Bizarro Comics

Bizarro Comics

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  335 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Under the premise that Bizarro, Superman's moronic blockheaded doppelganger, has decided to publish his own comic book stories, BIZARRO COMICS presents an irreverent collection of spiteful super hero tales. Taking shots at Batman, Wonder Woman, and the Green Lantern, this rare and hilarious sarcastic look at the super-hero world includes comical tales of the search for a b...more
Published April 1st 2003 by DC Comics (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bizarro Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bizarro Comics

Paul Mirek
A thrilling collection of "alternative" cartoonists (funnily enough, featuring several from Nickelodeon Magazine) taking a shot at the vibrant world of DC Comics. My problem with the current state of the industry isn't so much the heavy-handed marketing of major events and line-wide crossovers (those were going on in the early 2000s, too) but that DC and Marvel seem to have retreated into only featuring single versions of their characters--even if that single version is in five books a month. He...more
Megan
Bizarro Comics is really a collection of short comics (some as short as a single page) about various characters/concepts spanning across the DC universe, all written and drawn by different artists. Many of these artists are not typical superhero-book artists, and I thought seeing the DC universe through their interpretations is interesting and refreshing. A comical yet intriguing bookend story starring Mister Mxyzptlk encapsulates the 'bizzaro' comics contained in the bulk of the book. There's q...more
Tamir Hason
Bizrro Comics is a collection of short cartoonist atories, that according to the storyline were written by Bizarro himself. Most of the story is really funny, especially the prologue and epilogue that follows the main story about Mr. Mxyzptlk in his effort to save the fifth dimension from a conqueror named A. The team up between Mxyzptlk and Bizrro is really genius and hilarious, as well as the feeling of each to one another.
Melissa Bryan
This is very bizarro...I laughed outload. The graphs are great. If haven't read this one yet you need to read it this summer under a shade tree and if you laugh outload then people will just think you are Bizarro.
Paul Schulzetenberg
I'm not sure I ever wondered what happened when you combined a bunch of independent comic authors with one of the big studios, but I now know. Fittingly, Bizarro Comics is bizarre. Its melding of independent irreverence and non-traditional storytelling with the flat characters of the tights-and-cape set makes for a strange collection. I'm not willing to call it interesting, but it is a spectacle.

Ultimately, I'm not that interested in the DC stable of characters. I sense that there is a vocabular...more
Mariah Blob Drakoulis
Bizarro comics is an anthology of comics about supers as seen through the eyes of Bizarro. Whilst it was beautiful and refreshing to see superhero comics drawn by alternative and indie hands, some of the stories were a little boring. There are definitely some treasures in there though, and most of the writers were not lacking for wit. Altogether entertaining, and a book I would buy if just because it is beautifully designed and gorgeous to look at.
Max Rebo
Decepcionante visión alternativa de los superhéroes DC. Quienes esperen algo políticamente incorrecto no lo encontrarán. Apenas algunas historias dibujan una sonrisa (por ejemplo la gamberra relectura de la 'adopción' de Robin por parte de Batman, en la que el chico maravillas funambulista es...un chimpancé). Otras presentan un dibujo interesante, pero en conjunto la recopilación es insatisfactoria.
Darryl
DC superheroes re-imagined by a whole bunch of celebrated alternative comix creators.

Includes warped versions of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Hawkman, the Flash, Green Lantern, and others.

A short read and good fun - probably even better if you are more familiar with these independent comix artist's work than I am.

Winner of the 2002 Harvey and Eisner awards for best anthology.
Andy
Sep 17, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: DC Comics fans
Shelves: comix-novel
Underground comix artists give their various takes on DC comic book superheroes with very amusing results. So you have Gilbert Hernandez rendering superheroes as kids at the school playground, Kyle Baker doing Superman as a baby stressing out his baby sitter, Bill Wray doing Aquaman as a wishy-washy hero, Evan Dorkin on the Martian Manhunter Celebrity Roast, etc. I love this book!
M
A tongue-in-cheek look at the DC Universe, thanks to the efforts of Bizarro. Chosen by Mr. Mxyzptlk as his champion in a cosmic contest, the Bizarro version of Superman "pens" tales of the DC heroes and villains in order to help save the universe. With pokes at Aquaman, Batman, Superman, and more, this collection is wacky, hilarious, funny, and an all-around good read.
Jdetrick
As with any anthology, there are good and bad stories here. However, I think the bad outweighs the good, and since DC has a tendency to be rather serious, I think it's worth enjoying the fun stories when you have the chance. Unsurprisingly, Kyle Baker's work is the stand out in the collection
Peacegal
I’m not a follower of Batman, Superman, or any of the other members of the galaxy of comic book heroes. However, these stories present the familiar DC comics stable in a whole new light—one that’s “Bizarro”! It’s an ironic, funny, and creative turn that even non-fans can appreciate.
Federiken Masters
Feb 14, 2014 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Hace mil años me leí varias historias de este libro, que me venían gustando bastante, y lo colgué de nabo. Hace novecientos noventa y nueve años que no lo veo por ningún lado, así que supongo que esperaré alguna redición para terminármelo. Prometer, prometía.
Lolly's Library
Bizarro, indeed. While a couple of the tales are just plain stupid, overall, this is a funny and fun take on those beloved classic comic book heroes and heroines.
M
A tongue-in-cheek look at the DC Universe, thanks to the efforts of Bizarro. Wacky, hilarious, funny, and an all-around good read.
Automation
This is a collection of indy comics people doing short stories in the DC universe with no restrictions, it is great.
Wallace
Light twists on superhero stories, all fairly short and to the point. All in the name of good clean fun.
John
Just what the title says. And fun. If they'd let me do half stars, it would get 3.5
Marissa
Loved it all I got to say
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Lina
Lina marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Adalira Morningstar
Adalira Morningstar marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • The Book of Leviathan
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 4
  • The Best American Comics 2009
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision
  • Finder Library Volume 1
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 20: Demon's Lair
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 12: Grasscutter (Usagi Yojimbo #12)
  • Elfquest Archives, Vol. 1
  • Hicksville
  • Astro City, Vol. 5: Local Heroes
  • Infinite Kung Fu
  • 100%
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 5
  • Black Jack, Vol. 4
  • Classics for Pleasure
Marvel Action Hour: Los 4 Fantásticos: Edición Especial Argentina Elvira's House Of Mystery #1 Puño de hierro: El héroe de K'un L'un Namor: ¡La caída de Atlantis! (Libros Grandes Sagas Marvel) Huntress (1989-1990) #1