Start by marking “Being John Malkovich ” as Want to Read:
Being John Malkovich

Being John Malkovich

What do you get when a down-on-his-heels puppeteer working as a file clerk on the seventh-and-a-half floor of a Manhattan office building discovers a secret portal into the brain of John Malkovich? Hilarity, drama, and perhaps the most unique film of the 90s. Being John Malkovich, which stars John Cusack, Cameron Diaz and, of course, John Malkovich as himself, is Charlie K ...more
Paperback, Faber and Faber Screenplays, 160 pages
Published October 20th 2000 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Being John Malkovich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being John Malkovich

AMEERA
Aug 15, 2016 AMEERA rated it did not like it
good idea but bad story
Mariel
Jan 30, 2011 Mariel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: MALKOVICH!
Recommended to Mariel by: malkovich
MALKOVICH MALKOVICH MALKOVICH MALKOVICH!

(This is the best review I've ever written.)

P.s. Did anyone else read the early script with Satan in it? And the utopian society with Malkovich cinemas on every street corner? And the juice bar?
Dick
LESTER: Imagine a room full of women. Nubile, blonde, wet with desire, Schwartz. A harem, if you will. Me in leather. A harness, if you like. I am the object of this desire, and all eyes are on me as I speak. "Ladies," I begin. "I am the love god, Eros. I intoxicate you. My spunk is to you manna from heaven . . ."

Bahahaha! Funniest scene in a very quirky, intriguing, darkly humorous flick.
Pedro Cabiya
Oct 25, 2016 Pedro Cabiya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: screenplays
This is what cinema should be about: risk and originality in perfect dosage so as to unsettle and unhinge and, hopefully, transform.
David Breedlove
Apr 12, 2011 David Breedlove rated it liked it
Being John Malkovich is a quirky story with tons of comedic sidecars. I was very interested to see the movie turn out almost completely different than Charlie Kaufman's version. Kaufman created a wild plot with interesting characters. While the film did fairly well in keeping the unusualness of the characters, it dropped the unusual and whimsical plot. Kaufman's creates boring, spineless, miserable characters and when given a little bit of power, are completely overwhelmed and take full ...more
Eli
Jul 20, 2013 Eli rated it really liked it
It was the first draft. And I didn't figure that out until about page 80 or something. It was actually quite different in the second half. It was more comedy. Kind of too much comedy. The main script I think deserves five stars, but not this version. The comedy was balanced in the film. Everything was too hard to believe.
However the ending of this version was a bit more meaningful than the film. I mean, the film left more impression, but this one was more surrealist. In the end it was kind of a
Anne
Jul 16, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
I watched this in cable years ago, and remembered how much I liked the film. Reading it is something like going into Charlie Kaufman's mind and taking a peek into his insanely creative and wild mind. Saw a copy of this screenplay for fifty bucks in Booksale and couldn't resist buying it. Worth every peso. :)
Jeremy
Nov 07, 2015 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
A great script for one of my favorite movies of all time. There are so many little details in the script that helped shape the look and sound of the movie, like the sound it makes when one exits the portal to Malkovich's head. It's really quite remarkable.
Daniel
Oct 19, 2009 Daniel rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite movies, I read the screenplay on a short flight this weekend. I think this was edited down to match the movie; otherwise, it's the first screenplay I've read that matches the finished product exactly.
Saman Kashi
Apr 29, 2008 Saman Kashi added it
Shelves: screenplay

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Alison
Dec 03, 2009 Alison rated it really liked it
Have you seen this movie? I hadn't until after I read the script. It's quirky and funny, a little surreal, and completely awesome.
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Tania
Tania rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Debbie Chase
Debbie Chase rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Les Lie
Les Lie rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Elaina
Elaina rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Hd
Hd rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2014
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Owen Flynn
Owen Flynn rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2013
Jamie Grefe
Jamie Grefe rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Gizella Arroyo
Gizella Arroyo rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Acacupcake
Acacupcake rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2015
Tracey M
Tracey M rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2015
jennifer a hanley
jennifer a hanley rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Carrie Clark
Carrie Clark rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2016
Craig Hughes
Craig Hughes rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Weng Cahiles
Weng Cahiles rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
  • Double Indemnity: The Complete Screenplay
  • The Truman Show: The Shooting Script
  • Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint
  • William Goldman: Four Screenplays with Essays
  • Four Screenplays of Ingmar Bergman: Smiles of a Summer Night/The Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries/The Magician
  • Withnail and I: the Original Screenplay
Charles Stuart Kaufman is an American playwright, film producer, theater and film director, and an Academy Award, BAFTA, and Independent Spirit Award-winning screenwriter. Often regarded as one of the finest screenwriters of the 21st century, his work explores themes of death, insecurity, the artistic process, and the passage of time.

In 2003, Kaufman was listed at #100 on Premiere's annual "Power
More about Charlie Kaufman...

“If you ever got me, you wouldn't have a clue what to do with me.” 24 likes