Two Are Better Than One

Two Are Better Than One (Chrys and Cordy #1)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A Christmas package with two miniature dolls reminds Chrystal of the year she and her best friend Cordelia were thirteen and writing a "romantical" novel...
Published 1968 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Two Are Better Than One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Are Better Than One

Emily
Sep 23, 2009 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: Constance
Shelves: second-childhood
A lovely, funny, altogether delightful book about the doings of two friends, Chrys and Cordy, growing up in a small town at the beginning of the 20th century. At first it seemed like the kind of period piece that's pleasant, but rather blandly episodic, where the girls just have one good time after another: playing with their dolls (and feeling superior to their boy-conscious 7th grade classmates in not being ashamed to do so), sledding, and jointly penning a hilarious Gothic novel. Gradually th...more
CLM
The adventures of these best friends are as delightful now as when I first read the book in fourth grade. I am sure it was the collaboration of Chrys and Cordy that made me think my sister and I could co-author a novel. After all, their effort was dramatic and suspenseful too!
Sara
I read this one for a book report back in 4th grade, and last year I realized I'd really liked it. So I ordered a copy from Amazon.

I'm glad I did. This book pings my interests for two big reasons:

1) I'm a sucker for romantic two-girl friendship stories, especially schoolgirls in a more elegant era. The relationship between Chrys and Cordy is sweet, touching, funny, and all around epic. Their pet name of "tween" for each other, their love of fantasy and imagination and the way they add flourishes...more
Leslie
I read this book when I was eleven years old and absolutely loved it so I decided to see if it really was as good as I remembered, and it was! This is just my style of storytelling with strong well-drawn characters and clever stories that highlight the ups and downs of youth. I also love turn-of-the century settings and this was no disappointment. If you love L.M. Montgomery and her ilk like I do, you will love Two Are Better Than One. I wish good books like this didn't ever go out of print!
Shelley
I liked this, somewhat. It's based on the author's childhood, and it's funny to think that Gram is Caddie Woodlawn - I wanted more lines/scenes from her, to see how she grew up. I probably would have loved Cordy and Chrys if I'd found this when I was 12, their age. They were funny and sweet and I loved the story that they wrote. (Okay, the end of both their story and the book were kind of creepy, knowing who they married, but whatever.)
Cheryl in CC NV
As a girl I would have loved these girls and their adventures. Who knows, I might have developed aspirations to write, because the 'novel' they wrote was so much fun. I have to be honest, though, and say that there isn't much depth or complexity, or relevance to the modern child, in the book, and I just can't give it the stars I would have then.
Kylie
While I don't remember much of the story, I do remember absolutely loving this book as a kid. I searched for it on Goodreads but really didn't expect to find it...yet here it is.
Naomi
Fifteen men on the dead man's chest- Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!
Audrey
This book was darling. It really did remind me a bit of Betsy-Tacy (which several other reviewers have commented on as well). The "Merry Widow Waltz" is even mentioned! I really related to Chrys and Cordy: they are writing a novel, still enjoy playing with dolls (even at 12), are rather precocious, aren't really into boys. . . . Basically, they are the friends I would've loved to have in real life as a kid (and now)!

The concept of the book is so simple that I was worried that this might be dull...more
Sharri
I picked this up because it's written by the author of Caddie Woodlawn, one of my all-time fave girl books. While this one didn't disappoint, I still like Caddie better.

"Two Are Better Than One" tells the story of two best friends, Chrys and Cordy, in seventh grade who live in a college town in Idaho in the early 1900s. The best friend details are spot-on and reminded me of my own girlhood -- best friends so involved in their imaginative play (in the book, it's dolls and writing novels; for me a...more
Thank you, Google and the library, for helping me find this half-remembered book. Cordelia and Chrystal are twelve and torn between childhood and adulthood. I was the kid who loved dolls and was indifferent to boys well after my classmates, so I related to their emotions. At the same time, this took place in the 1930s (I think, based on the hat fashions), so some elements do seem dated to me--I imagine a modern kid would have a harder time.
Liz
I was thrilled to discover a cache of Carol Ryrie Brink books at my local library. I loved Caddie Woodlawn as a girl, enjoyed this book, and look forward to reading more of Brink's stories. The character Chrystal has a lot in common with the author. She's an orphan raised in a small Idaho town by her aunt and grandmother (who, in turn, was the model for Caddie Woodlawn).
Aimee
I LOVE this book. It portrays true friendship, and is a good read throughout Cordy and Chrys' adventures. I had tried reading it much younger, and got bored, but now I can see that Two Are Better Than One is a great book.
Heidi
Lovely story of best friends in 1900. The chapters of the adventure story the girls are writing are a real treat and the peroid details of life at the turn of the last century make for a very enjoyable read.
Margali
Not as well-know as Brink's Caddie Woodlawn, but my best friend and I *loved* this book. We were also two best friends with active imaginations, and the friendship portrayed here rang very true to us.
Sandy
This was my very favorite book when I was in grade school. I really need to read it again.
iLa
iLa marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Priscilla Grace
Priscilla Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Eva Schon
Eva Schon marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Dawnita Fogleman
Dawnita Fogleman marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Born Caroline Ryrie, American author of over 30 juvenile and adult books. Her novel Caddie Woodlawn won the 1936 Newbery Medal.

Brink was orphaned by age 8 and raised by her maternal grandmother, the model for Caddie Woodlawn. She started writing for her school newspapers and continued that in college. She attended the University of Idaho for three years before transferring to the University of Cal...more
More about Carol Ryrie Brink...
Caddie Woodlawn Caddie Woodlawn's Family Baby Island The Pink Motel Winter Cottage