Prairie Rose

Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,107 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Hope and love blossom on the untamed prairie as a young woman searching for a place to call home happens upon a Kansas homestead during the 1860s . . . A Town Called Hope, the inspiring series set in post Civil War Kansas, is the creation of best-selling romance writer Catherine Palmer. In the fast-paced "Prairie Rose, " impulsive nineteen-year-old Rosie Mills takes a job...more
Published April 16th 2009 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published August 8th 1997)

Mary
Little did I know when I started reading this book, how much I would like this author. She wrote a lovely story of a poor orphan girl who would just like to have a life outside the orphanage. She was passed over many times by families looking for a child just because she wasn't the prettiest or strongest little girl. But the orphanage itself, enjoyed her help there with the other children so much, they really didn't want her to leave as a young adult. But, she did figure out a way to leave. Gent...more
Daisy
This is the first book I've read by Catherine Palmer, and I must say it was an enjoyable read. It was easy to like Rose from the very beginning, and I loved to watch her grow both as a person and spiritually. However, this isn't the first book I've read of late where the primary characters (the ones that we know will ultimately grow in love and get married) don't talk to each other. Historically, is it thought that men and women simply never shared their thoughts with one another? There were a n...more
Tammy
This is the first book I have ready by Catherine Palmer and I really enjoyed it. I love the touch of the inspiration fiction with the historical romace setting. I look forward to reading others by her.
Shantelle Mary
A sweet romance set on the vast and unpopulated prairie of Kansas. I enjoyed this story of frontier men and women, of unexpected, almost funny, oppurtunities, of family ties, of all-surpassing love... of a sunshine named Rosie, and a man wanting to prove himself, but too afraid, named Seth. And the little boy, unsure of anything after being taken away from the grandparents who raised him, little Chipper.
For the most part, Prairie Rose was an interesting story that held me captive. Near to the...more
Elizabeth
Great beginning! I really liked the German guy. I felt sorry for him!
Anita
I read this book in a day as I found it was so good. Catherine Palmer is a new author to me and I am on book three in this series now. I find her a very good writer and the book a good story. It weaves in tradition of the time on what they called "foundlings" accurate. They were shunned as if they were diseased. Rosie was worse than an orphan she was found as an infant so therefore the term "foundling" applied to her. To live with that scorn and to blossom and bloom into the lovely lady she beco...more
Abigail
This was nearly going to get a four-star rating from me--it was refreshingly light on the angsty-ness, not overly inside the character's heads, the characters had time to get to know each other to make their falling in love plausible, and there weren't any ridiculous plot twists. However, it stretched my credulity a bit that Rosie was so eager to leave the orphanage that she didn't even say good-bye to any of the children there--some of whom were presumably her friends or who would have been hur...more
Rachel Thompson
I downloaded a free copy of this for my e-reader.

Rosie is an orphan who has always dreamed of having a family and a home of her very own, but she's lived in an orphanage her entire life and no one's ever wanted her. After she saves Seth Hunter's life, she finds out he's looking for an orphaned boy to help him on his homestead, but he's being pursued and needs to get out of town as quickly as possible. The orphanage director doesn't seem all that interested in giving up one of her boys, so Rosie...more
Kyra Dunst
I don't normally read frontier novels, but something about this one caught me from the start. Rose is an unconventional women for her time, but she is sweet, loyal, and hard working. All she wants is a family, but when Seth begins to catch her heart, she isn't sure if he is the man for her. I would recommend this book to others.
Lily Pilly
There is something about this story that was incredibly haunting and heart warming....and that was the name of the heroine...when you read about it, you'll find yourself all choked up with emotions.....A wonderfully written sweet story....I loved reading it.
Joanna
I really enjoyed this book. I love Rosie, she is such a energetic,strong-willed and faithful girl. Yes this is a christian story. (I always laugh at reviews where people are upset about this concept.) Rosie has such a strong love and faith in God, I was so inspired and it made me see things I want to strengthen in my own walk with Christ.

Seth is a man who is returning home from the civil war only to find the wife he left has passed away and he has a son. He picks up his son and on the way home...more
Kathryn
I loved this book. I hated having to put this down and would loved to read it in bigger chunks of time. This was the 1st book I read by the author and freebie at that. I will definitely be reading the other 2 in the series and others by Catherine Palmer. It has a heavy Christian theme, but is not preachy. It is refreshing to read a book that doesn't get all hot and heavy into sex scenes. I use to not like Christian romances at all, but I just didn't read the right authors. This one was a fantast...more
Gail Starr
I liked this book for several reasons. I like historical fiction & novels. This story is in the pioneer days of settling the prairie. It's good to read this information and realize what our ancestors went through to settle this great country. I can't even begin to imagine the life they had and the sacrifices they made. Life was truely hard, hard work especially. This book not only includes some history and life circumstances, but some intrigue and romance.
Laurie
Catherine Palmer is an above-average writer of Christian romance fiction. She's obviously spent quite a bit of time on her research for this book. I liked the characters and situation, but some overly-obtuse moments, especially on the heroine's part, and her implausible decision near the end, were a little disappointing. I still think her contemporary novel, "The Happy Room," about the adult children of former missionaries, is her strongest book.
Cindy
Rosenbloom Cotton Mills, also known as Rosie, has grown up in an orphanage in Kansas City, Missouri (1865). When Rosie saves Seth Hunter from being attacked by his brother-in-law she sees a chance to leave the orphanage and help Seth and his son. Rosie falls in love with Seth but feels she can never marry because she was an illegitimate child. Eventually, her Bible reading shows her the truth. This book was a light, funny read.
Jane
This was one of the first books I read by Catherine Palmer probably nearly 9 or 10 or so years ago but I can't remember for sure. Decided I might as well read it again cause after so long the detail fade but I remember liking the story. After reading it again, I still like the story however many years later is it.
For some reason I think this series reminds me of the Reardon Brothers/ Valley series by Dianna Crawford.
Stephanie
I'm a fan of books based in the homesteading/westward movement part of U.S. history, and this one, while not one of my favorites, was well-based in the lifestyle and events that occurred to the settlers. Overall, the characters were somewhat complex, the romance, while taking a little long to develop for me, was genuine, and I loved the development of the little mismatched family.
Andrea Stoeckel
This was a great book I downloaded after reading a post on the NOOK blog praising the author. An orphan on a whim chooses an adventure over the drudgery if being the ildest "Cinderella" at the orphanage. And in doing so hekps a widiwer and his son move forward into a future that's hard, but wonderful as they help homestead the plains after the Civil War. Very good book
Debra
I really enjoyed this book. Loved how the heroine almost always had a positive outlook despite many hardships and being an orphan- kind of puts my trials in perspective. The view of life on the frontier was very interesting and made me think about whether I could have lived in such a world. Interesting characters. I plan to read more of his author.
Sue
Rosie is 19 and an orphan. While praying in a tree one day, she observes a fight, and gets involved. Then she ends up travelling out West to Kansas to look after a small boy for a surly farmer.

It's all a bit predictable for American prairie-style light Christian fiction, but a pleasant read with well-rounded and believable characters.
Karen
I really enjoyed this book, much more than I expected. It's a heartwarming story - a mix of romance, adventure and Christian values. The characters are endearing and It all comes together as a light, enjoyable read. There are a few writing missteps (Chipper doesn't always sound his age, for example) but the book is still a pleasure.
Larik
This love story is so gentle it makes me smile each time i see it. Some men especially the ones that were in war have seen so much cruelty that without realizing it they bring it home upon their children and they need a gentle loving woman to open their eyes and bring gentleness into their life... Its a great read for all!!
Amy Budge
This was a cute book. An easy read, it also had nice flow to it. It's refreshing to read a book that stresses the importance in faith in a loving God
Iamsherbear Too
Rosie Mills is a delightful character. If you are a fan of the Hallmark movies, Love Endures, etc., you'll love this book!! It is clearly a wonderful historic romance book that if it hasn't already been made into a movie, it should be. I was sad to come some quickly to the end. It was a joy to read.
Tasha
I loved this book!! I was funny, and romantic. The heroine jumped (literally) on top of a man to keep him from shooting the hero. LOL.. That was in the first few pages. I had to read it after that!!! So if you like romance novels don't forget about this book.
Joni
This book is set in the 1800's, shortly after the conclusion of the Civil War. The story starts in Kansas City, then moves to the area of the prairie between Topeka and Manhattan. It is a quick, entertaining book with an uplifting plot.
Sandy
I would have given this three stars, but it was a little too preachy. The characters were not as well developed as I would have liked. I am going to read the sequel, though, because I cannot imagine those two characters ending up together.
Mariah
Light reading and predictable but still enjoyable. Christian fiction that does tend to be a little overboard on the preaching. I agree with another reviewer- if you like the Hallmark Movies you will enjoy this.
Mandy
Town called hope series is amazing as well. They are good Romace novels and if you like back in time novels. This is a good series for that type of thing. Catherine Palmer's books are really easy to get hooked on. ;)
Julia
My first book by Catherine Palmer and I found it to be a very good christian book. The story takes place on the prairie out of Topeka, Kansas in the mid 1800's.
A wonderful story of hope. A good read for everone.
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Faith  (Brides of the West #1)
  • Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)
  • Ransomed Dreams
  • Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa
  • Before the Season Ends
  • No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West, #1)
  • The Vigilante's Bride (Texas Rangers #1)
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • On Sparrow Hill (The Oak Leaves #2)
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • Surrender the Wind
  • Lady in the Mist (The Midwives, #1)
  • The Preacher's Bride
  • My Heart Remembers
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Sons of Thunder
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)

Catherine Palmer lives in Atlanta with her husband, Tim, where they serve as missionaries in a refugee community. They have two grown sons. Cathy is a graduate of Southwest Baptist University and holds a master's degree in English from Baylor University. Her first book was published in 1988. Since then she has...more
More about Catherine Palmer...
A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1) The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2) Finders Keepers The Affectionate Adversary (Miss Pickworth Series #1) English Ivy (English Ivy #1)