What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life: Ageless Secrets of Style

What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life: Ageless Secrets of Style

2.77 of 5 stars 2.77  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Every woman's closet-no matter the size-is a room of her own. In that space hang side by side the special occasions and the everyday, the triumphs and the disasters, the memories we want to keep and those we should jettison. Gross helps us to reconsider our closet identity and discover who we want to be. She shares her personal journey and the intimate, poignant and often...more
Published May 3rd 2010 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life

Karyn
Not what I was expecting. I picked up this book hoping it would give me a list of simple, classic wardrobe pieces. Rather it was a tirade of how horrible growing old can be and how ones clothes no longer fit as one ages. Not what I was looking for. Thank goodness it was a library book!
Heather
I keep reading that this book is for women over 40, and while I’m not over 40 yet, with the way the years have been flying by since I’ve had children, 35 will turn to 40 in no time at all.

That being said, I don’t think this book is just for women over 40. It’s for any woman who absolutely hates to go into their closet to find something to wear. I am in the category. I used to wear the cutest most stylish clothes and then children hit. I became a stay at home mom. My closet is now full of t-shir...more
Christine
While this book had some great ideas, about half way through I got bored. The author tended to repeat herself and then her tone was kind of snooty. The more I read, the frumpier I felt and there were things I just wasn't able to do for a variety of reasons. Her opinions made me feel like I had no fashion sense at all and some of her beauty hints were just plain wrong for me. Her tips rarely took into account those of us who live on a budget. We can't just go into our closets and makeup drawers,...more
Katie
This book caters mostly to those in the over-fifty age demographic. It contained some interesting info, but was fairly repetitious and not organized in a way that you could easily find the parts you're interested in.
Michelle
I've noticed that the overall rankings of fashion & beauty books are among the lowest of any genre on my bookshelf: that is to say that even the fashion books I love and swear by get really horrible reviews and low rankings from other readers.

Is this because readers are afraid to admit that as average women, they're not millionaire fashionistas? Or is the opposite true -- they feel they can dispense better advice about personal appearance?

This book's strong points are that it's full of great...more
Maria K.
When something deviates from what is considered the appropriate course, making a new path is not only acceptable - it is encouraged.

The theme is picked up by Kim Johnson Gross in her "What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life: Ageless Secrets of Style". The author makes her point by weaving real-life statements and experiences into what is essentially a style guide book.

I want to be clear, I do not agree with her on everything. I am of the school of thought that black does not, in fact, go with eve...more
Lisa Alexa
Great for forty/ divorced women on the rebound. They did have comments from other women about their beauty routine to help balance what may work for you. She's kinda like a mother in the way she writes. Practical and "try it, you may like it." She even looks like my mother. Again, great for aging women over forty or beauty junkies.
Joanie
Won this from a Goodreads giveaway a while back.

I wasn't expecting it to be geared so much towards older women, but I suppose it's a good reference book to have, nonetheless. Kim Johnson Gross packs the book filled with tidbits of info, sometimes a bit too much of the extras with the quotes, but it's all laid out pretty well. I did like the simplistic drawings scattered throughout the book, and it's evident there's effort to design this book to be on the easy side to use.

I might flip through th...more
Sara
May 19, 2010 Sara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: females above the age of 40
This book was well written and can span generations in helping people identify how to pick clothing to wear. I learned some helpful tricks to choosing my clothing but I felt that the book would be more appropriate for someone older who is going through a significate change in their lives. The book seemed to center on women going through menopause or other later in life changes and how to address those concerns without losing themselves. It touched on more then just clothing but also hair styles,...more
Marylynn
This book was a real help for me. We don't stay 25 forever. All of a sudden your clothes don't work for you and you don't know how to shop. Especially now, with the current styles. I purged my closet after reading. Do you know how good it feels not to have anything in your closet that doesn't make you feel good?!

And it talked about loving your body today. Celebrate who you are!

Something I hadn't thought of was how my skin care products and make up no longer worked that well for me. After the boo...more
Judith
Sometimes these books are just chock full of information and other times, they are just chock full of themselves. Perhaps I am jaded because I compare all of this genre to my favorite, "Does this make me look Fat?" by Leah Feldon, which was actually incredibly useful and has withstood the test of time.

This book suffers from such an over abundance of information that in the end, its message seems to be trust yourself and wear what you want. Plus it is filled with boring quotes by alternately fam...more
Melinda Maiden
I would recommend this book for women who are menopausal. The author does spend quite a bit of time focusing on her own issues about menopause versus giving advice. However, the advice is useful and I would recommend the book based on her ideas of how to critically look at your wardrobe, your career, and how to dress for the rest of your life. The quotes from other women interspersed throughout are sometimes insightful, other times annoying. The author's recommendations for dressing your age and...more
Susan Reed
ok, some good info.
Violet
I would have given this book a higher rating but I found all the little conversations placed inbetween the text as more distracting than helpful. The author does cover a lot of ground other than just the clothes you wear. She covers hair, shoes, what to wear with your outfits etc. What did I learn from this book. I need to replace about 98% of clothes I have because everything is to big and that includes the under clothes. Wear what you feel good in, don't let the latest trends rule you.
Polly
Pretty lame. First, I think it needs to be made clear on the cover that although this book is not necessarily only useful for older women, all the examples and quotes are from women over 45. My problem is mainly what to wear for the rest of my working life, definitely not what to were after I've retired, and the latter is what this is mainly about. It's also mainly for people who don't much like clothes and don't know what they look good in, and neither applies to me.
Elizabeth
It had some really nice helpful tips for dressing simply, but it was very much geared towards women near or in menopause. And I am far from that so sometimes it got a bit like, why do I need to know this? But it did have some really nice ideas and now I notice certain ways of wearing things everywhere. So it did train me to have a better eye to the fashion that is around me and how to dress to downplay the bad parts of my body.
Linda
This was a book I won through Good Reads. It was a fun topic to read about, when midlife dictates what we can and can't wear and get away with. I loved some of the ideas such as Style Mentors and looking to them to help us find our own style, but much of the book was a bit repetitious and did not always apply to people in the over 40 crowd. I did enjoy the anecdotal stories and found a few fresh ideas.
Dayini
Jun 12, 2011 Dayini rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: cpl
An entertaining and feel-good read that inspires you to be the best you can be, feel great about yourself while doing it, and never forget that you are a sexy and fabulous woman!

My only critivism is that I didn't feel there was enough practical guidance on what to wear and what pieces to use to build a great wardrobe. Perhaps some bulleted lists would have covered that off.
February Four
It was okay, but it wasn't what I was hoping for. It was just a little too general, for women who needed a pep talk to dress nicely at fifty. It didn't deal with dress codes, protocol, the message you send when you wear X or Y... it was just one of those "it's okay to dress any way you want now that you're retired" things.
Julie
Picked up this little gem at the used book store, and got a few good tidbits out of it. It's a glossy book with lots of graphics, quotes, anecdotes and tips on fashion for the, er, older set. But I won't keep it on my reference shelf, as envisioned. After the first couple chapters, it started repeating itself.
figsfromthistles
For older women, but helpful all the same. Looking for style instructions in prose instead of pictures is probably a slow way to go about it, but it's good background and gave me ideas about where to look. Audrey Hepburn seems to have it all sewn up.
Nicole
Jun 25, 2010 Nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Definitely intended for an older audience, but I still found some helpful bits. Although the stories make it a little more interesting then the typical "wear this" book, it also makes it a bit more difficult to figure out what to wear.
MJ
All in all I’d say practical suggestions for those in their +50s BUT author seems to think we all have huge closets with many, many clothes in them. I have one 5’ rack and that’s it. Other than this quibble the advice seems excellent.
Eden
The first few chapters were interesting and relevant to me (though they didn't go beyond what I learned from Stacy and Clinton on TLC years ago) - but the remainder of the book was aimed at women decades older than me.
Rachel
I liked this book a lot. Lots of great tips, and I found it helpful even though I'm not really in the target age group. My favorite bit of advice to share: The undergarments make the outfit. :)
Kathy
Jul 23, 2010 Kathy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older women
Somewhat helpful and at least reassuring that most of us older women are in the same position of not being secure in what to wear. Helped me to reassess my wardrobe and rework my closet.
Laurie
Great tips for we women of a "certain age." I love when she dubbed her new bulgy tummy "the alien." Haven't we all felt like that at times? Lots of tips from lots of different women.
Kerry
I'd give this 2.5 stars for good intentions but this book is truly a mess. It's really hard to even review it because there are just too many things wrong with it. Sorry.
Gaelen Mccormick
a great style guide for those of us getting towards mid-life, but not wanting to look "dowdy" or be caught in that great chasm of style-less-ness that 40 seems to be.
Manintheboat
For the over 40 set.

Girlfriend needs to throw out the yoga pants. No, you don't get to out in the yoga pants. Nothing "dresses them up."
Dress Smart Women: Wardrobes That Win in the New Workplace Chic Simple: What Should I Wear?: Dressing for Occasions (Chic Simple) Chic Simple Dress Smart Men: Wardrobes That Win in the New Workplace Work Clothes (Chic Simple): Casual Dress for Serious Work (Chic Simple Guides) Men's Wardrobe (Chic Simple)