One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue

One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"The inspirational story of the Japanese national campaign to build the Children's Peace Statue honoring Sadako and hundreds of other children who died as a result of the bombing of Hiroshima."
Ten years after the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Sadako Sasaki died as a result of atomic bomb disease. Sadako's determination to fold one thousand paper cranes and her cou...more
Published January 9th 2001 by Laurel Leaf Library

To ask other readers questions about One Thousand Paper Cranes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Thousand Paper Cranes

K.D. Absolutely
Thousand origami cranes (千羽鶴 Senbadsuru) is a group of one thousand origami cranes together by strings. An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury. The crane in Japan is one of the mystical or holy creatures (others include the dragon and the tortoise), and is said to live for a thousand years. In Japan, it is commonly said that folding 1000 paper origami cranes makes...more
Zi Yi
Susana
a secret.

i read this as a child.
and it somehow so deeply affected me.
i completely forgot the title and spent much time (before the wide spread use of internet) searching for some book with cranes.

fortunately it was found and i do have my own copy.
psst. read this.
Phoebe Andamo
description
I'm starting to make a thousand paper cranes.

I had little expectations from this book but it really moved me. Why do innocent people suffer from violence, war and such?

In Hiroshima, an atomic bomb called little boy was dropped by the US Army. It was targeted simply because it was where the military equipment was manufactured. This book tells the story of Sadako Sasaki and the after-effects of what happened to the atomic bombing.

People around Sadako were kind and generous. Her family was so str...more
Simsim 空
من أجمل الكتب التي قرأتها، يسرد وقائع حدثت في الحرب وتتركز قصته حول فتاة صغيرة
شخصياً، الكتب من هذا النوع يجعلني أستشعر النعمة التي أعيشها وأحاسيس البشر أيضاً، وحتى آيات من القرآن طرأت كثيراً في بالي بينما كنت أقرأه
جميل جداً وقصير، أنصح بقراءته
Tsedai
One Thousand Paper Cranes is the non-fiction story of Sadako Sasaki, a Japanese girl who was two years old at the time of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima, Japan during World War II. This book tells the story of how Sadako grew to be a young girl, but eventually developed lymphoma from the radiation and died. During her sickness, she believed that if she folded a thousand origami paper cranes, she would be able to make a wish and survive her illness. Although she managed to complete her goal, she...more
Irene McHugh
I've taught the novel Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes and I let students know some of the events and facts presented in the novel are not accurate. When I saw this little non-fiction book at my library, I picked it up to evaluate it.

Overall, I enjoyed this super fast read. The author gives a bit of background on WWII before getting into the details of Sadako's life. He ends with her death and the campaign to raise money for the Children's Peace Statue of Sadako in Hiroshima.

The book has man...more
Ape
2007 bookcrossing:

In April and May this year I was travelling in Japan and I did go to Hiroshima. I visited the museum there (which was really quite harrowing) and also walked around the peace memorial park where there are lots of memorials and also the A Dome. There were these tall shelf-things around the children's memorial with transparent plastic walls, and thousands and thousands of paper crane chains hanging inside of them.

It was interesting to get to read a bit more about Sadako and the s...more
Michael Havens
Aug 08, 2008 Michael Havens rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in HIroshima/the Atomic bomb/Peace
Reverend Takayuki Ishii, a United Methodist minister, has written an excellent book on the life and tragic death of Hiroshima atomic bomb survivor Sadako Sasaki, who is known the world over as the inspiration, not only of the Children's Peace Memorial Stature located at Hiroshima Peace Park, but indirectly introducing the world to the Japanese art of origami and the custom of making paper cranes for someone who is sick. A thousand cranes symbolizes health and vitality, "...if one crane represent...more
Katherine
The writing of the book was fine. It was simple to understand and pull text from for assignments. It was straight to the point and was probably made like that because the book is nonfiction. I don;t think the purpose of the book is to be the best story ever. It's probably to inform or educate others about the effect of the atomic bomb and persuade people to show that they want peace.
Kristen
I read this book in about 2 hours, including the hour and ten minute nap that happened midway through. :)

I really wanted to like this book, for the seriousness of the topic and the individual story of Sadako, if no other reason. But although I know it was written for younger children, it felt dumbed down. One can write a simpler story for children without making it seem as though those children are a bit dim-witted. I just couldn't stomach the writing style and it's a shame, because I think this...more
Carol
It is a non-fiction book. It is a biography, of which the first two chapters are spent on historial background of the Japanese society, about Sadako. The statue of Sadako can be found in Hiroshima Peace's Park. Memorial Services are held every year at the Hiroshima Peace Park. There are various establishment at the place too.

For the book, I think it is a classic, a must read.

Compared to the novel version, the English is a lot more difficult. Students are required to make a comparison between bio...more
Kristy
I enjoyed reading this book so much. I am currently doing the show: A Thousand Cranes and it is all about Sadako and peace. It has helped so much to read it because after we do the show many children have questions about Sadako and the bomb. At the Theatre, we are trying to collect at least 1,000 paper cranes to send to the Peace Park. Sadako and her classmates story is such a beautiful reminder to everyone that everyone can contribute to peace and we must.
Heather Buelow
I'd heard contradictory tales about the origin of folding a thousand paper cranes: 1) that it is an ancient tradition, and 2) that it is a modern tradition started by a girl dying of cancer. Turns out both are true. While the work itself is written poorly and certainly for a younger reading level, it was nice to get some facts behind the legends I'd heard. Recommended reading for a light afternoon of fact-checking.
Amy
Hmmm...I was excited to read this-my class has fallen in love with Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. I am planning to show them the real photographs and read some parts to them. But I was disappointed because some of the "true" things mentioned here were changed or left out in the children's book. A BIG one, in fact-one that my kids obsessed over. I hate to tell them....
Theresa
after hiroshima a little girl is dieing from the exposure to the atom bomb, she makes a wish to get better, she believes that if she takes 1000 doeses she would be better, she does not make it but her symbol of health a paper crane becomes a symbol for the world of trying to save yourself.
the sad story of a atomic bomb victum and her struggle to get well. very inspiring
Thunderfury
P_campbe
I really loved this book and while also saddening me, it gave me hope for peace in not only small communities but a global peace. I desire for a trip to sit my paper crane at the Hiroshima statue for Children's Peace.
Lis
A book written for children but not oversimplified or shy of sharing the details of the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The results of the first bomb on one family and on one child in particular.
J.R. Wagner
Read this years ago and recall enjoying it. I do not recall the part about the Children's Peace Statue in the version I read.
Tc
This book was scary, and upsetting. I had nightmares about it all the time after reading it.
Heather Ruiz
Mar 20, 2007 Heather Ruiz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults & children
This is a classic. You can read it in a day. I highly recommend it to adults & children.
tse yuitung
"this is our cry
this is our prayer
to create peace in the world"

Renae
Very sad, but also touching, historic, and thought-provoking.
Adriana
I thought this book was amazing it really interesting and sad
Beatriz Valenzuela
A great book I read as a child. It really touched my heart.
Fran
More interesting to read than Sadako.
Markie Mark
Markie Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
  • First Garden: The White House Garden and How It Grew
  • Light in the Shadow of Jihad: The Struggle for Truth
  • Shaken
  • Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
  • The Book of the Flame (Samurai Girl, #5)
  • Anne Frank: A Hidden Life
  • A History of US: Book One: The First Americans (Prehistory-1600)
  • Eva Peron
  • A Prisoner and Yet
  • The Devil Soldier
  • Coolies
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue Eigo Kobun Masuta Kyohon: Yomu Kiku Kaku Hanasu Tameni Hitsuyona 108 No Kobun Patan O Masuta

“Every war invariably results in terrible tragedies, immense waste and sinful destruction. All wars, no matter how big or small, how nearby or far away, diminish OUR humanity to a barbaric level.” 1 likes