Start by marking “The Bad Kitty Lounge” as Want to Read:
The Bad Kitty Lounge

The Bad Kitty Lounge (Joe Kozmarski Mystery #2)

Michael Wiley's first novel, The Last Striptease, was nominated for a Shamus Award and hailed as "riveting" (The Chicago Tribune), "delightful" (Toronto Globe and Mail), and "hard-boiled fiction with tenderness and compassion" (New York Newsday). Now he offers another exciting, fast-paced page-turner with The Bad Kitty Lounge.

Greg Samuelson, an unassuming bookkeeper, has h
Published March 2nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Kitty Lounge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bad Kitty Lounge

Jim
Again I seem to have started a series with the second book, as I did the one before this. I don't know what's up with my library not having the first books of series, but it is a bit frustrating. The author seems to have done a decent job filling me in on the first novel without boring anyone who had read the first.

This sounded interesting & started out very well. All through the book there were some very good writing & some that I didn't care for. The hero kept getting flowery with his
Giovanni Gelati
May 27, 2010 Giovanni Gelati rated it really liked it
Hey, another day another post. The biggest mystery to me once I got a groove on this novel was why I didn’t know this was Wiley’s second offering. I totally missed the boat on the first novel in this series The Last Striptease. That novel won the PWA Best First Private Eye Novel Competition and was nominated for a Shamus Award. The main character, Joe Kozmarski rocks. Trust me when I say as soon as I can get my hands on that, I will pop into the Blast from the Past rotation ASAP.

Now to the nove
Hilary
May 14, 2012 Hilary rated it it was amazing
THE BAD KITTY LOUNGE got its claws into me from the first line, which is the best I've read in a while: "I sat in Tommy Cheng's Chinese Restaurant facing a window onto North LaSalle Street and watched a four-story condo complex where Eric Stone was screwing another man's wife." Loved this book from the first page to the last. I haven't read Michael Wiley's work before, but this has convinced me to pick up his other books. I'll be recommending this to friends who enjoy a great PI novel.
Crystal
Oct 24, 2010 Crystal rated it liked it
Second in a series featuring ex-cop and private-eye Joe Kozmarski, who is paid not to investigate the murder of a nun, but who, of course, continues to investigate at his own and family's peril. It was a fast read, had humor, believable characters, and a good story. There were too many murders as the book went along and then a very few pages allocated to tying them all together.
Adam
Nov 27, 2011 Adam rated it liked it
Full disclosure, I thought the first Joe Kozmarski book, The Last Striptease was fabulous and was completely robbed by Bad City, Bad Blood for the 2008 Shamus award for best first novel. Consequently, my expectations for this were very high, and so the 3-star review is perhaps less-than-objective. It was a decent novel, but it wasn't as good as the first one. (Ironically, the sequel to Bad City, Bad Blood was fabulous.)

This is a perfectly serviceable private eye novel. However, any private eye
Tiffany
Jun 20, 2011 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
I was torn between giving this a three or a four star rating. I really love this author's tone and writing style. I really like his characters and I love the mysteries that he weaves...but on this one, I had the killer figured out from the get-go. Kind of proud of myself actually...quite often, I am surprised at the end because I try really hard to just go with the story as it unfolds. Overall, another great book by Michael Wiley. I just love the main character, Joe Kozmarski. Can't wait to his ...more
Larry
Jun 14, 2011 Larry rated it liked it
The plot is good (with one exception, the personal back story)), the writing is assured, and the Chicago background is believable. Having said that, I'm tired of private eyes whose lives are dysfunctional. That's one reason why Spenser's clear personal vision (except in a couple of books when Susan strayed) was refreshing. He was true to those he valued, and to his responsibilities to his clients, and was clear about why he valued them. Wiley's Joe Kozmarski juggles two women, his mother, a "nep ...more
Amanda
Mar 10, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: must-read
A page-turner with unexpected plot twists. A classic noir novel with interesting charaters. Plus, I love the references to Chicago.

I don't want to give anything away - so be sure to read this one for yourself!
Penny Ramirez
Apr 24, 2010 Penny Ramirez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
Hard-boiled, high body count, excellent dialogue. True Chicago feel, both in terms of atmosphere and character. Sorry I waited so long to circle back around to this author! Joe Kozmarski is my kind of ex-cop turned PI.
Jayw
Jul 30, 2011 Jayw added it
Ex Chicago cop and reformed alcoholic Joe Kozmarski tumbles from gig staking out client's cheating wife into murder of nun with a past. More bodies fall as Kozmarski and his equally damaged side kicks investigate.
Charlene C
Jul 04, 2014 Charlene C rated it liked it
I liked this book. I gave it 3 stars only because it was more a detective story than a page turning thriller. Actually a book doesn't have to be a heart thumping page turner to be a staisfying read. Perhaps it deserves more...:)
Michael Wiley
Sep 10, 2011 Michael Wiley rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Karla
Karla rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Jeff Howe
Jeff Howe rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Eadie
Eadie rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Larry
Mar 06, 2014 Larry rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
Honestly can't remember anything about this book(it's been three years)
Annie Pate
Annie Pate rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Eadie
Eadie rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Willie
Willie rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2010
Jon Winder
Jon Winder rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Denis Barlow
Denis Barlow rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2012
David
David rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2012
Jeffrey Hammerhead
Jeffrey Hammerhead rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Harvey
Harvey rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Jewells
Jewells rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2010
Timothy
Timothy rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2010
Jane
Feb 08, 2015 Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: noir, 2015
more hard-boiled than first novel. liked the softer elements that are missing here.
Carolyne Gibson
Carolyne Gibson rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2015
Oruncle
Oruncle rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael writes the Daniel Turner Thriller series, the first title being Blue Avenue, and the Shamus Award-winning Joe Kozmarski Private Detective series (A Bad Night’s Sleep, The Bad Kitty Lounge, Last Striptease). He also is a frequent book reviewer and an occasional writer of journalism and critical books and essays.

Michael grew up in Chicago and has lived and worked in the neighborhoods and o
More about Michael Wiley...

Joe Kozmarski Mystery (3 books)
  • The Last Striptease