Start by marking “The Shapeshifters: The Kiesha'ra of the Den of Shadows (The Kiesha'ra, #1-5)” as Want to Read:
The Shapeshifters: The Kiesha'ra of the Den of Shadows (The Kiesha'ra, #1-5)

The Shapeshifters: The Kiesha'ra of the Den of Shadows (The Kiesha'ra #1-5)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,208 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Five shapeshifter novels—one fascinating read!

Hawksong
Danica Shardae, an avian shapeshifter, will do anything in her power to stop the war that has raged between her people and the serpiente—even pretend to be in love with Zane Cobriana, the terrifying leader of her kind’s greatest enemy, and accept him as her pair bond. But will Zane strike as swiftly and lethally as the
Published January 12th 2010 by Delacorte Press (first published December 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shapeshifters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shapeshifters

Moon Called by Patricia BriggsCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsBitten by Kelley ArmstrongShiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Best Shapeshifter/Werewolf books
336th out of 1,128 books — 1,703 voters
Skinwalker by Faith HunterMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Strikes by Ilona AndrewsMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsCry Wolf by Patricia Briggs
Were-Beasts
70th out of 262 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela
May 24, 2011 Pamela rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
You HAVE to read this part first. There are only two rules before reading this book:

1) Do not read the summaries at the back of the book. Read only the excerpt of which you are going to read because there will be spoilers and I’ve seen them myself which I regret reading.

2) Do not analyze the family tree because there are spoilers, yet again. To elaborate, you will know who are dead, who’ll be together and who their children would be.

So, for my reviews, I will avoid putting spoilers so you can re
Jmart
Apr 14, 2011 Jmart rated it it was amazing
Holy freaky jesus!!!!!! THIS BOOK IS EPICALLY AWESOME IT WAS SO AWESOME IT MAKE ME CRY BECAUSE I WAS OVERWHEMLE OF IT AWESOMENESS!!!! It the whole series of Hawksong or the serious which is call The Kiesha`re of the den of shadows! I will tell you one thing! You have to read it!

Walking through Borders looking for some books and this book caught my eyes and now i don`t regret getting this as my late Christmas present from my cousin.

You should read it. . .also ps. i would of given more stars if t
Bailey
Jul 04, 2011 Bailey rated it it was amazing
Well, all I have to say is WAY TO GO Amelia Atwater-Rhodes!!!!!!!
You've once again managed to create what nobody in the genre has really created yet. Books about shape shifters are difficult (in my experience) to come by, and Amelia Atwater-Rhodes has done an amazing job of introducing this mix into the teen romance genre.

MINIMAL SPOILERS HERE GUYS IF YOU WANT TO READ FURTHER YOU WILL NOT BE SPOILED!!

Book 1: Hawksong

I immediately took to the characters. They were loveable, and had tangible pers
Gypsie Holley
Jan 24, 2010 Gypsie Holley rated it it was amazing
I cried in book 4! This is 5 novels placed in one very large book. A series of events that take place in order and over generations. It trapped me from the beginning and took me all the way through. Had I not needed sleep I wouldn't have put it down. One fantastic epic tale!

Teril
Sep 30, 2010 Teril rated it it was amazing
I had a late night of reading last night and yesterday and I decided to read all of Amelia Atwater Rhodes shifter's series in one huge compilation. If you have never read and of Rhode's books, your should totally pic one up.
These stories are short and sweet. In each story there is a tale of love overcoming and obstacle overcome, even diplomacy between animal groups. There are leaders, lovers, last chances and dramatic moments in the stories. The central characters are making huge growth in them
Jade
Sep 09, 2012 Jade rated it really liked it
Laura Martinelli
Ah, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, the purple prose enabler of my youth. (I’m not slamming her; look, she was fourteen when In the Forests of the Night was published, the writing’s not perfect. She’s gotten better.) Between seventh and tenth grade, I devoured the entire Den of Shadows quartet and loved them. And then I read Hawksong and that was the last book I read by her until All Just Glass came out a few years ago. It’s not that I wasn’t interested at all in the Kiesha’ra series, I just never got ar ...more
Hayley
Aug 05, 2010 Hayley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Hayley by: I found it myself
Misti
Sep 24, 2010 Misti rated it it was ok
This book is really 5 semi-short stories (around 200 pages each). I don't really like short stories but thought maybe I could handle this one. I really liked the first story about Zane and Danica and wish that one would have been longer so the author could have focused a little more on the world building. The other stories didn't really catch my interest and I didn't even read the last one.
chan
Jul 24, 2014 chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Amazing

I first read this series years ago and indeed I have all of the books, or had since with the years passing I have lost or exchanged them away with friends. so I decided to buy them for my kindle and read
them again. I read them all quicker than I remember getting through them in the past but I still believe that this is one of my favorite series of books. it made me laugh and it made me cry and it made me anxious and hopeful and, despite already knowing how each would end, I fell in
Victoria
Jul 27, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I read them all together and finished them in about 3 days. The first and third were probably my favorite but all together they are still worth 5 stars!
Atheshya
Aug 09, 2014 Atheshya rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, romance
This has been a favorite of mine for a while. It depicts an interesting world with interesting cultures, and an engaging chaos vs. order theme that shows up in the third book. In this series, few paths are truly good or guaranteed for success - but the characters try their best anyway.

The reason why I gave this four stars instead of five is that the second and fourth books are just not that great. Especially the second - basically nothing happens in it. As for the fourth, it turns out Oliza's su
Katherine Graham
Jun 17, 2014 Katherine Graham rated it it was amazing
Truly a work of one inspired, this series (5 books in 1 volume) is a treasure, especially from an author so young! Before reading this whole book, I recommend reading "Hawksong", the first book in the series, by itself to see if you will like the theme/style. However, it is easy to be hooked by the characters and themes that weave together so well throughout all five books.

Amelia addresses some of the most complex current-day "controversial" topics in a way that is easy to ignore if you just wa
Marie
Aug 07, 2014 Marie rated it it was ok
Shelves: re-reads
This is the review for the entire series in this one giant omnibus. I have read and rated the books individually a long time ago, and this is just a reread because it's been years and years since I was in junior high school and absolutely obsessed with this series.
Individual books--
Hawksong - Five stars. Still one of my favorite fantasies.
Snakecharm - Four stars. I really enjoyed this book and it was a solid sequel, although it did't hold the same magic for me as Hawksong.
Falcondance -
~ ! ♥ I rp therefore I am Awesome ♥ ! ~
Nov 29, 2010 ~ ! ♥ I rp therefore I am Awesome ♥ ! ~ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fiction readers
Recommended to ~ ! ♥ I rp therefore I am Awesome ♥ ! ~ by: The bookshelf at barnes and nobles!
Emily
Feb 05, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Book 1 & 2 (Hawksong & Snakecharm) - Both are short books therefore there is only so much that can happen, however the books were somewhat uneventful. Despite that, I found the books enjoyable and left me looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I found the world created by Amelia was enthralled and fascinating. I found the cultures depicted within Amelia's world engaging and interesting.

Book 3 (Falcondance) - I found this book more interesting than previous books. It was also
Stacy
Apr 10, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Overall this is a great fantasy series and I am impressed with the writing, world-building and varied depth of the characters…and I am completely sad it is over.

------

Hawksong: What a great story of war, sacrifice and love. Peace is brought about warring clans through the altruism of two young heirs to different thrones, avian Danica and serpiente Zane. It’s a Romeo and Juliet type story with out the tragic ending, yet deliciously laced with angst, fear, understanding and respect. While the plot
Mel
Dec 25, 2011 Mel rated it it was amazing
The five shapeshifter books should be read together, but considered four separate story arcs. If you don't the story could be disjointed. For me the flow was perfect, following the two generations of royalty and the friends they surrounded themselves with. And I found the situations both unique and true to the world created. And the World was amazing, I'm still spinning from how rich I found it and how deep the history yet.

Now the bad news; if you like twilight you may not enjoy this. It's diffe
Kaia May
Jun 25, 2015 Kaia May rated it really liked it
This book was given to me when I was about 11 for Christmas. I devoured it, and continued to do so again and again. Just like so many lovable characters and the weaving of the story line is a true treat. I am 15 now and I still love this book as much as I did on my first read.
this is one of those books you feel that will be with you throughout your life, like the 'darkest materials' trilogy, 'The Graveyard book' or 'Cloudstreet'

its a coming home book.
Marie Danielle
May 31, 2014 Marie Danielle rated it it was amazing
Fabulous!

Theme: Peace is worth fighting (or dying) for.

Theme: Actions speak louder than words.

Them: Our duty is to be useful, not according to our desires, but according to our powers.

Theme: Prejudice leads to: wrong conclusions, violence, false perceptions, a vicious cycle, oppression.
o Don’t judge a book by its cover.
o Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Theme: People from other cultures are really very much like us.
Aug 20, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Peter
Jun 25, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This book combines five of Amelia Atwater Rhodes books into one. This makes it easier to follow the story line which becomes a little fragile in the last two books. The five stories are linked together and each follows the perspective of a different character, which is a refreshing construct. The main problem I found with this is losing some of the connection between the main characters from story to story. I really enjoyed the first two ‘Hawksong’ and ‘Snakecharm’, but progressively with the ne ...more
Lucinda
Feb 26, 2014 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
Didn't realize I hadn't added this one yet. Actually bought this one at an actual bookstore rather than a thrift-store.

So good! Loved all the characters and the interesting world. I liked the fact that the Sanke shifters are more cuddly than the avian ones. I really loved Zane and Danica. ^_^
Lydia Wednesday
May 18, 2016 Lydia Wednesday rated it really liked it
This book was Animorphs meets Game of Thrones. It's a four book set and the first book was a little slow going but after that I was hooked. I really enjoyed it. The plot was a little weird sometimes but the world building was superb.
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*
So let's start off by saying I am a huge fantasy fan. Absolutely anything that takes me out of this world and into another I'll pretty much give a shot. This series of tales is one of the best I've ever read. And Amelia Atwater-Rhodes does this in such a beautiful way weiving politics, war, sorrow, pregidices and love together in a realistic beautifully developed world that sucks you in and makes you believe. It had me in tears, ripping my heart apart, and cheering and anxiety ridden. Over and a ...more
Lark  KerBerethrou
Feb 18, 2014 Lark KerBerethrou rated it it was amazing
This series is absolutely breathtaking. One of my absolute favorites. Her writing gives me chills, and her characters make me want to dance. <3
Amy Newburn
Jul 18, 2012 Amy Newburn rated it really liked it
So I got this book because I had a coupon and it was 5 books in one!!! Why not!?!? I was a bit skeptical about it when I seen it compared online to the "Twilight" saga. Oh dear. What have I done? LOL I'm so glad I didn't see that comparison until after I had purchased this book. It was SO good. I loved the detail and the character development. I loved how each book built on the one before it and each one was told from the point of view of a different character. Even though this book is classifi ...more
Dragon Queen
Apr 10, 2016 Dragon Queen rated it it was amazing
Shapeshifters is an amazing book full of action, mystery, magic and adventure. This book is ideal for young adults.
Logan
May 14, 2014 Logan rated it it was amazing
Out of all the many books I have read, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this one is my absolute favorite.
Brandon
Jun 20, 2012 Brandon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-books
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! though i admit it took me a couple of chapters to draw me in, BUT still i love that each book in this is on a different persons point of veiw but it's all basing around the one big battle with the different shapeshipters and the magic an all! AGAIN i will admit i'm not one for GIANT books, you have to admit yourselves people it is a pretty hefty book to read.
ANYWAY.... there's so much in it i did have to put the book down now and again cause there's so much stuff to follow
I'm looking for different types of shape shifter creatures to read 3 12 Jun 19, 2014 03:26AM
  • Time of the Eagle (Secret Sacrament, #2)
  • The Nascenza Conspiracy (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #3)
  • 666: The Number of the Beast
  • Assassin & Betrayal (The Grace Mysteries, #1-2)
  • Star Power (Talent, #3)
  • When the Black Girl Sings
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London
  • The Problem with Paradise
  • Allon
  • Destiny's Path (Warrior Princess, #2)
  • Balefire (Balefire, #1-4)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Werewolf Rising
  • Magic in Manhattan Volume Two: Spells & Sleeping Bags/Parties & Potions (Magic in Manhattan, #3-4)
  • Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo
  • Wild Child
  • The 19 Dragons
  • The Prophecy (The Watchers Chronicles, #1)
I grew up in Concord, Massachusetts, where I matriculated through the public Concord-Carlisle school district from kindergarten until my graduation in 2001. The best part of school, from fifth grade until the year I graduated, was definitely chorus. I love music, and I love to sing, and though I never had the courage or the talent to participate in any of the high school plays as a performer, I en ...more
More about Amelia Atwater-Rhodes...

The Kiesha'ra (5 books)
  • Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1)
  • Snakecharm (The Kiesha'ra, #2)
  • Falcondance (The Kiesha'ra, #3)
  • Wolfcry (The Kiesha'ra, #4)
  • Wyvernhail (The Kiesha'ra, #5)

“In a society that worships love, freedom and beauty, dance is sacred,It is a paryer for the future, a remembrance of the past and a joyful exclamation of thanks for the present.” 77 likes