Start by marking “The Extinction Club: A Tale of Deer, Lost Books, and a Rather Fine Canary Yellow Sweater” as Want to Read:

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  9 reviews
For one thousand years, the Milu -- an exotic species of deer with the neck of a camel, horns of a stag, feet of a cow, and tail of a donkey -- existed only in the Chinese emperor’s private park in Beijing. But in the nineteenth century, a Basque missionary risked his life to obtain a specimen, then embalmed it and sent it to Paris.

The preserved remains caused quite a stir
Published July 8th 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Extinction Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extinction Club

Clare O'Beara
Pere David's Deer, otherwise known as the Milu, which went extinct in its native China and was restored by a captive herd in Britain, is the putative topic. It only occupies a few pages.

There's a lot of rambling, comments by the author about himself and side tracks. Some of the side tracks are well explored and worth a trip. Some are padding, as presented anyway.

This is a slim volume and I was disappointed and surprised that despite the descriptions of the comically assembled deer, there is no
Andy Lee
This was one of those impulse purchases in the bargain section at Borders I bought probably 5 or so years ago. I had it around my classroom for a student to read, but since no teenager, especially struggling with reading read it, I figured I shouldn't put a good book to waste.

So I began reading and found the narrative to be terribly confusing, perhaps because of the writing, but probably because I wasn't really focused on what I was reading. The book does blend the line between fiction and non-f
Ape
My 2010 bookcrossing journal:

Hmmm. I've had this one a while, and to be honest, now that I have eventually gotten around to reading it, it has been a bit of a disappointment and not exactly what I expected.

I understood this was going to be the story of Milu, a type of Chinese deer that has been extinct from the wild for 1000 years or so. Odd looking creatures, they were kept in the park of the Forbidden City in China. Some were smuggled out to Europe, and kept in parks, were most of them died. B
Kim
This book is supposed to be about the Milu, a deer extinct in the wild, that lived in the imperial court of China for, supposedly, 1,000 years. The first Westerner to see one, a basque missionary, fell for the deer, absconded with one and good thing he did because the imperial herd were killed during the boxer rebellion.

Fifty pages in, it was mostly self-involved rambling. On page 15 he mentions how thrilled he is to write a story that is not about him. And then he keeps talking about himself. 2
Jstacy
This is a book that I had to read through to really appreciate. At points I was questioning the point and direction, but in the end, I liked the links he made between humans and these deer. It was a bit of a history lesson too as I knew nothing about the Boxer Rebellion and what was happening in China. There's a moral lesson in the book too. The fact that is is not a book one needs to be heavily invested in tipped this to four stars....
Antoine  McGrath
The legendary deer known as the Milu was thought to be extinct until Basque missionary Pere David stumbled upon them in the Chinese emperor's private park. Not a must read but a good review of an interesting species history.
Kathleen Dixon
This book must have different subtitles in its British and US editions, but it's clearly the same book.
I rather enjoyed it - it's quite unusual, but entertaining.
Audrey
Fun book, a little odd.
Kayla Mckinney
Kayla Mckinney marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Ariel Rivers
Ariel Rivers marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Lesley A
Lesley A is currently reading it
Nov 26, 2014
Izzy Harrop
Izzy Harrop marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Mulliwulli
Mulliwulli marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
John
John added it
Aug 23, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Kez
Kez marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Darja
Darja marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Polly
Polly added it
May 09, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
May 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Twigger is a British author who has been described as, 'a 19th Century adventurer trapped in the body of a 21st Century writer'. He attended Oxford University and later spent a year training at Martial Arts with the Tokyo Riot Police. He has won the Newdigate prize for poetry, the Somerset Maugham award for literature and the William Hill Sports Book of the Year award.

In 1997, whilst on an
More about Robert Twigger...
Angry White Pyjamas: A Scrawny Oxford Poet Takes Lessons from the Tokyo Riot Police Voyageur: Across the Rocky Mountains in a Birchbark Canoe Big Snake: The Hunt for the World's Longest Python Dr Ragab’s Universal Language Red Nile: A Biography of the World's Greatest River