Start by marking “In Pursuit of Glory” as Want to Read:
In Pursuit of Glory

In Pursuit of Glory

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Few people know the controversial world of professional cycling like Bradley Wiggins. At the 2004 Olympics in Athens, he became the first British athlete in 40 years to win three medals in a single Olympic Games, which led to his being awarded the Order of the British Empire (OBE). The 2007 Tour de France ended in disappointment for him when his teammate failed a drug test ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Orion (first published October 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about In Pursuit of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Pursuit of Glory

The Secret Race by Tyler HamiltonThe Rider by Tim KrabbéRacing Through the Dark by David MillarSlaying the Badger by Richard  MooreThe Death of Marco Pantani by Matt Rendell
Best Cycling Books
107th out of 187 books — 135 voters
Boycott by Jerry CaraccioliRome 1960 by David MaranissTriumph by Jeremy SchaapStriking Silver by Tom CaraccioliMark Spitz by Richard J. Foster
The Olympic Games
88th out of 125 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Giles Knight
I found this book really interesting and insightful.

The man doesn't have an easy ride to the top and at times has to really fight.... Once there he seems to have a habit of self detonating when things are going well. A constant battle.

Sometimes the early chapters of these books are a bit of a bore, this wasn't, with talk of his early life, minus a father figure and watching Chris Boardman on the TV in the Barcelona Olympics as being the trigger that got him into cycling, I found the whole thing
Barry Bridges
A straight talking, un-edited (I assume because of some of the grammatical errors) account of Brad's life - mainly between the late nineties and 2009 since he takes the sensible step of glossing over his childhood. I await the 2014 revision where he tells of his TDF victory!!!
Graham Tapper
This is actually the first half of Wiggins' biography and covers his life up to the 2009 Tour de France, which is actually included as a postscript to the paperback version so presumably didn't appear in the original hardback.

The book covers far more of his personal life and especially his difficult relationship with his absentee father. He tells of how his father influenced his life more by his absence than by his presence. When his father left the family it was his mother and grand-parents who
Margaret
This was a gift - I'm not much of a fan of bio especially vanity projects like the ghosted "autobiography" of a sports star - so I'm not the target readership.

I would give it 2.5 stars if I could. He comes across as full of himself at times - but if I had the talent & the tenacity to do what he has done I would likely be pretty full of myself too. He talks about things I can't imagine wanting to share with the rest of the world which makes me feel uncomfortably voyeuristic and his tales abou
Chris Hawkins
Pretty good book, some of the stuff saying "I know I'll never win the TdF, but a stage win would be nice" is good for a little chuckle. I want to read an updated book but there seems to be about 4 or 5 since this was released, madness!
Rob
I loved the fact that reading this was like listening to Wiggo talk. No fancy words, just straight to the point. It would be interesting to read the next couple chapters in his life. He points out that he didn't think he'd ever win the Tour de France. Funny how things change.
Richard
Really insightful book into the cycling world and how to become a winner of the Tour de France. I think Chris Froome need to take a leaf out of Bradley Wiggins book.
Martin Amy
not sure that this book does much for Bradley Wiggins the person, but a good account of Olympics and Tours
Yas
I really struggled with this.

I initially enjoyed all the stuff in the beginning about his early life, how he got into cycling etc etc but after that it was just a repetition of winning competition after competition and it just all seemed a bit "samey" to me.

I like cycling thanks to my cyclist fanatic better half and have read a few books recommended to me by him but this one wasnt the best one.

If you want something a lot more interesting Id suggest Lances first book or Dave Millar's autobiograph
Gareth
Great insight into what made Bradley the best cyclist that Britain has ever had. He shares the lows and highs along his journey from childhood days to top international cyclist. His abandonment by his father at a young age and attempted re-building of this relationship is described, showing how this has affected him, both in a positive and negative sense over the years. Only goes up to 2009 though.
Paddy Willard
Open and often brutally honest. Rough and ready writing but ultimately a fascinating insight in to the world of one of the best cyclists we have ever produced.

I found this particularly interesting as it only takes us up to the end of the 2009 Tour de France so no real inkling of the successes that were about to come.
Hamish Low
I was given the updated edition cover king his 2012 successes. A warts and all account of his bad years and good years with insights into how he tackled his own failings and achieved victory and suddenly recognition by the UK public.
I enjoyed the details of how cycling works and the people involved.
Julie
A really interesting and well written book. Follows Bradley's life from a small child up to the Beijing Olympics and the 2009 Tour de France - so with hindsight you smile wryly at some of his comments about wanting to win the TDF! A fascinating insight to the world of professional cycling.
Russell
I enjoyed reading this book although the repeated references to his father got old quickly, but then he does/did have issues so I can't really complain. The rest of the book was very interesting if you're in to cycling and competitive sport.
Andy Booth
Fairly terribly written but then what do I expect, sports journalism is not my thing and someone bought me the book as a present. On the positive side it's an interesting perspective on a world I know very little about (International cycle sport).
Kyle Anderson
Compelling read into a man who has a great and pretty easy life and knows it. Family issues so big it made winning olympic gold seem easy in comparison.
Will
I was given this as a present and enjoyed this but probably should read the one after about when he wins some stuff as this finished in 2009
Jo
Aug 09, 2012 Jo marked it as to-read
If the entire book is as gripping as the free sample I downloaded to my Kindle, this is going to be 5-star review... on my wish list!
Jack
Well written, with some interesting insights into the track and road cycling worlds.
looking forward to the next instalment.
Keiron
Good detail on what it takes to make it in sport. Luck, planning and a lot of hard work. Very easy read.
Katie Mac
Very well written and a good balance between personal and cycling backgroung. Not too many stats.
Philip
Jan 05, 2013 Philip added it
Shelves: wiggins
Well written and his passion for the sport shone through. Can't wait to read the bio...
Martin Bacon
A great read and hard to put down.
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Pwinn Ruji
Pwinn Ruji marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Joakim Svolgaard
Joakim Svolgaard marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • Racing Through the Dark
  • A Race for Madmen: The History of the Tour de France
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson
  • Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel With a Pro Cyclist
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • The Death of Marco Pantani: A Biography
  • We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon
  • Between the Lines: The Autobiography
  • Lanced: the shaming of Lance Armstrong
  • The Climb: The Autobiography
  • 23 Days in July: Inside the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Record-Breaking Victory
  • The Death of Ayrton Senna
  • Memoirs Of A Fruitcake
  • It's All About the Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness on Two Wheels
  • Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession
My Time Bradley Wiggins: My Story On Tour My Time In Pursuit Of Glory: The Autobiography