Start by marking “Wish” as Want to Read:
Wish

Wish

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  37 reviews
When your entire life has been one long search for that mysterious "something" that will finally make you happy and complete, what you want changes faster than the fashions in Vogue. But that doesn't mean you stop wishing, does it?

This is Bella Grandelli's heartbreaking, hilarious, and seemingly hopeless quest-from her days as a pudgy, insecure eight-year-old in the sevent
Published October 4th 2005 by NAL Trade (first published December 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish

Momoftwnz
The inner self-talk is what got to me in this story. Those conversations you have with yourself before you dive in to a commitment with a huge "Yes". Those arguements and cajoling and screaming scenes inside your head and heart before you open your mouth and deny yourself what you really want but are afraid to admit to.

That is what i got from "Wish". You can see train wrecks that will happen at the next curve and are hopeless to stop them, so you just ride the coattails and hope for the best for
Lisa
I so wanted to enjoy this one, but it never appealed to me. I found myself bored with the main character's romantic trials and irritated by the frequent celebrity references. I actually read "When I Forgot" by Elina Hirvonen during one of my "breaks" from this one and found it to be a similar story line, but much more realistic, deeper in substance, and much more enjoyable.
Jamie
Wish is a book I re-read almost every year. It's unique in that the book is in a quick-fun-read format of flashbacks and journal entries, but some of the material is surprisingly heavy.

Bella is easy to relate to because she, like every teen, just wants to fit in. She clearly blames her family issues for coloring her personality one shade too dark to be carefree like the popular girls she desperately wants to be. Her family problems give depth to what may otherwise be considered an outwardly sha
LIVE.LOVE.READ
Melina Gerosa Bellows erzählt die Geschichte von Bella und ihrem autistischen Zwillingsbruder. Zum ersten Mal begegnet man Bella im Jahr 1974 und begleitet sie von dort an durch ihr Leben und durch verschiedene Situationen. Man erlebt wie sie älter und auch reifer wird und erlebt, wie sie sich verändert. Die Thematik der Selbstfindung steht hier eindeutig im Vordergrund. Und obwohl die Autorin dabei nicht wirklich oberflächlich bleibt, kam es mir dennoch oberflächlich vor. Ich habe keinen Bezug ...more
Bonnie McHenry
Navigating life as a twin can be hard enough, throw in the fact that your twin brother is also autistic and so begins the life long journey of Bella Grandelli. I found as I was reading this book that I was on an emotional roller coaster with Bella as she struggled through her relationships with her parents, food, men, work, and especially her brother. Happiness vs. depression, Bella must come to decide which! Far fetched relationships with famous people could have been cute, but for me fell flat ...more
April
The author had me from the second she mentioned Swatch watches. A cute, uplifting story that follows one woman's journey to finding that "something" to complete her. A twin to an autistic brother, her whole life has been lived in the shadow of her brother's needs and under the proverbial black cloud cast by exhausted, overstretched parents. Full of touching moments and inspiring passages. Ultimately, she learns that all the hardships in her life have taught her something. When she takes the time ...more
Anne
May 13, 2010 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
I am totally overwhelmed by the story, the style and above all: the lesson. I don't know why or what it is that cheers me up but only by this novel I understand how lonely I really am - though on the other hand it encouraged me to keep going and never again doubt in myself for this is the most important thing to be able to become happy.

I am absolutely sure, for when there will be any bottom or low point reached, I will take this novel and re-read it until I remember what I've got to do.
The most
Marci Fredricks
This book is completely adorable and also manages to be true to life. It has been on my bookshelf (real bookshelf in my home) for two years and I finally started reading it and am loving it! It is about a girl who was a child in the 70s; a Notre Dame coed in the 80s; and an entertainment journalist in the 90s and all the hilarious life and love lessons she learns. It would be just a typical book if not for her twin brother, Bobby, who is autistic. He throws a whole new--and hilarious spin--on th ...more
Stacy
While this book has no real literary value, it was easy and enjoyable to read. Bella, the main character searches and searches for ways to "fit in" by dating a long stretch of horrible men. In the end, it is her brother, who is a pretty high-functioning autistic (but still difficult to communicate and live with), who teaches Bella the most about herself. I recommend this book to anyone - you'll be sure to like it and come away with a very pleasant feeling about how there are always happy endings ...more
Tisha
I really enjoyed this book. It starts when Bella is 8 during the 70's and ends a few decades later. Bella is searching for the someone special in life. And she had a few boyfriends in her life. Bella is a twin and her twin brother is autistic. This story explores her relationships with her parents, brother, guy friends, boyfriends and career in her search for happiness. I recommend this book to my friends. I might even suggest it for my bookclub next year even though I have read it.

Genevieve
Mar 06, 2008 Genevieve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Genevieve by: Adonna
Well written in the sense that it has substance but is still an easy read. Being nearly the same age as teh character, I could relate to the pop culture references at the beginning of each chapter. Chick lit w a twist - more meaty but still a gentle read. be sure to read the author's note at the end - but only after you've finished the book. Interesting what she said about Bobby and Bella. I also liked the first and last pair of shoes - but don't want to give it away.
Bonnie
This was a very good book. Unique writing style with each chapter with a list of favorites related to a time period in her life. I liked to see the character grown and learn things. There was an author interview with the reading guide in the back of the book. I was struck by this comment that the author wrote: "What I want Women to come away with is that everything that happens is an opportunity to learn. That's really the key to life."
Cheryl
what is not to like about a book that starts : " I would like to acknowledge all of my boyfriends, from the jerks to the saints, who loved me , dumped me, and left me no choice but to embark on a joyride of self-discovery." It had a few dull spots but most of all I enjoyed it- saw a little bit of myself in it- specially the parts about the jerks- for there were more of them then the saints- just glad I ended with a saint
Tara
Nov 30, 2008 Tara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: family members of children with disabilities, a good beach read.
Recommended to Tara by: Nikki, from her book club.
Shelves: chick-lit, autism
It was a quick read. I think it would have made a great beach read. I loved the little snapshots on who were her idols and what her favorite possessions were. It told a nice story about a girl and her bond with her twin, a boy with Autism, and the affect his presence and her family had on her life. The end of the story was okay , and at times I did find it a bit unbelievable.
Erin Brooks
Wonderfully charming :) It details Bella's transformation from childhood to adulthood as she struggles with her weight, boys who abuse her, and her brother's illness. Her relationships are tangible and real, and will relate to almost any female reader. It draws you in, and I found myself learning from Bella's experiences. A deliciously decadent comfort read.
I loved this book! It made me relive my ackward teenage years and my 20's living in a large city (opposite coast) and trials and tribulations of finding love. The extra fun stuff of celebrities interspersed made it even better. Love the fact that Matt Dillon was "discovered" in her Jr. High. Very good quick read.
Jayme
There is a strong and steady lesson to be learned from this book. I can honestly say that anyone who wasn't completely moved by this story just had way too easy of a life. I wish it were a longer book! I could have kept reading for days! It needs to be a movie imo. In a way, we're all a little bit "Bella".
Jessica
I sometimes had trouble keeping the guys straight, and sometimes when I picked up the book, I couldn't remember which guy this was she was with. I sort of anticipated the ending, but it happened really quickly. Overall it was a good read and I think there was a good balance and length to each part of the story.
Kelly
Wish is an amazing story of self discovery and real life events. This story really captures what happens in life that are uncontrollable. So many people can relate to the uncontrollable things in her life as well as their own. Find the meaning in each is a whole other thing that leads you on more journeys.
Anna
I don't know. I just couldn't get past Bella's troubled relationships with her family, or her failed relationships with her many boyfriends, to enjoy the good parts of this book. I don't think I like books where the main character is really, really depressed.
Each chapter in this book is a snapshot of a time in the life of the main character, from the time she is a young girl through her 30s, as she deals with boys, her autistic twin brother, and figuring out who she is. A quick read, good but not great. 3.5 stars.
Jeffrey
If you enjoy chick lit, then this book is for you. I only stuck with it because the brother has Autism, and I thought the relationship between him and his sister, Bobby and Bella, was well written. The rest was a throw away piece of crap.
Roxanne
a rather fluffy girly novel, about a woman who is figuring out what she wants out of life and love while dealing with an autistic twin brother. A decent read, but ultimately forgettable.
Chelsea
This book rocked, it pulled me in and i found myself getting really attached to Bella. She had a hard life and i was incredilbly impressed with how realistic it all sounded.
Melanie L.
Ein sehr schönes, teilweise bewegendes Buch über das schöne schreckliche traurige Leben - und das manche Wünsche aus gutem Grund nie in Erfüllung gehen.
Michelle
This book read like a combination memoir and romance novel. It was entertaining, but after a while felt like the same tune on repeat.
Jess
This book was adorable and superfun to read, the main character reminded me of my mom in the best ways :)
Cheryl
This was a very cute book. I felt and identified with the main character so much. I really liked it!
Jill
This book gave me the space to rethink some of my observations about the siblings I work with.
Rona G
Probably my favoritest among my favorite book. I could read this over and over. <3
  • Beach Dreams (The Beach House #3)
  • Un-Bridaled
  • Suburbanistas
  • A Little Trouble with the Facts
  • Martin Bauman: or, A Sure Thing
  • She, Myself & I
Mother's Love: Inspiring True Stories From the Animal Kingdom The Fun Book for Moms: 102 Ways to Celebrate Family National Geographic WOW!: Wonders of the World The Fun Book for Couples: 102 Ways to Celebrate Love The Fun Book for Girlfriends: 102 Ways for Girls to Have Fun