Start by marking “The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)

The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys #8)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,065 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The Hardy boys find themselves in a winter adventure on a rock-bound island.
Published May 1st 1999 by Applewood Books (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of Cabin Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of Cabin Island

Angela Watson
The Mystery of Cabin Island by Franklin W. Dixon is about two brothers Joe Hardy and Frank Hardy and their friends Chet and Biff. It is Christmas time, and the boys are out for Christmas break and have been given permission to stay at a private island owned by Mr. Jefferson. While the boys and their friends head out to Cabin Island for the break they are looking for a lost medal collection of Mr. Jefferson's, as well as for his missing grandson Johnny Jefferson. But as they soon come to realize, ...more
Kristine Pratt
I loved this book - and a lot of the reason was that I was lucky enough to read the 1929 version. Lots of differences - the first being that Frank and Joe are age 16 and 15 respectively in the older books, instead of the 18 / 17 age they are in newer reprints.

The mystery is simple and honestly this book is more a wintertime camping adventure, which I enjoyed too. The clues kept one guessing, and ok some of it was a bit obvious, but the pacing was swift and we still got to spend a considerable am
Dan Kelly
Frank and Joe pull off another "caper" with The Mystery of Cabin Island, a not-bad if meandering addition to the Hardy oeuvre. If you're a fan of claustrophobic winter thrillers where no one gets murdered, but where ice boats are slightly damaged and groceries are scattered, you will enjoy this book.

This installment in the Hardy saga spends most of its time describing Frank, Joe, Chet, their other friend (not the Italian with the boat, the other guy—Biff? Tyrion?), a "ghost," a lost rich teenage
Ruthie Jones
I read the Hardy Boys books (and Nancy Drew) when I was a child. The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Brenda
After doing a favor for someone, the Hardy boys get offered a few weeks at a private cabin on a private island and of course they take Biff and Chet. The funny thing is, the gift comes with a mystery attached, well actually two, one the owners medals are missing and so is his grandson..they didn't go missing at the same time, so the grandfather figures the grandson is out trying to be a detective and find the medals which were stolen. There is a "ghost" involved and several mysteries within myst ...more
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps. Frank Hardy is the elder of the two and has dark hair. Joe Hardy is the younger brother, and has blond hair and blue eyes. The stories are an unaging series, in which Frank and Joe are always 18 and 17 years of age, respectively. In the original series the brothers were a younger ...more
Lynn Hartter
I re-read this recently, as an adult collector, because I usually re-read a book when I pick up a different edition, in this case, an original text volume. One of the favorites of adult fans of the series, the original 25 chapter Cabin Island caused me to go "huh?" a couple times---the fact that several teens spend all of their Christmas holiday away from their home (albeit a few miles across the bay, but still!!!) was the main cause for suspension of disbelief. I remember reading the original 2 ...more
Jeff Bowes
My favourite of the original series. I prefer the original version of the book which does not have any silly sub-plots. Perfect read for when it is cold and windy outside. The Boys solve a mystery while camping over the Christmas holidays on a remote island. A quick 1-2 hour read for an adult.
Gramy
Frank and Joe Hardy and their chums are given permission to spend a week of the winter break after Christmas in a cabin on Cabin Island as a reward for the owner's car being recovered in a previous book. The owner, Elroy Jefferson, asks them to look for clues regarding the owner's missing grandson and some missing medals that he owns. The have two near accidents in the iceboat because of two delinquent teenagers, who have been helping a bad guy try to steal something from the island. They have a ...more
Stephen Robertson
If I would have rated this book when I read them as a kid all of these books would have received 5 stars. I used to steal these books from Gemco. I was a book addict even then. God please forgive me.
Meghan
Really intense and was really a mystery I'm gonna stick with this series

Really good my name is bunn Bob hook look noon diem dude many. good have toot root foot are is
Red Heaven
This started out brightly enough but was severely hampered by a lack of different locations. They were always on the island, or going back to town briefly. It soon became boring.
Joy Gerbode
Another good mystery. I especially enjoyed this one. Antiques, a rustic and primitive cabin, lots of things that grabbed my interest. Nice easy reading.
Daisy
Having a moment of nostalgia. The Hardy Boys are just as good as I remember them from childhood.
Andrew
A good book if you like mystery. The hardy boys did a great job solving this mystery!
Sticks
I can't believe how young Johny is.
Kristensilvermoore
I have no business, as a 34-year-old woman, reading a Hardy Boys mystery. I used to be a huge Nancy Drew fan as a kid, and I think that's why, when I found this book during our great book purge, I decided to read it before getting rid of it. I don't think I'll be picking up another Hardy Boys mystery any time soon. I did enjoy, however, the fact that the boys' friends were named "Chet" and "Biff"! How dated and waspy!
Loren
I read many of the Hardy Boys books when I was a kid and this one stands out as one of my favorites. To fully review it I will have to re-read it seeing as it has been about 10 years since I read any of these books. However, I can definitely recomend this series to any young person out there (or parent of said young person). The series as a whole is good nature, well written, and very enjoyable.
Monique
Poor Chet! Why does it seem that the author is constantly saying Chet is trying to lose weight on diet of fruits and vegetables (Pretty effective for a little bit, esp. for a guy), yet he's till called fat or plump or whatever??
Wahyu Nurasman
Lumayan seru untuk ceritanya....tp karakternya kebanyakan...,
Truly
Termasuk jajaran diskon 50 %...

Sekali lagi, aksi duo kakak adik ini sungguh luar biasa!
Ada saja hal kecil yang membuat mereka bisa menyelesaikan sebuah amsalah besar
Pengamatan menjadi kuncinya.

Dikebut dalam rangka menipiskan tumpukan buku
biar ada alsan beli buku lagi he he he
Rachel Gidden
I think that this book was a decent book. It was a little boring since they knew who was the thief the whole time and all they had to do was catch him. This book would be good for a 9 or ten year old that likes mysteries.
Shuojin
It is a great book. It is easy to read and also interesting. It grabs my attention, and also I get in to it that I am almost trying to solve the mystery with them.
Jim Sampson
A fun read with the hardyboysand thier adventures. Read this in my younger years but still remember all the books. Actually reread them numerous times.
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Wendy Kuzma
Although some of the storyline seems a little cheesy and "convenient", it does make me nostalgic for a time when life was simpler.
David Carr
Best ever of the Hardy Boys books...but only if you read the original edition from 1929...the re-write in 1959 was awful...
Snorkle
This book was okay, I liked Nancy Drew better though, probably because I was an eleven-year-old girl.
  • Mystery Train (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #8)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

The Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 241 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)
  • While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys, #11)
The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1) The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2) The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3) Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66) The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)