Start by marking “Escape: Children of the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Escape: Children of the Holocaust

Escape: Children of the Holocaust

This book features seven amazing true stories of brave boys and girls who escaped from the clutches of the Nazis during the Holocaust. Their compelling accounts are based on exclusive, personal interviews with the survivors. Using real names, dates and places, these stories are factual versions of their recollections.

You will read how a brave teenage boy who was shot by a
Published March 1st 2011 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape

Rose Goodwin
As I looked for books on this subject, I wondered if there was one that older elementary children might read that would be appropriate. The author did a great job taking down these true stories and not being too graphic, but still portray a time in history that should not be forgotten. The stories show a strength and courage to stand up for your faith and keep your humanity while others try to take it away from you. It is nonfiction, but so grievous that you cannot fathom what these seven differ ...more
Julie wright
Jan 11, 2011 Julie wright rated it really liked it
Sad stories because they are true. Thank you Sav for giving me this book from your book fair. WW11 intrigues me!
Apr 29, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
This book by far has changed my mind made me get intrested in reading again!!!! this book if you get it will blow your mind away on how people in the holocaust had to suffer trew thier struggle. it is a non fiction book and it has stories inside of the people (kids) that where between the ages of third teen and seventh teen and in there point of view it showed how family members from them where shot down or worked to death. when i was reading this i got really sorry because the story of eddy rem ...more
May 02, 2013 Santos rated it it was amazing
March 2011
Although this is written for kids, it's not really subject matter for kids. At least not any as young as mine. Rosa became interested in the Holocaust when we were at the musuem in DC last summer. She discovered this book and really wanted to read it/hear it, but when she had a nightmare about it, I decided that was enough for now. Maybe we'll continue when she's older. The stories are definitely interesting, but also graphic, disturbing, and heartbreaking. True to life!

October 2012
Sep 03, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing
This book is non-fiction (and not historical fiction), and there are seven true stories of how people survived the Holocaust. Even though many of the historical fiction books I've read truthfully describe how life was for survivors, Allan Zullo does not gloss over anything!

Because this book goes into more detail than I am used to, I was only able to read one story a day. It's not because I felt that the book was horrible.....I read the book slowly because I found it disgusting that Hitler (and
Nick Alexander
Dec 16, 2013 Nick Alexander rated it really liked it
You are 13 years old in 1940 and you and your family are Jewish people living in Germany! You have heard horrifying and disturbing stories of Nazies kicking down doors and destroying every Jewish man , woman , child they come across! You are terrified of that possible fate so your family decides to leave everything you have and seek refuge in an allied country.But it could be too late the German soldiers are near but it is your only option. ESCAPE!
The book Escape Tales of the Holocaust tells st
Dana Clinton
Jul 16, 2015 Dana Clinton rated it liked it
Still working on the public library challenge: this bingo square was labelled "Search Escape in the catalog and choose a book from the list." Well, the list was very long! My first choice was already checked out, so I went with Escape: Children of the Holocaust by Allan Zullo, a Scholastic book for young readers. I have read several very large books already for this challenge, so I wanted a shorter one! I also really really like young adult books, and of course I have read tons about the Holocau ...more
Dec 13, 2012 Tanner.m rated it really liked it
Escape children of the Holocoust
Non fiction

pages: 192
ESCAPE is about children in the holocoust and there amazing escapes and the hiding from The Germans. One of the stories was about a boy who got shot at in a death march and he got shot in the leg but didn't even notice because he was so traumatized after seeing his mother die. In another storie a girl is a bout to be exicuted but gets saved by an old friend who machine gunned the Germans down so that see could escape. One if my favorite storie
Dec 15, 2015 Jimmy rated it it was ok
"Escape" by Allan Zullo is a book about the Holocaust and some kids that lived to tell people about it and what happened to them. There are a few different stories about the cruel things that the Nazis did to the Jews.

This book is not what I expected and I really did not enjoy it at all because the story kept changing from one story to another. It was very confusing sometimes and sometimes I really wanted to keep on reading about the one story I was on and it changed. So I did not like the book
Jan 20, 2014 Andrew_k. rated it it was amazing
I would have to say this is a good book. Reason why is because it has history behind it and is a true story. I like books that have history and real life events. OK before I go on, I just want to say that I'm not that person that loves hearing about all these gruesome topics. I think that it was very wrong what Hitler and the Nazi's did to the Jews. But anyway, I would have to say that this would be a sad and happy book. Unfortunately most of the people in the death camps and concentration camps ...more
Zöe Yu
Nov 21, 2011 Zöe Yu rated it liked it
Shelves: holocaust-thema
It is a great book, maybe better for children to read about the holocaust, because they are not tragic stories, but survivors are telling them. It will be better for children to read this book rather than "Once and Then", because in the end, Zelda was hanged in "Once and Then", as an adult, I don't even like this ending.

The language is a little bit weird. A lot of nouns are used as verbs, sometimes I see a bit German grammar in it as well as some words rarely used in books. Well, in general, it
Oct 01, 2014 Abby rated it really liked it
This book has multiple stories of children in the Holocaust. It shows individual's experiences and what their life was in the Holocaust. Every story shows a different situation, whether in a concentration camp or in hiding. This book is a view into the lives of children during this tragic time.

I personally really enjoyed this book and liked learning about different kids experiences. I also liked that after each story they told what that person was doing now and what their life is like. I would r
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!
This book is one of the books that I really suggest to anyone who likes to read about the Holocaust. I thought it was really sad but at the end of each chapter the book really surprises you. I think you should read this book because it tells you a lot about history and what went on before we were even born.

This book is one of my favorite Holocaust books. It tells true stories about what actually happened to people. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to read about the Holo
Jun 01, 2015 Savannah rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I've never experienced reading a book that I honestly couldn't put down. I loved how the author not only had one story and situation it had many different kids an stories behind each kid. This book not only showed their lives in the camp but their lives before anything started in their countries. This is a book that honesty will tear at your heart strings but will put a image in your head that will make you remember and realize the importance of having knowledge of what ...more
Jan 15, 2012 Autumn rated it liked it
This book is versy infoming. Its not like most books. It's not like them because it is set up that you are one person and it tells there story. It has a lot of different peoples storys in it to. You will have to get used to reading as if you are the person and you are seeing it through there eyes. It has alot of good storys. Some of the make you wonder if they are going to survie or not. It makes you relize even more how nasty the holocaust was.
Mar 01, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Audience: This book would work for both boys and girls, but it would have to be with 5th graders or higher.

Appeal: Truth. This book is full of truth and would get children drawn in from the beginning because they would stop to think if they could survive those trials at their age.

Application: The book would work very well with a social studies lesson plan or during reading period. So many different lessons can be learned from these words.
Apr 22, 2015 Erica rated it it was amazing
This book tells the tales of children's experiences during World War 2 when they were capture or while they were hiding. Some of the stories talk about the concentration camps, being separated from their family, and the overall hardship. Some stories tell what their life was like before Hitler began taking the Jews. The book may have dialogue but the book based on the interviews of children who survived the Holocaust.
Sep 20, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
This is seven true stories of children who lived through the Holocaust. Each chapter is a new child's account. I cried through the whole book. These people are amazing. Don't think I'd ever read it again. Because its so short the accounts are fast and there is little relief from the horrors the kids faced. In longer accounts there's more room for positive experiences as well. It is a children's book and is a quick read for an adult, but not one I'd ever reread.
This was a good book. It is written for children and the stories are short. Each survivor's experience is different so it is interesting to hear how different countries received similar and different experiences. But all were horrible, full of the will to live and be with family, over coming unbelievable odds, pure luck, hate from Germans and worst of all I think, neighbors and friends. I'm so glad that those who survived share their remarkable stories with others.
Feb 21, 2012 Abbie rated it it was amazing
Escape was a great book about the halocaust. These are amazing stories about children during World war two. Their stuggles and efforts to survive. They never lost hope. Hopefuly an event like this will never happen again. This is agreat non-fiction and I would highly rcomend it. My favorite story is Judy's. She had come so close to death and was incredibly brave. A theme in this book is good vs. evil or death. Escape is a good read.
Sadie Camp
Apr 23, 2015 Sadie Camp rated it really liked it
This book had very tragic stories about individual experiences in the Holocaust. The children had gruesome experiences, but it teaches people how brutally they were treated in that time period. I enjoyed the book though because it was interesting. I would recommend this book to people who want to learn about the Holocaust.
Mz.Elma Maria Coffer
Oct 09, 2012 Mz.Elma Maria Coffer rated it it was amazing
it was educational and i told meh about how hitler did the jewels and sad and i began to cry when the children were telling their story THANK GOODNESS FOR THE RUSSIANS DURING THE TIME THEY WERE AT WAR WITH THE RUSSIANS SORRY FOR ALL THOOSE CHILDREN WHO LOST THERE LIVES AND THEIR FAMILYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kody Martin
Sep 13, 2011 Kody Martin rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a good book it was easily one of my favorites.
It is not the type of book that tells about one person it is telling about several people that have survived the Holocaust as kids.
This book describes in great detail what the Germans do to the Jews it was kinda disturbing what they made them do.
Makayla Peterson
May 12, 2011 Makayla Peterson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book has many stories of some of the Holocaust survivors. My favorite stories have been told by Alicia Jurman and Eddie Weinstein. 14 year old Alicia has been captured and is to be killed by Nazis. Is it too late to escape? 15 year old Eddie faces certain death in Treblinka camp. Can he break out to Freedom?
Apr 10, 2011 Duane rated it really liked it
Meant for preteen and up readers, this book takes each chapter and retells the story of survival, tragedy, and determination for Jews as they went through the Holocaust. The stories are graphic, but considering the subject matter, that only makes sense. I do wish that photos could have been included.
Gina Monahan
Jun 11, 2014 Gina Monahan rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book of survial. I can't believe what people went through during the Holocaust. Its sickening. I chose this book not because i wanted to exactly read it, but i knew it was extremely important to learn about history. As a wise person once said, we must educate ourselves abou the horrors of the past so it can not happen again. This book was amzing. I recomend it.
Sean boggess
Sep 24, 2010 Sean boggess is currently reading it
I really enjoyed the book "Escape Children of the Holocaust", for a lot of reasons. there isn't a main character because each chapter has a different character. The book is about these children who have escaped the Nazis in Germany and other Nazi occupied areas. If you get the chance you should read it.
Moussa Niang
Aug 21, 2012 Moussa Niang rated it it was amazing
I have this book in 2011 and reread it again in 2012 to better understand how thw nazi system was evil and how terrible the suffering of Jewish people because of ethnical origin and religion.

Irecommend this book to every single student because it exposes evil, bias toward jews who did not do any crimes but just being Jews.
Sep 20, 2012 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwii, 2012
So, I know this book is for young readers, but I don't care. I love stories on the Holocaust, and while this was a very quick read, it was interesting to hear some individual stories. It still brings back their struggle, and a great(great as in large, not awesome.) point in history.
  • Destined to Live:  A True Story of a Child in the Holocaust
  • I Am a Star: Child of the Holocaust
  • The Hidden Girl: A True Story of the Holocaust
  • The Girl Who Survived: A True Story of the Holocaust
  • We Remember the Holocaust
  • Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: A new history in the words of the men and women who survived
  • The Pages In Between: A Holocaust Legacy of Two Families, One Home
  • Bitter Freedom: Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor
  • Dry Tears: The Story of a Lost Childhood
  • The Boy: A Holocaust Story
  • Here There Is No Why
  • This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz
  • Auschwitz
  • I Shall Live: Surviving the Holocaust Against All Odds
Allan Zullo is an American non-fiction writer. He is the author or co-author of more than eighty paperbacks for adults and children.

A native of Rockford, Illinois, Zullo graduated from Northern Illinois University in 1969 with a degree in journalism. His books include The Baseball Hall of Shame and Baseball Confidential (both co-written with Bruce Nash), A Boomer's Guide to Grandparenting (co-writ
More about Allan Zullo...