Start by marking “Ancient Echoes” as Want to Read:
Ancient Echoes

Ancient Echoes

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  226 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
All his life, Jack Chetwin has had incredible visions of a parallel world...and of a human couple fleeing an unspeakable terror. But matters take a sinister turn when the man escapes into Jack's reality and threatens his family's safety. Now Jack must enter this strange world to confront an ancient and powerful evil -- a confrontation he may well not survive!
Published May 1st 1997 by Roc (first published July 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Echoes

Eija
Jackillä on ollut pienestä pitäen kyky nähdä mielikuvitukselliseen myyttiseen todellisuuteen. Tämä toinen ulottuvuus sijaitsee Jackin mielen Takamaassa, mutta se ei ole tyystin kuvitteellinen vaan hyvinkin todellinen paikka. Toisesta todellisuudesta heijastuu muinainen Galnum kaupunki lahoavine temppeleineen todellisen kaupungin Exburghin alta, kaupunki joka liikkuu. Takamaasta nousee myös esiin kaksi hahmoa, härkäjuoksijoiksi kutsutut mies ja nainen. Jackille hahmot ovat todellisia, käsin koske ...more
Bertrand
Apr 26, 2010 Bertrand rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Robert Holdstock est un conteur qui nous vient des douces vallées de l’Angleterre. Sa terre semble toujours liée d’une manière ou d’une autre à ses écrits, et il nous communique à travers eux ce qui le fascine chez elle.
La chair et l’ombre, c’est l’histoire d’un jeune garçon qui rêve un peu trop fort. Jack Chatwin rêve de Visage Gris et Visage Vert, un couple apparemment venu tout droit des origines de la Terre qui fuit dans un monde lointain un taureau gigantesque qui les pourchasse. Jack va re
Julie
Dec 01, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Every couple of years I reread the works of Robert Holdstock, my favorite author. Ancient Echos is a rich, complex novel, deeply thoughtful, of dark psychological horror, mythology, a brutal time, and the deepest layers of our minds. From a young age, the protagonist Jack has had visions of two otherworldly beings he calls the Bullrunners. As he becomes an adult, he finds that they, and the mysterious realms they come from, are becoming manifest. Jack is partly conduit, partly source, or perhaps ...more
Myridian
Jun 20, 2009 Myridian rated it liked it
Hmm, I haven't been reviewing enough lately. I finished this book a while ago and was not nearly impressed as I had been with the previous Holdstock book I reviewed, Unknown regions. In any case, the story is about a boy who apparently is in tune with some other unknown force. The story follows his struggle into understanding and negotiating his relationship with that force. While the story sounds interesting, it felt telegraphed. Part of the problem for me was that the story covered years of th ...more
Karen
Dec 30, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a "good read." I thought the building of the plot on the fact that sites for modern cities are often the sites for layers of ancient cities or habitats was a creative usge of scientific fact. The fantasy and "horror" had a good mix, too. I could not tell whether or not the ending was designed to leave an opening for a sequel. And, that left me a bit dissatisfied at the supposed death of one of the main characters, which while not likable did evoke some sympathy.
Peggy
Nov 08, 2015 Peggy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think this might have been a precursor to the Mythago Wood/Lavondyss books. It did not hold my interest like those did yet to me gives a glimpse of te genesis of the idea.
Isabel (kittiwake)
'As many as you can find,' Garth answered darkly. 'Glanum has left its shadow across the world, and it has been doing so for longer than you can imagine.'

An odd story, whose incomprehensible premise involves mythical figures generated within a boy's mind (I think?) and the strange behaviour of the ancient city of Glanum. I couldn't make head nor tail of it and the rushed ending didn't make things any clearer.
Salimbol
Aug 07, 2012 Salimbol rated it liked it
[3 and 1/2 stars]
A really interesting concept, blending fantasy, mythology and science fiction. I found myself fascinated by how the author deployed his dreamscapes and archetypes, and I felt that the image of the city hunting through time and space was a very potent one. However, the story had lost steam well before the end, and the protagonist himself always felt thinly characterised to me.
Stephen Hampshire
One of my favourite authors. It's good, but it's a long way short of his best. Bit clunkily written in places, but it does have his knack of imagining really convincing people from the olden days.
Stephen Hampshire
Antoinette
Jan 06, 2012 Antoinette rated it liked it
this could get better, but i can't bring myself to finish it with the pile i've got waiting...
Denisa
Another raring: 7/10
Adam
Mar 31, 2012 Adam rated it did not like it
So disappointing.
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Haley
Haley rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Oweng
Oweng marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Gary Budden
Gary Budden rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Kyri Freeman
Kyri Freeman rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
pan Psax
pan Psax rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Kerryn Griffis
Kerryn Griffis marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Lyle
Lyle marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
  • Harvest (Hyddenworld, #3)
  • Savage City (Romanitas, #3)
  • The Warrior Who Carried Life
  • The Dark Foundations (The Lamb Among the Stars, #3)
  • Le secret de Ji I (Le secret de Ji Intégrale, #1)
  • The Chickens of Atlantis and Other Fowl and Filthy Fiends
  • The Tranquillity Alternative
  • Down Among the Dead Men (Forest Kingdom, #3)
  • Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories
  • Elric: Swords and Roses (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #6)
  • Sabbat Worlds
  • Dangerous Offspring (Fourlands, #3)
  • The Pastel City
  • The White Hart (Book of Isle, #1)
  • Soldier of the Mist
  • The Dragon Charmer (Fern Capel, #2)
  • Madouc (Lyonesse, #3)
  • The Shadowmancer Returns: The Curse of Salamander Street (Shadowmancer, #2)
Robert Paul Holdstock was an English novelist and author who is best known for his works of fantasy literature, predominantly in the fantasy subgenre of mythic fiction.

Holdstock's writing was first published in 1968. His science fiction and fantasy works explore philosophical, psychological, anthropological, spiritual, and woodland themes. He has received three BSFA awards and won the World Fantas
More about Robert Holdstock...