Start by marking “Thaw (PsyCop #1.1)” as Want to Read:
Thaw (PsyCop #1.1)

Read Book

Thaw (PsyCop #1.1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,522 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
Victor Bayne is a PsyCop, a psychic medium who sees dead people as plainly as if they were alive. People assume that Vic's psychic abilities are his only talent, but in Thaw, he shows his boyfriend Jacob that he's got other secret skills up his sleeve.
ebook, Free Read, 4 pages
Published February 3rd 2008 by JCP Books (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Thaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thaw

Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsSticks & Stones by Madeleine UrbanFish & Chips by Madeleine UrbanArmed & Dangerous by Abigail Roux
Gay and Sexy Characters 40+
67th out of 282 books — 324 voters
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline CareyMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyAsh by Malinda LoThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
LGBT sci-fi and fantasy
70th out of 846 books — 709 voters

More lists with this book...

Shurrn
A sweetly romantic interlude...
His lips tasted like winter. His face was cold, even his mouth, but his tongue was hot as he pressed it against mine.
Vic and Jacob take some time to enjoy the Christmas season with a trip to Chicago's ice rink...

No murders...
Only a few ghosts...
And a whole lot of warm fuzzies.

This was a little tiny story - just a little glimpse into the unfolding romance between Jacob and Vic.

READ ALL MY REVIEWS IN THIS SERIES:
I'll update the list as additional books are publi
Nancy
Jan 23, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This sweet, humorous, short story shows a brief glimpse into the lives of Vic and Jacob, the main characters in the Psy Cop series, when they are not busy fighting crime.

Download e-book or audio for free here.

Audio version narrated by Gomez Pugh.

Ingela
Written January 5, 2014

4 Stars - Amazing cute 'V&J' teaser in a few pages

Book #1.1

A winter shortie in the interesting crime-paranormal M/M series PsyCop. (Reviews: (view spoiler) )

***********************************************************

The PsyCop Victor Bayne, at workdays a psychic medium, shows here his (new) boyfriend Jacob Marks that he's got other secret skills up his sleeve. A winter... ice
Susan
Dec 11, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing

Gah! I loved this short! It was so freaking sweet!

Our boys go ice-skating!!!! How cute is that?

"The whole night with him felt like something stolen out of a much simpler, much happier life. Only it was actually mine."

Awwwww...*sigh*...

Gigi
Absolutely adorable ice skating short with Vic and Jacob.
Maya
Jan 17, 2016 Maya rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story

Sweet. But maybe it should've been placed after book 2?
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
*happy sigh*

Ice skating. I do love it so. And now I can picture Vic and Jacob loving it, too.

Vic is so great at letting us see so much of Jacob. I love that, too.

Oh and uh, don't mind telephone pole guy.
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Jan 07, 2015 R * A Reader Obsessed * rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
A too quick, but sweet glimpse at these two. It warmed the heart and made me smile.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
A sweet (very) short read about my PsyCop boys.
Tina
Jan 04, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, crime, paranormal

That's a sweet short story about Vic and Jacob and some ice skating. It's sweet to see them do something so mundane together. :)

“Do you know how happy you make me?” he said.
Good thing it was too dark in that alcove to get a good look at his eyes. That would’ve been way too much. I swallowed hard, the metallic taste at the back of my throat from skating hard mixing with the cool flavor of Jacob’s kiss.
“Same here,” I said.

So sweet.

*deep sigh*
Sheri
Aug 30, 2013 Sheri rated it it was amazing
A flash of a scene with Vic and Jacob, but an incredible flash.
*melts*
Ice skating? How frickin' romantic is that?
LOVED IT!
Kathryn
Jun 05, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
This is a very sweet and short story featuring Vic and Jacob on a date. I liked reading it as it took place between books 1 and 2 and going back to that time of the stories, before certain things happened, was interesting and fun. I need to track down the rest of the PsyCop short stories, especially since I will eventually run out of the books.
Shelley
Apr 22, 2013 Shelley rated it liked it
The boys go ice skating.

They share a few sweet looks.

Vic shows off.

The End.
Wandering Reader
So beautiful in its simplicity.

So much feeling in so little words.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jan 03, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it really liked it
That one was REALLY short but a very nice little treat.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a very short little introduction to the main characters in the PsyCop series. There isn't much of a plot, it's more of a character study, but it's adorable and sweet and a delightful read. There is also a tiny little bit where one of them slips on the ice and the other makes a dry joke that is a perfect glimpse of what the longer stories are like. I highly recommend this short and the whole series.

This story is free on Smashwords.
Sara
That was too short and too freaking cute. I love Vic and Jacob! Ahh! Ice skating? Really? And poor Vic always getting shoved up against something. First the towel rack and now a door knob. But, how could he complain at all when Jacob is the one doing it? Le Sigh.
Tara♥
Jan 07, 2015 Tara♥ rated it really liked it
Awwww this was just all kinds of sweet. A very, very short story but it is a lovely look at how sweet Vic and Jacob are together.
Ami
Jan 02, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
It is such a sweet story about Victor and Jacob; when they're not busy handling cases from their PsyCop duties. I really REALLY love this one because it feels so homely and cute, the way both of them simply skate together *sigh*
Bev
May 23, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Psycop fans

A little freebie from JCP's website involving Victor, Jacob and some ice-skating. Oh, and there may have been some hot making out as well I think. 4 stars and onto book 2!!
Momof3-in an Ash and Cael sandwich
cute...i wonder how I would have felt about the relationship development if I had read these little shorts in between instead of skipping to the next full length novel
L-D
Aug 14, 2011 L-D rated it really liked it
This was just a cute short. It really had no plot or purpose - just depicted one scene in the life of Vic and Jacob. But it was cute and I enjoyed reading it.
Jenni
AWW, Jacob and Vic go on an ice skating date.
And Jacob goes all Jacob on Vic in a dark, recessed doorway on the walk home.
HUBBA HUBBA, people.
⊱ Irena ⊰
Feb 05, 2014 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it really liked it
Jacob and Vic's date. I am melting how wonderful this is.
Gina
Sep 14, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing
Awww...This was so sweet... *sigh*
Pia
Mar 28, 2015 Pia rated it it was amazing
This was very short but oh so sweet.

A must read for anyone reading the series, although chronologically it's a bit further along than between book 1 and 2 I noticed. So if you're strict about not wanting to be spoiled, you mind want to wait until you're further along in the series before you read this. But do read it because it's absolutely delicious.

Loved it!!
Valérie
Mar 31, 2014 Valérie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-books
Jacob romantique et Victor heureux...9 petites pages pleines d'humour avec un duo détonant
Tara
8/21/13- I'm re-reading this series because let's face it, my memory isn't what it used to be and the new book is coming out and I'm excited. And when I read the last book I was having trouble remembering details. So that said, I agree with what I previously said, and will only add that as far as when to read it, as long as it's after book 1 you're fine.

5/22/10 Even though it was party of the series, it really didn't have anything to do with the paranormal elements of the series, so I'm calling
Riayl
Jan 22, 2014 Riayl rated it really liked it
Very sweet little glimpse at Vic and Jacob during time off. My favorite thing about it was the way Jacob watched Vic the whole time, like he was the only person/thing he could see.
Inked Reads
Jul 18, 2015 Inked Reads rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
FiveStars
5 Sweet Stars!!

Siiigh! More Victor and Jacob, and in a sweet, short story!

I love getting to know these tough-ass cops, on a more personal, romantic level.

I enjoy every word of Jordan Castillo's writing. It is thoughtful, and heartfelt. I know we expect men to be tough, but sometimes it is REALLY nice to see a vulnerable side. It doesn't make them weak, just very human! And that's what I get when I read Jordan Castillo's words...warms my heart!!

Still reading this series, and loving it!
I
  • Getting It Right (Life Lessons, #1.8)
  • Date Night (Zero at the Bone, #1.1)
  • The Hell You Say (Adrien English Mystery, #3)
  • An Inner Darkness (Bay City Paranormal Investigations, #5)
  • Infected: Freefall (Infected, #4)
  • Consequences (Dominion, #2.1)
  • The Ghost on My Couch
  • Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)
  • Irregulars
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price is the owner of JCP Books LLC. Her paranormal thrillers are colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison.

Jordan is best known as the author of the PsyCop series, an unfolding tale of paranormal mystery and suspense starring Victor Bayne, a gay medium who's plagued by ghostly visitations. Also check
More about Jordan Castillo Price...

PsyCop (9 books)
  • Among the Living (PsyCop #1)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop #2)
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Wood (PsyCop, #3.2)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop #5)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop #6)
  • Memento (PsyCop #6.2)
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop #7)