Start by marking “Listening to Popular Music: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Led Zeppelin” as Want to Read:

2.83 of 5 stars 2.83  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  3 reviews
It has long been assumed that people who prefer Led Zeppelin to Mozart live aesthetically impoverished lives. But why? In Listening to Popular Music, award-winning popular music scholar Theodore Gracyk argues that aesthetic value is just as important in popular listening as it is with “serious” music. And we don’t have to treat popular music as art in order to recognize it ...more
Published May 2nd 2007 by University of Michigan Press

To ask other readers questions about Listening to Popular Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listening to Popular Music

James
When I was just 'snacking' on selected passages in this book, it looked like it was going to be exciting. There are an article's-worth of good ideas in here, but the actual experience of reading the book is mostly a chore. It's never a good sign when someone extensively cites their own books and articles. Gracyk has clearly been hoeing the same row for a long time.
Once you wade through all the academic onanism (I will admit that some of my frustration was with the necessarily graceless precisio
Daniel
I really enjoyed this book. The authors arguments about high cultures' lack of understanding and appreciation for the aesthetic value of "popular music" is only one of the interesting insights he elucidates. This book goes a long way to authenticating the musical experiences of listeners of all genres of music, not just popular. I highly recommend it as an education in humility for anyone who thinks "their" musical tastes are superior to anyone else.
AJ Conroy
Based on the title, I thought this would be Klosterman-esqe or like Nick Hornby's Songbook. Nope. Reads like an academic journal, which makes sense since most of the chapters were originally published in academic journals. The author's explores the nature of popular music: is it art (whatever that is) and what is its cultural value. Interesting enough, I guess, just not what I expected.
Kayla Mckinney
Kayla Mckinney marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Campbell Matthew
Campbell Matthew marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Mani Claxton
Mani Claxton marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jul 24, 2013
Test
Test added it
Jul 03, 2013
Shellie Heaton
Shellie Heaton marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2012
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Rhythm and Noise: An Aesthetics of Rock I Wanna Be Me: Rock Music And The Politics Of Identity The Philosophy of Art: An Introduction The Routledge Companion to Philosophy and Music On Music