Start by marking “Who Is Mark Twain?” as Want to Read:
Who Is Mark Twain?

Who Is Mark Twain?

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  48 reviews
"You had better shove this in the stove," Mark Twain said at the top of an 1865 letter to his brother, "for I don't want any absurd ‘literary remains' and ‘unpublished letters of Mark Twain' published after I am planted." He was joking, of course. But when Mark Twain died in 1910, he left behind the largest collection of personal papers created by any nineteenth-century Am ...more
Published April 20th 2010 by Harper Perennial (first published April 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Who Is Mark Twain?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Is Mark Twain?

If you are a fan of Mark Twain, this is the book for you. "Who is Mark Twain" is a collection of essays and short stories never before published for the general reading public.

The introduction to the collection by Robert H. Hirst, General Editor of the Mark Twain Project," is a fantastic introduction to the collection and the author as a person as well as a writer. Twain often spoke of his "literary remains." He rarely disposed of a scrap of paper if he had taken his hand to it to pen his opini
James Williams
My experience with Mark Twain is (I suspect) similar to many others: I was forced to read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn in school*. To say that I didn't care for them would be an understatement (to this day, Tom Sawyer is my least favorite book in the world because all I can remember about it is forcing myself to read it page-by-agonizing-page in fourth grade).

This shouldn't be a surprise of course. My reading tastes have always leaned more towards swords and sorcery or laser guns and spacesh
Mark Twain is perhaps the most quoted American author in history. His one-line adages serve as witticisms for almost any occasion (I've heard him read at weddings and funerals). What we have in this release is a collection of some previously published but mostly unpublished short essays and stories by Twain taken from the almost half million pages of literature that he left behind at his death.

Some essays mirror the hilarity of Twain's traditional style, while others are curt and serious, seemi
Viviana D. Otero
Jan 28, 2011 Viviana D. Otero rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mark Twain fan
When I first heard about this book, I couldn't stop smiling. I have read everything that Mark Twain wrote, and having this new taste from his grave is a mighty treat indeed. If you are a fan of Samuel Clemens, you MUST pick up this quick read of essays and lectures he decided to publish from the grave. It makes a great Sunday evening read with a glass of wine in hand. Although all the pieces are brilliant, one of my favorite stories in his new book is “The Quarrel in the Strong-Box.” It is a fan ...more
Christy Leskovar
Odd title since this is a collection of sketches by Mark Twain. The best were the conversation between two snow shovelers about Socialists and Anarchists--which was a hoot, and the one about the American newspaper. I listened to the audiobook. John Lithgow was the narrator.
Alix Stricklin
What fun! This is from a large collection of Twain's collected works, which are gradually being made available to the public. The publisher is very honest that the first few selections are unfinished works - one is practically a draft - so they are not particularly fun to read. BUT, when you get past those, you are into classic Twain. Read "On Postage Rates on Authors' Manuscripts" for a hysterical commentary on Capital Hill. Worth reprinting as a full-page article in the Wall Street Journal - j ...more
This book is damn good light reading. Who is Mark Twain? An immensely interesting man with a witty, often dark sense of humor. Many biographies are stuffy things crammed with every minute detail of a person's life. Those are alright... if you're writing a stuffy book report crammed with minute details. This book presents you with the very best of Mark Twain- his writing! And that's all there is to it. It gives us just enough of him to make us want more. This book can be read in just a few hours, ...more
The title is a misnomer. I learned little about Twain from reading this book, in a biographical sense, although I certainly got to know a good deal about his worldview-- particularly his feelings on the media -- through his writing. This book is pretty much all low lows and high highs. It's easy to see why a lot of the content has never been published before but Twain is at his best when discussing his views on journalism. Additionally, one chapter where he describes his run-in with the English ...more
Previously unpublished stories now published 100 years after Twain's death. A few are unfinished, one includes rough notes of speeches, but most are as timely today as they were a century ago. It's an easy read, but definitely do not skip the introductory notes at the beginning of the book, which put the stories into a larger context and also reveal small facts of interest about most of them (though I think I would have preferred to have a small introductory editorial paragraph for each story, i ...more
I'm a big fan of Mark Twain. My alma mater is in Elmira, NY, which makes an appearance in one of final pieces of this collection, so I feel a connection to Twain. There's no doubting that Twain has made an incredible impact on American literature with his novels. Certainly, this collection is not one of those - it was only recently released. But even so, there's still some of that Mark Twain genius in these pieces. I appreciated being able to see the kernels of stories, the snippets of ideas, th ...more
Mardel Fehrenbach
This was a quick entertaining read. It is an interesting collection of Twain's unpublished works and although some of them are quite good, some fall flat and some are just fragments of an idea. Many times the author starts with one theme and wanders off to something else. This is not to say his perambulations are not interesting, but I can see why they were relegated to the unpublished pile. However, when Twain is on, he is on, and some of his observations are priceless, and just as apt today as ...more
If you are a fan of Mark Twain's, you'll find something to like in this book. However, readers should realize that many of the snippets are just that...notes and drafts of work in progress...that he never finished or published in his lifetime. There are a few gems and the rest is interesting to see how his mind worked. And, as usual with Mark Twain's work, it is as true today as when he wrote.

Overall, a fast read that's worth your time.
Mark Twain left many manuscripts with instructions to not publish until 70 years after his death. Some of those manuscripts have recently been published in this book. The comments are as appropriate for today as they were 100 years ago. Some of his remarks had me laughing out loud, which caused others to ask what was so funny.... then they would write down the name of the book to get a copy. I hope more of these short pieces are published.
For Twain fans, I'd check out, but I didn't especially find it one of my favorites. The items in here are hit and miss, but the last piece ends the collection well, and there were the usual instances of brilliance that made the entire time spent with the book during the lesser parts worth it, which is the case with many of his works. However, for the uninitiated to Twain's works, I'd start with another book.
I'm a big fan of Mark Twain's non-fiction, so I was intrigued by the concept of this book. However, while it contained a few clever pieces, overall, it didn't really seem to hold up to his larger, finished works. If you are a diehard fan who wants to read every scrap of Twain available, enjoy. But if you are a more casual admirer and want to read his best, go for Innocents Abroad or one of his other major works.
Isaiah Cabañero
Samuel Langhorne Clemens is one funny soul.
Donna Stuedeman
The title of the book is misleading. I thought this was going to offer me a different view of his personality or possibly a humorous auto-biography that he'd written. Instead, it's a group of short stories and essays that were either not completed or never published for a variety of reasons. Some of them are very funny.
Bonnie Brien
Previously unpublished and somewhat unfinished stories/articles/musings from Mark Twain. Loved them, especially "Conversations with Satan," "Jane Austen," "A Group of Servants," "The Undertaker's Tale," "The Music Box," "The Snow-Shovelers, and "Telegraph Dog." Mark Twain is hilarious. I just love his work.
It's always hard to give a book by Mark Twain less than 4 starts. This tidbits range from incompleted sketches to works Twain considered too controversial to publish until long after his death. They show a man deeply concerned about humanity and it's frailties. But also a man with a committed sense of humor.
I would have liked the opportunity to meet this man. I loved his comments on Jane Austen, the postage rates on author's manuscripts, The missionary in world politics. This was a fast entertaining little book. I believe anyone who has ever read any of his works would enjoy this very much.
Christopher Rex
Mark Twain's social commentary is brilliant. He was so ahead of his time in so many ways and was completely unafraid to voice his opinions. This is not the best collection of his writings, but basically anything by Mark Twain is worth reading. Wait for the softcover and/or find it used, though.
This was a free read on

It is a compilation of unpublished works of Mark Twain.

I enjoyed the book, but probably not enough to buy the book. I think some of the stories/essays were never published for good reason. Others were more memorable.
Some of the essays/stories were really good and some were pretty mediocre. But they're unfinished, so I wouldn't rate a man's genius based on this collection. I particularly liked "On Postage Rates on Authors’ Manuscript" and "The Undertaker’s Tale."
It contains 24 previously unpublished Twain essays. Some are partial drafts that he didn't complete. Others he wrote and put aside as possibly too controversial. I enjoyed it, but it's for the experienced Twain reader not the place to begin the acquaintance.
This collecion of Twain's unpublished works is a must for dedicated Twain fans and a great read for those of us who simply get a kick out of his acerbic humor. His essay on Jane Austin is a classic--too bad is was never finished or published.
A short introduction about Mark Twain and his works followed by short stories written by Twain. I enjoyed Lithgow's interpretation of the stories. His voice is fabulous! Truly humorous! I look forward to reading more of Twain's works.
Andy Plonka
This is a collection of unpublished pieces by Twain which were not allowed to be published until 100 years after his death so it bears a 2009 publication date. His comments are remarkably spot on and humourous even today
100 years after Twain's death and new material is still being published. Some of the pieces make you wonder why it took them so long, they're wonderful, however others are considerably less so.
this book came highly recommended, but i just wasn't that into it. i ended up only getting about half way through it. maybe i can revisit it after (if/when) i read some of twain's fiction...
A nice addition to the collection of any Mark Twain fan. Don't expect to be blown away by any of the pieces included in the collection, and you certainly will not be disappointed.
  • The Various Lives of Keats and Chapman: Including The Brother
  • The Annotated Milton: Complete English Poems
  • Sadness
  • The Last Interview and Other Conversations
  • The Best Early Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Who Killed John F. Kennedy? (Lose Your Own Adventure #1)
  • Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier
  • The Book of the Unknown: Tales of the Thirty-six
  • Mark Twain
  • Selected Tales and Sketches
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...

“When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction.” 88 likes
“A consciously exaggerated compliment is an offense.” 1 likes