Start by marking “Becoming Us” as Want to Read:
Becoming Us

Becoming Us

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Zac Mitchell and Bryce Tellier were best friends for the first two years of college, but things got complicated their junior year. Their senior year isn't looking to get any easier. Zac is out with a bang, featured in a magazine article on queer college athletes. Bryce didn't have a clue, but now Zac's revelation is shattering his world, making him question everything he t ...more
Published October 14th 2009 by Torquere Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Us

Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay For You Romance
122nd out of 510 books — 1,214 voters
Zero at the Bone by Jane SevilleTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonLove & Loyalty by Tere MichaelsI'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal Rose
Best M/M Romance Published in 2009
72nd out of 196 books — 403 voters

More lists with this book...

Nichole (Dirty H)
This book had two elements that I typically really like: friends become lovers & struggles with coming out - not to mention I just read another book by Anah Crow that blew my socks off. So I guess I had high expectations for this book, and I was disappointed.

It started out good. Zac and Bryce have been roommates and best friends since their first year of college. They're seniors now, and Zac recently came out as bisexual in an interview in a college sports magazine. Bryce is hurt that Zac di
Lily
"Anah Crow and Dianne Fox are wonderful writers. This engaging story has characters that held my attention throughout and while it's an emotional story it also has some very entertaining and fun scenes as well. Overall this is a very well written story that touched my heart and has won a spot on my keeper shelf. I highly recommend it."

My complete review is posted at Rainbow Reviews
Emerald Jaguar
Bottom line up front:
There was crying. Lots of it. Bryce was slinging snot through pretty much the whole story. I hate crying guys, really I do. So why did I love this book so much?

The rest:
Zac and one of his room mates, Perry, came out during Zac's junior year. For the rest of the year, things were a bit strained between him and his best friend, Bryce. Summer is over and they're going into their senior year. Not wanting another awkward year, and missing his best friend, Zac determines to clear
Anita
I went into this one thinking this was going to be a great book. It started out very well with characters I really liked. But the more I read the more I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop....when will Bryce's father find out and how will Bryce and Zac handle it. But it never happened. It became nothing but continuous sex, sex, sex. I don't mind a lot of sex in what I read but I do like a decent plot with my romp thank you very much! And then it ended without really wrapping up what happens ...more
Amanda
An uber sweet, angsty romance about exploration and acceptance. I really enjoyed this story. So much so that I accomplished pretty much nothing else today because I just had to finish it. :D
Sidney
If the authors had a bit more sense of humor this could easily have been a side split-tingly funny satiric comic novel - they wouldn't have to revise it much from what's already written. All the elements are there: big masculine jock who bursts into tears every time he has an orgasm. All too patient boyfriend who must be secretly thinking "e-gads, when did my best bud become such a girl?"
A lot of coming out anxieties for housemates who probably couldn't give a damn whether they're gay or straigh
Elisa Rolle
The story is about young men almost out of college, so I think, 20-21 years old, maybe more, but truth be told, the feeling is more of a story of younger men, they are so innocent and scared of the big bad world outside, or at least one of them is.

Perry, Zac and Bryce were roommates and best-friends. With other two students from the same Swim College Team, they rented an house for their sophomore year and everything seemed perfect till the day Zac and Perry made coming out during an interview f
Raji
I rarely am scathing about any book. But for this, I will be.

There was so much potential in the book - there could have been conflicts, parents being a problem, school being a problem, peer pressure etc. But what translated was a book where there was too much sex (not that I am complaining), whining and not much story. I was really let down by this. We don't even get a good description of the boys other than "Bryce was big" and "Zac was dark". It is hard to imagine the face to go with the pers
Jane
Feb 09, 2012 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Love these authors and other books by them but this one just didn't quite do it for me. By two-thirds through I was skimming sex scene after sex scene, waiting for something to happen -- and it never did.

Too emo a lead character, too unresolved a plot when it came to the horrible father finding out, too much repetitive sex.

Definitely just a blip though; as I said, I really do like these authors.
Chris
"This m/m romance is the very steamy, yet sweet, story of two guys in college - one out, one whose family with disown him if they found out he has a boyfriend. The only thing I didn't like is that it felt like the book was building toward a big emotional crisis that never materialized. Weirdly, that was a bit of a disappointment."
Ixel
Aug 17, 2014 Ixel added it
I don't like to rate books unless I liked them on a second and third reading and put them aside to read again (that's good - 4-5 stars). So, just a few reactions to this...

It's a very physical story in that the characters are successfully constructed through their bodies, gestures, looks. Nice that they were athletes too, good way to explain this and make them pretty-in-body too. I like swimmers.

And I get what the writers were trying to do overall, or at least I think I do -- the evolving relat
adrienne
seriously sweet- and somehow not in a toothachey way. i can't figure out why i actually enjoyed this, because the whole oh-i-dont-know-how-to-handle-being-gay-thing irritates the hell out of me (which i'm sure is terribly tolerant on my part), but really? i just kind of wanted to squeeze bryce (instead of slap him, which is my usual impulse when reading about a weepy boy), and zac was kind. so either i'm becoming a nicer person or these are just good writers.
Mariana
3.5 Stars

Although I'm left wondering huh? Where's the rest of it?
Kris
Angsty, but a great journey of self discovery.
Shaz
Feb 03, 2014 Shaz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shaz by: Peggy
Another one I'm struggling with to review. It might have been just that it's the wrong book at the wrong time, but I have to be honest to myself.

So, as I commented on at the halfway mark, this book contains a lot of guilt-tripping, doubts, crying, self-recrimination and sex. Lots and lots (and lots) of sex. In fact, if you removed half the sex scenes from the book it would be less than 100 pages long... I honestly have to say that there were way too many sex scenes in this book for me (and I can
I give it a 3.5' not a 4 though. I understand why it's called "Becoming Us" however there was just, dare I say, too much sex and not enough of an actual story. I hate that. Still, it was ok.
Suziq
A lot of unnecessary repetition; saying the same thing over and over slowed the story down too much, I kept getting bored and distracted and nearly dnf'ed.
Angela
I feel like this book had a fade-to-black protocol anytime a plot so much as poked its head out to say hello...
Becoming Us by Anah Crow and Dianne Fox was a wonderful post Christmas read. A college coming out/coming of age story about finding that sometimes someone to love can be right under your nose. Awwwww! While the angst level had the potential to be rather overwhelming, it was nicely balanced with much smex and the pacing was quick, clever and provided me with much entertainment. A great read with memorable characters. Get it from Torquere.

Amanda
The intent was clear but not delivered. Both main characters were annoying and the story needed more build-up, I felt like I skipped the first 10 chapters.
Oh. And dont forget. The main characters talk in shortened sentences and cut off EVERY thought like they were too afraid to say what they thought...or maybe they just forgot what they were going to say. (examples from the book: "I...this." or "I'm. I need." or "We...Shit" or "I Just...". It was just too many broken sentences).
Ingrid
Oct 18, 2009 Ingrid rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
It had a lot of things one should not like. Too many tears/crying, loads and loads of talking, head hopping. And still, the story is sweet, I could not put it down. A classic friends who become lovers story.
It deals mostly with Bryce being unable to get out of the closet were Zac had gone out of it with a bang the school year before.

One m-f scene with an ex gf, not shown though until afterwards. I would have liked to see her back later in the story.
Da'ad
2 stars for the hot sex. I read a review once that commented on the fact that this thing had way too much crying. That person was being very kind. The waterworks and self hate are nearly constant and it's annoying as hell. Not that there weren’t sweet, enjoyable bits there. They just didn't make the read worthwhile. Tsk.
MandyM
3.5 stars. Very emo, best-friends-to-lovers story about Bryce and Zac. I have a soft spot for this style of writing (a la Nacht/Euclid and Cardeno C). The intensity and self-absorption of the MC's as they struggle through their new relationship is appealing but be warned there are lots of sex scenes.
Gabi Garcia
I really enjoyed this one, and the characters are really sweet! Just think the ending was too sudden. I was like what? It's over? But a great book nevertheless.
Mandi
2.5-3 stars. Good writing and a sweet romance, but I kept waiting for the fallout with Bryce's family. Which never happened.
Nichem
3.5 stars. Really sweet story, but I was getting a bit bored with all the sex scenes towards the end.
*Nan*
I loved the book but I found there was alot of repetition in the scenes between Zac and Bryce.
Kimberly
Holy moly hotness!!!! Very sweet coming out story!
Sandy Malone
Such a great book...and it was SMOKING HOT
  • Go Fish
  • Wanting (Rocky Mountain High: Campus Hearts, #1)
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • Prove It
  • Boys of Summer (Boys of Summer #1)
  • Wes and Toren
  • Time to Do (Perfect Timing #3)
  • Lemon Yellow: Making Lemonade (Fruit Basket, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement (Rules of Engagement, #1)
  • Soldier (Scarcity Sanctuary, #1)
  • The Zero Knot
  • If I Must
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • Dar and Gregg (Jock Dorm, #1)
  • Man to Man (Hero, #1)
  • Sparks Fly
  • The Trap
  • Our December (The Making of a Man #1)
Under Construction!

F.A.Q.

Do you want to participate in Generic_Author_Event?
Drop me a line, please! If you're looking for a book for donation or a blog post from me, I'm usually cool with that.
Are you going to write a sequel to Some_Book_You_Wrote?
The up front answer is no, unless the book cover indicates that it's part of a series. If there's going to be a sequel to a book, you'll know once I'v
More about Anah Crow...
One Real Thing Uneven Slow Bloom (Slow Bloom #1) Tatterdemalion (Foundations of Magic, #1) Pit Road (Running Under Caution, #1)