Start by marking “Vulcan's Glory (Star Trek)” as Want to Read:
Vulcan's Glory (Star Trek)

Vulcan's Glory (Star Trek: The Original Series #44)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  852 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Years before he came to be known as the best first officer in the fleet, Spock was a conflicted young ensign, serving on the Starship Enterprise under Captain Christopher Pike. Struggling to reconcile his many obligations -- those forced on him by his Vulcan heritage, and those chosen by him upon his enrollment in Starfleet Academy -- Spock must also balance the desires of ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published July 25th 2006 by Star Trek (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Vulcan's Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vulcan's Glory

Charles
I almost always enjoy Star Trek and did enjoy this. I also like many of the episodes of the original series that D. C. Fontana wrote, so I was expecting to like this novel. It was pretty good but it only featured Spock and Scotty of the original series. Pike was the captain in this one, and Number 1 was in it, who was played by Majel Barrett in the Star Trek pilot. That may have made it somewhat less enjoyable to me, but overall I thought the story was a bit too diffuse. There were two major plo ...more
John Kirk
Oct 11, 2014 John Kirk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is one of the "old school" Star Trek novels (published in 1989), i.e. it's independent of all the other Trek novels, but you're expected to be familiar with the TV episodes. This book is about Spock's first mission on the Enterprise (under Captain Pike), and it's a decent enough story. It's been a while since I've seen any of Fontana's episodes, but I remember seeing her name in the credits for some good ones, so I was willing to try out one of her novels, and I think she did a good job wit ...more
Hope
Apr 05, 2008 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, zenophiles, SF romance fans
Finka
Feb 03, 2016 Finka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I must say, I was disappointed. I read only one ST novel before, Duane's "Doctor's Orders". I really enjoyed it and I expected "Vulcan's Glory" to be even better. I hoped that since it was Fontana who wrote it, the novel would be very good in describing characters as they are in the series and having an interesting plot.
I didn't like the characters. They were sort of out of place, especially Spock. Moreover, as I think about it now, most of them were... the same. They used the same language, wer
Rich Meyer
Jan 11, 2016 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This was actually one of the better Star Trek novels I've read, covering the hitherto unexplored period of Mr. Spock joining the Enterprise crew (under Captain Christopher Pike). It's well-written and there are a couple of interesting mysteries and some exploration of Spock's off-duty life. All of this is great, particularly coming from Dorothy Fontana, one of the people responsible for so much in the original series.

The problem I have with the novel is that all of the interesting mysteries are
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
After a quite slow start, where we get to know the sources of Spock's many frustrations (and a nice allusion to the Animated Series), this book concerns us with three basic plots. All are compelling and all are flawed.
The first is that of the diplomatic mission to a primitive planet. Though the history of the world and its people is interesting enough, one has to wonder why Starfleet would bother meddling in the affairs of a non-space faring world. Any Star Trek fan knows about the Prime Directi
DW
Was looking for something Star Trek to read and this was one of the books at the library. I wasn't impressed. The writing was ham-fisted and both plot lines (Pike dressing as a native and trying to encourage different groups to trade with each other, and the murders around the Glory) stretched credulity. Particularly because the murder investigation immediately discounted non-Vulcan suspects on very flimsy evidence. Overall, the book came off as amateur. Really surprising considering the author ...more
Tobias
Mar 20, 2016 Tobias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lieutenant Spock tritt seinen Dienst als 2 Offizier auf der Enterprise an. Kapitän ist Christopher Pike. Während einer Routinemission entdeckt die Enterprise Crew Hinweise auf "Vulkans Ruhm" einen riesengroßen, lange verschollenen Smaragden. Auf dem Planeten Areta werden Spock und sein Team fündig. Sie können den Smaragden bergen und an Bord des Raumschiffs bringen. Nach der erfolgreichen Bergung begibt sich Pike auf den Planeten um seine diplomatische Mission zu erfüllen. Kaum ist er von Bord g ...more
Simon
Sep 04, 2013 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm...on the up side I remembered little of the story from my multiple readings while in Vietnam although maybe that it not so much a good thing: possibly I didn't think it was that memorable to start with or this aversion therapy stuff really works.

Apart from the novelty of Spock's first mission on the Enterprise, this story doesn't have too much going for it: it's not bad but it's not that great either. It has two separate plot lines that touch only in the most tenuous manner and neither work
David King
May 17, 2013 David King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Vulcan’s Glory” by DC Fontana is the latest novel in my Star Trek Reading Challenge which involves trying to read the novels in chronological order. This story follows both Spock & Scotty’s first ever voyage on the Enterprise which at the time is under the command of Christopher Pike as seen in the original Star Trek pilot episode, “The Cage”.

At its heart the story is a murder mystery surrounding the search for a Vulcan relic known as the Vulcan’s Glory. However, there are other elements t
Terry
Aug 20, 2010 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
At its heart, Vulcan’s Glory is a murder mystery. A good one too, since the likely suspects are highly improbable. And the Glory itself, a relic of Vulcan’s warlike past, works as an intergalactic Maltese Falcon.

Intersecting with the central mystery are recently promoted Lieutenant Spock, whose promotion to the Enterprise causes his father to remind him of his failings as a Vulcan, Captain Pike’s mission to open trade routes on a developing world, and Lieutenant (j.g.) Scott’s amusing attempt to
Robert
Aug 05, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly want to like this book more than I do, but it's hard to do so.

First there is the immorality of the Spock-T'Pris relationship. Then there is the wink-wink of the "everybody looks the other way and indulges by the way" surrounding the still in engineering. And while the person "who done it" ends up being a total surprise, it is rather painful the way Fontana creates motive for his passion. And last of all, the Vulcan's Glory ends up being rather unimportant to the story as a whole.

On the g
Julie
Jul 22, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lts. Spock and Montgomery Scott's first mission on the Enterprise with Captain Pike and Number One. Spock falls in love amid murder and mayhem. Loved it every step of the way.
Gabe
Jan 01, 2014 Gabe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Came across this book recently and I remember reading at is a teenager. I remember it as being one of the better Trek novels out there. As it's written by DC Fontana, one of the TV series writers, its fairly true to Trek cannon. It's a great back story about the early days of the Enterprise before Kirk when Pike was captain. I think I'm going to give it another read when I get a change.
Bill
Jun 16, 2015 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pike and Spock together again!

Enjoyable.
Ronald
May 23, 2016 Ronald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read some time in 1989
Dark-Draco
I was fascinated when I first saw the ST pilot and thought it was a shame there were no more adventures under Captain Pike. Now I can read them instead. I really enjoyed reading this early adventure - especially as, very strangely, I had just watched the classic Trek episode ''Amok Time'' featuring Spock's wife - so this gave some interesting background to that. I also think the young Scotty character was brilliant - just who'd you expect to grow up into the Chief Engineer we all know and love!!
Amie
Jun 13, 2009 Amie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Chronicles Spock's very first mission aboard the Enterprise under the command of Christopher Pike. Provides more evidence of T'Pring being a god damn bitch ass cheating whore. Introduces a really awesome, but short-lived love interest for Spock, T'Pris. Was really sad she got the red shirt treatment even though she was a science officer.
Kreg
Aug 25, 2009 Kreg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tos
Murder/mystery involving Spock's first assignment on the Enterprise. A few nice surprises, and sideline with a young (and talented) Lt. Scott getting into trouble.

Decent story. There were a few items that didn't quite fit too well (including the antagonist's history), but overall it held my interest.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
After seeing this at a library booksale, I felt like re-reading it. Though it's a tie-in novel, it's almost strong enough to stand be a standalone work. If you enjoyed the reimagining of Spock in the recent Star Trek movie, you should definitely give this a look.
Emilie
Jun 13, 2013 Emilie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems like it's an unpopular opinion, but I actually didn't enjoy this book very much. The plot was sloppy, consisting of a few disconnected storylines that had only a loose thematic relation. Overall, it just wasn't really a well constructed story.
John Parungao
Jun 25, 2010 John Parungao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because like many of the Star Trek novels it expands on the characters back stories. In this case Mr. Spock and Captain Pike. I always enjoy books which feature expanded stories of my favorite characters.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 17, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
An original series grand-master of script writing turns her hand to a Captain Pike-era novel...and produces something surprisingly poignant. Definitely more to this one than the cover implies...
Xi
Aug 15, 2011 Xi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt really bad for Spock and T'Pris, but it gives me a little more insight on how Vulcans - not just Spock - 'operate' on an honor and relationship level. I did like the book overall though. :>
Elizabeth
Nov 26, 2010 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
picked up for 10cents at the local library book sale. DC Fontana wrote excellent episodes, so I figured this book would make a nice low-key read, and it was pretty good.
Bradley
A pretty good read. I found it refreshing to have a solid story to follow. =)
Greg Lindsay
Jul 28, 2012 Greg Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
My only complaint was i thought it was a bit short. Wish there was at least another 200 pages with more to the story. Will be adding it to my "keep it" pile.
Sean Whelan
Aug 03, 2011 Sean Whelan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spock's first assignment aboard the Enterprise. Features Capt. Pike exclusively. Scotty is the only other regular who is included. Very well done.
Travis
May 14, 2008 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
KInd of blah story, saved by the novelty of having it set in the early, pre-Kirk years.
Nice to see Pike and company in action.
Eric Evans
I'm not a big Chris Pike fan, but in my endeavour to read all of the original series novels I suffered through it.
  • The Pandora Principle
  • Timetrap
  • Faces of Fire
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Star Trek: The Disinherited
  • The Romulan Way (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #2)
  • The Final Nexus
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Black Fire
  • Corona
  • Sanctuary
  • Bloodthirst
  • Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • The Kobayashi Maru

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire