Start by marking “Hurry, Hurry, Mary Dear” as Want to Read:
Hurry, Hurry, Mary Dear

Hurry, Hurry, Mary Dear

This appealing picture book adaptation of a poem introduces the poor, hardworking wife, Mary. Blegvad's charming, full-color paintings are droll and lively, too, as the story spirals to its inevitable and amusing climax. Full color.
Published December 1st 2001 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Hurry, Hurry, Mary Dear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurry, Hurry, Mary Dear

Ruth
Jun 02, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the kid in anyone, and those who love watercolor art
I admit fully that I bought this book initially for the amazing artwork by Erik Blegvad, but the story that accompanies those sweet watercolor drawings is too good to ignore. It's a simply worded picture book that looks perfect for even the youngest child, but once you get to the last page you see that the humor is probably funniest to an adult reader! (A kid would like it too, though). I think this is one of my top picture books ever. The author and illustrator knew each other when they both at ...more
Luann
Aug 19, 2010 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those deceptively simple picture books that requires attention to the illustrations to understand all of what is happening in the story. I love it, although I wonder if children will understand why Mary is getting so angry as she accomplishes more and more tasks to get things ready before winter. Maybe they will, since children do have an innate sense of fairness and can see that Mary's husband isn't helping out!

I did have one question, though. Why does Mary need so many wooden n
Fjóla
Jul 06, 2012 Fjóla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a random pick from the library. (Well, I picked it up because I liked the cover.) The illustrations are beautiful, and the rhyme is good for a chuckle. My son really enjoyed it, but he didn't understand the end. He couldn't fathom why Mary would put the tea kettle on her husband's head, he maintained that the cat had to have done it! Oh, sweet innocence ...
Nan   at HungryEnoughToEatSix.com
I came across this book, “Hurry, Hurry, Mary Dear” in 1998, in the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester, VT. The Northshire is an awesome bookstore that has been a fixture in Manchester for decades. The creaky floorboards and cavernous interior make it a really fun place to explore. That day as I stood looking at the display of children’s picture books, one of the bookstore’s staff suddenly appeared at my elbow with “Hurry, Hurry, Mary Dear” in his clutches.

He wordlessly handed it to me, gave me o
Terri
Feb 10, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is the most darling children's book. The illustrations are whimsical and captivating.

Poor Mary is the overworked wife of a very sluggardly husband. She dutifully hurries through her day to get all the cooking, cleaning, scrubbing, gathering firewood done. There sits her husband in his chair rocking away and wanting her to "Hurry, hurry, Mary dear."
Dolly
Nov 19, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book is a humorous look at a woman's efforts to prepare for winter, as her lazy hubby dictates the chores she must do. The narrative is rhyming and the illustrations are old fashioned and colorful. The ending is hilarious and we really enjoyed reading this book together.
Mti Librarian
This is a very cute book! It is a humorous 'domestic drama' poem beautifully illustrated with pencil and watercolor (I think). The main character, Mary, hurries through the end-of-fall domestic chores, trying to beat the first snow fall.

Geography Challenge: Denmark
Davin Thompson-williams
Good for Mary she was great to put that laxy husband in his place. Also she is truly a hard worker I commend her. I enjoyed the book!
Larissa Langsather
This is a funny book. My girls say, "He is a bad husband!" when we read this book.
Angelina
Jul 19, 2016 Angelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great pictures.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I read Hurry Hurry Mary Dear blind to my preschool class. Always a risk! At first I thought it was a simple book about an old-fashioned way to get ready for winter, which was sweet, but perhaps a little too out-of-date. (The kids were all disgusted with the idea of making cheese.) Then I was like, well, dang, this book also has some serious gender roles in it, cuz this lady is running around like mad while her husband doesn't seem to be doing a damn thing! Then I realized that was the point of t ...more
Nancy
Sep 20, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike just picked this children's book up at the library tonight when he and Abe went to find some stuff for a book report. It has very few words on each page and details a poor sweet older woman getting everything ready for the coming Winter as her husband sits on the couch directing. It is done in rhyme and, I thought, quite charming with the husband getting a tea pot on his head in the end. I complimented Mike on his choice and told him I liked the book so much that I thought we ought to buy a ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2016 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
In Hurry Hurry Mary Dear, Mary is a dutiful wife whose day is filled with household tasks employed to her by her husband. For example, "Churn the butter, smoke the hams, can tomatoes, put up jams..." Mary knows exactly what she needs to do and when to do it in order to please her husband.

Although this nonsense poem can be humorous at times, it is a little outdated as it portrays women as subservient to men. The watercolor illustrations do add a nice touch to the book and can be visually appeali
Jennifer Gass
Jul 28, 2016 Jennifer Gass rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Mary is a very hard worker who unfortunately is married to a demanding, lazy husband. Mary knows how to do everything and must listen to her husband spit outfielders for her all day long. The twist at the end of the book is definitely the best part and ties everything together very nicely. The story documenting Mary's busy days is told through rhythmic poetry. I personally enjoy reading these types of books to children because it keeps them more engaged. In this case however I would not recommen ...more
Janet
While this is a poem illustrated in a subtle humorous way the illustrations depict just how many chores and work jobs that women did from cheese making to butter making, as well as mending. This would be a great title to be shared with children to enlighten them to just how hard women of our culture have worked. Some people may remember or have heard stories of what their grandmother's and great grandmother's life was like. Sharing those stories would be a great link to the past and this title c ...more
Janet Luch
Jul 26, 2016 Janet Luch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Mary, the woman in the story is working hard to get ready for winter. The pictures show her hurrying to seal the windows, chopping wood, picking apples, and other fall chores. At the end of the book, we see the husband asking her to hurry and bring him his snack. She does and then puts the teapot on his head!
The full-color pictures are detailed and tell the story. This allows children to tell the story themselves. The short sentences add to the drama.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Winter is coming! So many chores need to be completed, Mary Dear...while I enjoy the cozy fire...

Quick and witty read for adults to share with little ones. The illustrator's note is a wonderful historical peek into the life of the author (and the illustrator himself). The watercolor illustrations are beautiful and humorous in their depiction of domestic life for Mary and her husband.

Possible themes: Winter/Fall, Busy/Lazy

Reviewed from a library copy.
Cat
Sep 12, 2016 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, yes, one for the women.You'll relate to it well as you get ready for winter! Very funny tale, never fails to get laughs when I've read it to female friends over tea!
Illustrations are priceless! I don't think men or children will truly appreciate it.
Karen
Oct 04, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Mary -- rushing around doing all the work while her husband does nothing. Still, Mary managed to turn the ending to her advantage.

I wasn't liking the story too much until the ending, but I loved the illustrations all the way through.
Marisa
Feb 20, 2010 Marisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great illustrations showing Mary storing the harvest and preparing the homestead for winter. It was great for the kids to see some of the same things we do at our house as winter approaches.
Deb Carter
Jan 14, 2015 Deb Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am exhausted just reading this book. I love the illustrations and remember, not so fondly, many of the autumn tasks of my youth.
Maija
Oct 01, 2015 Maija rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm hoping to use this for a fall story time. I think kids will like it and parents will be in on the joke.
Jennybeast
Dec 31, 2015 Jennybeast rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Hilarious, rhyming, nice picture book. Historical in tasks, good for the autumn-turning-to-winter season.
Gracie
Jan 15, 2015 Gracie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the illustrations in this book and how throughout the pages you can see how the winter is approaching. I like the rhyming and the humor, too.
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2010
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2014
Purple Iris
This is such an odd, little book for kids!
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Heather Schwartz
Heather Schwartz rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Gigi
Gigi rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
N.M. Bodecker was an illustrator as well as a writer of children's books and nonsense poetry.
More about N.M. Bodecker...