Start by marking “Direct Red: A Surgeon's Story” as Want to Read:
Direct Red: A Surgeon's Story

Direct Red: A Surgeon's Story

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  357 ratings  ·  57 reviews
How does it feel to hold someone's life in your hands? What is it like to cut into someone else's body? What is it like to stand by, powerless, while someone dies because of the incompetence of your seniors? How do you tell a beautiful young man who seems perfectly fit that he has only a few days left to live?

Gabriel Weston worked as a surgeon in the big-city hospitals of
Published April 1st 2010 by Vintage (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Direct Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Direct Red

This book was very interesting and had a great hook. However it just wasn't fascinating. Let me explain a little bit about what I mean. The concept of how a doctor becomes a surgeon and the things they have to do, see, hear and feel was interesting. However actually reading about it just wasn't real fascinating. It took me about a week and a half to read it while I was reading other books because it just wasn't a great read. It was a very average book. Instead of telling her travails in order, s ...more
This book should be read by all trainee doctors, especially the female ones. It is well written and very readable, with explanations of complex proceedures clear enough for anyone to understand, and is sprinkled with surprising but apt similes and quotes from many types of literature. Her compassion and understanding for her patients is evident throughout. But mainly it should be read because the author has articulated topics that are not covered well elsewhere in medical training- the difficult ...more
Derek Emerson
The beauty of internal organs sliced open, the obsession with neatness surrounding an operating room, and the hypnotic and amplified sounds of paramedics rushing into a hospital. These could be elements in a horror novel featuring a sadistic surgeon, or they could be Gabriel Weston's descriptions of her foray into the surgical world.

Weston is a British surgeon who now works part time as an ear, nose, and throat surgical specialist, and her book offers a fascinating look into a world seen by few.
This book sounded better in the previews than it actually was, perhaps because the author is an Ear, Nose, and Throat surgeon and there's not a lot of high drama in that. Also, she is a British surgeon and the medical practices there are a bit different than here in the USA. The time the stories in this book occurred is not specified, perhaps because many of the details were generalized or fabricated to protect the anonymity of her patients, but the stories were interesting nonetheless.
I don't f
DIRECT RED is a memoir of sorts about an English surgeon's experiences in the job. It's organized not chronologically, but by theme - Beauty, Death, Emergencies, etc.

What I liked most about this book was seeing the fear of failure that Weston had as a surgeon. (In my job, I might fear screwing up, but if I do no one gets hurt.) Interestingly, the fear seemed to mostly mostly a fear of losing face rather than accidentally cutting an artery or something.

I also appreciated the insight into why su
Paul Pessolano
"Direct Red" is the story of Gabriel Weston. Gabriel is an English surgeon and she gives insight into the life of a surgeon. Although classified as fiction, the stories are true, with the exception of names.

Gabriel gives the reader an unusual look at the daily life of a surgeon. This is unusual in that Gabriel gives us a look at the daily decisions that have to be made prior to an operation and those that have to be made immediately. Not all cases will present a life and death situation, but the
Snagged this bad boy on post Christmas clearance from Barnes & Noble online, and as with most books I get from their website I'm just kind of taking a chance and hoping I like the outcome. Luckily, this was one of the times I did! It's a pretty self explanatory book, from the subtitle alone, but Weston writes like a writer and not like what I imagine a surgeon writes like. Perhaps it is because she comes from an English under grad degree, but for whatever reason, I enjoy it. My one problem w ...more
Als ich mit diesem Buch vom Rowohlt Verlag überrascht wurde, wusste ich zunächst nicht so richtig, ob ich mich auf dieses Buch einlassen kann, da die Kurzbeschreibung recht trocken klang. Dennoch wollte ich dem Buch eine Chance geben und wurde nicht enttäuscht. Zwar bin ich auch nicht übermäßig begeistert, allerdings hat mir "Wir Halbgötter" einen interessanten Einblick in den Alltag von Chirurgen gegeben, der mich nicht kalt gelassen hat.

Gabriel Weston schreibt sehr eindrucksvoll über ihre Arbe

Dieses Buch bietet dem Leser einen Blick hinter die Kulissen des harten Berufsalltags einer Chirurgin. Die Arbeit im OP und der tägliche Kampf um Leben und Tod sind die täglichen Herausforderungen, mit der die Ärzte zu kämpfen haben. Ich bin die ersten Kapitel des Buches ein wenig zaghaft angegangen, da ich ich Angst vor zu detaillierten Beschreibungen hatte und insgesamt unsicher war, worauf ich mich mit dem Lesen dieses Buches einlassen werde.
Doch die kurzen Kapitel laden dazu ein, da
What I liked about it: Everything. This might be the perfect book. But if I have to name a standout reason for loving it, it would have to be her ruthless takedown of the medical establishment, from the rigid hierarchy of the daily surgical meetings, in which residents are lined up according to seniority behind their department heads and routinely criticised for admitting too many patients, to her first night in general surgical residency, when a woman who was shot in a nightclub bleeds out in t ...more
Wir Halbgötter Bekenntnisse einer Chirurgin hatte ich vor einigen Wochen unangekündigt im Briefkasten und nachdem ich mir den Titel und den Klappentext angeschaut habe, war es für mich eigentlich eher uninteressant. Was ist auch schon spannendes an einem Bericht darüber, wie Chirurgen arbeiten? Nach der Lektüre kann ich genau diese Frage gut beantworten, denn zu meiner Überraschung war die Geschichte tatsächlich sehr angenehm und auch spannend. Die Autorin Gabriel Weston hat ursprünglich Literat ...more
Direct Red begins with a surgeon suppressing nausea — her own. She’s holding open someone’s neck, and she’s not sure she’ll maintain her composure. To cope, she focuses on re-objectifying the body in front of her: She mentally recites the coloured dyes from her anatomy slides, trying to change the flesh and bone in front of her from someone’s body into the universal, abstracted body of her textbooks and training. Relief arrives, the incident only a brief lapse in her professionalism and one that ...more
Nicola Smith
A very real account of life as a surgeon. I was impressed by the honesty she displayed when talking about her feelings and attitudes, especially when they weren't the "right" thing to be feeling or thinking. It clearly demonstrated the difficulties in medicine that training cannot necessarily prepare you for and only experience can teach. Myself a final year medical student, a lot of the writer's experiences rang true and it was reassuring to know that the dilemmas I face are not dissimilar to t ...more
Shonna Froebel
This is not a memoir done in a chronological style. Weston uses a themed approach, with each chapter focusing on a particular aspect of her experience while training as a surgeon in Britain.
I found this to be extremely engaging and an approach that leads the reader into dipping in and out of the book in short sessions.
She speaks of her own learning experiences including when she felt she fell short and she also takes about more general experiences including her own view among her peers. This is
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
First and foremost, I love medical memoirs. The stories are interesting and exciting, because most situations are life and death when it comes to the medical field. If you like medical memoirs I would suggest Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the Inside. Its the same idea as Direct Red, but better executed. Katrina Firlik's novel features each chapter having its own story, but it still plays into the general story of the book. Direct Red reads more like a collectio ...more
Wendy Greenberg
A female surgeon's memoir of her medical then surgical training. A good read but needed more editing as endless stretches were repeated. That said, reading the case studies of composite patients was fascinating. BUT not nearly as well written as Henry Marsh (do No Harm) and Tanya Byron (The Skeleton Cupboard) which are similar medical recollections and how a career is distilled.
Lisa Norcross
This book is well written and some of the stories are interesting but it was a bit lacking in a narrative thread and the author comes across as very cold and dispassionate. When compared to the writing of someone like Atul Gawande who writes on similar themes and is really engaging, this is not in the same league.
A poignant, frightening, adjective-filled book of fragmentary moments in the life of a female surgical trainee, as she moves through medical and surgical specialties on her way to sub-specialisation. She shines a light on the darker moments of medicine/surgery and the cruelty the career seeks to place on its participants. Her rushed ending, hinting at her choice of life over work, is perhaps the most interesting essay. Sadly, it only hints.

I would recommend this book for those who are in medica
I am woman surgeon myself, probably thatswhy I have found this book brilliant. The book is so true und beautifully written about everything what happens to be important on your way on becomming a good doctor and preserve your humanity on this very demanding field.
Well written with vivid language but I was worried by the authors concern for the boss's opinion trumping the patient's interest which went uncommented upon
Frankly, lent to me by my son, I didn't know what it expect other than it being a quick read that could bolster my 2013 Reading Challenge. But. It was pretty good. I enjoyed learning more about the process doctors go through to become surgeons albeit within the British system.

A word of warning ... MANY squick-worthy parts so if you're at all squeamish might wanna give this one a pass.

And my only real beef was the quick change of POV in the final chapter ... like an editor had hacked away half t
A very interesting read, thoroughly enjoyed it and read it within the day!
I have just finished reading Direct Red and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am in no way connected to the medical profession and found the insight fascinating. It follows Gabriel's progress through training and acting as a surgeon.
A patient will never know what their doctor is really thinking or feeling at any point during treatment and this book provides an insight. The book is very well written and some of the situations are extremely comical, whilst others are very thought provoking and heart wrench
Sarah Cubitt
I really liked this book. I'm a doctor myself & so could relate very much to the anecdotes. It was lovely to learn that these things didn't just happen to me.
The stories are in bites just the right size and well-told. I could often picture both her colleagues and the patients & they made me laugh or feel angry or sad.
I think whether you are related to medicine in any way or not, there will be something that you take away from this book, even it us just thinking about how your doctor may
There should be made compulsory for those who wanted to pursue in medical or any health care profession to be well-informed or have a written consent before they started their med-school. I'm sure that this book is one of them.

Some might have been drawn in by tv series about doctors life (which probably did each and every doctor wannabe would have kept all the episodes), but does it really shows what does real one really think of?

A personal view well written by a surgeon (intern and attending),
Petra X
Gritty story by a junior surgeon of what its really like working in the operating theatre in particular and hospital in general. Sort of analagous to office politics with real knives and plenty of gore, venom and the occasional sly romance. The author can look forward to a great career in writing chicklit if the medical world gets all too much for her.

Thoroughly enjoyable and recommended to lovers of tv medical soap operas as well as those who are addicted to medical memoirs.
Very readable. Nothing deep, and not as good as the Henry Marsh description of surgical work, but eminently a holiday book.
Nov 25, 2011 Eimad rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: medical student
Shelves: biografi
A biography of a surgeon.well frankly just a little of doctor that can write this well.It is a good thing the author once studied English Literature.This book does not really focus on medical view but more to emotional view of a doctor.We tend to ignore that doctor is a human too and we demand a perfect surgery and else but this author told me how this world are.Are doctor a savior or an executioner?read it and find it yourself.
Taucha Gretzinger
I admit, I expected a book written by a surgeon to be kind of dry and systematic, but a book written by a surgeon with an English degree is something else entirely. I think what I appreciated most is that she didn't try to make this the memoir of a scalpel welding hero. She was honest about her strengths, ignorance, and arrogance. That takes more courage than just writing about your gold-star achievements.
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • Why We Hurt: The Natural History of Pain
  • Hospital Babylon
  • Yesterday Morning
  • Madness: a Memoir
  • Brain Surgeon: A Doctor's Inspiring Encounters with Mortality and Miracles
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • Tell me who I am
  • Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor
  • Hospital: Man, Woman, Birth, Death, Infinity, Plus Red Tape, Bad Behavior, Money, God and Diversity on Steroids
  • A Man Without Words
  • Baby ER: The Heroic Doctors and Nurses Who Perform Medicine's Tinies Miracles
  • You Say Potato: A Book About Accents
  • Blood and Guts: A Short History of Medicine
  • Match Day: One Day and One Dramatic Year in the Lives of Three New Doctors
  • Patient: The True Story of a Rare Illness
  • The Great Starvation Experiment: The Heroic Men Who Starved so That Millions Could Live
  • Solzhenitsyn: A Soul in Exile