Start by marking “Murder for Halloween” as Want to Read:
Murder for Halloween

Murder for Halloween

From Edgar Allan Poe and Bram Stoker to Peter Straub and Ed McBain, horror and mystery masters old and new join forces to present a terrifying collection of stories centered around the scariest day of the year. Includes Straub's never-before-published novella "Pork Pie Hat", McBain's new 87th Precinct story "Monsters", and Dorothy Cannell's "One Night at a Time".
Published October 1st 1995 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Murder for Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder for Halloween

The Halloween Tree by Ray BradburySomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyDracula by Bram StokerFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Best Halloween Books
392 books — 489 voters
Love Firsts by C.L. StoneThe Best American Short Stories 2008 by Salman RushdieChristmas Stories by Diana Secker TesdellMurder for Christmas by Thomas GodfreyGood Poems by Garrison Keillor
Samplers
76 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

John
Jul 18, 2010 John rated it really liked it
Lots of cool stories related to Halloween. This book even has the "prequel" to Dracula by Brahm Stoker. I want to find more books by these authors and actually already purchased one. A very nice collection.
Alison C
I read Murder for Halloween, edited by Michele Slung and Roland Hartman, in September, a good month and a half before the appropriate date, but no matter. This book was initially published in 1994 and contains a mix of original stories and reprints, the latter going as far back as Edgar Allan Poe ("The Black Cat"). The highlight of the anthology is Peter Straub's "Pork Pie Hat," a novella that was originally published in this volume, concerning a jazz musician and strange events that occur to ...more
F
Apr 05, 2009 F rated it did not like it
Paperback is a collection of 18 short stories written by well known mystery authors, namely Ed McBain, Steven Saylor, Ellery Queen, Peter Lovesey, Edward Hoch, Sugust Derleth, Marcia Muller, Edgar Allan Poe, James Grady, Robert Bloch, Michael Lewin, Gahan Wilson, Bram Stoker, Judith Garner, Dorothy Cannell, Talmage Powell, Anthony Boucher, and Peter Straub. I read the first two short stories, "Monsters" by McBain and "The Lemures" by Saylor. I decided this paperback was not my cup of tea.
Steven
Mar 25, 2010 Steven rated it liked it
I gave this book 3 stars not because the stories were bad really but because it was a weird mix of stories that for some reason I didn't feel belonged in the same book together. Also cause I was mixed between liking a few stories a lot and then having a few that were so so.
Stephanie
Nov 04, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
aA great read for the Halloween holiday. With a classic Poe story. Some of the stories are great short stories with great endings!!

I wish there was a newer or an updated version, since the newest stories are from 1994.
J. Allen Nelson
This book keeps appearing every fall-- this year much earlier-- so I feel I must actually read the darn thing! The first quick story by McBain is great. . . . . :-)
Theresa
Nov 08, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book every Halloween for the last 5 years. It's become a Halloween tradition in my household. Eerie stories of suspense serve to create an atmosphere of fear of the unknown.
Judith
Aug 08, 2014 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the stories in this volume were quite good and creepy and I enjoyed reading them late at night before bed!
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2008
E.O.
E.O. rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2016
Meisha Mull
Meisha Mull rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2012
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2010
Christi Taylor
Christi Taylor rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Colleen Van Riper
Colleen Van Riper rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Michael Kellar
Michael Kellar rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Willeythemarmot
Willeythemarmot rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Tammy
Tammy rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
faeriemyst
faeriemyst rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2009
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Mona
Mona rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2010
ELIZABETH HARRIS
ELIZABETH HARRIS rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2008
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Deanna Anderson
Deanna Anderson rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015