Start by marking “The Jungle Book” as Want to Read:
The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  76,283 Ratings  ·  2,084 Reviews
Among the best loved of all classics for children are the tales of Mowgli, the boy who learned the law of the jungle as he grew up among a pack of wolves in India's Seeonee Hills. First published in 1894, the book imagines a child living and flourishing in a community of animals - an idea that perhaps had its origin in Kipling's unhappy childhood. 'His stories are not anim ...more
Hardcover, Everyman's Library Childrens Classics, 222 pages
Published October 6th 1994 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The Jungle Book, please sign up.

Steve I read it in an eBook anthology, but elsewhere have seen the number vary between 120 and 130 pages.

Manny
We are the masters of our planet, but we are not very good masters. We are, in the blunt phrase I saw a zoologist use the other day, a plague species. Sometimes, one feels the world would be better off without human beings. This isn't necessarily a counsel of despair or treachery. Our true loyalty should be not to mankind but to our genes, and most of those genes are to be found in other species who are far less destructive. It would almost be a relief if the beautiful and savage animals we shar ...more
Apatt
Oct 01, 2015 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Welcome to the jungle
We've got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names”

The opening poem of The Jungle Book: “Now Rann the Kite brings home the night” etc. is much more elegant than Axl Rose’s effort, but I feel it would be much nicer for you to read it in the context of the book.

Now if you are looking for a review from someone with an in-depth knowledge of Rudyard Kipling’s works you had better look elsewhere. My Kipling-fu is so feeble I did not even know The Jungle Boo
Lynne King
Two weeks ago I arrived at Aberdovey, a small seaside village on the Dyfi estuary in west Wales. So to discover sun, and thus an ideal day for the beach, I needed a book. Having no luck finding a bookshop, and minus my Kindle, the young man in the pub mentioned that the RNLI were selling books. So when I saw the smiling face of Mowgli on the cover of “The Jungle Book”, well I had to purchase it and also support the Lifeboats as they do such marvellous work.

I had read this collection of short sto
Nandakishore Varma
IMO, Rudyard Kipling is the worst example of the quintessential British Imperialist and Colonialist. His attitude towards India is contemptuous and condescending. As a person, I dislike him intensely.

Kipling writes beautifully. His stories are simple, engaging and profound at the same time. As a writer, I love him.

This is a childhood favourite. I read it first in translation, and then in the original. This is a true classic - it works for one as a child as well as an adult.
Aileene
Sep 08, 2016 Aileene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aileene by: Luke Taylor
PRE - READ.

...as he believes I read too much Abs books *wrinkles nose*

Commencing on the 8th of August (9 Aug - Aus time)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

POST-READ

EDITED FOR Luke's review link.

This is the second time I read The Jungle Book. The first one was when I was in secondary school as I had to write an essay for it.

This story was memorable coz it was the same time when I first start wearing glasses. So, needless to say this was the very first story I read with
Kristen
No this is not your Disney movie - Kipling wrote a fantastic series of short stories, only a few of which include Mowgli. Baloo is not a lazy idiot, Kaa is not a bad guy, SherKahn is killed rather then run off, the wolves are not always the noble good guys... this is VERY different then our cotton candy Disney film. And so much more enjoyable for it.

Also included are the tales of Rikki Tikki Tavi, the Elephant Dance, and the White Seal. I would have to say that my favorite is Rikki Tikki Tavi, h
Mariah
Jul 19, 2016 Mariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am trying to read more classics, so why not start off with the Jungle book? This book is short enough that it only takes two CDs to listen to and a new movie version just came out about this book.

The characters were interesting and very different from the movie. For example, Baloo was apart of the wolf pack the whole time. His job is to train the pups. This is completely different than the movie.

All in all, I enjoyed this read! I’m glad this is my first classic, after starting up again. Also,
Terry
Rudyard Kipling’s _The Jungle Book_ is an enjoyable read. A collection of short stories, all of which revolve around the lives and troubles of different animals and the people who interact with them, it has a surprising amount of depth coupled with rather pleasant prose. The most famous of these stories are probably those that revolve around Mowgli, the jungle boy raised by wolves in India whose adventures with Baloo the bear and Bagheera the panther against the machinations of Shere Khan the ti ...more
Amber Tucker
Aug 13, 2010 Amber Tucker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore children's lit fans
Lesson learned from this book: having been much- and long-beloved does not automatically make a book worth reading.
The only particular reason I picked this one off my shelf was the feeling it's a "classic" of children's lit, which I felt slightly ashamed of never having had a chance to enjoy – I assumed must be classically marvellous. (I mean, I don't know if I ever even watched the Disney adaptation all the way through. I was actually expecting all Mowgli stories. More than half are not, act
Sinem
Nov 03, 2016 Sinem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çocukken filmini izleyip hayran oldum. sonra da bu hayranlığımı hiç kaybetmedim. ancak kitabı çok aradım. çocuk kitabı olarak vardı ama büyükler için versiyonu bulunmuyordu. sadece bu boşluğu doldurduğu için bile İthaki yi tebrik etmeliyim.
bu baskıda sadece orman kitabı değil başka öyküler de var ; sizi hayvanlar aleminde farklı maceralara sürükleyen...
AMEERA
Aug 07, 2016 AMEERA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my best childhood story absolutely jungle the book * mowgli * beautiful adventure
I loved it
Olga Godim
Apr 25, 2014 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Last time I read The Jungle Book was years ago, to my son, when he was a preschooler. I didn’t remember much before I started this read. It might be that I only read him selective stories, because my memory of the stories was sketchy. Mowgli – aye, all of them, even the ones included in the other Jungle book. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi – yes, of course. But I don’t remember ever reading The White Seal or a couple other stories, so my impression of them is fresh.
The entire book is simplistic on the surfac
PurplyCookie
Kipling pours fuel on childhood fantasies with his tales of Mowgli, lost in the jungles of India as a child and adopted into a family of wolves. Mowgli is brought up on a diet of Jungle Law, loyalty, and fresh meat from the kill.

"The boy could climb almost as well as he could swim, and swim almost as well as he could run; so Baloo, the Teacher of the Law, taught him the Wood and Water Laws. Then, too, Mowgli was taught the Stranger's Hunting Call, which must be repeated aloud till it is answere
GoldGato
This classic story by Rudyard Kipling, telling of the adventures of Mowgli who is raised by wolves in the jungles of India, gets the Ingpen treatment. That is, the illustrations are by Australian artist Robert Ingpen, who brings the animals to life in the best edition I have seen of Kipling's tales for children.

This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.

Kipling. His pen could write with a silver tongue. The sounds and denizens of the jungle come alive with his words. Now add th
Werner
Apr 06, 2008 Werner rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of stories about animals and/or jungle adventure
Shelves: classics
Lost in the jungles of 19th-century India (the book was first published in 1894) as a toddler, little Mowgli is rescued from the vicious tiger Shere Khan by an adoptive family of wolves, who raise him as part of their pack. The author's various species of jungle animals exhibit many traits and behaviors characteristic of real ones (Kipling was born and raised in India, and his setting is depicted with a deftness born of first-hand observation); but he also endows them with a culture and language ...more
Paul
Nov 25, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent dramatisation of a classic tale. I'm not going to review the actual book other than to say that if you only know 'The Jungle Book' from the Disney movie, you owe it to yourself to read the original book. It's more than a little different.

This dramatisation is really good. The cast is superb and they all do a fantastic job of bringing the characters they are voicing to life. The sound effects are also amazing as is the general production value. I'm not usually a fan of music
K.M. Weiland
Mar 25, 2016 K.M. Weiland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not Disney's Jungle Book--and that's a good thing. As much as I love the classic Disney cartoon version, this is a delightful story in its original incarnation, featuring a much grittier jungle and a much more independent young Mowgli. Aside from the Mowgli stories, there are also several other charmers, including my childhood favorite "Riki-Tiki-Tavi" and the ending story about the army animals. This is Kipling at his rightful best.
Kelly Ferguson
Jun 19, 2012 Kelly Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
You know you've been in grad school when...you can't read a children's classic without analyzing its Orientalist perspective. To read this book then, you have to do that thing where you forget there's been advances in social perspectives and take Kipling as a product of his time—a British colonialist.

Now that we've gotten that over with, I was surprisingly spellbound by these tales of Mowgli and his jungle friends. Kipling had me in a thrall, and I wanted to believe this fantasy of being raised
John
Jul 16, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection, including all of Mowgli's stories as well as Rikki-tikki-tavi, was culled from Kipling's original, two volume collection of jungle stories. I like the thematic continuity of this volume, and including the mongoose story as a capstone played very well to my young audience.

Mowgli's journey as a boy raised among wolves resonates on a deeply human and humane level. Kipling clearly stacks the deck in favor of the animals--at least those who operate according to the Law of the Jungle-
aPriL does feral sometimes
"Now Chil the Kite brings home the night
That Mang the Bat sets free--
The herds are shut in byre and hut,
For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.
Oh, hear the call! - Good hunting all
That keep the Jungle Law!"
Night-song in the jungle

'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling is a book of delightful short stories and poem-songs about talking animals. Five of the stories follow Mowgli, who as a human toddler was separated from his parents after Shere Khan, t
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
A unique classic. Before you watch Disney, try reading the real thing. This is a wonderful book for young and old alike from the scary snakes to the crazy wicked monkeys to the terrifying tiger and the cool and powerful panther. This is a classic story that needs to be read.

Five stars. It's a hugh favorite.
Kit
Nov 14, 2013 Kit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread from childhood; it is amazing to me how much a book like this instantly returns me to the feelings I had as a child. This book inspired many playtime fantasies of being raised by wolves and having to fend for myself, making me feel more powerful and confident than I usually felt as a shy middle child. I even had a black cat, Thomas, who I cast as Bagheera, to play along with me.

The poetry is my favorite part of the book, to be honest. I can't count the number of times I used the rhythmic
Patrizia O

«In considerazione del potere dell'osservazione, dell'originalità dell'immaginazione, la forza delle idee ed il notevole talento per la narrazione che caratterizzano le creazioni di questo autore famoso nel mondo»

Questa è la motivazione del Premio Nobel che fu attribuito a Kipling nel 1907. Il “Libro della Giungla” non mi sembra che rispecchi in pieno tale motivazione.
Ho trovato la scrittura di Kipling scorrevole e i racconti gradevoli, ma non particolarmente appassionanti. Sono storie ch
Eustacia Tan
Oct 14, 2011 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Previously, I only knew about The Jungle Book if it was the Disney movie, which I didn't even watch. The show looked a little infantile and frankly, I didn't really get it.

Later on, I read and loved The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, which I heard was based on The Jungle Book. Interesting, but still not enough to get me to read it.

Finally, I read The God of Small Things by Arundathi Roy. In it, they quoted The Jungle Book's "We be of one blood, thou and I". After meeting all these instances of
Rikke
The first time I read "The Jungle Book" I was appalled by how far it was from the Disneyfied version I had expected it to be. I couldn't seem to wrap my mind around it and separate the long-held associations between the book and the movie - so I just gave up. Simple as that.

Upon reading it now several years later, I can finally appreciate the book for what it really is: a beautiful fragment of childhood-fantasies and adventures, intertwined with a very vivid cultural glimpse of Kipling's beloved
Faith Spinks
Of course I know the Disney version of the Jungle Book but when I came across it browsing potential Kindle titles I realised I had never actually read the Rudyard Kipling original. And since it was also free as a Kindle book it had to be done.

I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed The Jungle Book story and couldn't read it fast enough. Thankfully, sitting on a plane meant that sticking with the story really wasn't a problem. Even though the original story is in many ways very different to the
Jim Peterson
It takes a lot of talent to write for children. The writing must be kept simple, but it can still be beautiful. Best of all, these stories must be exciting and very imaginative, something I also love in books for adults. The best children's stories, however, can be enjoyed by people of all ages - and The Jungle Book is definitely one such story.

If you only know the Disney movie, check this out.

Remember, it is written by a Nobel prize-winning author, so it qualifies as Literature with a capital
Vu K
Kipling quả có trí tưởng tượng phong phú. (Nhà văn mà không có trí tưởng tượng, không biết hư cấu, chỉ biết sao chép sự thực thì vứt, ấy là khó mà là nhà văn lớn được). Ngôn từ sinh động, khéo léo đưa vào các quan sát về đời sống động vật những nhận xét, cách giải thích thú vị.
Cảm hứng để đọc truyện là sau khi xem phim Truyện rừng xanh - The Jungle Book, phim 3D tại rạp. Nếu như đọc từ khi còn bé chắc là sẽ thích lắm và cho 5 sao, nhưng bây giờ thì chỉ cho được 4 sao thôi.
Thích hợp cho lứa tuổi
Rebecca McNutt
I wasn't sure at first whether or not I would like The Jungle Book, but it was an amazing story with so many different and imaginative characters and scenarios! It was a little dated, but still a classic.
Huy
Jan 08, 2016 Huy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nobel
Tuổi thơ của mình mê phim hoạt hình này lắm, thích chú gấu bụng phệ với chú báo hào hiệp :3.
Nên dĩ nhiên mê mấy truyện về Mowgli, mấy truyện còn lại thấy hơi chán :P
http://www.cleanseboosteravis.com/rejuvonus/ 1 1 Jan 10, 2017 03:41AM
http://www.findfitnessidea.com/enhance-mind-iq/ 1 1 Oct 30, 2016 10:27PM
Around the Year i...: The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling 8 47 Sep 28, 2016 08:12PM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Jungle Book Discussion - *SPOILERS* 22 26 Sep 24, 2016 05:44AM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Jungle Book - pre-read 39 30 Sep 14, 2016 10:08AM
ACPL Online Book ...: The Jungle Book 1 2 May 18, 2016 02:34PM
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Little Golden Book)
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Little Lord Fauntleroy
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • The Children of the New Forest
  • Pinocchio
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3
  • Peter Pan (A Little Golden Book)
  • English Fairy Tales
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
More about Rudyard Kipling...

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” 269 likes
“Now, don't be angry after you've been afraid. That's the worst kind of cowardice.” 65 likes