Start by marking “Peperkoekenhuis (Hammarbyserien, #1)” as Want to Read:
Peperkoekenhuis (Hammarbyserien, #1)

Peperkoekenhuis (Hammarbyserien #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  1,942 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
De vierenveertigjarige Thomas leidt een rustig leven – tot hij op een maandagochtend in de tram bij toeval iemand herkent die hem jaren geleden, op de kleuterschool, het leven zuur gemaakt heeft. Thomas volgt zijn voormalige plaaggeest naar diens huis en blijft, totaal
geobsedeerd, urenlang bij de voordeur posten. De volgende dag worden hoofdinspecteur Conny
Sjöberg en zijn
Published September 2009 by Querido (first published 2008)

Naomi
Jun 02, 2012 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good lord, this book is the epitome of why I LOVE Nordic Noir. This book was fantastic. It was twisted and engrossing with its' scenes and character development. I loved how deep and dark the author went in describing the characters, particularly the killer. Lovers of author Karin Fossum will adore this author. My only complaint...this is the author's only book translated to English. This is one of my pet peeves of the Nordic Noir genre and this book was a classic example of why.
Harry
Book Review
I'm giving this 3 stars (as opposed to 4 or 5 stars), but only because of two words in the entire novel that I feel are deliberate trickery by the author. It would be a disgrace to reveal to potential readers to what two words I'm referring, but I condsider having written them, a major error on the author's part. And so I'm giving this a lesser rating that I would have otherwise.

I consider this book the beginnings of an author who has yet to mature in certain areas, while showing imme
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
May 19, 2012 The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scandinavian Crime Mysteries
Recommended to The Haunted Reading Room by: Great Minds Think Aloud
Shelves: may-2012-reads
Chris
Jun 22, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So okay, everyone loves this but me. So take this review with a grain of salt or something.

Considering the amount of violence in this book and how much of the violence is against women, it really wasn't for me. Honestly, if former students are being killed how come only one male student and the rest female? And the cops who have things together are all men, the female police officer has a problem.

I guess it was nice seeing a male police officer in a happy relationship but the unequalness of eve
Rachel Hall
The Gingerbread Girl is the first in a planned series of thrillers set in the Stockholm district of Hammarby and introduces DCI Conny Sjöberg and the officers that work under his command in the Violent Crimes Unit. The series has gained some renown as it is the work of the editing and publishing team behind Steig Larsson's The Millennium Trilogy, and with an intriguing premise investigating a series of sadistic killings which have broken out across the country I had high expectations. When elder ...more
Ebba
Jun 11, 2012 Ebba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was first in doubt if I really liked it, but as I continued reading, the book had me completely hooked. This novel is very deceiving and rather unexpected. Probably my initial reluctance was because the book was not what I expected, in fact it turns out I am talking about this book with everyone I meet so my impression of it really changed over time and it is still lingering in me after it’s finished.
The story works on different time levels and jumps between 2006 and 1968. It’s a story about
Rebecca
Jul 27, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently I'm going to be the only one to say this, but, daaang, I felt ambivalent about these characters. This wasn't such a cut & dried, good vs. evil book for me. Not in the least am I condoning murder, thank you very much, but I did feel a measure of empathy for the kids who were bullied and, at the same time, I felt sorry for the murdered gent who managed to turn his life around after his own wretched childhood while at the same time despising his sorry soul for what he did and feeling ...more
Diane S ☔
Jun 10, 2012 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have to say I was very impressed by this book, it definitely had everything I expect from Nordic Noir. It was gritty, dark and very well written and I loved the plot line. I wonder if those children who bully or just join in to not be different ever stop to think of how they would feel if it was them. Have to say when I was growing up, there really wasn't alot of bullying, fights yes but after the fight everything was fine again. This could definitely be a novel that would make one think twice. ...more
Claes Ericson
May 28, 2012 Claes Ericson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved The Gingerbread House! I haven't felt that way since I read The Millennium Trilogy. But another dimension was the fact the apparently the very disturbing bullying scenes from pre-school are self-experienced by Carin Gerhardsen.

I couldn't put the book down, and recommend to anyone interested in Scandinavian crime!The Gingerbread House
Vesela
Jan 25, 2014 Vesela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книгата ми хареса! Точно това очаквах и точно такова нещо ми се четеше.
Като оценка е между 3 и 4 звезди, да кажем 3,75 :)
Харесва ми как пише писателката - лек, приятен стил, интригата бързо върви. С удоволствие бих прочела и други нейни книги, ако бъдат издадени.
Tien
May 21, 2012 Tien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The scene opens with a peaceful and majestic scene. Then disturbed by an outpouring of children and you can just feel the boisterousness... and then it suddenly quietened down to a couple of stragglers. All of these in the first few paragraphs. I was totally impressed by how well the atmosphere was conveyed.

A chance encounter, a blast from the past, led Thomas Karlsson to follow this happy looking man whom he knew to be a terrible bully in his early life. The next day, he was found murdered, hea
Kelly
Jul 09, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like thrillers, mystery and being completely surprised at the end of the story, I think you will love The Gingerbread House by Carin Gerhardsen. Gerhardsen skillfully crafted a thriller with a bizarre lot,a dark & dreary setting, with interesting and likable characters and managed to carry over the suspense when her book Pepparkakshuset (in Swedish) was skillfully translated by Paul Norlen into English.

This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I really enjoyed it. Gerhardsen
Eccentrika
Ambientato in una grigia e fredda Svezia dove l'ingiustizia e la disuguaglianza sembra essere all'ordine del giorno, "La casa di pan di zenzero" è un thriller dai contenuti forti e controversi, che appassiona, stupisce e fa riflettere. Tratta tematiche attuali e pone spesso interrogativi ai quali è difficile dare una risposta. La presunta innocenza dell'infanzia ha qualche fondamento o è soltanto un mito da sfatare? Possono le azioni degli altri condizionarci a tal punto da rovinarci completamen ...more
Lynda Kelly
Dec 26, 2016 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first read of this author and if not for spelling a character's name 2 different ways I'd have given it 5*. Even then I was torn but for me, to get your own characters' names mispelled is a massive transgression and somebody out there (aside from myself) really should have noticed it.
I loved an expression used rather than be hugged by a dirty kid-"Just hug with your face".....great. Another one that made me laugh aloud was "Only Jesus thinks that children are good". I LOVE that one !
I
Linda Strong
Jan 14, 2015 Linda Strong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Were you ever bullied when you were a child? Teased by other children because you looked different or dressed differently? Were you picked on because you were shy?

This is the story of a young boy who was teased, tormented, taunted and terrified when he was 6 years old and in preschool. He was beaten on a daily basis, tied up and put in the middle of the street. He had his clothes ripped, torn and sometimes even removed and hidden. To him, the other children are monsters.

Fast forward ... he is
Heidi Mann
Jul 31, 2012 Heidi Mann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This might be a 5-star rating by the time I finish. It's a very engaging book! I like some of the nuances that flow from it having been written in Swedish and translated into English. Every once in a while there's a slight error in translation -- nothing so garish as to confuse the meaning, just fun little instances of not being quite on target with an idiom of a grammatical convention -- not so many as to become annoying, though. Written from various characters' perspectives in a way that usher ...more
Christina
Jun 25, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An English language translation from the Swedish, this mystery novel is a tight thriller. Conny Sjoberg is a police detective who is working on the case of a 44-year old man found murdered in the kitchen of a seemingly unrelated woman. Is there really a connection? When other 44-year old victims turn up murdered as well, the police must race to find a pattern and the killer.

This mystery easily kept my attention throughout. It seemed to be well translated with no language issues. It kept me guess
Esmeralda
Aug 05, 2012 Esmeralda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is supposed to be the beginning of a crime series and I certainly want to read more. I haven't read any other Scandinavian crime fiction books and I guess this was a good place to start.
In this book the author explores the effects of bullying on young children. This theme is certainly relevant after tragedies like the Columbine massacre. The bullying occurs in preschool and the teacher does not want to get involved. One of the bullied children winds up being a serial killer, seeking re
Carolina
Mar 31, 2016 Carolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ljudbok, e-bok, 2016
Jag är inte alls mycket för deckare - har aldrig varit. Men denna var riktigt spännande. Just att man inte visste vem som var mördaren hur man än luskade förrän mot precis slutet var riktigt kul. Denna gillade jag massor trots att den var rätt hemsk emellanåt. Får se om jag fortsätter med nästa del i serien.
Ulla
Nov 03, 2016 Ulla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nästan ända till slutet tyckte jag att den här boken var helt fantastisk och jag ville ge den 5 stjärnor. Men slutet var litet för abrupt och jag kände mig litet besviken!
Elizabeth
Totally addicting, fast-paced crime novel, read it in less than 24 hours. I had some issues with a couple of violent scenes but overall I loved it and I can't wait to read the next one!
Linda Karlsson
May 23, 2015 Linda Karlsson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Såå bra , vill redan kasta mig över nästa del Mamma, pappa, barn ....
Jpucino
Aug 24, 2012 Jpucino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on my Kindle; I thought this was a great story! I was a little disappointed at the sort of abrupt ending, but maybe I was just wishing there was more. I recommend this book for sure!
Asta Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2011 Asta Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY CREEP!
- No, seriously. Wow. Ok. Breathe in, breathe out. FREAK OUT OMFG
Hekate
Apr 18, 2017 Hekate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perskaityta
Tai buvo pirmasis mano perskaitytas detektyvas... Kadangi knygų skaitymą, kaip pomėgį, atradau visai neseniai, tad ir knygų mano bagaže nėra daug. Neturiu su kuo palyginti, tad duodu šiai knygai 4 žvaigždutes.
Veiksmas buvo, istorija gera. Labai patiko, kad pasakojama buvo iš kelių asmenų pusės, tad buvo neįmanoma nuobodžiauti skaitant knygą. Žiauriai nustebino knygos pabaiga, tai buvo didžiulė staigmena. Net perverčiau dar sykį žudiko dienoraščius, kad prisiminti, kokiu asmeniu buvo kalbėta.
Vicki
Nov 30, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gingerbread House is part of the Stockholm Text's Scandinavian Crime series. As it turns out, the Scandinavian's are quite prolific in the murder and mayhem department. Further, it turns out Stieg Larsen was only one of many great story tellers in the cold and often lonely communities of Scandanavia.

Another such author is Carin Gerhardsen. She is skilled at building a multi-layered mystery told from multiple points of view. The plot is slowly and deliberately shaped. The victims, the killer
Петър Панчев
Apr 08, 2015 Петър Панчев rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: Бард
Хапливите години на детството
Цялото ревю тук: http://knijenpetar.blogspot.com/2015/...

„Джинджифиловата къща“ („Бард“, 2013) не прилича много на трилър, а е по скоро криминале с много явна социална насоченост. Началото е по-скоро брутално, с ясно изразен психологически съспенс, провиращ се дълбоко в психиката на детския ум. Всъщност от героите няма деца, но годините на детството са доста съществена част от романа. Карин Герхардсен се е заема с доста трудната задача да изведе като тема щекотливи
Maude
May 29, 2013 Maude rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this one. It started very well: school bulliars are murdered one by one, more than 40 years later. But soon enough it started to drag along. The problem, I think, partly came from the fact that the blurb on my copy was revealing around 90% of the story. The police start suspecting the man mentioned in the blurb towards the very end of the book, and before that they don't really have any idea of who the killer might be, actually they take quite long to realize that all ...more
Lisa B.
You can see all my reviews here:

My Thoughts

This was a good book The story moved along quickly and the detective team was likeable. I especially liked how the author showed us the personal and professional lives of some of the investigators - especially lead detective Conny Sjoberg. One minute he’s investigating a murder and the next he’s changing a dirty diaper. It made the characters seem real. The book also sends a frightening message about the effects of bully
A.J. Waines
Self-experienced plot 2 17 Apr 29, 2013 11:56PM
Goodreads Librari...: two formats listed in one book 3 44 Jun 15, 2012 04:35AM
  • The Dead of Summer (Anders Knutas #5)
  • The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (Hanne Wilhelmsen #2)
  • My First Murder (Maria Kallio, #1)
  • Shadow
  • Some Kind of Peace
  • Øjesten (Lars Winkler #1)
  • Frozen Assets (Officer Gunnhilder, #1)
  • Far North (Fire & Ice, #2)
  • The Ice Cage
  • Killer's Island
  • Silenced (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #2)
  • Daybreak
  • Flickan med snö i håret (Hagfors, #1)
  • Upp till toppen av berget (A-gruppen, #3)
From the same publishing team that brought you Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy comes Carin Gehardsen, author of the Hammarby series, a series of crime novels that take place in the southern parts of Stockholm.
Originally a mathematician, which explains her clever plots and complex characters, Gerhardsen is the author of the Hammarby-series, crime novels that take place in the southern parts of
St
More about Carin Gerhardsen...

Hammarbyserien (8 books)
  • Mamma, pappa, barn (Hammarbyserien, #2)
  • Vyssan Lull (Hammarbyserien #3)
  • Helgonet (Hammarbyserien, #4)
  • Gideons ring (Hammarbyserien, #5)
  • Hennes iskalla ögon (Hammarbyserien, #6)
  • Tjockare än vatten (Hammarbyserien, #7)
  • Falleri, fallera, falleralla (Hammarbyserien, #8)