Start by marking “The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order: 1964-1980” as Want to Read:
The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order: 1964-1980

The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order: 1964-1980

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Age of Reagan brings to life the tumultuous decade and a half that preceded Ronald Reagan’s ascent to the White House. Drawing on scores of interviews and years of research, Steven F. Hayward takes us on an engrossing journey through the most politically divisive years the United States has had to endure since the decade before the Civil War.

Hayward captures an Americ
Published June 9th 2009 by Crown Forum (first published August 23rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Reagan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Reagan

There are few books greater than 700 pages in length (almost 850 with footnotes, etc.) that are real page-turners. Steven Hayward’s 2001 The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order 1964-1980 is one of them. Age of Reagan is not entirely about Ronald Reagan. It is, instead, a political history–at the federal level–of the United States from 1964-1980. It is, as the subtitle says, about the fall of the “old liberal order” and the subsequent rise of Reagan. The story from Lyndon Johnson’s h ...more
This is the longest nonfiction book in which I have read every word: 717 pages. It is also the most thorough treatment I have ever seen of developments in the United States from 1964-80, and how those developments persuaded the American public to give conservative ideas a chance in the form of Ronald Reagan. The book ends with the 1980 election, so later this month I will start on the second volume of Hayward's book that covers Reagan's actual presidency.
While Heyward is a Conservative he lauds praises and criticisms with a fair hand. I was in my early teen years when Reagan was elected President but I still remember the sense of malaise practically all Americans felt throughout the 70's. Gas rationings, my parents complaining about incredibly high interest rates all the time (had no clue what that was at 14 but from their tone, i assumed interest rates were an evil thing, particularly high ones), and the hostages

Two things stand on my mind that
It took me six months to read this, but I finally finished. It was actually very readable, for such a non-political person like me, but I think it would also be very satisfying for someone more conversant in politics. It has a definite conservative slant, which helped me understand Reagan-lovers a little bit more. There's a Part Two which covers his actual Presidency, which will likely take me another six months to read. At least then I'll have the two books, and can get some good bicep curls in ...more
Bill Peacock
Jun 27, 2010 Bill Peacock rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bill by:
Shelves: history, te
I love this book. It is absolutely the best book describing impact Reagan had on building the conservative movement in the U.S., and is much, much better than the authorized biography. This is the first volume which covers the pre-presidential years. I haven't read volume 2 yet, but i am sure it is equally insightful.
Definitely history written through a conservative lens (with excellent use of Pat Moynihan as the liberal intellectual foil), but a good treatment of Reagan and the US political and social landscape from 1964 up through Reagan's first election.

I'll definitely pick up volume II of this series.
I wish the powers that be in this day and age could take some lessons from the Reagan years. Not so fun doing business with the current administration and I doubt seriously we are going to see improvement. Give me a Reagan leader and I will show you prosperity.
An engrossing and illuminating narrative. Liberal myths and misapprehensions are exploded on virtually every page. The first section of the book confirmed my undying detestation of the Sixties; the latter my disgust with Jimmy Carter.
Cephas Martin
Great narrative on the historical events that led to the election of Ronald Reagan. This is the era in which I grew up. It gave a different insight to the events that shaped our country during a turbulent period.
Other commenters hit this on the head. It's more a political history of conservatism during the period than just a Reagan history. Very easy to read. I loved this book.
Geert Matthys
Beautiful writing, fluid writing, biased as can be off-course. this is an ode to reagan if you believe in such worship, for those who don't, still quite likeable book
This is a solid history of the American conservative movement starting in the 1960's.
Sefton marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Nathan marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Joshua Cox
Joshua Cox marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
David A. Gray
David A. Gray marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Jon added it
Oct 26, 2015
Jeremy Zilkie
Jeremy Zilkie marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Jerry Rivera
Jerry Rivera marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Bruce Diaz
Bruce Diaz is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2015
Annie marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Charles Russo
Charles Russo marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
  • Rendezvous with Destiny: Ronald Reagan and the Campaign That Changed America
  • Governor Reagan: His Rise To Power
  • God and Ronald Reagan: A Spiritual Life
  • Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies
  • The President, the Pope, And the Prime Minister: Three Who Changed the World
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • The Tempting of America