Start by marking “Becoming Us” as Want to Read:
Becoming Us

Becoming Us

Zac Mitchell and Bryce Tellier were best friends for the first two years of college, but things got complicated their junior year. Their senior year isn't looking to get any easier. Zac is out with a bang, featured in a magazine article on queer college athletes. Bryce didn't have a clue, but now Zac's revelation is shattering his world, making him question everything he t ...more
Published October 14th 2009 by Torquere Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Us

Nichole (Dirrty H)
Feb 01, 2010 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2010
This book had two elements that I typically really like: friends become lovers & struggles with coming out - not to mention I just read another book by Anah Crow that blew my socks off. So I guess I had high expectations for this book, and I was disappointed.

It started out good. Zac and Bryce have been roommates and best friends since their first year of college. They're seniors now, and Zac recently came out as bisexual in an interview in a college sports magazine. Bryce is hurt that Zac di
Lily
"Anah Crow and Dianne Fox are wonderful writers. This engaging story has characters that held my attention throughout and while it's an emotional story it also has some very entertaining and fun scenes as well. Overall this is a very well written story that touched my heart and has won a spot on my keeper shelf. I highly recommend it."

My complete review is posted at Rainbow Reviews
Emerald Jaguar
Oct 15, 2009 Emerald Jaguar rated it really liked it
Bottom line up front:
There was crying. Lots of it. Bryce was slinging snot through pretty much the whole story. I hate crying guys, really I do. So why did I love this book so much?

The rest:
Zac and one of his room mates, Perry, came out during Zac's junior year. For the rest of the year, things were a bit strained between him and his best friend, Bryce. Summer is over and they're going into their senior year. Not wanting another awkward year, and missing his best friend, Zac determines to clear
Anita
May 03, 2011 Anita rated it liked it
I went into this one thinking this was going to be a great book. It started out very well with characters I really liked. But the more I read the more I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop....when will Bryce's father find out and how will Bryce and Zac handle it. But it never happened. It became nothing but continuous sex, sex, sex. I don't mind a lot of sex in what I read but I do like a decent plot with my romp thank you very much! And then it ended without really wrapping up what happens ...more
Amanda
Oct 15, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
An uber sweet, angsty romance about exploration and acceptance. I really enjoyed this story. So much so that I accomplished pretty much nothing else today because I just had to finish it. :D
Raji
Dec 16, 2011 Raji rated it it was ok
I rarely am scathing about any book. But for this, I will be.

There was so much potential in the book - there could have been conflicts, parents being a problem, school being a problem, peer pressure etc. But what translated was a book where there was too much sex (not that I am complaining), whining and not much story. I was really let down by this. We don't even get a good description of the boys other than "Bryce was big" and "Zac was dark". It is hard to imagine the face to go with the pers
Sidney
Apr 17, 2012 Sidney rated it did not like it
If the authors had a bit more sense of humor this could easily have been a side split-tingly funny satiric comic novel - they wouldn't have to revise it much from what's already written. All the elements are there: big masculine jock who bursts into tears every time he has an orgasm. All too patient boyfriend who must be secretly thinking "e-gads, when did my best bud become such a girl?"
A lot of coming out anxieties for housemates who probably couldn't give a damn whether they're gay or straigh
Jane
Feb 09, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Love these authors and other books by them but this one just didn't quite do it for me. By two-thirds through I was skimming sex scene after sex scene, waiting for something to happen -- and it never did.

Too emo a lead character, too unresolved a plot when it came to the horrible father finding out, too much repetitive sex.

Definitely just a blip though; as I said, I really do like these authors.
Chris
Jan 11, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2009, gay, done, owned, ebook
"This m/m romance is the very steamy, yet sweet, story of two guys in college - one out, one whose family with disown him if they found out he has a boyfriend. The only thing I didn't like is that it felt like the book was building toward a big emotional crisis that never materialized. Weirdly, that was a bit of a disappointment."
Elisa Rolle
Oct 25, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2010 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
adrienne
Aug 13, 2010 adrienne rated it really liked it
seriously sweet- and somehow not in a toothachey way. i can't figure out why i actually enjoyed this, because the whole oh-i-dont-know-how-to-handle-being-gay-thing irritates the hell out of me (which i'm sure is terribly tolerant on my part), but really? i just kind of wanted to squeeze bryce (instead of slap him, which is my usual impulse when reading about a weepy boy), and zac was kind. so either i'm becoming a nicer person or these are just good writers.
Kris
Jan 24, 2010 Kris rated it really liked it
Angsty, but a great journey of self discovery.
Suzanne Thomas
Aug 15, 2015 Suzanne Thomas rated it it was amazing
Very sweet, loving and supportive. Hot.
Mariana
Apr 12, 2011 Mariana rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Although I'm left wondering huh? Where's the rest of it?
Neon
Apr 15, 2016 Neon rated it it was ok
This book was good but it started a bit too in media res for me. I would have liked to see the relationship grow from the beginning, since it seemed like important development as far as the main relationship was concerned, and it would have given their introduction to the romantic part of their relationship a bit more substance.

Also I thought there were more sex scenes than anything else, but then again, they were really hot sex scenes so I'm not complaining (well, I'm complaining a little bit,
Shaz
Jul 23, 2016 Shaz rated it it was ok
Recommended to Shaz by: Peggy
Shelves: mm, ofy, college-students
Another one I'm struggling with to review. It might have been just that it's the wrong book at the wrong time, but I have to be honest to myself.

So, as I commented on at the halfway mark, this book contains a lot of guilt-tripping, doubts, crying, self-recrimination and sex. Lots and lots (and lots) of sex. In fact, if you removed half the sex scenes from the book it would be less than 100 pages long... I honestly have to say that there were way too many sex scenes in this book for me (and I can
Ixel
Aug 17, 2014 Ixel added it
I don't like to rate books unless I liked them on a second and third reading and put them aside to read again (that's good - 4-5 stars). So, just a few reactions to this...

It's a very physical story in that the characters are successfully constructed through their bodies, gestures, looks. Nice that they were athletes too, good way to explain this and make them pretty-in-body too. I like swimmers.

And I get what the writers were trying to do overall, or at least I think I do -- the evolving relat
Amanda
The intent was clear but not delivered. Both main characters were annoying and the story needed more build-up, I felt like I skipped the first 10 chapters.
Oh. And dont forget. The main characters talk in shortened sentences and cut off EVERY thought like they were too afraid to say what they thought...or maybe they just forgot what they were going to say. (examples from the book: "I...this." or "I'm. I need." or "We...Shit" or "I Just...". It was just too many broken sentences).
Ingrid
Oct 18, 2009 Ingrid rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
It had a lot of things one should not like. Too many tears/crying, loads and loads of talking, head hopping. And still, the story is sweet, I could not put it down. A classic friends who become lovers story.
It deals mostly with Bryce being unable to get out of the closet were Zac had gone out of it with a bang the school year before.

One m-f scene with an ex gf, not shown though until afterwards. I would have liked to see her back later in the story.
Jan 17, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Becoming Us by Anah Crow and Dianne Fox was a wonderful post Christmas read. A college coming out/coming of age story about finding that sometimes someone to love can be right under your nose. Awwwww! While the angst level had the potential to be rather overwhelming, it was nicely balanced with much smex and the pacing was quick, clever and provided me with much entertainment. A great read with memorable characters. Get it from Torquere.

Da'ad
2 stars for the hot sex. I read a review once that commented on the fact that this thing had way too much crying. That person was being very kind. The waterworks and self hate are nearly constant and it's annoying as hell. Not that there weren’t sweet, enjoyable bits there. They just didn't make the read worthwhile. Tsk.
Mandapanda
Aug 14, 2011 Mandapanda rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
3.5 stars. Very emo, best-friends-to-lovers story about Bryce and Zac. I have a soft spot for this style of writing (a la Nacht/Euclid and Cardeno C). The intensity and self-absorption of the MC's as they struggle through their new relationship is appealing but be warned there are lots of sex scenes.
Gabi Garcia
Aug 24, 2013 Gabi Garcia rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, and the characters are really sweet! Just think the ending was too sudden. I was like what? It's over? But a great book nevertheless.
L. Layale
Jul 10, 2014 L. Layale rated it liked it
I give it a 3.5' not a 4 though. I understand why it's called "Becoming Us" however there was just, dare I say, too much sex and not enough of an actual story. I hate that. Still, it was ok.
Angela
Dec 08, 2014 Angela rated it it was ok
I feel like this book had a fade-to-black protocol anytime a plot so much as poked its head out to say hello...
Nichem
Oct 24, 2009 Nichem rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Really sweet story, but I was getting a bit bored with all the sex scenes towards the end.
Mandi
Aug 01, 2011 Mandi rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
2.5-3 stars. Good writing and a sweet romance, but I kept waiting for the fallout with Bryce's family. Which never happened.
Eviant Eviant
Eviant Eviant rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Perpetua
Perpetua rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2009
Maygirl7
Maygirl7 rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2010
  • Go Fish
  • Wanting
  • Lemon Yellow: Making Lemonade (Fruit Basket, #1)
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • Prove It
  • Wes and Toren
  • Time to Do (Perfect Timing #3)
  • Soldier (Scarcity Sanctuary, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement (Rules of Engagement, #1)
  • Boys of Summer (Boys of Summer #1)
  • By Degrees (By Degrees, #1)
  • Talker (Talker, #1)
  • The Zero Knot
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • I'll Be Your Man
  • More than Moonlight (Lucky Moon, #0.5)
  • Our December (The Making of a Man #1)
  • Man to Man (Hero, #1)
Under Construction!

F.A.Q.

Do you want to participate in Generic_Author_Event?
Drop me a line, please! If you're looking for a book for donation or a blog post from me, I'm usually cool with that.
Are you going to write a sequel to Some_Book_You_Wrote?
The up front answer is no, unless the book cover indicates that it's part of a series. If there's going to be a sequel to a book, you'll know once I'
More about Anah Crow...