah blah blah. Meh.

I felt like this was a self-mastery for dummies book. Put in only the simplest of terms, using pithy and effusive language. I had a hard time with this one.

Why are so many self-help books so fluffy and insubstantial? Give me something meaty to sink my teeth into and actually work on self-HELP! Ugh.
Sassy C
Mar 03, 2016 Sassy C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-best
Great life message and guides! It's an easy read and the agreements ring so profound yet seem to be common sense. If practiced I feel that the agreements can change your perspective and life in profound ways.

- "If you can see yourself as an artist, and you can see that your life is your own creation, then why not create the most beautiful story for yourself?"

- "Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves."

- “God is life. God is life in action. The best way to say, “I
Ray
May 06, 2013 Ray rated it really liked it
As a fan of the 4 agreements, I found the 5 agreements a good companion but not a replacement. It could and should have been released as a stand alone!

I was lucky enough to find this book in a friends house around the time of reading the Four Agreements. The book's explanation of the Four Agreements just derailed me further, I think.
The new explanation of the 4 agreements in this book are not as clear or as profound.

However the author describes these agreements as gifts, and I couldn't agree m
Debby
Jan 15, 2015 Debby rated it really liked it
Having read and benefited from The Four Agreements, I was eager to find out what the fifth one was, and I was not disappointed. Part of this book is a review of the first four agreements, but I didn't feel like it was a waste to have already read the earlier book; in fact, I had just reread it within the past month, and the review in this one felt like it hit the agreements from a different angle that deepened my insights, so personally, I think it's beneficial to read both. As in the earlier bo ...more
Christine Fay
Mar 06, 2015 Christine Fay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Life-changing. Read it.
Melissa
May 13, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: stress-happiness
While a lot of people might suggest skipping reading The Four Agreements and heading straight to this book, I disagree. I think a lot of valuable insight can be gained from relearning the four agreements. Part II of the book, which focused on the fifth agreement, confused me at first. It wasn't until the end of the book that I started to grasp the point the authors were trying to get across, so after I finished, I went back and reread the first half of Part II. Doing so helped me understand the ...more
Jatin Batra
Jul 12, 2016 Jatin Batra rated it did not like it
I adored the part 1 of the book (The four agreements). It was so simple yet so effective which led me to explore the fifth agreement I started reading the book a couple of times before and I hated it ( No euphemisms here , sorry). I thought may be it was the surroundings I was reading it in or may be the timings were wrong (reading after work) .But no , the book is to pathetic to read. And this is coming after 5 chapters ( approx. 55 minutes which is about 34% of the book's total reading time)

A
Pam Mcmahon
Sep 28, 2014 Pam Mcmahon rated it liked it
I concluded reading this book one day before joining in a family gathering, at which, uncharacteristic for me, I took the bait in an argument with another person on a social issue. This is not to say that I never "take the bait"; but the occasion - being my daughter's birthday - and the other person, being someone I've known for 30 years and should have known better, really made for a fruitless and inappropriate - and inexplicable - undertaking. Yet, I found myself taking an adamant position and ...more
Mariana
¡He registrado un libro en BookCrossing.com!
Lo lei en el 2011,
y ahora con otras experiencias y otras miradas lo he disfrutado nuevamente.
les dejo parte del epilogo
ayúdame a cambiar el mundo.
Naturalmente la primera pregunta es: ¿cómo vas a cambiar el mundo? La respuesta es fácil Cambiando tu mundo. Cuando te pido que me ayudes a cambiar el mundo, no me estoy refiriendo al planeta Tierra. Me refiero al mundo virtual que existe en tu cabeza. El cambio emp
Rosa Frei
Where does real freedom, real happiness starts? In our mind. The Toltec wisdom that Don Miguel Ruiz, the author, explains, is about how we get over our domestication and free ourselves. We are all perfect, or in the words of the author: "Everything about us is perfect, including any disability or disease that we may have." Because you are what you believe you are! What if we are enough, as we are, and the voice in our head tells us lies all day long. Lies that we are not enough, not slim enough, ...more
Anastasia
Jun 01, 2016 Anastasia rated it liked it
The book was ok. But if you've read the first one (Four agreements), quite a bit of the Fifth Agreement would be repetitive as the two authors essentially rehash them in the first part of the book. Considering that there's more than ten years between the publication of the first one and this one, it's understandable why the Fifth Agreement does this. That said, the 5th one, adds to the previous four but it's not anything out of the ordinary to me (considering I was a skeptic and questioned every ...more
Brian Gladu
Mar 23, 2011 Brian Gladu rated it it was amazing
At first is was easy for me to miss the depth and breadth of "Listen, but be skeptical." Only through trying to live this in my daily life have I realized the extent of its application and its necessity.

I enjoyed this book, perhaps more than the rest of don Miguel Ruiz's, because he explores the process of transformation and growth in more depth and with more guidance.
Shawn Thrasher
Dec 10, 2012 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was ok
I'm not exactly sure why this required a whole book - a series of animal posters, one each with an agreement - would have sufficed. I'm still not exactly sure what "self mastery" is, or how Don Ruiz knows about Toltec wisdom. The five agreements do make sense as some sort of life guide though; but wading through the pop new age bullshittery was a bit too much for me.
Todd Myers
Mar 11, 2015 Todd Myers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fast read. The 5th Agreement picks up where the 4 agreements left off, adding the final agreement and truly bringing everything together. The key premise is everything is a lie, you are in a dream, and believe nothing! With this book you can truly put all the agreements together and go to the next level of existence in our world, and more importantly your own
Xavier Saer
Jan 21, 2013 Xavier Saer rated it really liked it
All of Don Miguel's work are gems and this is no different, an expansion of the unforgettable The Four Agreements. Don Miguel, now joined by his son Jose, explore the 4 agreements further and add a new dimension of wisdom with the 5th agreement. Filled with pearls of wisdom, it is a easy read and useful to practice in our daily lives. Highly recommended.
  • The Five Levels of Attachment: Toltec Wisdom for the Modern World
  • Beyond Fear: A Toltec Guide to Freedom and Joy: The Teachings of Don Miguel Ruiz
  • Infinite Self: 33 Steps to Reclaiming Your Inner Power
  • Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing
  • Happier Than God: Turn Ordinary Life into an Extraordinary Experience
  • Add More -Ing to Your Life: A Hip Guide to Happiness
  • Soul Lessons and Soul Purpose: A Channeled Guide to Why You Are Here
  • How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life: Opening Your Heart to Confidence, Intimacy, and Joy
  • Your Best Brain: The Science of Brain Improvement
  • The Journey Into Yourself
  • Spirit Woman: The Teachings of the Shields
The tools shared by don Miguel are based on common sense and shared with such simplicity, that the universal message underlying his teaching is recognized by many. don Miguel's message is simple, practical and when implemented, even incrementally, changes lives.

In the tradition of the Toltec, a Nagual guides an individual to personal freedom. Combining new insights with old wisdom, don Miguel has
More about Miguel Ruiz...

“You are here just to be, for no reason. You have no mission except to enjoy life, to be happy. The only thing you need is just to be the real you. Be authentic. Be the presence. Be happiness. Be love. Be joy. Be yourself; that’s the main point. That’s wisdom.” 12 likes
“We speak the truth because we live in truth.” 12 likes