Start by marking “Shark Girls” as Want to Read:
Shark Girls

Shark Girls

Fiction. SHARK GIRLS is about two women whose lives are transformed by a shark attack that amputates a child's leg. It is narrated by "Scat," the older sister of the victim, now a reformed drunk and a "disaster photographer," alternating with the story of "Gracie," a casualty of a disfiguring accident, who becomes obsessed with "Shark Girl," as the younger sister is known, ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Livingston Press (AL) (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shark Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shark Girls

Amy
Jul 25, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
Set in Hawaii and Maine, Wriston Colbert's novel is a story of accident, coincidence and fate; of the damage people do to themselves and others; of wanting to be left alone and wanting to be found. The story centers on Willa Beever, an 8-year-old girl who loses a leg in a shark attack. Willa also loses her voice -- or gives it up -- and so pieces of her story are told by her sister, Susan Catherine, or Scat, and Gracie McKneely, herself disfigured in a childhood accident, who ends up living in W ...more
Elevate Difference
Feb 04, 2010 Elevate Difference rated it really liked it
Shark Girls presents the reader with something horrific, and turns it into something humane. When a shark attacks 8-year-old Willa, her older sister Scat realizes that their lives are about to shift. At school, Scat becomes the one made fun of, because her peers don’t know what to do with the traumatic situation, but they know it would be mean to make fun of the victim of a shark attack. They have to place their confused and scared feelings somewhere, and so Scat becomes the bearer of their vuln ...more
Sharon
Apr 06, 2011 Sharon rated it it was ok
You know, sometimes literary cleverness just leaves me cold. I had such great hopes for this book, and for the most part did like it, but I'm still not really sure what the point was. The main characters of the book, Scat and Gracie, are vctims of tragedies at very young ages. Each girl struggles against the ensuing events of her life, to what point I'm not sure. Nothing is completed, nothing justified, just endless misery punctuated by the occasional "win" to hint what life could be. The writin ...more
Suzanne
May 07, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Hawaiian mythology, sex, miracles, and sharks - what's not to like? Colbert weaves together the lives of two women affected by physical disabilities. One is the sister of a girl whose leg was bitten off by s shark, the other was dropped on a grill as a baby, leaving her with disfiguring burn scars. The implications of these two accidents are far-reaching, changing the victims' lives and ripping apart families. Colbert's prose is lively and original. This is a strange, beautiful book.
Karen
Jul 29, 2011 Karen added it
Dysfunctional mother-daughter relationships hit a bit close to home and the ending doesn't quite fit the rest of the story but it is worthwhile to read. Best quote? "By now you should know life doesn't always feed you what you thought you were cooking up, now does it! Look at it this way, I was filet mignon in a meat loaf life."
Ken
Feb 09, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it
This the story of two sisters living in Hawaii, which is why I picked this book up I love Hawaii, and they're lives after a shark attack. Interesting and complex, more of a chick story , but a good read none the less. Will have to check into the authors other books.
V
Jan 14, 2016 V rated it it was amazing
Dazzling! A super book with a story so different - I've not ever read anything like it & had no idea what might happen next. I loved the author's style of writing; lyrical, sensuous. What a surprise as I picked it off the library shelf purely based on the title & cover art!
Ken
Feb 09, 2011 Ken added it
Mitch
Nov 10, 2009 Mitch rated it it was amazing
Great fiction that tells the truth of female human experience in our time. Unlike "chick lit" which tells us what we want to hear, this gets inside what we are. A gifted writer.
Dot
Dot rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2010
Shana Ross
Shana Ross rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2010
Delphine Pontvieux
Delphine Pontvieux rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2010
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2011
Madelyn Reilly
Madelyn Reilly rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2016
Allie
Allie rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2012
val killpack
val killpack rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2011
Fran Chang
Fran Chang rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Maura
Maura rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Lea
Lea rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Lorelei DeMesa
Lorelei DeMesa rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2010
Jess
Jess rated it did not like it
Aug 23, 2010
Jen
Jen rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Pharr
Pharr rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2011
Emily Dammer
Emily Dammer rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Abigail Perry
Abigail Perry rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2013
T.
T. rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2010
Mitch
Mitch rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2009
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015