Start by marking “Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven: Over 200 Recipes Uncommon Soups, Tasty Bites, Side-by-Side Dishes, and Too Many Desserts” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This companion volume to the 26-part public television series which begins airing in October 1997 contains more than 200 recipes for delicious and surprising fare, and is illustrated with more than 25 of Katzen's luminous paintings, richly evocative of the pleasures of cooking and eating.
Published October 6th 1997 by Hachette Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven

Carol
This is my most referenced cook book.
I am doing my top ten recipes from this book, otherwise I will probably list every other recipe in the book: roasted eggplant salad on page 8, gremolata-ricotta egg salad on page 10, roasted beans on page 68 (frequently requested for potlucks,) dreamy white beans on page 74 (mind boggling good, I'm growing sage next spring just for this recipe,) the whole section on roasted vegetables on pages 96- 99, sugar snap peas on page 108, whipped sweet potatoes on pag
leena_abate
I've owned this book for about four years, and during that time, I've only really ever been inspired to make three recipes, all of which came out okay but not good enough to make again. This book is a little fussy , I guess. The dishes seem involved and I get the feeling that a lot of the recipes just wouldn't work if I didn't find perfectly fresh, in season _____ [insert name of somewhat difficult to find, expensive vegetable]. Too many dishes that don't sound like they'll reheat well, etc.

I r
Tessa
I wish I liked Mollie Katzen's recipes more. They all seem kind of boring to me. Like going over to a friend's house to sleepover and their parents make a well-meaning meal that somehow just doesn't taste right and you can't tell if it's just because you're not eating at your home or what. But she's, like, a big Name in vegetarian cooking, right?

I tried 2 from this book--the Avocado Pear Sorbet (awesome) and the Golden Rice Pie, I think it was called. It was a casserole, and it was okay. I have
AJ LeBlanc
I want my cookbooks to have pictures of the food. I get way too happy when every recipe gets a photo and I'm satisfied if there's just a centerfold spread of a choice few.

There are zero photos in this book, but there are lovely watercolors of ingredients. Not very exciting.

Katzen is the author of Moosewood and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest (I love that title) and I had high hopes for this.

I saved *two* recipes.

A lot of these call for lots of prep and ingredients. Maybe I'm only giving it two st
Dottie
Happened to find this in Bookman today -- actually a hardcover not paperback -- it is the cookbook which went with the PBS programs and I believe the pub date is around 1997. It is gorgeous and I have a list of twelve things to try just in my first scan of it -- they seem relatively simple, fresh and the illustrations are wonderful -- plenty of Katzens lovely art works included. Just think of me experimenting and doing a little Snoopy dance at having found this one. ANyone for Raspberry-Rhubarb ...more
Alice
This is a solid book filled with solid vegetarian recipes. The author describes a recent shift in her cooking style from one main with sides to many sides as a main. As someone who frequently cooks one dish meals (aka one main with no sides), I find the idea of cooking beans and grains and vegetables separately a little overwheming for one everyday meal. The individaual recipes are decent to good, though, so I'm happy to keep it in my repertoire.
G.G.
The uncommon soups and too many desserts are all of them delicious. Some of the other recipes--like the Moroccan Roasted Vegetable Stew (pp. 100-1) and Scalloped Potatoes (pp. 130-31) take hours to prepare and are (frankly) not worth the effort--but don't let me put you off another wonderful collection of Mollie Katzen creations. Personal favourites: Chilled Honeydew Soup; Blackberry Buckle.
Jessica
This is a great cookbook! And I like that it doesn't include a great deal of fake meat and tofu like most vegetarian cookbooks. Sometimes I just want some delicious vegetables, and this helps me do that. I haven't made a ton of things from this yet, but everything so far has been great. I can't wait until spring for fresh produce to start arriving so I can delve into this more.
Nancy
No pictures!!! ARRGGHHHH!!!! Just some hand drawn veggies from the author.

The food in here seemed quite boring, and rather bland. Nothing that I want to cook. The dessert section was ok, but I have a million dessert recipes. Maybe one or two of the sauces looked passable as well. It mostly seemed like nursing home food to me. Blech.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Those of you who have been following me for awhile know I am a Moosewood FAN!!!!! The receipes are easy/ nutritious and VERY tasty (except for the vegan chocolate cake :P

Anyhow.... saw this book on the bargain shelf at B&N and could not believe my eyes!

Check out Sizzling Long Beans pg 102 (love these)
Renee
This is one of my favorite cookbooks ever! It is my go-to book when I want to try a new vegetable recipe. Mollie has a way of creating recipes that really let vegetables shine. (Although this ISBN is listed as paperback, it actually belongs to the hardback version, which I own.)
Cherie
A Oh yum! I totally want this book. Another winner by Katzen -- lots of super yummy recipes on cooking veggies. So, so good. Full of Katzen's creative vegetable dishes. She is an amazing recipe-master!
Meredith
a good book for cooking basic vegetarian and whole grain fare.
Bee
Only Mollie Katzen can make veggie dishes this awesome.
Catharine
Great recipes.
Yana Petrova
Yana Petrova marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Daniel Gritz
Daniel Gritz marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Sunday
Sunday added it
Jul 15, 2015
Dane
Dane marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Cari
Cari added it
Jun 04, 2015
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
  • Quick Vegetarian Pleasures: More than 175 Fast, Delicious, and Healthy Meatless Recipes
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 250 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread Cookbook
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Horn of the Moon Cookbook: Recipes from Vermont's Renowned Vegetarian Restaurant
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Vegetable Love
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are
Educated at the Eastman School of Music, Cornell University, and the San Francisco Art Institute. Although her formal training was as an artist and musician, she exhibited natural cooking inclinations from a very early age, and cooked professionally - in restaurants and as a caterer - for ten years. In 1973 she was one of the founders of the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York, and during her ...more
More about Mollie Katzen...
The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest (Mollie Katzen's Classic Cooking) The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up Still Life with Menu Cookbook